Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think people unironically defending the match probably just saw the gifs on Twitter where Nia is just dumping Charlotte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

ok but nia jax doesn't have the record any of those guys have of not actually injuring people

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i know when i think of Vader i think of "not injuring people"

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

when i think of Vader i think of Boy Meets World

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think of his white castle

OF FEAAAAR

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
when i think of Scott Steiner I think of suplexing The Giant

when I think of Rick Steiner I think of suplexing Vader and that time he literally broke Buff Bagwell's neck

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

People have been ragging on Goldberg being unsafe for like 20+ years lol is he a woman too

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
When I saw the shots being exchanged I did go "eh, who know what's going on there; people love to be overly protective of women's wrestlers and intensely critical of Nia and Charlotte in particular"

Then I saw Charlotte lightly jogging the ropes, stuttering to a halt before forcing herself onto Nia's shoulders (?) and I went "lmao"

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Shitter Dumperton

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'll always remember the time Nia injured Bayley because she was supposed to do a bodyslam and instead just kinda dropped her wherever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/segundacaida/status/1432771068918263808

Not directed at Jim but rather the people who are suddenly always leaning intently forward during a match and going "THAT'S SAFE SO I POP!" with the latest round of Nia/Charlotte.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
The point of wrestlers working stiff is that it looks cool and adds some degree of realism.

There's a "wow" factor in two people awkwardly running into each other a bunch of times and clearly not working together cohesively but in a much different way.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

at the core of it all there's a central difference between, say, a Vader match or Kobashi/Misawa and the Charlotte/Nia match. Vader hitting a powerbomb on Local Talent looks like someone hitting a wrestling move perfectly and painfully. Kobashi and Misawa hitting sick moves on each other looks like two guys cooperating to successfully make something that looks absolutely brutal. Nia and Charlotte doing... whatever they were doing, look like people loving up and dropping each other.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Big :lmao: at that person comparing Nia Jax to Misawa and Kobashi. That's like putting out a janky looking short film that gets torn to pieces by critics and crying "You would've LOVED this if it was The Godfather!"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

charlotte and nia shooting on each other is really funny and kicks rear end

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

STONE COLD 64 posted:

charlotte and nia shooting on each other is really funny and kicks rear end

The two most unsafe workers in the company trying to do a worked shoot. What a Vince Russo idea.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, people do watch old Steiner and Road Warrior squashes and criticise Hawk, Animal, Scott and Rick for being assholes who didn't give a poo poo about the job guys safety.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Gaz-L posted:

Also, people do watch old Steiner and Road Warrior squashes and criticise Hawk, Animal, Scott and Rick for being assholes who didn't give a poo poo about the job guys safety.

Not sure about the Road Warriors, but people have gone back over older Steiner matches and been taken aback by how little they take care of their opponents.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Nia Jax is one of the worst loving wrestlers in the goddamn world. She's plodding in the ring, her moves have an air of "I don't really know what I'm doing" to them, and she's unsafe as all hell. And she knows it and she doesn't give a gently caress, because of who she's related to.

Charlotte's terrible, too, but she at least used to have halfway decent matches in NXT, before realizing that she could just coast on her dad's name and stopped giving a poo poo. Nia Jax never gave a poo poo to begin with.

To say what Nia and Charlotte did in the ring on Monday was just "working stiff" is frankly an insult to every other wrestler out there. I mean, I've been watching some old WCCW matches lately, and those dudes worked stiff without managing to nearly kill each other. What Nia and Charlotte did sure was something, but it wasn't "working stiff".

