Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Helos rock and you guys suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Scratch Monkey posted:

Helos suck and you guys rock

Ftfy

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

When I'm on the flightline sometimes the control tower gives me and my truck the right of way to hover-taxiing helos so I'd say helos and I are equal in our worth; an uneasy alliance.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've staged off of every parachute rated helo in the US Army inventory from 1988-1995 and I still love to fly in them. I can't hear worth a poo poo anymore, but I love riding in helos.

Hope you're not one of the guys who did a Cobra jump at Benning.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've staged off of every parachute rated helo in the US Army inventory from 1988-1995 and I still love to fly in them. I can't hear worth a poo poo anymore, but I love riding in helos.

That's great, sir, but I asked if you would like any churros.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Wibla posted:

Spoiler alert: it can get really loving rough. Also: helo pilots are INSANE.

Oh ye of little faith

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wibla posted:

Spoiler alert: it can get really loving rough. Also: helo pilots are INSANE.

One of our crew chiefs, formerly of the 160th, looked at the RAF’s Chinook airshow demo and said “not with me in it.”

https://youtu.be/30eBkUTQQYQ

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Awww :3:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MrUnderbridge posted:

Hope you're not one of the guys who did a Cobra jump at Benning.

Nope. but I have skid jumped a Little Bird.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

They ended their careers after bragging about it. They could have gotten away with it, but couldn't keep quiet.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

MrUnderbridge posted:

They ended their careers after bragging about it. They could have gotten away with it, but couldn't keep quiet.

What's the story here?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

quote:

The thing is, helicopters are different from airplanes. An airplane by its nature wants to fly and, if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces and controls working in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in the delicate balance, the helicopter stops flying, immediately and disastrously. There is no such thing as a gliding helicopter.

This is why a helicopter pilot is so different a being from an airplane pilot, and why in general, airplane pilots are open, clear-eyed, buoyant extroverts, and helicopter pilots are brooders, introspective anticipators of trouble. They know if anything bad has not happened, it is about to.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Sounds like I'm a natural helo pilot then lol

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

And then you see that whole idea turned on its head when you seep chopper pilots harvesting Christmas trees.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Helos are deathtraps and their pilots are insane!

Also I'm don't wear seatbelts anymore cus I don't wanna get trapped in a possible car fire after an accident.

"Sir this is a Wendy's drive-through."

WHO YOU CALLING SIR I WORK FOR A LIVING?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Phanatic posted:

One of our crew chiefs, formerly of the 160th, looked at the RAF’s Chinook airshow demo and said “not with me in it.”

https://youtu.be/30eBkUTQQYQ

It’s a shame that vid doesn’t show the ground for context, I think it’s even more nuts than it looks. I saw this display at Ascot when we went to the Red Bull Air Race there. The pilot was called Charlie Brown!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

What's the story here?

Since Benning has the airborne school, a couple of instructors decided to jump in a way nobody else had. So they geared up and with a willing Cobra pilot, got into the empty ammo bays. This was early 80's before extra electronics got wedged in there. They went up to jump altitude, rolled out and got picked up by another accomplice after landing.

Command knew about it, but weren't going to do anything until the guys decided to tell everyone what they'd accomplished. Once word got out, command cracked down, the two jumpers had their careers cut short, and I didn't hear about the pilot and the get away driver, but doubt it was a pleasant experience for them either.

Not just a barracks tale, as I heard about it from Dad, who was in the command chain when it happened.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MrUnderbridge posted:

Since Benning has the airborne school, a couple of instructors decided to jump in a way nobody else had. So they geared up and with a willing Cobra pilot, got into the empty ammo bays. This was early 80's before extra electronics got wedged in there. They went up to jump altitude, rolled out and got picked up by another accomplice after landing.

Command knew about it, but weren't going to do anything until the guys decided to tell everyone what they'd accomplished. Once word got out, command cracked down, the two jumpers had their careers cut short, and I didn't hear about the pilot and the get away driver, but doubt it was a pleasant experience for them either.

