Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Chimera ant arc ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

There's a weird tendency in long-running cartoons where early on characters can just Do Cool poo poo and there's no need to explain how they Do Cool poo poo beyond them being able to Do Cool poo poo, then 15 arcs later the creator feels the need to make Doing Cool poo poo a cohesive magic system with laws and rules.

Adventure Time, critically, never does this. Characters just Do Cool poo poo all series.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

One day I will finish chimera ants, and maybe then I will understand

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Augus posted:

Chimera ant arc ftw

Only complaint is criminally low amount of Hot Murder Clown in that one.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Froghammer posted:

There's a weird tendency in long-running cartoons where early on characters can just Do Cool poo poo and there's no need to explain how they Do Cool poo poo beyond them being able to Do Cool poo poo, then 15 arcs later the creator feels the need to make Doing Cool poo poo a cohesive magic system with laws and rules.

Adventure Time, critically, never does this. Characters just Do Cool poo poo all series.

This is why JoJos is the best shounen, because every time you think it’s settling into a setup it flips the script. You think Gyro’s steel ball fuckery is a stand? Nah bro, it’s ancient Italian martial arts. That guy with a face full of bees? His body just does that, no explanation. Here’s a random street in Morioh that robs people, and fruit that turns you into a remix.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Froghammer posted:

Rules systems get the imagination going, for both the audience and the author, inspiring them to come up with weird abilities. It also lets fights become more about mindgames, the fighters puzzling out each other’s abilities, and creatively applying their own powers rather than constant power creep.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Augus posted:

Rules systems get the imagination going, for both the audience and the author, inspiring them to come up with weird abilities. It also lets fights become more about mindgames, the fighters puzzling out each other’s abilities, and creatively applying their own powers rather than constant power creep.
Every rules system brought up in this thread literally did the exact opposite of what you're saying.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Terrible Opinions posted:

Every rules system brought up in this thread literally did the exact opposite of what you're saying.

nen owns, sorry

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

This is why JoJos is the best shounen, because every time you think it’s settling into a setup it flips the script. You think Gyro’s steel ball fuckery is a stand? Nah bro, it’s ancient Italian martial arts. That guy with a face full of bees? His body just does that, no explanation. Here’s a random street in Morioh that robs people, and fruit that turns you into a remix.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Augus posted:

nen owns, sorry
At least the animated version of HunterHunter would have been massively improved by just editting out the majority of narration explaining people's emotions and super powers, and cutting out parts of scenes where nothing is happening to accommodate that narration. The visuals already communicate 99% of what's going on without issue. The narrator just serves to make it worse.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

At least the animated version of HunterHunter would have been massively improved by just editting out the majority of narration explaining people's emotions and super powers, and cutting out parts of scenes where nothing is happening to accommodate that narration. The visuals already communicate 99% of what's going on without issue. The narrator just serves to make it worse.

Nah.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

No. It's good, sorry.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No. It's good, sorry.

But it could be so much better!

Don't accept mediocrity.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No. It's good, sorry.
Yeah show is pretty good, but generally the earlier stuff had much better pacing than chimera ant, which really should have been edited down. Not to remove anything that actually happened but just let it play out at a more natural speed and trust the audience to understand what's going on from the clearly communicated visuals rather than insist they be told point blank my a narrator.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Libluini posted:

Don't accept mediocrity.

It's one of the absolute kings of the Shonen Genre and the anime is good. It's not accepting mediocrity.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Libluini posted:

Don't accept mediocrity.

Man if you don't want to accept mediocrity you might as well throw 80% of all anime in the trash.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Archer666 posted:

Man if you don't want to accept mediocrity you might as well throw 80% of all anime in the trash.
yes, correct. that's not a loss

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i like mediocre stuff

it's alright

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Ivypls posted:

i like mediocre stuff

it's alright
This is a better joke than it has any right to be

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Junpei Hyde posted:

This is impressive when you consider than nen is already very bad

Permaban.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The more I watch HxH the more my brain turns into soup

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

jesus christ

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

chimera ant arc is good but also feels like an entirely different anime. like despite a handful of consequences permanently affecting the status quo it's totally incongruous with everything that occurs before and after

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dongicus posted:

jesus christ

Was he in hxh

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Junpei Hyde posted:

Was he in hxh

No, but do you know what long-running shounen action series he is in?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Is it JoJo?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Joshua bar Joseph himself

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Shaman King, yes

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

nen is just stands + chi with the notable difference that is it over-explained for zero benefit. there is no balance that is lie you were told that togashi himself barely stuck to for like a single arc. The GOAT power system is jjk's because it can be anything but missing out on a power's full potential if you don't explain it to the opponent actually balances things out because you get to have the mystery and then also two or more people duking it out on an even playing field.

