Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Man I fuckin love mushrooms.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

DildenAnders posted:

I have 1.4 lbs of ground beef, and an excess of onions and carrots. I'd like to make some meat sauce. How much carrot, onion, and tomato sauce should I add to that amount of ground beef?

If you happen to be blessed with onion abundance again, you could try rigatoni alla genovese which is simple as hell and takes forever to cook but if you like onions, hoo boy. It's delicious. Yes, 6 pounds of onions is rather a lot of onions as onions go, but you wind up with a caramelized onion paste sauce with fall apart tender beef, or you could save the beef for another dish if you wanted to be (apparently) authentic about it, but you shouldn't.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

but it also does this better than any other method I've tried:

Skins came right off like Grave of the Fireflies.

So speaking of -- Babish has a new video showing exactly this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAKW8RB6aeU&t=177s

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
Not a question, but I figured at least some people in this thread might be interested to know that there's currently a Humble Bundle of Williams Sonoma Cookbooks. (There's a little over 19 days left.)
The $4, $10, and $18 marks are 4, 11, and all 34 cookbooks, respectively, and this bundle's associated charity is No Kid Hungry Connection.
The eBooks are DRM free and you get access to both PDF and ePUB formats.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

angerbeet posted:

If you happen to be blessed with onion abundance again, you could try rigatoni alla genovese which is simple as hell and takes forever to cook but if you like onions, hoo boy. It's delicious. Yes, 6 pounds of onions is rather a lot of onions as onions go, but you wind up with a caramelized onion paste sauce with fall apart tender beef, or you could save the beef for another dish if you wanted to be (apparently) authentic about it, but you shouldn't.

I'm now out of onions and ground beef, but I'll definitely give this a go next time I want to make some sort of pasta stuff.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like the part where I get to smell simmered onions for 8-10 hours.

No seriously sign me up.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

No seriously sign me up.

I would have to be tied down like Odysseus with the sirens.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

This is a uselessly broad request, but can someone sell me on South American food?

I live somewhere where it's not very commonly available, and the occasional chances I have had to try a few dishes have been disappointing. Which is a shame, because it all looks very interesting. Tell me what I'm missing?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Like what kind? That's way too broad.

Pick a region.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I have a bunch of fresh thyme in the garden and I'm looking for ideas of how I can enjoy it months later, like stews or meat dishes or condiments/building blocks I can pull out of the freezer in December. Anybody got any ideas? Maybe some kind of fresh garlic and herb meat rub starter?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Drying and herb butter for sure.

Make some stock in advance with it and freeze into cubes.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Like what kind? That's way too broad.

Pick a region.

Brazil?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Have you ever had grilled meat and said "I wish more citrus and chimichurri was involved, and this was served on a stick or sword?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

Have you ever had grilled meat and said "I wish more citrus and chimichurri was involved, and this was served on a stick or sword?"
How did you know?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Brutal Garcon posted:

This is a uselessly broad request, but can someone sell me on South American food?

I live somewhere where it's not very commonly available, and the occasional chances I have had to try a few dishes have been disappointing. Which is a shame, because it all looks very interesting. Tell me what I'm missing?
Disappointing how? Tell us what you ate, and what you felt was wrong with it.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Torquemada posted:

Disappointing how? Tell us what you ate, and what you felt was wrong with it.

The thing that prompted this was a chicken xinxim (sp?), which sounded interesting but tasted like a particularly gutless satay. I'm very willing to believe that the place I got it from just sucks - like I said, not many options around here.

(I was trying to be vague on purpose, I was hoping people would chime in with whatever good thing they happened to know about)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Peruvian food is among the most delicious of foods. Really can't go wrong, but the classic is lomo saltado

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Two Brazilian recipes I love are feijoada and seafood stew. Feijoada is beef stew with black beans and the skillet deglazed with orange juice after browning the meet. The recipe I use is from Cuisine at Home, but there are tons of them out there. The seafood stew recipe is from ATK: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/10603-brazilian-shrimp-and-fish-stew-moqueca

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

No seriously sign me up.

even the instant pot version is insanely good

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883589&perpage=40&noseen=1

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I was following an Instant Pot Jambalaya recipe last week, and the first step had me saut some andouille sausage slices with oil, which resulted in a sticky caramelized layer on the bottom of the pot, that I could barely budge by scraping with the spatula.

I removed the sausage, as instructed, but despaired thinking that the sticky stuff would cause problems when it came to sauting other ingredients, or the eventual pressure cooking.

The second step had me toss in cubed chicken breast for sauting, which almost instantly lifted the caramelized layer onto the chicken itself, leaving the pot almost spotless.

