Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

was designed to be just dumped on its side whenever you park it.

That's so Italian that I have to agree with them on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
First rule of Italian motorbike parking: what is behind me is not important

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I'm noticing that nearly all offroad gear, armour and pressure suits and knee braces and such only rate CE lvl1. Sometimes they'll be CElvl2 back, very rarely CE lvl2 front, and even on the most expensive poo poo all I see is lvl1 shoulders and elbows - if it's even rated at all. Is there any proper reason for this, or is it that manufacturers just prefer to offer a lower level whenever they can get away with it?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is plenty of gear that don't include armor pads to keep the price more alluring. Maybe that's the case here

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I'm noticing that nearly all offroad gear, armour and pressure suits and knee braces and such only rate CE lvl1. Sometimes they'll be CElvl2 back, very rarely CE lvl2 front, and even on the most expensive poo poo all I see is lvl1 shoulders and elbows - if it's even rated at all. Is there any proper reason for this, or is it that manufacturers just prefer to offer a lower level whenever they can get away with it?

Higher levels mean bulkier, les flexible, and heavier, all of which are bigger disadvantages off-road than on, and crashes off-road tend to be at a lower speed and onto softer surfaces, so the risk/benefit calculation changes. That's the whole point of having different gear for on- and off-road (and for that matter for different styles of on-road riding).

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Road riding needs abrasion resistance, dirt riding needs impact resistance. However its not that cut and dry. Road crashes have impacts and dirt crashes come with some sliding.
The EN1621 standard addresses both segments though its kind of a broad view of both fields of riding.

A CE-L1 piece of armor is designed to transmit 18-24kN to the rider. Ie: this is a lower spec intended for cheaper/lower speed gear.
A CE-L2 piece of armor is designed to transmit 9-12kN to the rider. This is where something like D3O comes in.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Yeah, I'm specifically talking about impact resistance. All sorts of road gear comes with lvl2 - if they cheap out, it's usually on the back and chest. But when looking at offroad gear, even pressure suits and bulky stuff like Leatt protector harnesses are either not certified, or lvl1 in shoulders and elbows. Same with knee protectors and knee braces - plenty of them are really bulky, but either uncertified or lvl1, even the flagship models. It feels very incongruous, to the point where I've seen people talk about wearing street-focused armored undershirts instead of offroad-marketed protection.

This Forcefield harness is basically the only one I've seen, and in pictures it doesn't look much more bulky than Dainese and Alpinestars. And considerably less bulky than things like Leatt armors.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 31, 2021

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
CE2 really isn't that bulky, especially modern designs using novel materials. If it was just plastic foam then it probably would have to be a good bit thicker.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Does someone own one of those battery powered, rechargeable mini-compressors to reinflate tires? Do they actually work well enough? Are they useful, or does it make more sense to just have one of those spray cans that fix and reinflate in one go in case of flat? I do already have a repair kit with tools, plugs, vulcanizing cement tube and so on, but it's about 10 years old now and I don't really trust it to work as well as when it was new anymore

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I would buy another plug kit before I used a can of slime or fix a flat, as someone who used to do to flat repairs (on automotive tires, fwiw)

There's a chance you can salvage a plug and put a permanent one in: the slime makes it drat near impossible to repair once you get to the shop.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Carteret posted:

I would buy another plug kit before I used a can of slime or fix a flat, as someone who used to do to flat repairs (on automotive tires, fwiw)

There's a chance you can salvage a plug and put a permanent one in: the slime makes it drat near impossible to repair once you get to the shop.

Hm, as I suspected, I've always heard that those sprays make a huge mess and they're last resort measures to make a few km to get to a proper shop where you can replace the tire.

