Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Istvun posted:

yeah I've seen a bit of that when dealing with spent fuel shipments which gets silly when the biggest danger with those shipments is a 100 ton piece of lead and steel rolling onto someone rather than anything related to the radiation risks.

the number that came out of some of the PRAs used for that is 10^-13 person-Sv

the only thing I ever really disliked having to inspect in transit was the cobalt 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Steve Yun posted:

it’s got a decent melody but it’s no Gas Gas Gas

The lowest value on the chart sounds like *crack* the highest value sounds like *ping*

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
is america making a medical isotope reactor yet? I was in school in 09 when 2 of the reactors were down and it was a dire shortage. Using thallium for stress tests lol. Now it's pharmaceutical shortages, the entire year has been a perpetual shortage of choletec because only 2 factories in the world make it? And for years there was a kinevac shortage, might still be happening. Seems unwise to leave critical unprofitable pharmaceutical production exclusively to for profit companies.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Thoguh posted:

My vaxxed aunt died last week and my vaxxed Grandfather in law died today so, uh, thanks NDG. Glad for the minimization.

Sorry to hear about your losses, and all that comes with a pandemic funeral :(

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Canada

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Asproigerosis posted:

is america making a medical isotope reactor yet? I was in school in 09 when 2 of the reactors were down and it was a dire shortage. Using thallium for stress tests lol. Now it's pharmaceutical shortages, the entire year has been a perpetual shortage of choletec because only 2 factories in the world make it? And for years there was a kinevac shortage, might still be happening. Seems unwise to leave critical unprofitable pharmaceutical production exclusively to for profit companies.

for some reason I vaguely remember that a bunch of medical isotope stuff was being done in puerto rico and than got totally hosed by harvey, but I'm vaguely adjacent at best so I'm not sure

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

https://twitter.com/hash_tigre/status/1397367718072832000

hey its my fav, mr peter daszak. i love to see it

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
I'm losing my loving mind here. All the loving Gleichschaltung media here are crowing "Cases DOWN! Time to OPEN ER UP WIDER!".

Meanwhile testing is doing this (compare the post-weekend through to other days to see what I mean - literally cut in 1/2 and still cases are not halved but at 2/3rds):

This means we are losing the indicator for when it's safe to expand my activities beyond the bare minimum.
Things like taking walks outside, or treating myself with some take-out instead of beans.

And of course it's gonna drive up cases massively.
In fact the cinemas and restaurants I walked past yesterday were loving RAMMED with extra people queuing outside.

I feel like loving crying.
This is so maddening.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Schnorkles posted:

honestly the nuc med stuff is a really interesting boondoggle in my world because its more about dealing with competing regulatory schemas and shipping precise product in relatively tight constraints.

normally we're trying to figure out if the compound we've made is going to detonate your liver

my former hospital had a site with a cobalt source that was fuckin wild and also a couple spills on the floor outlined in chalk from decades ago that if you walked on them you forfeited your shoes for a while

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

do you ever have moments where you think about these people that died and how some of them were probably pretty nice and cool people and it’s actually incredibly sad that so many people are dying and they will never be a part of society ever again

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Istvun posted:

for some reason I vaguely remember that a bunch of medical isotope stuff was being done in puerto rico and than got totally hosed by harvey, but I'm vaguely adjacent at best so I'm not sure

A bunch of pharma stuff, like saline especially, but I'm not aware of isotope anything. Everything comes from south africa and the netherlands for america now. We've never had a commercial medical isotope reactor, it loving owns we are entirely dependent on plane deliveries from other countries.

Thankfully, nuclear medicine is dead and MRI took over everything as CMS continues to slowly suffocate PET in the cradle with terrible reimbursement approval. At least PET is all made with cyclotrons.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

then you remember nothing really matters lol :shrug:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Ruggan posted:

do you ever have moments where you think about these people that died and how some of them were probably pretty nice and cool people and it’s actually incredibly sad that so many people are dying and they will never be a part of society ever again

sounds pretty christain dude,

humans are just material to be used by the the state, you do not weep for the wood used to build a house, do you?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

https://twitter.com/hash_tigre/status/1397367718072832000

hey its my fav, mr peter daszak. i love to see it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wcinzmfZeCc

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ruggan posted:

ya that's the crack part of the crack ping

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Ruggan posted:

i blot that out by lmaoing about the horse paste because if i stop and think about the completely needless loss of life over the past year, i'll probably implode like a dying star, op

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Ruggan posted:

nope

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Oh goddamnit, now this poo poo is being posted by way to many Canadians.

Welp, I replied to them. Lmao in advance of what my mentions look like tomorrow morning.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Ruggan posted:

what??¿?no

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Asproigerosis posted:

you know, you've been calling it "nuclear medicine" this whole time but it took the phrase "medical isotope reactor" to actually make me realize what it means

what we've actually done with this technology is so much more insane than the "oh, you'll have an atomic car" bullshit from popular science magazines. it's crazy

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Asproigerosis posted:

A bunch of pharma stuff, like saline especially, but I'm not aware of isotope anything. Everything comes from south africa and the netherlands for america now. We've never had a commercial medical isotope reactor, it loving owns we are entirely dependent on plane deliveries from other countries.