What exactly happened here, chemically/culinarily?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
You deglazed the pan with chicken juices/steam.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well, that or the ghost of Paul Prudhomme did a a little Cajun miracle :ghost:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Meat smell question :siren:

I got 1kg of pork today and it has a... not great smell. I'm not that experienced with this, and I don't know if the smell is because the meat is spoiled or if it could be something else. I feel like I've smelled a similar smell in butchers or food markets before, and maybe it's just a normal meat smell? lol i dunno

anyway, normally I wouldn't risk it but where I am I am currently unable to go out and buy food due to the pandemic. Food delivery is also difficult. This pork was sourced through my landlord. I still have other food to eat, but 1kg of pork is quite a lot to throw away in the current situation.

The meat looks fine fwiw, and I ate a small piece of a non-smelly part earlier and that hasn't affected me at all. But that piece was separate from a much larger, smellier piece.

I just washed it and am hoping the smell might go away, but if not... what do you reckon?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pork often smells really funky when you first get it out, if the bit you ate was fine, Id say the rest is probably OK.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Cook it. Theres a big gap between funky and rotten: if it smells bad even after its cooked get rid of it. Anecdotally Ive only had this happen three times in a long life of cooking, twice with a fabulously expensive piece of beef filet and once with a fabulously expensive chicken.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Cooked a little bit of it and it smelled fine after cooking. It tasted ok I think, I kind of can't tell if it still had a note of the smell in the taste or if that was just the smell lingering in my kitchen/nose.

I read about boar taint and it sounds possible that's it, although it seems that smell usually occurs during cooking, whereas this one seemed to go away when cooked

will report back here if I die

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If you think its OK and you cant really tell, its very likely fine. There is a finely tuned evolutionary response to smelling bad meat, you would absolutely know if you needed to throw it away, because you would start retching at the smell

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I think I actually will throw it anyway, the smell is really pretty unpleasant and preparing it makes me not want to eat it. It's probably safe but the whole thing just kind of feels gross now

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Paperhouse posted:

I think I actually will throw it anyway, the smell is really pretty unpleasant and preparing it makes me not want to eat it. It's probably safe but the whole thing just kind of feels gross now

This happened to me once and I kept thinking about it any time I got meat so I was vegetarian for a few weeks. I still don't really like cooking chicken or pork anymore but I'm back on beef and fish at least.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Was it vacuum-sealed? Vacuum-sealed pork always smells awful when you open it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
drat shame to waste good meat like that

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Was it vacuum-sealed? Vacuum-sealed pork always smells awful when you open it.

Yeah, you need to wash vacuum packed meat to get the nastiness off.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Well the other thing that made me wary is that I was simply handed it loose in a plastic bag and it wasn't cold. I'm in Vietnam in the middle of a strict lockdown and at the moment we're supposed to order food to be delivered by the army. I don't know if that's actually where it came from, I don't know how old it is or how long it was out of a fridge before I received it.

I did wash it and the smell didn't go away so idk. I've never had this issue when buying meat from the supermarket

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If the smell is still there after washing than yeah, it's probably not safe. Especially if the color is off. It should be light pink to a modest red.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Paperhouse posted:

Well the other thing that made me wary is that I was simply handed it loose in a plastic bag and it wasn't cold. I'm in Vietnam in the middle of a strict lockdown and at the moment we're supposed to order food to be delivered by the army. I don't know if that's actually where it came from, I don't know how old it is or how long it was out of a fridge before I received it.

I did wash it and the smell didn't go away so idk. I've never had this issue when buying meat from the supermarket

For sure, go with your gut, because it's your gut that's at risk. If it seems off, don't let the internet convince you to eat it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Paperhouse posted:

yeah that is all crucial information and much more important than "not great smell"

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I have started using stainless steel pans more. Whenever I do high heat cooking my pans get very dark colored stains on them, I think its baked in oil or something. However just scrubbing with soap and water doesn't always seem to get those stains off. I kinda ignore it because it doesn't seem to effect much but I guess I should check if A) is that ok to do, or B) how can I properly clean those pans if soaking an scrubbing isn't enough.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Send a photo? Couple of things which match that description.

In general, barkeeper's friend and/or a dissolved Finish tablet for scorched / baked-on oil. Safe scrubbers are brillo/plastic/wood, then copper wool, then steel wool which can scratch the finish.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Skyarb posted:

I have started using stainless steel pans more. Whenever I do high heat cooking my pans get very dark colored stains on them, I think its baked in oil or something. However just scrubbing with soap and water doesn't always seem to get those stains off. I kinda ignore it because it doesn't seem to effect much but I guess I should check if A) is that ok to do, or B) how can I properly clean those pans if soaking an scrubbing isn't enough.

baking soda and simmering water has always gotten any gunk Barkeeper's Friend wasn't able to remove for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Skyarb posted:

Yeah I think it's ok, it's quite literally what happens to seasoned cast iron. Cast iron is coated in a layer of polymerized cooking fat which prevents the iron from being exposed to oxygen.