I've been lucky in never having to fix a flat tire on a bike for 10 years (and only twice on my car but there I have an extra wheel in the trunk to replace the flat one with, so it's kinda easier :v: ), so I'm not even sure if it's worth it to carry around a repair kit + compressor considering I have road assistance and I'm not traveling to the untamed wilds but mostly very near civilization.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I carried a portable compressor on my dirt bike and needed it a few times. It also paid for itself when I helped a guy in a 4x4 with it and he tipped me!
If you can fit it somewhere with no drama there's no reason not to.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I got this little one to carry with me. I'd rather have one that can run off the bike's battery than remember to keep another battery charged. I mostly got it so I can drop my tire pressure when I go into trails on the DRZ.

Unrelated: I want to get new textile gear, and have been strongly leaning toward an Aerostich one piece because their full-length zipper would make it easy to get in and out of when I ride to work. Does anyone else make something with that same full zipper, one or two piece? The only other one I've found is the Klim Handanger

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shelvocke posted:

I carried a portable compressor on my dirt bike and needed it a few times. It also paid for itself when I helped a guy in a 4x4 with it and he tipped me!
If you can fit it somewhere with no drama there's no reason not to.

I'm on a scooter now, so no trouble with just dropping a few knickknacks in the gigantic underseat storage. Love it. Also riding a lot more in town will surely expose me to some flats, considering how terrible is road maintenance/cleaning around here; guess I'd better start looking at a new repair kit :v: (thanks for enabling my purchasing-knickknacks addiction!)

for the compressor, I don't have 12V slots - newer scooter has quickcharge USB-C, older one has "aftermarket" standard USB, so I'm inclined to get one of those usb-rechargeable 2000mAh ones that you can get on Amazon for cheap (30-40€), it seems like one charge should let you inflate 2 tires fully in a few minutes without issue

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

How do leather jackets deal with getting rained on? All the jackets and pants I've owned are textile. I've been looking for a non-mesh jacket for a while that I can wear in cooler temperatures without loving with a zip-out liner. I haven't found many textile options in my size that I've liked but I found an Olympia leather jacket that should fit me well.

I don't deliberately ride in the rain so I don't care about being totally waterproof but I also don't want to ruin an expensive jacket the first time I get caught in a shower.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
They get wet af. Dry it out, hit it with conditioner and it'll be fine.

Aerostich has a waterproof leather touring set.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
There are waterproof leather jackets. loving expensive waterproof leather jackets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ48G6tVZRQ
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-aramos-leather-jacket

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

How do leather jackets deal with getting rained on? All the jackets and pants I've owned are textile. I've been looking for a non-mesh jacket for a while that I can wear in cooler temperatures without loving with a zip-out liner. I haven't found many textile options in my size that I've liked but I found an Olympia leather jacket that should fit me well.

I don't deliberately ride in the rain so I don't care about being totally waterproof but I also don't want to ruin an expensive jacket the first time I get caught in a shower.

I was super concerned once about a dress overcoat I have that's made of wool/cashmere, and what would happen to it in the rain. The answer I got was that the goats they sheared to make the coat probably spent more time out in the rain than I ever will. The same is probably true of the cows/kangaroos/whatever used for leather jackets.

Like CSB said, just dry and condition it. Wouldn't hurt to massage in some mink oil every now and then too.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

Aerostich has a waterproof leather touring set.

edit: holy poo poo, the transit leathers are back. they stopped selling these for a long time

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 31, 2021

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you do get leather soaked through, just don't put it on a radiator whatever you do. If it dries too fast it'll crack and that's what'll gently caress it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Strife posted:

I was super concerned once about a dress overcoat I have that's made of wool/cashmere, and what would happen to it in the rain. The answer I got was that the goats they sheared to make the coat probably spent more time out in the rain than I ever will. The same is probably true of the cows/kangaroos/whatever used for leather jackets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGFLyA3u_rw

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Deeters posted:

Unrelated: I want to get new textile gear, and have been strongly leaning toward an Aerostich one piece because their full-length zipper would make it easy to get in and out of when I ride to work. Does anyone else make something with that same full zipper, one or two piece? The only other one I've found is the Klim Handanger
Rukka make a cold weather one piece.