Thankfully, nuclear medicine is dead and MRI took over everything as CMS continues to slowly suffocate PET in the cradle with terrible reimbursement approval. At least PET is all made with cyclotrons.

A lot of the South Africa connection got done blown up by the FDA in 2019 right before COVID hit. Everyone had to scramble to poland for foreign stuff.

Lots coming out of UMissouri right now, actually.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pretty crazy but also totally predictable that Covid was Epstein’s contingency.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ruggan posted:

yes because not everyone wanted to catch it but did

it's too much death, it's a walking wake for all

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Pretty crazy but also totally predictable that Covid was Epstein’s contingency.

It's funny and stupid enough to be possible.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Istvun posted:

The entire process is actually relatively profitable, so you can pull from academic reactors (i.e. UMissouri) in the US and still do fine. South Africa and Poland are the sources of choice I'm aware of, but I'm sure PR may have been up there as well.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

u wanna know the single most annoying thing you have to deal with in radioactive decay equations with foreign sourced poo poo?

daylight savings time i swear to god

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Thoguh posted:

It's funny and stupid enough to be possible.

Isnt the first case like 3 days after his death?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Melbourne is officially abandoning covid zero and adopting the "vaccines cure everything" approach, easing restrictions as we get to 70% one dose in approximately a month.

Rip to me as an immunocompromised essential worker with asthma and high blood pressure.

Victoria records 120 COVID cases and two deaths as details of lockdown extension announced
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-01/victoria-covid-cases-lockdown-melbourne-restrictions/100423686

Sydney already abandoned covid zero and is continuing to get about 1,100 cases per day.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Schnorkles posted:

u wanna know the single most annoying thing you have to deal with in radioactive decay equations with foreign sourced poo poo?

daylight savings time i swear to god

This probably made me laugh way more than it should because of the real punch line of becquerels.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

https://twitter.com/ItsPhetz/status/1432815804328804357?s=20

Your husband is going to a farm upstate where he can play with all the other husbands but he can't come back ever.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Asproigerosis posted:

This probably made me laugh way more than it should because of the real punch line of becquerels.

what do you mean its in mBq

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Asproigerosis posted:

This dude dumb as gently caress why would you POSSIBLY expect kids, who's entire worldview is that of being invincible, to understand the ramifications of an airborne pandemic and have empathy for your wife they don't give a poo poo about? I'm sure zoomies just see it like the flu and free days out of school and otherwise hate it because generally masks add an entirely new level of social ineraction stress for a very fragile group.

my dude kids don't get the coronavirus. what are you on about?

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

I'm looking for some N95(disposable) that will go over my chin.

Most of the ones I see that fit over my knows are so tight over my chin that talking will slide them up.

Masks too. I have a bunch of those black surgical masks you see everywhere and they constantly slide up above my chin.

I have a long face i guess

try KF94 if you haven't already

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Schnorkles posted:

what do you mean its in mBq

This is america we use curies like god intended. Don't make me probe you!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Melbourne is officially abandoning covid zero and adopting the "vaccines cure everything" approach, easing restrictions as we get to 70% one dose in approximately a month.

Rip to me as an immunocompromised essential worker with asthma and high blood pressure.

Victoria records 120 COVID cases and two deaths as details of lockdown extension announced
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-01/victoria-covid-cases-lockdown-melbourne-restrictions/100423686

Sydney already abandoned covid zero and is continuing to get about 1,100 cases per day.

how is perth faring, are they still zero transmission and cases?

lol the one place left in western democracies that is virus free if so

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have the paste.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
perth should put out PSAs and travel advertisements that are nothing but people getting eaten by sharks, stung by jellyfish, punched by kangaroos, melted by hole in the ozone... just try desperately to tell people

Do Not Come

Do Not Come

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Blue Maga has controlled the narrative because any adults who die were just chuds and kids or vaxed people who die or get long covid are simply unfortunate statistical outliers that you can't change your behavior for. Zero covid was not possible. China, Taiwan, Australia and New Zealand don't exist.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

i think we'd hear rumors and such about any major side effects that haven't been seen in adults. they've already gone through phase 1 and 2 trials with kids and the current phase 3 trials are pretty big and have been going on for some months. it's not like folks in them are sworn to some kind of secrecy. if there is a problem it's probably something like folks have mentioned with a higher than expected incidence of myocarditas for example (no idea if this is a real thing for the kids vaccines, just an example)

A goon said last week there's a rumor floating around that the mRNA vaccines somehow damage/impede the developing immune systems of very young children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

asuugugughhAAAAAAAAAAAREEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA