Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Johnny Truant posted:

Aw dip. I'm not gonna be getting the saw till early October, late September at the earliest, but I'll keep an eye on this sucker

The Rigid stand is awesome. Just sayin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Ah, I see they use the ANSI standard CPC 'cookies per charge' unit of battery capacity.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

For all the useless crap that gets "Alpha / Toxic Male" branding I sure as gently caress wish DeWalt or (your preferred battery type supplier) would make some cordless kitchen tools that would run off the same batteries as the poo poo in the shop.

A cordless immersion blender, hand mixer, drive motor for a pasta roller etc would be great.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Neat, never saw that when I searched before. Wonder what the battery voltage is?

That Works posted:

For all the useless crap that gets "Alpha / Toxic Male" branding I sure as gently caress wish DeWalt or (your preferred battery type supplier) would make some cordless kitchen tools that would run off the same batteries as the poo poo in the shop.

A cordless immersion blender, hand mixer, drive motor for a pasta roller etc would be great.

This was what I was thinking though.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

That Works posted:

Back when AvE on Youtube actually did tool teardowns, that was a common rant he went on. The battery powered tools by big Red/Yellow/Blue are generally very well made, powerful and you get what you pay for. Kitchen/home gadgets are at the other end of the spectrum, typically bordering on absolute trash.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh agree 100%, I've abused ryobi drills for 8+years, in that time we've gone through 3 corded hand mixers that got far less rough treatment and never once got used as a hammer.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'd be on board for a FlexVolt kitchen mixer!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

B-Nasty posted:

Back when AvE on Youtube actually did tool teardowns, that was a common rant he went on. The battery powered tools by big Red/Yellow/Blue are generally very well made, powerful and you get what you pay for. Kitchen/home gadgets are at the other end of the spectrum, typically bordering on absolute trash.

Yeah totally agree on that one.

Hell now I am going to cock up a way to fit a lovely wire whisk to my cordless trim router.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Revisiting the earlier discussion of LEDs run off of tool batteries. After 3 days without power in the last storm I definitely think these are worth it.

I also snagged this for <$20.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KGF91Q2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lower powered LED light but also comes with a USB, DC and USB-C output.

The light is handy as a small flashlight but the real strengths are being able to shunt your batteries into USB stuff very easily. Definitely something I think that will be handy in another multi-day power outage situation.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

sharkytm posted:

The Rigid stand is awesome. Just sayin'

:mad:

Arghhhh!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sorry. Just spitting truth.

That Works posted:

Yeah totally agree on that one.

Hell now I am going to cock up a way to fit a lovely wire whisk to my cordless trim router.

This is a bad idea. Drill, sure. Router? Wear a face shield and body armor.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Sorry. Just spitting truth.

This is a bad idea. Drill, sure. Router? Wear a face shield and body armor.

Gotta get those whites silky my dude

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Household devices that took drill batteries would be awesome. Your dyson or whatever is flogging the hell out of batteries so they die (as in stop working) all the time. If you could get a decent stick vac in your preferred ecosystem then swapping them would be easy and there would be less waste.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

~Coxy posted:

Household devices that took drill batteries would be awesome. Your dyson or whatever is flogging the hell out of batteries so they die (as in stop working) all the time. If you could get a decent stick vac in your preferred ecosystem then swapping them would be easy and there would be less waste.

This would be amazing. I just ordered my third battery for my 4 year old Dyson the other day. It's very frustrating.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

~Coxy posted:

:smug:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I have the Ryobi Dustbuster and it whips rear end.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Tools are weird because the price gap between disposable trash and The Good Stuff/Prosumer lines for most tools is not that much money (2-3x for tools rather than 5x-10x for kitchen appliances)

You can get a chintzy cordless drill from Ikea for $40 or a great one from a hardware store for $100-200.

