Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Argue posted:

Time to wait another hundred years for a new chapter of Agenda of the Villainess

TWI's density has absolutely spoiled me

Hey it updated twice in a month, has to be a new record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
BtDEM Patreon chapter:

:stare:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Onean posted:

BtDEM Patreon chapter:

:stare:

And suddenly Elaine really, really regretted making that oath.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Bremen posted:

And suddenly Elaine really, really regretted making that oath.

Terrible puns then epic cliffs. Getting mentioned twice in a week on SA for two totally different is quite the compliment!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
TUTBAD Ch 10:

quote:

Hannah was looking forward to it. Hopefully, they were going to produce something neat. And if things went well, perhaps one or both of them would consent to symmetricalization.
Based on context and info in this chapter, does that just mean...boning?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cicero posted:

TUTBAD Ch 10:

Based on context and info in this chapter, does that just mean...boning?

I think it isn't, since she thought it was a bad idea if people were boning already, and using the word consent there is such a bizarre way of putting it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I really like everything about this used To be about dungeons

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Latest TWI: Rags is going to be surprised to find everyone who can let her into the garden is gone and she's left with a very confused/angry healer to deal with.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Latest TWI Patreon: What do you do when an honourable, just man, with a questionable sense of ethics, goes to war?

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Narmi posted:

Latest TWI: Rags is going to be surprised to find everyone who can let her into the garden is gone and she's left with a very confused/angry healer to deal with.

Isn't rags already let in? I think the issue is getting the healer inside, no?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Rags can get in, but she can't summon the door. Only Erin's family can, and they're all gone.

I'm not sure if Erin has to whitelist or blacklist people to determine entry, if it's the former it will be a problem.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Eldavin was blacklisted by default, sooo

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
If someone is blacklisted, it is because the list maker has consciously added there name to the list of who is allowed access. "Blacklisted by default" just sounds like they aren't whitelisted.

And it does sound more like he wasn't whitelisted, and Erin had to add him to her "list" for entry.

7.26 posted:

“Ryoka! Come on! It’s safe here! Just you—”

Ryoka hesitantly put her hand on the doorway. And for a second there was resistance—

Then it was gone. The City Runner stepped into that magical little world. Mrsha ran up to her, holding tiny little blooming flowers. The City Runner began to smile. She inhaled the scents of nature.

“Ah. The [Garden of Sanctuary]. How long has it been since I’ve seen it?”

The Dragon breathed. His eyes misted over as he put a hand on the doorway. He frowned as he walked forwards and smacked into the opening. Eldavin glowered.

“I come in peace. I bear no hostility towards the owner—let me in.”

Erin Solstice, laughing as Ryoka stared about and Mrsha tried to tug her up to the hill full of statues—stumbled. Something was pushing against her head! She looked about.

“What the—”

The Grand Magus was frowning thunderously as he pushed at the door. Erin saw the opening shuddering. She felt the inn—resisting. She was too.

“Wait! Stopstopstop!”

The young woman ran at the opening. Just in time—she felt the inn shake for a second. But then the Grand Magus was pulling his hand back. He hadn’t managed to get in. But he’d been trying.

“Why am I blocked from entering?”

“It’s just for friends! I’ll let you in! There! Come in! Don’t break my door! Jeez!”

Erin put her hands on her hips and glared at the half-Elf. He stared at her, haughty as Pryde. Haughtier, if that was possible. Then he ducked his head, almost abashed.

“I—appreciate the honor, Miss…Solstice?”

e: More whitelisting,

7.07 posted:

Palt nodded to himself. He stared at Erin. The [Innkeeper] looked around.

“What, me?”

“It’s your door. I think no one gets in except the ones you allow.”

“Not even me, Erin.”

Selys, put out, was trying the door, but it wouldn’t budge. She looked at Erin. No one could open the door. Not Drassi, Ishkr, Krshia—the door swung open as Lyonette stared at them.

“What’s the matter?”

“No one can use Erin’s door but you two.”

