Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

etalian posted:

I'm curious if the 3rd Booster Shot would take longer for waning effectiveness to kick in or if it will be 6 months for the next shot?

Compared to the peak 2nd dose it really cranks up the Max titers like crazy.

Pfizer said in their Q2 earning report slides that antibodies against Delta were still increasing at the 1 month mark for booster recipients, so hopefully in their next earning report in 7-8 weeks they'll give us trial data showing 3 month antibody levels

If they maintain or are still going up, that's a very good sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

herd immunity!

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

lol my kid’s teacher just told me my daughter confronts kids who dicknose their mask and rats out non mask wearers on the regular and I literally am proud as gently caress rn

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mr Hootington posted:

If you mask up and do an outdoor activity like a zoo trip you and the kiddos should be fine. Reunite the family. :)

counterpoint:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Where are the group of kids who were diagnosed with ADD and given Ritalin when in reality they didn't have ADD and were just rambunctious kids that were forced drugs on them

Thats my group

that's every kid that's a normal kid who wants to run around and play with their friends instead of sit perfectly still in school for 7 hours a day

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Hollismason posted:

I recommend looking into a nearby Shambala Center. There's a few around the nation. They usually have open classes over zoom where you can join and meditate. They're based in the Tibetan Buhhdist tradition , but its not super overt that's just their background. Their pretty welcoming to whoever. Its a good chill organization.

I did look into one and was thinking about it, so you pretty much pushed me off the fence here so I'm going to do this when/if the pandemic dies down. They had guided meditation classes offered on their online brochure so yeah I would assume that buddhists are all aligned on the idea that meditation is the application because you can't practice buddhism if you don't do it, regardless of what school.

namaste

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cr0y posted:

Wait what

HOW DO I COUNT MY TITERS

that's for COVID patients, not vaccinated people

Max Titers is safe

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I recommend looking into a nearby Shambala Center. There's a few around the nation. They usually have open classes over zoom where you can join and meditate. They're based in the Tibetan Buhhdist tradition , but its not super overt that's just their background. Their pretty welcoming to whoever. Its a good chill organization.

I was reading the other day about the sexual abuse and coverup problem in the leadership of the organization. I don’t know enough about it to really comment on what’s up, but big yikes! Doesn’t mean the local centers are problematic, but definitely worth knowing about and looking into.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Lastgirl posted:

I did look into one and was thinking about it, so you pretty much pushed me off the fence here so I'm going to do this when/if the pandemic dies down. They had guided meditation classes offered on their online brochure so yeah I would assume that buddhists are all aligned on the idea that meditation is the application because you can't practice buddhism if you don't do it, regardless of what school.

namaste

I ran across one of these the other day near the beach. at first I was like "the gently caress is there a gong on the beach?"

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

just got notice my kids school has 2 Covid cases a week after opening. a kindergartner and an 8th grader. according to the principal since the 8th grade class for the most part is vaccinated they can return to school upon proof of vaccination and the whole kindergarten class is out of school on quarantine.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

text editor posted:

this r/HermanCainAward one actually has a few gems in the screenshots:
First image to set a baseline

Need to get some kind of DNR in place for myself that says "if a doctor ever gives you the choice between let him go peacefully, and literally anything else, choose peacefully"

according to the thread, he's dead now

unless you’re under 50 yes

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is a hilarious way to discover cspam is populated entirely by the weird kids with good reading comprehension who were all forced into the same questionable school programs.

that's a good chunk of SA. even the parts of twitter that get posted here too. "what was your gifted student program like" topics all get lots of responses. its very boring.

now the gifted kids are the ones without brain fog.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

DarkEuphoria posted:

I was reading the other day about the sexual abuse and coverup problem in the leadership of the organization. I don’t know enough about it to really comment on what’s up, but big yikes! Doesn’t mean the local centers are problematic, but definitely worth knowing about and looking into.

This is the first I've ever heard of it but I don't pay attention to much to those sorts of things. All the centers are kind of independent of each other I think. But that's loving wild

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

I'm confused. How does that work? If your body doesn't make antibodies, how does the disease end? Like how can you both fail to make antibodies to a pathogen, but also survive it? Like shouldn't the number of people who fail to produce antibodies for a pathogen correspond quite closely to the CFR? And even the most doomer of us all would acknowledge that the CFR of COVID-19 isn't remotely close to 36%.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

when I was a kid, another kid said that G & T (Gifted & Talented) stood for "the gay tour" and I got so mad that I cried

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Hollismason posted:

This is the first I've ever heard of it but I don't pay attention to much to those sorts of things. All the centers are kind of independent of each other I think. But that's loving wild

Yeah, I came across this when I was looking for info about my local center to see if it was something I might be interested in checking out, and was wondering what the larger organization was about. I think I was just reading the Wikipedia page about shambhala international, which mentions it briefly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lmfao I forgot about the gay tour. sick burn.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Judakel posted:

gifted and dyslexic is a contradiction

actually dyslexia and dysgraphia are quite common in gifted kids.

there are gifted kids, who have a learning difference , basically poo poo happens out of order, that sucks and is often similar to (and concurrent with especially in boys ) ADHD.

and there are “gifted” kids who are high achievers whose parents want to get a label and better teachers.

guess which one nearly every program in the US is geared for

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
*opens google image search, types the words "tempting fate" and smacks Enter*

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao loving worthless

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Hard to know how to track it all, but I found a tool that says my school district, open for one week, has had 80 cases in the last two weeks. we have 17500 students. the city’s district has 150 cases; our hick capital city has 98.