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
Charlotte has a few spots she does well and most fans just focus on that, while brushing off the sloppier/botchy stuff as the fault of the other worker.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

why cant these dorks enjoy dumb violence when it happens. That match was a hoot.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
A worked hoot.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Zombie Lemur posted:

A worked hoot.

a shoot hoot, hoot.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
the ol shooter hooter

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
working yourselves into a hoot marks

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

working yourselves into a hoot marks

and that's a hoot, brother

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Give a hoot, work a shoot.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
A big part of why I like wrestling is because it's violence but people get actually harmed as little as possible while still keeping it exciting

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

El Generico posted:

A big part of why I like wrestling is because it's violence but people get actually harmed as little as possible while still keeping it exciting

Yeah, same, I think violence rules. But the consequences of it suck.

So please only pretend to fight for my entertainment. But if it looks hard and real that's better.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

I think a lot of it comes down to consent too. The art produced in the ring is a shared expression (unless you're fighting Yoshihiko), so when one or more of the participants is actively balking, you lose a lot of what makes wrestling great.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

the ol shooter hooter

I haven't been there. I been to the Hooter Shooter bar

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
There's a big difference between "Shoot-style" where people are slapping each other in the face and chest really hard like Kobashi and Walter and whatever happened between Flair and Nia Jax but yeah in hindsight maybe some of these people shouldn't have been kicked in the head and dropped on their necks so much for our entertainment.

Then you've got stuff like that Stardom shoot fight from a while back where a larger wrestler (Like Nia Jax) actually did just shoot and stomp the hell out of a smaller competitor and it got stopped because one of the seconds in the match literally shoot called the match because the referee and owner of the company wouldn't.

People are over-reacting like hell to what was just two people having a communication breakdown and not wanting to work together for a couple minutes. Knowing WWE though they'll try and use the heat to book a worked shoot match that's totally worked and just as awkward/awful but on purpose this time

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah, same, I think violence rules. But the consequences of it suck.

So please only pretend to fight for my entertainment. But if it looks hard and real that's better.

That reminds me of an amazing take I've seen mentioned by Segunda Caida's account where he was talking about somebody seeing saying "The literal point of wrestling is to protect each other in the ring.”

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Tampa Bae posted:

Then you've got stuff like that Stardom shoot fight from a while back where a larger wrestler (Like Nia Jax) actually did just shoot and stomp the hell out of a smaller competitor and it got stopped because one of the seconds in the match literally shoot called the match because the referee and owner of the company wouldn't.

Do tell, I'm not familiar with this

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Dangerous Person posted:

Do tell, I'm not familiar with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qstbjwENFy0

The smaller girl already was already blind-ish in one eye to start with and some other health issues that made her pretty fragile and this match ended her career if I recall. This was a match that shouldn't have happened to begin with because the two legitimately hated each other so it turned into an MMA fight that a referee refused to end. There's spots where they were trying to "wrestle" but it just turned into them hitting each other for real

Going off memory here, someone from the Joshi thread probably knows better details

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 1, 2021

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The referee didn't just not stop the match, he actually got them to back off and checked on Act when her face was already completely busted up and then let the fight continue. I think Stardom stopped using him right after that. It was Kyoko Kimura who ended up stopping the match.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was vaguely horrified if not really surprised to learn apparently Yoshiko came back to work at Stardom.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Dawgstar posted:

I was vaguely horrified if not really surprised to learn apparently Yoshiko came back to work at Stardom.
I've got no allegiance to either wrestler and it's been a long time since that incident and they might've both moved on but I was turned off to Stardom for a long time because of that and from what I've read the company didn't and hasn't gotten much better they've just had less bad publicity.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Act started a Theatrical Performance Company called Actwres Girl'z where she and other actresses perform staged combat-themed plays within the confines of a square stage with 3 ropes that wrap around each side, but it is NOT a wrestling promotion and they are NOT wrestlers, despite whatever superficial similarities they might have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Dawgstar posted:

As far as I recall it was a one-off appearance for their anniversary show, although she has been out injured for several months so maybe there was some other plans for her working with them. Yoshiko had rehabbed her image in terms of prefessionalism as well as she could in the years in between so not surprised Rossy would make the call if he thought it could bring SEAd fans to the show