Moore gave Erin a hurt look. The [Innkeeper] turned red.

“But I didn’t know it even existed! I didn’t block anyone—”

“Then it must be set to the people you really trust.”

[...]

“He’s fine! Probably! Can you let us in, Erin?”

“Um—”

“Just wish it. I bet you can change who’s allowed in versus who can open the door too.”

“Just—”

“Don’t take too long. Let me in. You know who’s allowed in already, and who can open the door.”

“Oh.”

Erin closed her eyes. When she opened them, Saliss reached for the door. It was still ajar, but the Drake still put his hand on the doorknob. He pulled, and nothing happened. He sighed, giving Erin a betrayed look. Then he sauntered on through the doorway.

“Well, at least you trust me enough to let me in.”

[...]

He ran off. The others in the inn immediately tried to copy Saliss. Zevara, grunting, found she couldn’t move the door an inch. She gave Erin a cool, unsurprised look, and marched through.

It was going to be a test of friendship. Erin hadn’t concentrated on individual faces. Like Saliss had said, she knew. Palt, Montressa, and Beza all couldn’t move the door. Only Palt was disappointed, but they could all go through.

Actually—Montressa and Beza slammed into the wall, but Erin let them in after they looked truly hurt. And most of the others could enter.

Selys, Krshia, Elirr, the Halfseekers but for Ulinde—all of them could enter and use the door. The Selphid was allowed in, but not with access to the door. Neither was Grimalkin or Chaldion.

The true surprise was Klbkch, Olesm, and Relc. Olesm and Klbkch couldn’t open the door. They looked at Erin. And Klbkch’s face was blank. But Olesm’s was—Erin looked at him.

“I’m sorry.”

Was it Bird? And for Olesm, was it—Lism? His distrust of the Antinium? Erin had no answer. Silently, the Drake [Strategist] walked through the door, head bowed. Erin looked at the door of the [Garden of Sanctuary]. It was telling her more about herself than even she knew.

Relc was last, of all people. He’d hung back. And now, he put one claw on the door’s edge. He hesitated. And pulled.

The door swung open easily. Relc turned to look at Erin. She blinked at him, and then smiled. The Drake’s eyes widened. He opened his mouth to crow at Klbkch and Olesm’s backs—

Narmi fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 29, 2021

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Narmi posted:

Rags can get in, but she can't summon the door. Only Erin's family can, and they're all gone.

I'm not sure if Erin has to whitelist or blacklist people to determine entry, if it's the former it will be a problem.

Looks like Relc is gonna be the doorkeeper, which is gonna be interesting

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Whoever it is that posted the story of the last human in a world of elves and other races - good story, thanks for posting it.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

tithin posted:

Whoever it is that posted the story of the last human in a world of elves and other races - good story, thanks for posting it.

Which story was this?

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/42385/an-outcast-in-another-world-subtitle-is-insanity

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That's the one

good story, good characters, deffo enjoying it.

the system's an rear end in a top hat.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I hope BtDEM ends without Elaine and Iona ever meeting just because it would make so many people so angry.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

tithin posted:

That's the one

good story, good characters, deffo enjoying it.

the system's an rear end in a top hat.

Nah, it sucks, waste of words

That was a joke. I'm the author. Glad you're enjoying it, and thanks for reading.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Plorkyeran posted:

I hope BtDEM ends without Elaine and Iona ever meeting just because it would make so many people so angry.

That would be pretty funny.