I have a Hardanger. Not sure I’d recommend it.

I’ve had to patch the inside of the suit in a number of places with rubber because it’s been worn through by shoes, gloves, and even just the armour pads.

It doesn’t keep me that dry in heavy rain, the front zip leaks.

And the main zip has lost a tooth. (Common issue, the v2 Hardanger now has a three-zip design)

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Dillema: the main zip pull broke off my 7 year old Olympia touring jacket. Should I "fix" it or is it time to treat yo self?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

7 years is a long-rear end time, I say treat yourself unless you're tight on cash

e: also assuming you can find a replacement, when I've been shopping this year the covid inventories have been almost as bad for gear as for bikes

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

... when I've been shopping this year the covid inventories have been almost as bad for gear as for bikes

I'm past due to replace the helmet I wear 90% of the time, and the only places I can find anything in stock are European stores. The US distributors must be out of drat near everything.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've soaked my leather overpants a number of times and I find that what dries out leather overpants tolerably well is 120km/h winds, such as might be generated by riding on a motorcycle

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

Rukka make a cold weather one piece.

I have a Hardanger. Not sure I’d recommend it.

I’ve had to patch the inside of the suit in a number of places with rubber because it’s been worn through by shoes, gloves, and even just the armour pads.

It doesn’t keep me that dry in heavy rain, the front zip leaks.

And the main zip has lost a tooth. (Common issue, the v2 Hardanger now has a three-zip design)

Bummer. If I'm spending that much on gear, I definitely want it lasting a long time. I keep forgetting about Rukka, so I'll check out their stuff too.

I did find this excellent review on Klim's site:

Robert posted:

New rider here. Failed to take her out of gear while facing the front door of my home and tapped the accelerator. Crashed through door at the entrance, pulled my right side through a 6.5" glass china cabinet - then ripped another door completely out of the frame before I could get her stopped in the hallway. It took two grown men with shovels almost 30 minutes to clear away enough glass/wreckage to get to the bike. God is truly great and He saved me that day. Also, I had full gear on from head to toe - Klim Hardanger, full face helmet, boots and gloves. Bike took my right hand, elbow, knee and shoulder through a glass cabinet with glass shelves and two sets of doors. My left hand got mashed but was ok. When the bike hit the cabinet glass exploded everywhere. I walked away without a scratch. Anyway - many thanks Klim for making a fantastic product. Suit had no signs of anything other than paint transfer from the walls. Amazing, y'all. Much success and God bless. #God #Teflon/Gore-Tex

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
"her" :whitewater:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Arson Daily posted:

Dillema: the main zip pull broke off my 7 year old Olympia touring jacket. Should I "fix" it or is it time to treat yo self?

The zipper pull broke off on my Scorpion jacket after a year, and after I emailed them about it they sent me a new pull. It literally just clicked into the space where the other one was, and I know you can get new pulls at fabric/craft stores.

But you could also take this as an excuse to buy a new jacket.

People who call their motorcycles "her" are the same ones who crash into dining room furniture.

I see a lot of posts on Reddit in the Ducati forum like "GOT THE GIRLS OUT FOR A BATH TODAY" and I'm just like

I was looking for the gif of Kristen Bell cringing but I found that instead.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

When you finally realise you've been posting on ADVRider

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Anyone have a good recommendations for backpacks? Currently using a day trip back pack but I ripped the zipper and I'm wondering if I just buy another one for 60 bucks or shop for a better one.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mouzer posted:

Anyone have a good recommendations for backpacks? Currently using a day trip back pack but I ripped the zipper and I'm wondering if I just buy another one for 60 bucks or shop for a better one.

I have this Givi one which is excellent. No frills, but I end up using it all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Backpack-Roller-35-litres-ut802/dp/B06XHPCWGW

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Mouzer posted:

I’ve purchased so many backpacks over the last few years that it’s become kind of an in-joke between my wife and I.

