Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Ulf posted:

traditionally you are not supposed to keep the accents on capitals in French (but this is changing).

are you sure? most people don't write them cause it's a pain to do so with an azerty keyboard. but, in theory, accents are a part of properly written French and there's no reason capitals should be exempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
when windows is set to norway as region, it treats aa as a single character in some contexts (because it’s an official way of writing å in systems with pure ascii)

this leads to some funny things, like files beginning with aa sorted after all other alphabet characters and windows notepad will be unable to find the character a in a sequence of an even number of a’s

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ulf posted:

forgot to answer the specific question about French vs German capitalization rules. really it’s french vs everyone else in this case but every locale has quirks like this.

in french accents on capitals are optional, so in French locale ë == Ë == E but in German ë == Ë != Ë

so what does your filesystem do if your German user makes two files E.txt and Ë.txt, puts it on a drive and gives it to their colleague on the other side of the Rhine?

Dutch, even though it's a Germanic language, uses the same rules as French for accented capitals. As in, you're not supposed to use them on capital letters.
(Maybe because of Napoleon who tf knows)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bourricot posted:

are you sure? most people don't write them cause it's a pain to do so with an azerty keyboard. but, in theory, accents are a part of properly written French and there's no reason capitals should be exempted.

in practice many French writers omit accents for capital letters. it’s the common case (ha!) in France, though the Académie française says you should use them. (in Québec they’re more commonly included, because they are more sticklery about language rules than are the actual French)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ymgve posted:

when windows is set to norway as region, it treats aa as a single character in some contexts (because it’s an official way of writing å in systems with pure ascii)

this leads to some funny things, like files beginning with aa sorted after all other alphabet characters and windows notepad will be unable to find the character a in a sequence of an even number of a’s

yeah it can get a little weird on macos too, but i dont think its ever bit me in the rear end

quote:

a
aa
å
aaa
ä
á
à

4 results when searching for 'a' (only finds the 3rd a in 'aaa', ä is equivalent to æ and doesnt match):

3 results when searching for 'å' (only finds the first two a's in 'aaa'):

e: fun fact, "so that" used to be spelled 'saaat', ie. 'saa-at' (now spelled 'så at')

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 31, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

in practice many French writers omit accents for capital letters. it’s the common case (ha!) in France, though the Académie française says you should use them.
The academy is a bunch of grumpy old white sticklers and nobody gives much of a poo poo about what they say.

Subjunctive posted:

(in Québec they’re more commonly included, because they are more sticklery about language rules than are the actual French)
This is 100% true and will never stop being funny

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah it can get a little weird on macos too, but i dont think its ever bit me in the rear end

4 results when searching for 'a':

3 results when searching for 'å':

"aaaaaaaaaa" is conveniently also my response to having to think about the finer points of text transformation and character encoding

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

ymgve posted:

sucks if your name is aaron

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There is no real capital form of the German sz character ( ß ). Well, since 2017 there is one but it doesn't see much use: ẞ

Now, the rule is that when your font has no ß available, use ss instead, and same when capitalizing a word with an ß. (Do not use B, Scheiße and Scheibe aren't the same word).

This can lead to slightly weird situations in some cases, because the ß is used after a vowel with a long pronounciation while ss is used after a vowel with a short pronounciation.

The sentences "Ich trinke Alkohol in Maßen" (I drink alcohol in moderation) and "Ich trinke Alkohol in Massen" (I drink alcohol in bulk) both get capitalized to "ICH TRINKE ALKOHOL IN MASSEN", and the meaning becomes ambiguous.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

French omitting accents on capitals is mostly a relic of typewriters not handling them properly, and it is correct to require them now that technology can do it right. it is in fact one example of how poor technical support for actual world requirements can influence the real world to adjust to its bad tech.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MononcQc posted:

French omitting accents on capitals is mostly a relic of typewriters not handling them properly, and it is correct to require them now that technology can do it right. it is in fact one example of how poor technical support for actual world requirements can influence the real world to adjust to its bad tech.
99% of the French don't even handwrite accented capitals.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

99% of the French don't even handwrite accented capitals.

Uppercase letters were accented consistently starting with the middle ages when standardization came up. The printing press had fixed size characters which made uppercase accented letters trickier, but they handled them by engraving smaller uppercase letters with diacriticals on top. Later printing machines were tricked by using above-row letters which the accents in their lower bleeding space, which let them be superposed to the capital underneath and giving normal-sized accented letters.

The total removal of accents on upper case letter came with typewriters of English manufacturing (monotypes and linotypes) starting in the late 1800s, which wouldn't handle them at all and had no way to make these special cases. There always were problems for title words like 'A MAN MURDERED' or 'A MAN MURDERS' where the past tense is 'TUÉ' and the present tense is 'TUE' and where removing the accent changes the whole meaning of the sentence (from murdered to murderer). Other famous ones are 'GISCARD A LA BARRE' ('Giscard is in control') and 'GISCARD À LA BARRE' ('Giscard is testifying at a trial'), which became an issue for a French presidential election in the 70s.

For standard typewriters, it involved manually going backwards, adjusting your line height, and typing the accent above the proper letters, and most people couldn't be arsed to do it (the same way they may not go back and accent some letters when writing cursive full speed if it didn't impact word meaning)

Essentially, cheap printers dropped the accents and careful ones kept them, but over decades of industrialized printing and presses and typewriting and even computers that wouldn't support proper accenting, the whole French sphere more or less adjusted and said "you know what? Fine, don't accent on capitals anymore" because it was messy and complicated to do on a technical level. This got internalized by most people writing over generations, which in turn, made people not sure they should use uppercase accents when they finally could with computers supporting non-English languages.