Of course it's possible that Elaine is out traipsing between realities. She already has that class unlocked, and with thousands of years, she could have picked it up at some point. Maybe Iona's story builds up to her getting transported to Earth. That might make people even angrier.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I’m working my way through Ar’Kendrithyst and am generally enjoying it. It ticks my two biggest boxes: the Erick, the main character, learns and grows over time, and when he fails, there are consequences. It’s not the most narratively cohesive thing (at one point a cataclysmic threat was three days away from reaching the city and Erick declared it was time to figure out how to recreate lemons) but when it’s on track it does a great job of tying together all of its myriad narrative threads into a strong plot. I’m binge-reading it so I can’t really comment on pacing, but I always want to click the next chapter button which is about as good of a read on pacing as I can get.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

blastron posted:

I’m working my way through Ar’Kendrithyst and am generally enjoying it. It ticks my two biggest boxes: the Erick, the main character, learns and grows over time, and when he fails, there are consequences. It’s not the most narratively cohesive thing (at one point a cataclysmic threat was three days away from reaching the city and Erick declared it was time to figure out how to recreate lemons) but when it’s on track it does a great job of tying together all of its myriad narrative threads into a strong plot. I’m binge-reading it so I can’t really comment on pacing, but I always want to click the next chapter button which is about as good of a read on pacing as I can get.

It is good, and it gets better from where you are at imo.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

KamikazePotato posted:

Nah, it sucks, waste of words

That was a joke. I'm the author. Glad you're enjoying it, and thanks for reading.

Thanks for writing it, more enjoyable than I thought it would be - hope we see some more from earth side because the results from... The story so far from their perspective seem muted.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Peachfart posted:

It is good, and it gets better from where you are at imo.

I'm actually further along from what I mentioned (currently at the Dark Feast in Ar'Kendrithyst, a couple chapters after Erick got the extra Stats and then blew up a crime syndicate) and agree that it definitely keeps getting better.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

blastron posted:

I'm actually further along from what I mentioned (currently at the Dark Feast in Ar'Kendrithyst, a couple chapters after Erick got the extra Stats and then blew up a crime syndicate) and agree that it definitely keeps getting better.
I'm at about the same part and enjoying it.

The blurb on Royal Road could definitely be better. Wait I just checked it, and its different now. I'm sure it used to go into how the daughter was joining the CIA. So I assumed that it was going to have some ra-ra USA bullshit. But it turns and she just likes killing, and in that light the CIA would make sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Enjoying this more than I expected to. It makes better use of the gamification stuff than most things that decide to go that route.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I like that Primal Hunter just gave up today and used straight up screenshots of their excel sheets. Less good for those on screen-readers, much better for the rest of us!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI Patreon:
Bird should have realized something. He wasn’t the insane one.

Niers was the insane one.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

ianmacdo posted:

I'm at about the same part and enjoying it.

The blurb on Royal Road could definitely be better. Wait I just checked it, and its different now. I'm sure it used to go into how the daughter was joining the CIA. So I assumed that it was going to have some ra-ra USA bullshit. But it turns and she just likes killing, and in that light the CIA would make sense.

I started reading this and I am enjoying it. I like that the CIA detail is just there to efficiently let the reader know this woman is a high functioning sociopath.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Wittgen posted:

I started reading this and I am enjoying it. I like that the CIA detail is just there to efficiently let the reader know this woman is a high functioning sociopath.

The story mostly treats her as an adrenaline-junkie/typical isekai protagonist but yeah Jane is nuts and totally down for the killin and hard-choices in their brave new world

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I enjoy the differences between Jane(typical insane protagonist that revels in a world where she can murder the poo poo out of everyone) and the main character Erick(former social worker that is a savant at magic and tries to be kind and just in a world that lacks those values).

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Peachfart posted:

I enjoy the differences between Jane(typical insane protagonist that revels in a world where she can murder the poo poo out of everyone) and the main character Erick(former social worker that is a savant at magic and tries to be kind and just in a world that lacks those values).

I ended up dropping it cause those same differences just gave me tonal whiplash.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Having caught up with An Outcast in Another World, there are a few things that bug me (though I still enjoy it a lot). The biggest is probably that the dialogue is frequently sort of "indulgent" and feels like the sort of thing people daydream when imagining how their conversations will (ideally) go with other people (and consequently there's a "same voice" issue).

It also bugs me when stories act like it's possible for people to repeatedly and willingly suffer grievous injuries and "get used to it." They'll point out that the person in question is having a hard time of it and is maybe "broken" or whatever, but that isn't how that sort of thing works. Certain levels of pain are inherently debilitating in a way that has nothing to do with willpower, and undergoing it repeatedly would make someone less willing to expose themselves to it, not more. It would be one thing if the protagonist's skills granted him some level of pain reduction, but he explicitly rejects using a skill that would do that.

Somewhat similarly, it doesn't seem to make sense to me that the protagonist is supposed to be "literally sadder than (as far as we know) anyone else in the world." He's dealt with terrible stuff, but nothing on the level of "having family members killed" or "being directly exposed to (or participating in) war crimes." Being (potentially permanently) cut off from your family/friends is awful, but it's kind of objectively better than "having your family/friends killed (often in front of your eyes)." The war of the Scouring would have created countless people with significantly worse circumstances than Rob.

Final thing is that I'm not a huge fan of the main romance pairing. I don't really like that they basically bonded over them both being outcasts early on; seems like a recipe for unhealthy codependence and, as far as I can tell, Rob and Keira don't really have much in common beyond "being close due to being each others' only friends early on."

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I've been reading Displacement lately, and I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned before. It's pretty good so far, well-written with a compelling story.

The story is a "transported to a magic world" with a twist; the MC's consciousness is swapped with her counterpart in the magic world, and the story follows both as one tries to survive in new world while the other tries to figure out how to get a job and pay bills in present-day Montreal.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Somewhat similarly, it doesn't seem to make sense to me that the protagonist is supposed to be "literally sadder than (as far as we know) anyone else in the world." He's dealt with terrible stuff, but nothing on the level of "having family members killed" or "being directly exposed to (or participating in) war crimes." Being (potentially permanently) cut off from your family/friends is awful, but it's kind of objectively better than "having your family/friends killed (often in front of your eyes)." The war of the Scouring would have created countless people with significantly worse circumstances than Rob.

i mean he's a human so he levels everything up more than a person of another race would given the same experiences. i think we're going to find out that all of these mentally-twisting skills being at absurdly high levels is what drove many of the humans insane rather than just the leveling high; that was simply the most visible thing to the non-humans of elatra.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jazerus posted:

i mean he's a human so he levels everything up more than a person of another race would given the same experiences. i think we're going to find out that all of these mentally-twisting skills being at absurdly high levels is what drove many of the humans insane rather than just the leveling high; that was simply the most visible thing to the non-humans of elatra.

But the other people hear about it and are like holy poo poo, this guy is sadder than anyone else. It's possible that they're just wrong, but I haven't gotten that impression from the way the topic has been covered in general. And I think that at least some people would be aware of how skills like that work in humans (like Duran, who IIRC is the one who studied Leveling High-afflicted humans and I think I remember him - or some other older Elf character - being stunned at Rob's Melancholy Resistance level at some point). Your interpretation is certainly possible, but the story itself seems to have been making a point about profoundly intense the protagonist's melancholy and suffering are.

Speaking of stuff related to Leveling High, we haven't really been given any indication that humans not directly acting in the war (which is probably most of them, since we've been shown how societies in this setting mostly consist of utility Classes, which likely would never develop any Leveling High problems) have any sort of issues. I've increasingly gotten the impression that the circumstances surrounding the human genocide were actually even less excusable than they even appeared earlier in the story. It seems like the humans were essentially relegated to this lovely geographic area where they could barely get by (with their higher need for food consumption making things even worse - the elves, who only need to consume food every 5 days, have a geographical region that, at least before the Infection, was full of plants and wildlife) and were essentially forced into some attempt at expansion (and unfortunately large-scale conflict is a recipe for disaster due to the interaction between it and Leveling High). And the genocide is especially bad when you consider that most humans not actually fighting wouldn't be crazed and afflicted with Leveling High. Leveling High ironically makes the murder of human civilians seem even more monstrous, because there should have been a clear understanding that the humans doing all the murder were afflicted with system-induced insanity. Duran at least understood as much.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

But the other people hear about it and are like holy poo poo, this guy is sadder than anyone else. It's possible that they're just wrong, but I haven't gotten that impression from the way the topic has been covered in general. And I think that at least some people would be aware of how skills like that work in humans (like Duran, who IIRC is the one who studied Leveling High-afflicted humans and I think I remember him - or some other older Elf character - being stunned at Rob's Melancholy Resistance level at some point). Your interpretation is certainly possible, but the story itself seems to have been making a point about profoundly intense the protagonist's melancholy and suffering are.