You can get a disposable blender for $40, but the good ones with long warranties(Blendtec, Vitamix) are $300+

It also bugs me that branding is inconsistent in quality in kitchen stuff. You can't just buy any KitchenAid stand mixer, because 80% of the models have nylon gears instead of the bulletproof steel ones like my grandma made bread with every day for 50 years.
Many of the tool makers have the decency to split out their cheaper tier line into a different brand.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

brb welding a hex shank to a balloon whisk

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Tools are weird because the price gap between disposable trash and The Good Stuff/Prosumer lines for most tools is not that much money (2-3x for tools rather than 5x-10x for kitchen appliances)

You can get a chintzy cordless drill from Ikea for $40 or a great one from a hardware store for $100-200.

You can get a disposable blender for $40, but the good ones with long warranties(Blendtec, Vitamix) are $300+

It also bugs me that branding is inconsistent in quality in kitchen stuff. You can't just buy any KitchenAid stand mixer, because 80% of the models have nylon gears instead of the bulletproof steel ones like my grandma made bread with every day for 50 years.
Many of the tool makers have the decency to split out their cheaper tier line into a different brand.

Make room next to your drill press for a Hobart mixer and for a blender convert a 2 stroke chainsaw engine into a blender. EZ.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That's how my wife sold me on the Vitamix and the kitchen aid. They are built like tools that are meant to last multiple generations.

Sold.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Brute Squad posted:

:getin:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

The whisk attachment for our hand blender has a round shack and chucks up nicely in my hand drill.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

That Works posted:

I'd buy the poo poo out of a DeWalt cordless upright household vacuum.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I wanted that Milwaukee vacuum to be good so badly.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Hi tool thread.

What I have:
-several dead trees and the room and experience needed to fell them.
-a bunch of trees that need a good pruning.
-an ever expanding brush pile.
-various saws, axes, and splitters.

What I need
-wood chips/mulch.
-firewood from the hardwoods.

I've got the firewood part covered, but are any of the chippers thay home depot will sell me or my local rental place will rent me worth a drat? My brush pile is getting out of control and I don't have that many bonfires (and don't just want to burn my brush pile wholesale), so turning it into something useful like chips sounds great, but I'm also very suspicious of any chipper that isn't the same cost/size as a small car.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

stealie72 posted:

Hi tool thread.

What I have:
-several dead trees and the room and experience needed to fell them.
-a bunch of trees that need a good pruning.
-an ever expanding brush pile.
-various saws, axes, and splitters.

What I need
-wood chips/mulch.
-firewood from the hardwoods.

I've got the firewood part covered, but are any of the chippers thay home depot will sell me or my local rental place will rent me worth a drat? My brush pile is getting out of control and I don't have that many bonfires (and don't just want to burn my brush pile wholesale), so turning it into something useful like chips sounds great, but I'm also very suspicious of any chipper that isn't the same cost/size as a small car.

My dads an arborist and I grew up helping him on jobs sites so my experience is with the big commercial ones the size of a small car.

I don’t know what you can rent locally but I’ll say don’t waste your time with those little home ones or even smaller commercial ones. The problem you’ll run into with those is they don’t have the power to do bigger limbs. And the smaller stuff you’ll only be able to feed a little bit at a time without bogging it down. If you have an out of control wood pile it’ll be an exercise in frustration and very time consuming with an underpowered chipper and you’ll probably decide the chips aren’t worth your time.

My advice would be to get everything you plan on cutting on the ground. Then see if someone can rent or bring out a big towable one to your property and do it all in one go.

That being said I’m not familiar with ones that can run in the PTO of a tractor if you have one, those might be decent.

Basically don’t waste your time with a smaller underpowered one.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Rufio posted:

I wanted that Milwaukee vacuum to be good so badly.

Same. I'm hoping V2 actually works.

A Dyson-like stick vacuum that I can use my collection of M18 batteries with, yes please.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

dangling pointer posted:

Basically don’t waste your time with a smaller underpowered one.
I figured that was going to be the answer.

Luckily I live near a gaggle of tree companies so I may hire one to take down a couple of the standing trees just because they can deal with disposal. Handn't thought of "and can you also chip up this pile of crap for me" as an option so thank you for that!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

Same. I'm hoping V2 actually works.