Also togashi uses narration as a crutch and if what you're getting out of it is some sort of implied tension I've never, ever felt that because there's no way to parse what info matters and what info is white noise.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Archer666 posted:

Putting the number as low as 80% is definitely accepting mediocrity.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

All the fighty anime has a Thing. Maybe your anime’s Thing is comicbook superpowers, magic weapons, schools of sorcery, or high-tech gizmos, but you need a Thing and all Things have rules specifically for that critical scene when your protagonist breaks a rule to beat the bad guy. Bonus points if your bad guy also broke a rule.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

All the fighty anime has a Thing. Maybe your anime’s Thing is comicbook superpowers, magic weapons, schools of sorcery, or high-tech gizmos, but you need a Thing and all Things have rules specifically for that critical scene when your protagonist breaks a rule to beat the bad guy. Bonus points if your bad guy also broke a rule.
"that critical scene" has never existed, it's always "those half dozen very similar scenes".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if characters doing a fight move, then spending 15 minutes discussing the move and flashing back to a time when they learned the move or had a character moment, is not your thing, then you probably will dislike more than just hunter hunter but also 95% of shonen anime

time for you to get into josei and healing shows

i recommend barakamon

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Mild take: Yu Yu Hakusho is better than Hunter X Hunter

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Read webtoons/Korean Manga. I'd recommend Solo Leveling and Weak Hero as two opposite ends of the spectrum.

If that's too much to ask, read Kengan Asura.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The 7th Guest posted:

if characters doing a fight move, then spending 15 minutes discussing the move and flashing back to a time when they learned the move or had a character moment, is not your thing, then you probably will dislike more than just hunter hunter but also 95% of shonen anime

time for you to get into josei and healing shows

i recommend barakamon

The constant, needless exposition is why I've pretty much stopped watching anime entirely. Which is kinda funny because I do enjoy slice of life shows and stuff like Tatami Galaxy but even in shows like Mob Psycho 100 I loving hated that clown guy that basically became a floating exposition ball.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Alacron posted:

Mild take: Yu Yu Hakusho is better than Hunter X Hunter

Overall? Yeah i'd agree to it, but HxH's heights are waaay up there.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Yusuke remains the best shonen protagonist

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Junpei Hyde posted:

Was he in hxh

Wrong! Jesus exists in Hunter X Hunter's fantasy world, as does Judas and the story of Judas betraying Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Garrand posted:

The constant, needless exposition is why I've pretty much stopped watching anime entirely. Which is kinda funny because I do enjoy slice of life shows and stuff like Tatami Galaxy but even in shows like Mob Psycho 100 I loving hated that clown guy that basically became a floating exposition ball.
again, though, mob psycho 100 is shonen. it's gonna have that stuff.

If you like Tatami Galaxy, watch Get Your Hands Off Eizouken by the same creator Masaaki Yuasa (or Ping Pong, or his many films)

i haven't watched a TON of series to the end in the last few years but the ones I have generally aren't shonen anime. Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun (originally a 4koma), Parasyte (seinen), Death Parade (anime original), Yona of the Dawn (shoujo), Snow White with the Red Hair (shoujo), ACCA-13 (seinen), Bakarina (light novel, shoujo), Kaiji (seinen). It does mean that when I open the Crunchyroll or Funi app I have to basically avoid the Featured lists because it's all gonna be stuff like Fairy Tail and Black Clover and other poo poo I don't care about... so I usually have to use search to find the specific anime I've read about elsewhere and add them to a queue and then I can just ignore the rest of the app.

That said, this season's not a great one to jump back in on, it's got a lot of duds. Watch stuff from last season instead like Odd Taxi. Or go back and watch some classic stuff. I give this advice knowing I won't take it myself because I'm spending all my free time playing video games instead. :X

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 30, 2021