Speaking of stuff related to Leveling High, we haven't really been given any indication that humans not directly acting in the war (which is probably most of them, since we've been shown how societies in this setting mostly consist of utility Classes, which likely would never develop any Leveling High problems) have any sort of issues. I've increasingly gotten the impression that the circumstances surrounding the human genocide were actually even less excusable than they even appeared earlier in the story. It seems like the humans were essentially relegated to this lovely geographic area where they could barely get by (with their higher need for food consumption making things even worse - the elves, who only need to consume food every 5 days, have a geographical region that, at least before the Infection, was full of plants and wildlife) and were essentially forced into some attempt at expansion (and unfortunately large-scale conflict is a recipe for disaster due to the interaction between it and Leveling High). And the genocide is especially bad when you consider that most humans not actually fighting wouldn't be crazed and afflicted with Leveling High. Leveling High ironically makes the murder of human civilians seem even more monstrous, because there should have been a clear understanding that the humans doing all the murder were afflicted with system-induced insanity. Duran at least understood as much.

The explicitly stated reason that the allied armies embarked on an attempt to exterminate the humans was that Dragon Queen Ragnavi desired revenge for her murdered family. Everyone went along with it partially because they were mad at the humans but mostly because they did not dare contradict Ragnavi. Yes the war led to monstrous actions on everyone's part, that's what war tends to do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

The explicitly stated reason that the allied armies embarked on an attempt to exterminate the humans was that Dragon Queen Ragnavi desired revenge for her murdered family. Everyone went along with it partially because they were mad at the humans but mostly because they did not dare contradict Ragnavi. Yes the war led to monstrous actions on everyone's part, that's what war tends to do.

Yeah, but my point is just that the actual act of "large-scale genocide through full extermination of a very large population" isn't the sort of thing that just naturally occurs through war (and is explicitly not the sort of thing that normally happens during war in the story's setting). You would at least need a long precedent of the perpetrators viewing the victims as sub-human (or whatever the equivalent would be in a fantasy setting), which doesn't exist in this case (where non-humans marrying humans wasn't even that rare, so presumably there was significant communication between societies). By all accounts, wars pre-Scouring rarely became anything that resulted in heavy civilian casualties. Supposedly most pre-Scouring wars were just border skirmishes resulting in small changes in territory, so "wars that result in mass civilian murder (much less outright intentional genocide)" don't have much precedent in this setting. And Leveling High being the cause of many/most human atrocities should actually make it *more* difficult for non-humans to generalize their hatred to all other humans (since outside of the military you presumably wouldn't see people suffering from significant levels of Leveling High). The distinction between some completely insane human soldier and a random human Utility class in an urban center would be even more clear, since the former don't even behave like normal sapient individuals. This isn't to say that people wouldn't still extend their hatred to the entire human race (because of course they would), but it takes something way beyond "normal" hatred to be willing to personally butcher countless civilians, including children, etc.

The Dragon Queen is definitely the reason it happened in the first place (which was explicitly stated, as you mention), but actually being able to carry out such a thing is noteworthy in and of itself.

All this being said, I don't know if we're actually aware of how many humans were left when they cast the Cataclysm spell. It's possible that most of the genocide hadn't actually been done at the hands of the non-human alliance by that point (and that would be significantly more believable if so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah i think most of the humans were killed by the cataclysm, not the other races. some rear end in a top hat wizard hopped up on melancholy resistance and leveling high decided everything would actually be fine if everybody died. he might even still be alive, the actual last human before rob showed up. maybe he even got an ungodly amount of experience for the cataclysm!