Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i didn't really care that much when caesar died, it's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That reminds me JoJo had a nazi cyborg at one point.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
stroheim is a good boy

*except for the experiments on women and children

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It's so weird how advanced cybernetic technology existed in the JoJo world in the late 1930s, but then technology just marches onward as normal after that point. I think Joseph's prosthetic hand is the only other example of weirdly futuristic technology after Battle Tendency.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheLoneStar posted:

It's so weird how advanced cybernetic technology existed in the JoJo world in the late 1930s, but then technology just marches onward as normal after that point. I think Joseph's prosthetic hand is the only other example of weirdly futuristic technology after Battle Tendency.

And apparently the Speedwagon Foundation can even make a similar one for dogs according to Iggy. So they can do advanced prosthesis, whole body blood transfusions, and vampire-killing UV lamps and that's it for advanced future-tech.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Too bad the anime didn't include this bit

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

FirstAidKite posted:

Too bad the anime didn't include this bit

Wow Josuke went even farther back in time!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also wow I completely forgot about the mystery baby in jjl, I guess it was even less memorable than a lot of the other random mysterious things spread through part 8

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The many forms of Iwasuke Higashikata, The Rock Dog

The case can be made that this isn't a series of design changes so much as it's longform trolling by Araki

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 29, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Just finished reading Jojo part 4 and my professional opinion of the parts:

4: best so far, great cast, great weird stands, the villain was a real standout and Bites The Dust is a complete bullshit power, I love it.

3: I hated most of this part, which is really disappointing! Too much toilet humor or weird gross/creepy stuff in it (e.g. rapist ape, pedophile dude who could turn people into kids). I loved the cast, so seeing the stories not...be good was really frustrating for me. THAT SAID the ending with DIO was amazing, almost made the whole thing worth it.

2: I adored a lot of this part. Been a while since I read it or watched it, but I really, really liked it and the Jojo in it (so seeing him show up in 3 and 4 was a treat!)

1: My second favorite part, it's so wrapped up in gothic horror ultra-violence tragedy weirdness. I also remember it vividly as I've read it at least 3 times, as every time I wanted to read Jojo I'd start from here and only sometimes finished it. But then I did and it was awesome. The anime rocks too!

Onwards to part 5!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FirstAidKite posted:

Also wow I completely forgot about the mystery baby in jjl, I guess it was even less memorable than a lot of the other random mysterious things spread through part 8

That's Shizuka

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

some of the encounters in part 3 really highlight araki's love of weird horror stuff to drive a plot and there's definitely a few times where it veers into territories where it can be pretty uncomfortable for reasons that i don't really think are all that necessary. like yeah it accomplishes what he was going for, but drat. this sort of thing happens a couple more times throughout the series but overall stardust crusaders is probably the most concentrated with it.

part 4 is very much a standout for a lot of people, though, so it's fun to see another person agree with that. 4 and 7 in particular tend to be higher up on people's lists even given differing tastes, so there's that to look forward to with steel ball run.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm also not really a fan of Part 3, but I think it comes into its own when the gang gets to Egypt. The two D'Arby fights are exquisite, and then immediately contrasting that the Pet Shop and Vanilla Ice fights are also pure concentrated shonen.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Part 3 is where Araki's "I just watched a movie and now must write a chapter about it" tendency is on full-blast.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Part 3 is where Araki's "I just watched a movie and now must write a chapter about it" tendency is on full-blast.

Yeah, this. Almost every single fight in part 3 can be mapped to some major horror movie or horror story that would have been released between the late 50s to late 80s.

Waffleman_ posted:

That's Shizuka

That's impossible because we could see the baby and they didn't have sunglasses on

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What mystery baby are we talking about?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The zombie baby Blue Hawaii forced Gappy to surrender to?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The baby that washed ashore right after Johnny died wearing some jewels and a cap. Maybe an early proof of the rock humans?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

The baby that washed ashore right after Johnny died wearing some jewels and a cap. Maybe an early proof of the rock humans?

Oh I assumed that was Dainenjiyama, since we learn about the baby at around the same time we fight him, I think, and the hats are similar. They're not exact, but that's my best guess.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
I feel like parts 1 and 3 come off more disappointing initially and hold up better when watched later for their own sake, and then 2 seems a lot better compared to them but on rewatch is much slower than i remembered.