Not just a barracks tale, as I heard about it from Dad, who was in the command chain when it happened.

While it still sounds like a sea tale, it sounds like a completely real and factual one to me, and I love it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/mathew_dev/status/1431773734549999623?s=20

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If I'm gonna get sniped I'd rather it happen without the sore feet.

Also, the fuckin' heat from that must be miserable.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/HayesBrown/status/1431808358722543619

:shepface:

"While you were designing sensible payloads, I studied the blade..."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Hellfire's going to be the first missile to run out of variant letters.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It’s not explosive. It just becomes this giant death knife star thing.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I found this article about what's known about it: https://www.bellingcat.com/resources/how-tos/2021/08/26/the-telltale-traces-of-the-us-militarys-new-bladed-missile-r9x/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I saw a report on where they had used one in Yemen maybe? where it had killed one dude sitting in a car, but everyone else in the car only had minor injuries from shattered glass, and the immediate and complete voiding of their bowels.

I mean, drone striking someone is always going to be hosed up.

edit: there you go, clearly the memory was wrong, anyone else in that car was probably toast.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vince got in trouble for trying to slap his troubles away.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Memento posted:

I saw a report on where they had used one in Yemen maybe? where it had killed one dude sitting in a car, but everyone else in the car only had minor injuries from shattered glass, and the immediate and complete voiding of their bowels.

I mean, drone striking someone is always going to be hosed up.

edit: there you go, clearly the memory was wrong, anyone else in that car was probably toast.

I might be pulling it out of my rear end but I think I remember it basically being one with an inert or training warhead, so just 100lbs of missile hitting someone at max ~1k mph.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
They used it on Soleimani. No warhead, just multiple giant blades popping out at the last second. Everyone inside the vehicle and the vehicle itself shredded.

This Twitter thread documents examples. Absolutely demolished.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mmissiles2/status/1277691975391641602

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 29, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

AlternateAccount posted:

They used it on Soleimani. No warhead, just multiple giant blades popping out at the last second. Everyone inside the vehicle and the vehicle itself shredded.

This Twitter thread documents examples. Absolutely demolished.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mmissiles2/status/1277691975391641602

This is the type of stuff I’m talking about when I tell people that humans, specifically those in western countries, are bored.

We need to invent new and exciting ways to kill people.

That’s boredom.

It’s psycho and sociopathic.

But it’s boredom as a species.

I think half the reason chuds want to be the main character in a 24 episode is there’s nothing left for humans to do or discover and we subconsciously realize space exploration is probably out of reach.

If this was a nature documentary, this would be the point in evolution where the bugs ran out of things to do so they eat each other.

E: bored may be the wrong word. “Lack of purpose as a species” may be more appropriate.

E2: and the evolution timeline is a long one. I think we’ve been bored as a species for a long, long, long time.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 29, 2021

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

The swords have speed holes

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
E: Forgot which thread I was in, my b

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

While I admire the desire to reduce collateral damage, I’m not sure sword missile is the right choice

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Internet Wizard posted:

While I admire the desire to reduce collateral damage, I’m not sure sword missile is the right choice

it's the only choice

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I didn't like The Matrix films but when the agent guy says humanity is a plague he sure nailed it. edit: should specify modern man, things were fine for a good while

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 29, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Lets not apply the failings of the United States to all humanity.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
yeah don't want the glorious actions of the British and Dutch East India Companies lumped in there. modern goes back a far ways

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Grip it and rip it posted:

Lets not apply the failings of the United States to all humanity.

We're not doing anything unique or new, we're just doing most of it more quickly and efficiently than previous empires.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Godholio posted:

We're not doing anything unique or new, we're just doing most of it more quickly and efficiently than previous empires.

It's Shake 'N Bake and I helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Yikes

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1432041318742695937?s=20

How it started:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/27/us-marines-stuart-scheller-video