A Dyson-like stick vacuum that I can use my collection of M18 batteries with, yes please.

when my shark dies hopefully ryobi has fixed their stick vac. Apparently you can make it work but I don't feel like dicking around with it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The LG CordZero stickvac has performance as good or better than the Dyson and comes with two hot swappable battery packs. That's as close as we can get right now.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

stealie72 posted:

Luckily I live near a gaggle of tree companies so I may hire one to take down a couple of the standing trees just because they can deal with disposal. Handn't thought of "and can you also chip up this pile of crap for me" as an option so thank you for that!

I can only speak for the area I’m in but since the lockdown everyone was sitting at home looking at trees on their property and decided they needed trimmed or whatever. Most of the crews I know around here have been booked out months in advance for awhile now. Call ahead, and definitely get multiple quotes. If it’s just for cleanup and drop some trees that aren’t around any structures just go with whoever’s cheapest. Within reason, I mean don’t put an ad on Facebook market place and have some dude with an extension ladder and chainsaw try to get your trees on the ground lol.

Or do and record it….

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

tater_salad posted:

when my shark dies hopefully ryobi has fixed their stick vac. Apparently you can make it work but I don't feel like dicking around with it.

Hmmm, fixed? I've got the P724B and it's... fine, but yeah I wish it would suck a bit more.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Yeah my local tree company guy in my neighborhood shows up with a chainsaw crew then with a truck + chipper on a trailer to process everything at the end if they aren't gonna take it for firewood.

That said we got a used Troybuilt chipper/shredder on craigslist for like $100 that's rated up to 3" branches and it did a good job on all the small stuff. We also throw all the fall leaves through it to make mulch / use for faster composting etc. Might be worth considering especially if you do a lot of gardening on your property and have a lot of woods / trees around it.

The back of my property is a wetlands protected area forest so we can just get all the small branches that fall during storms etc and mulch em as needed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Hmmm, fixed? I've got the P724B and it's... fine, but yeah I wish it would suck a bit more.

reiviews say the filter needs more than normal regular cleaning.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

FCKGW posted:

The LG CordZero stickvac has performance as good or better than the Dyson and comes with two hot swappable battery packs. That's as close as we can get right now.

Do you own the LG? Looks nice but owning an LG fridge has made me extremely wary of their appliances.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dangling pointer posted:

Do you own the LG? Looks nice but owning an LG fridge has made me extremely wary of their appliances.

No, I bought the Dyson and kinda regret it. It's a good vac but I had to pay extra for the fluffy head and the batteries are sealed. Could have gotten all that with with LG at a cheaper price.

LG is weird. No one seems to like their refrigerators but their front load washers are regarded as the best. Very bipolar company.

FWIW I've owned a Samsung, LG and Whirlpool fridge in the past 12 years and all of them have failed in their own unique ways. Fridges are just absolute garbage these days.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The Shark battery powered model is supposedly really good. My girlfriend and I will probably pick one up at some point.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Has anyone done a carb replacement and went with the cheap Chinese Amazon carbs? My dad gave me the first climbing saw he bought and I’d like to get it running properly again. I’m guessing I should just pony up for the OEM carb from echo?

FCKGW posted:

FWIW I've owned a Samsung, LG and Whirlpool fridge in the past 12 years and all of them have failed in their own unique ways. Fridges are just absolute garbage these days.

My buddy got a Samsung fridge around the same time I got an LG. We are currently have a bet on whose fridge will need the most repairs under warranty. His last repair was post covid supply chain issues and the tech they sent out told him there’s a month long lead time to repair his ice maker because they can’t get the part lol.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 1, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dangling pointer posted:

Has anyone done a carb replacement and went with the cheap Chinese Amazon carbs? My dad gave me the first climbing saw he bought and I’d like to get it running properly again. I’m guessing I should just pony up for the OEM carb from echo?

I've put rando amazon carbs on a bunch of things. They're so legit I've yet to even have to ADJUST them to get anything started. I've put them on a couple of chainsaws, a string trimmer and a tiller.

My guess is they're coming off of the exact same line as the OEM ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Oh wow that’s awesome. I’ll go with an Amazon special then. Thanks.