1 is really tightly put together and doesn't drag out its gimmicks and 3's character stuff holds up better with 5 for comparison

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The highs of Pt3 are great, like D'Arby Sr, Vanilla Ice or Dio, but the lows are lowwwww. And a lot of the monster of the week fights just feel like forgettable filler.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Did the orangutan with a boat stand work for Dio or was he just boatin around? I forget

Still reading the Jorge Joestar novel, pretty suprised to see another alternate Morioh, Kira Yoshikage, and President Valentine. Passione was also just mentioned at the end of the chapter where I left off for now. So far the novels are alot better than I had hoped.

The one thing I wasnt too suprised about but glad to read was we get a little more insight about what happened in that Coffin with Erina and Dio

Mr.Acula fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 30, 2021

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

dr.acula posted:

Did the orangutan with a boat stand work for Dio or was he just boatin around? I forget

I was going to say yes, but technically I don't think it's ever confirmed in canon.

Love that Dio had access to the stone arrow and possibly shot an orangutan, a bird, a baby... then Akira lived up to his legacy by giving the same gun to two rats.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!
My JoJo hype has gone out of control in the last couple weeks for some reason and I've been listening to the OSTs and finally decided to start reading the manga because I can't wait for anime release schedules. I'm amazed at how easy it is transitioning to reading the Stone Ocean manga after only watching the anime... it's insane how well Araki explores the strange little environments he builds. The sniper rifle stand into the goo hallucination segment was just an absolutely beautiful way to create a classic JoJo moment and then show how this series is progressing beyond that.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mentioning best fights in part 3 and not mentioning Oingo Boingo and Hol Horse/ Boingo fights. shameful.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

dr.acula posted:

Still reading the Jorge Joestar novel, pretty suprised to see another alternate Morioh, Kira Yoshikage, and President Valentine. Passione was also just mentioned at the end of the chapter where I left off for now. So far the novels are alot better than I had hoped.

The one thing I wasnt too suprised about but glad to read was we get a little more insight about what happened in that Coffin with Erina and Dio

I haven't read Jorge myself, but from what I've heard you're in for a wild ride. But you also might want to keep in mind that it's not canon to the main series.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I haven't read Jorge myself, but from what I've heard you're in for a wild ride. But you also might want to keep in mind that it's not canon to the main series.

Aw really? drat that would explain why Dio seems to have a stand while in the coffin already, before even getting the arrow

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

mentioning best fights in part 3 and not mentioning Oingo Boingo and Hol Horse/ Boingo fights. shameful.

Oingo Boingo might legit be in my top 10 fights of the series because every moment is gold. It even spoils the punchline at the beginning, so you can concentrate on the insanity going on.
Iggy bringing the team trash orange and them going "Oh, that'll be a nice gift for Kakyoin" is the funniest poo poo.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vookatos posted:

Oingo Boingo might legit be in my top 10 fights of the series because every moment is gold. It even spoils the punchline at the beginning, so you can concentrate on the insanity going on.
Iggy bringing the team trash orange and them going "Oh, that'll be a nice gift for Kakyoin" is the funniest poo poo.

You think Kakyoin does the weird tongue cherry thing but with a whole orange?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Does anybody have a satisfying explanation for the flash forward now that we have the full story?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Does anybody have a satisfying explanation for the flash forward now that we have the full story?

Tsurugi's near-death hallucination

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The theory I've seen gain traction is that the flashforward is actually not one single contiguous scene. Tsurugi going upstairs to retrieve Norisuke's bodybag was actually sandwiched in the middle of chapter 108, between Kaato dying on page 23 and Tsurugi dragging Norisuke's bodybag into the garage on page 25. The earlier half of the flashfoward is actually a moment further from the past that Tsurugi is reminiscing on while he's going upstairs to get Norisuke's body.

So yes this would mean that immediately after Tsurugi lost his father and grandmother he goes upstairs to drag his grandpa's body down and his family inexplicably does not help him do this, and while he's doing that he reminisces on the time his uncle creeped on his aunt and also does a long monologue about how stands are like underwear, all the while with a blank sinister expression on his face for no reason.

Araki focuses way more on emotional catharsis rather than logical catharsis and it'll drive you batty if you don't just let it go.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 2, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume the original plan was for Norisuke to discover the plant and be taken out by Joubin a bit earlier in the story.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The flash forward also had a countdown to the Locacaca harvesting that isn’t accurate either. I think the only explanation is that Araki changed his mind.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Kei's entire purpose was to deliver a cellphone :(

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

Kei's entire purpose was to deliver a cellphone :(
Kaato's entire purpose was to throw her grandson at a Rock Human.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kaato at least got to fulfill her purpose in a real cool way.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TheLoneStar posted:

Kaato's entire purpose was to throw her grandson at a Rock Human.

This is the destiny of every grandmother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope one of the characters in Part 9 is a mysterious man with a baby arm.