As far as small day packs go, you simply cannot beat a GoRuck. They’re borderline indestructible, and if you can somehow manage to damage one, they’ll usually replace it under warranty. Unfortunately they do not have a sternum strap, so they aren’t the best on a bike.

For my typical work backpack or carry on, I use a Vertx Gamut. That one is important to me because it has an integrated holster, and it’s difficult to conceal a firearm in a suit. But even without that the pockets are laid out in a very usable way, and the back zippers are designed in a way that prevents other people from trying to sneak them open.

Mostly because I already have one, and it looks cool, for short blasts on the bike I’ll take my Ogio Mach 5. The carrying capacity isn’t the best, and you basically can’t set it down anywhere, but it’s very comfortable and adjustable, and the design makes it aerodynamic enough to not cause additional fatigue on the highway.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Mouzer posted:

I've had a Kriega R20 for a few years. I was using it for commuting, but it's only big enough for a 1L Nalgene bottle and my lunchbox. Plus it's only water resistant at best. Now I use it to carry my hydration pack and extra layers when I go for day rides.

I upgraded to an R30 that I bought off a goon used, but I haven't commuted on my bike since last year, so I can't say much on it other than it's just as easy to put on and off as the R20. The Kreigas are much easier to get on and off with gear on compared to non-moto backpacks that I've used.

I've heard good things about Velomacchi as well, but haven't personally tried one.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I use a 22" osprey hiking backpack. The straps are padded and well placed, but also could be hidden inside a compartment. Unbeatable comfort level and feels very balanced, even when loaded. It's also the perfect carry-on size so it's convenient for every type of travel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014EBM3KA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_F089S90RQNZG0PQN6V9F

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Kriegas are excellent specifically for motorcycling and they have outstanding build quality, but the harness setup they use flops all over the place when it's not buckled so they kinda suck for just walking around with one strap over your shoulder. If you need/want something with broader application, Osprey makes a ton of different high quality backpacks with lifetime guarantees. I have two older 55L hiking packs with frames, a 30L laptop bag, a couple of 20 and 25L day hike bags, and they've all held up to whatever I've thrown at them.

Strife posted:

For my typical work backpack or carry on, I use a Vertx Gamut. That one is important to me because it has an integrated holster, and it’s difficult to conceal a firearm in a suit.

You an air marshall or something? TSA, come get this man /s

In my very limited exposure to Vertx gear it's made well and will last, but at some point they started marketing hard and heavy to the high speed low drag tacticlol gun chud crowd to milk some extra margin:

quote:

In a World of Limitations, the Gamut Gives You Options

Tug the Hot-Pull Tab to access the PDW rifle discreetly carried in an adjustable print-proof scabbard that doubles as a laptop and sensitive gear sleeve.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 2, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Mouzer posted:

kriega trail 18 is my current fave. has a roll top dry bag that is 100% wp as well as a water resistant zippered portion. it’s an excellent backpack and I highly recommend it

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jazzzzz posted:

You an air marshall or something? TSA, come get this man /s

In my very limited exposure to Vertx gear it's made well and will last, but at some point they started marketing hard and heavy to the high speed low drag tacticlol gun chud crowd to milk some extra margin:

Carrying and carry-on-ing are unrelated, I try to keep pistols off airplanes.

And yes, they absolutely market to people that buy a lot of red baseball hats, but I think the bag is worth it. I really only mention it in a conversation about moto bags because it has a sternum strap, a place for a hydration bladder, and the straps buckle off so you can get the bag on over an armored jacket. It's a good all-around backpack.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have some vertx pants from ages ago that have great features like dividers in the thigh pockets that are just the right size for a spare 5.56 mag. Very hard-wearing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
i can perhaps appreciate the desire to carry a pistol while riding but i am really trying to stretch the imagination on why having a pocket that fits a 5.56 mag would be a notable feature