I grew up being taught that accent on capitals are not required unless they alter meaning, even when writing by hand in school, because that's simpler than being taught more sets of rules (which French already has plenty of). But with technology finally making it easy, a couple of centuries later, most significant French standardization bodies are pushing for it and asking for accented capitals to be the only way to go.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 31, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

The academy is a bunch of grumpy old white sticklers and nobody gives much of a poo poo about what they say.

This is 100% true and will never stop being funny

yeah if there's one thing I know about french it's that quebec is way more into it (and assholes about it) than france itself and that's hilarious

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MononcQc posted:

i hope nobody's still being taught to double space after periods or put end of sentence punctuation inside quote marks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
non-english languages should just be abandoned rather than trying to cater to all their stupid, pointless edge cases.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shaggar posted:

non-spanish languages should just be abandoned rather than trying to cater to all their stupid, pointless edge cases.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

Ikke-skandinaviske sprog bør bare opgives snarere end at forsøge at imødekomme alle deres dumme, meningsløse kant tilfælde.

i'll never not lol at machine translation

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

i hope nobody's still being taught to double space after periods
had to do this in business communications and still have a hard time breaking the habit. apple keyboards turning doubles spaces into period-space has been great for me

Shame Boy posted:

or put end of sentence punctuation inside quote marks
the loving mark of the beast

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shaggar posted:

non-english languages should just be abandoned rather than trying to cater to all their stupid, pointless edge cases.

gå jävla dig själv

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i suppose if your language can be represented as a subset of english characters than it can stay

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm glad the anglo empires are in decline

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

i hope nobody's still being taught to double space after periods or put end of sentence punctuation inside quote marks

end of sentence punctuation inside quote marks is the correct way to do it in latvian

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

cinci zoo sniper posted:

end of sentence punctuation inside quote marks is the correct way to do it in latvian.

ftfy

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

i suppose if your language can be represented as a subset of english characters than it can stay

curiously this doesn't include english

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
So uh... is this thread remarkably linguistically diverse (for a US message board), are polyglots overrepresented in the security community, or what? This is all super interesting to me, but this is not the subforum where I expected to read it.

Shame Boy posted:

put end of sentence punctuation inside quote marks

I only recently learned that this is no longer/was never the case and it feels SO GOOD to move that fuckin period to the end of the sentence where it belongs.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BrianRx posted:

So uh... is this thread remarkably linguistically diverse (for a US message board), are polyglots overrepresented in the security community, or what? This is all super interesting to me, but this is not the subforum where I expected to read it.

I only recently learned that this is no longer/was never the case and it feels SO GOOD to move that fuckin period to the end of the sentence where it belongs.

SA is an international board, even if we are based in the US. Its a mistake to assume people here are American, and I would guess maybe 50% of the board is.

Lots of Canadians

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BrianRx posted:

this entire conversation took place during eu office hours, whom do you expect to post more

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

end-of-sentence punctuation inside quotes is an American thing. afaik euro/british english has always done it the better way.

i dont know if kids are still taught to put the punctuation inside the quotes, but that's definitely what was taught when i was in high school.

i generally put punctuation inside the quotes if the quote's punctuation matches the surrounding sentence's punctuation. if the quote's punctuation is different and the surrounding sentence's punctuation is a period, i use the quote's punctuation (inside the quotes obviously). otherwise, drop the quote's punctuation and put the surrounding sentence's puncuation outside the quote

what i do is probably the worst of all possible worlds tbh but here we are

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

end-of-sentence punctuation inside quotes is an American thing. afaik euro/british english has always done it the better way.

i dont know if kids are still taught to put the punctuation inside the quotes, but that's definitely what was taught when i was in high school.

i generally put punctuation inside the quotes if the quote's punctuation matches the surrounding sentence's punctuation. if the quote's punctuation is different and the surrounding sentence's punctuation is a period, i use the quote's punctuation (inside the quotes obviously). otherwise, drop the quote's punctuation and put the surrounding sentence's puncuation outside the quote

what i do is probably the worst of all possible worlds tbh but here we are

it's not really an american thing it's a "typewriters will explode if you do it the other way" thing that got stripped of its context and stuck around as a false rule of the language

e: actually i think it might have been that linotype machines would sometimes have the period snap off if it was at the end or something like that, so people saw it in newspapers and newspaper style guides and then it just became A Thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ive litterrally never heard of end of sentence punctuation in quotes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

well yes, most people don't say the punctuation when they speak

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
He retorted with the old standby, "That's what she said."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

according to wikipedia it is in fact known as "american style", so i guess i'm wrong, though i swear i read that linotype thing somewhere too

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

what the gently caress is this, shaggar

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
it got adopted into "American style" but it was originally because publishers / typesetters thought it looked "more balanced" / "more pleasing".

these days we're moving to "British style" and soon it'll be a relic like double-spacing and New Yorker diaereses.

Shaggar posted:

i think i i18n-pilled shaggar

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i was taught the punctuation inside quotes thing but i didn't do it because it's wrong

MononcQc posted:

i wonder if there's a similar thing on SA where some emotes end up not used in yospos as often as in grey forums for technical reasons :hirez:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i typed "hunter2." and it didn't work!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shaggar posted:

English, a language famously free of edge cases.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in terms of characters yes. in terms of grammar obviously its a mess but thats a level 8 problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

BrianRx posted:

I'm US-based and only know 2-ish languages but I also have a career in i18n. You learn the quirks of each language because you can't safely process text without some idea of them.

Internationalization is very much on topic for the security thread .

Ulf fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 31, 2021