We are wearing masks by mandate; I can’t imagine hick city is.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
lmao at 75-95% effectiveness for preventing hospitalisation. whoops!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Atrocious Joe posted:

that's a good chunk of SA. even the parts of twitter that get posted here too. "what was your gifted student program like" topics all get lots of responses. its very boring.

Only 10% of people regularly write anything online. The internet is self-selected to be full of content from this subset, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're more likely to have been gifted kids. Not necessarily smarter, because "gifted" for young kids is basically "do you read for fun?"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Casey Finnigan posted:

ah the one on the left obviously has been granted greater intellectual gifts than the one on the right

basically think of anything we teach.

now imagine getting parts mastered really early and other parts inexplicably later. being out of order makes fitting into the normal pattern instruction problematic. they hold you back from doing the things you are advanced in. they make you repeat endlessly the poo poo normal learners have a problem with. simultaneously they think you are being intentionally oppositional with the parts you are not advanced with.

and then this happens for everything not just school.

and they are very obviously and pretty easy to pick out. they tend to be extremely emotionally intense, often because there is gap between what they think they can do and what they can actually do.

both kids are eating paste. the gifted kid is also melting down and throwing a tantrum because you keep mispronouncing etselfietzulyackotal when they ask you endless very specific questions about a single volcano in Iceland.

it’s not dissimilar to autism, but the gifted kids eventually catch up on the things they lag rather than not being able to do them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm confused. How does that work? If your body doesn't make antibodies, how does the disease end? Like how can you both fail to make antibodies to a pathogen, but also survive it? Like shouldn't the number of people who fail to produce antibodies for a pathogen correspond quite closely to the CFR? And even the most doomer of us all would acknowledge that the CFR of COVID-19 isn't remotely close to 36%.

I would assume they produce antigens but not antibodies, or the infection is low-level enough that it just doesn't ever go away but doesn't get noticeably worse, i.e. long COVID.

RadDickOwl
Aug 18, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

imagine getting parts mastered really early and other parts inexplicably later. being out of order makes fitting into the normal pattern instruction problematic. they hold you back from doing the things you are advanced in. they make you repeat endlessly the poo poo normal learners have a problem with. simultaneously they think you are being intentionally oppositional with the parts you are not advanced with.

Thank you for the trip down poo poo memory lane.

Don't think it's necessarily impossible to catch up when you have autism tho.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
It was cool being hosed with like I was an adult when I was a kid, would have been nice to know the word "gaslighting" lmao

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

yeah it’s super duper concentrated in SA in a really improbable way.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I would assume they produce antigens but not antibodies, or the infection is low-level enough that it just doesn't ever go away but doesn't get noticeably worse, i.e. long COVID.

I'm not terribly familiar with biology, but I thought antibodies were what your body used to fight off pathogens? If you're not producing them, then what is stopping a pathogen from replicating endlessly and causing death? Like how could you get a disease that stays the same and doesn't worsen without having antibodies?
And if lacking antibodies is to blame for long COVID, why don't long COVID sufferers transmit the virus? Shouldn't they be just as infectious at month 3 as they were on day 7?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

lmao at 75-95% effectiveness for preventing hospitalisation. whoops!

What's the 95% confidence interval for CDC prediction being right?

I'm assuming it lies within the 0.0 to 20.0 range?

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Qcifer, the star of dawn.

My girlfriends mom is coughing uncontrollably in the house and is in denial of possibly having Covid, this is great. I love boomers saying “i just need some tea and cough drops” when you can tell they are almost coughing so hard that they are almost throwing up.

Also fully vaxxed and works at a hospital. Hoppin for the beast.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

McNugget Buddy posted:

Pfizer said in their Q2 earning report slides that antibodies against Delta were still increasing at the 1 month mark for booster recipients, so hopefully in their next earning report in 7-8 weeks they'll give us trial data showing 3 month antibody levels

If they maintain or are still going up, that's a very good sign

It would also be interesting see what sort of Max titers get produced for different intervals of time for the 3rd dose 5 months vs 8 months.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

RadDickOwl posted:

Thank you for the trip down poo poo memory lane.

Don't think it's necessarily impossible to catch up when you have autism tho.

I had a thread on it for a while. but the new hotness was posters insisting the learning difference wasn’t a real thing. so it didn’t last long.

I somehow as trailer trash lucked into the best program in the country and didn’t find out everywhere else sucked rear end until goons started talking about it.

lol the real kick in the ball is the heritability when one has kids.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Omg shut up about gifted kids nobody cares we're all in our 30s ffs

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Grifted children

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

actually dyslexia and dysgraphia are quite common in gifted kids.

there are gifted kids, who have a learning difference , basically poo poo happens out of order, that sucks and is often similar to (and concurrent with especially in boys ) ADHD.

and there are “gifted” kids who are high achievers whose parents want to get a label and better teachers.

guess which one nearly every program in the US is geared for

no actually they're stupid

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Rubby posted:

ONLY YOUR RESPIRATOR TRUST

I guess I should repost this for the new thread since I am a SHAMELESS CLOUT PARASITE. If anybody wants these in no way Limited Edition shirts...

:w00t: Get yer piping hot t-shirts (or mugs or face diapers) here :w00t:

https://rubby.threadless.com/designs/no-one/mens/t-shirt/regular?variation=front&color=black

They even threw a free shipping code for anything over $45: FREESHIP821 until 8/22

There are even baby and kids sizes, which, lmao

[picture removed]

Finally came today! Also ended up ordering the double sided one in black v neck to be cut into a tank top, excited for it to arrive

Lovelyn fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 28, 2021

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

I care about gifted kids

Brink back fishmech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

it’s why I gotta risk my kid going back to school and what made remote so harmful.

lol it’s probably going to be why I’ll get covid.