Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Where I live, for small jobs the contractors say they can't schedule it in advance, but they'll call me on a day when they finish a big job early and fit me in. You might try asking local contractors if they'll do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

The Shark battery powered model is supposedly really good. My girlfriend and I will probably pick one up at some point.

yeah I own one that's been alive for like 2-3 years, I got it from groupon as a refurb and bought a 2 year warranty for :tenbux: in case the battery shat itself.. but battery still very much alive. I love battery vacs because it's easy to just grab from closet and run around the livingroom between meetings or something quick. we have a corded vac that pretty much just lives in teh basement and is rarely used unless we're doing a deep clean.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Sous Videodrome posted:

A couple months back I got the Giraffe brand retractable hose reel.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084VLRC9D

It's been great, but now my wife has yanked it out past the stop and it won't retract. I'm gonna open it up and see if I can re-seat the spring. But ugh. Just asking for good vibes from fellow tool users.

E: It is not user serviceable. The cassette inside is attached to the case in some way that isn't accessible without opening the case. We'll see how the warranty goes.

Update on the Giraffe hose: they sent me a new one pretty quickly. I just got around to installing it, it works fine. Good customer service but it's a pretty big design flaw that simply extending the hose breaks it!

I bought one and HD canceled my order because it was out of stock :argh:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FCKGW posted:

No, I bought the Dyson and kinda regret it. It's a good vac but I had to pay extra for the fluffy head and the batteries are sealed. Could have gotten all that with with LG at a cheaper price.

LG is weird. No one seems to like their refrigerators but their front load washers are regarded as the best. Very bipolar company.

FWIW I've owned a Samsung, LG and Whirlpool fridge in the past 12 years and all of them have failed in their own unique ways. Fridges are just absolute garbage these days.

Do you have regular power surges, etc? That poo poo kills appliances. Maybe get a wall protector, or whole house one.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I love my blinged-out LG fridge.

Although that's more a case of nothing has gone wrong with it in the last 7 years rather than being outstanding in any particular way.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

Do you have regular power surges, etc? That poo poo kills appliances. Maybe get a wall protector, or whole house one.

Oh no, they all dying for different and stupid reasons

Samsung - Ice Maker dies within 1 year warranty, tech determined it to be “foam blocking vent causing machine to overwork and kill ice maker”. They just straight refunded my money on that one.
LG - Worked fine for 8 years then compressor goes out. Part is under warranty for 10 years but labor to fix it isn’t covered. Tech quoted me $800+ to repair the sealed system.
Whirlpool - 18 months old and ice maker goes out. Cause is a wire at the bottom of the door gets stretched every time the door is open and it eventually breaks. Had wire spliced two times under Geek Squad warranty already. Only way to fully fix it is replace entire door which buys you another 18 months according to Best Buy reviews.

I spent like a month reading Consumer Reports, reading appliance repair forums and all kinds of reviews before settling on the Whirlpool after my last two issues but nope, every fridge these days just has some stupid design flaw.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 2, 2021

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

FCKGW posted:

every fridge these days just has some stupid design flaw.

Sure, but now you can Tweet from your fridge.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also Dyson and third parties sell replacement batteries for ~$100 — on mine it’s like 3 screws and clearly designed to be replaced so don’t go throwing it out when you need a new one.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FCKGW posted:

Samsung - Ice Maker dies within 1 year warranty, tech determined it to be “foam blocking vent causing machine to overwork and kill ice maker”. They just straight refunded my money on that one.
LG - Worked fine for 8 years then compressor goes out. Part is under warranty for 10 years but labor to fix it isn’t covered. Tech quoted me $800+ to repair the sealed system.
Whirlpool - 18 months old and ice maker goes out. Cause is a wire at the bottom of the door gets stretched every time the door is open and it eventually breaks. Had wire spliced two times under Geek Squad warranty already. Only way to fully fix it is replace entire door which buys you another 18 months according to Best Buy reviews.

I spent like a month reading Consumer Reports, reading appliance repair forums and all kinds of reviews before settling on the Whirlpool after my last two issues but nope, every fridge these days just has some stupid design flaw.

We just ordered two new fridges and got them both without the ice maker in the door. Just a basic ice maker that dumps in a bin in the freezer. One was a Bosch, one a Samsung so we'll see how they how out. The salesman said the biggest flaw in fridges is the ice makers in the door, they almost always fail.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Decent deal on a nice 18v Metabo/Hitachi starter power tool set at Lowe's. Batteries a bit on the small side but can be swapped later.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Metabo-HPT-was-Hitachi-Power-Tools-18V-Sub-Compact-4-Piece-Combo-Kit/5001595175

Set is $179 (price drops when added to cart) and comes with:
IMPACT DRIVER
DRILL
RECIPROCATING SAW
OSCILLATING MULTI-TOOL
(2) 1.5AH BATTERIES AND CHARGER

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

FCKGW posted:

Samsung
LG
Whirlpool

Three brands I will never buy again. The year all my appliances failed my Whirlpool washing machine failed, shortly after the Whirlpool fridge stopped cooling, and before the year was up the nearly new used Whirlpool replacement washing machine failed. The water heater, furnace, and something else also failed that year but I was able to repair the furnace.

edit: That Rigid miter saw stand is awesome, If I would have seen that when it was still in stock I would have bought one for my dad.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 3, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

RE: Amazon Carburetors

Seconding the endorsement. I revived an abandoned '80s Toro snowblower with nothing but a cheap carburetor and some TrueFuel.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

FCKGW posted:

We've had our LG fridge for 7 or 8 years now with zero issues, which, based on the discussions I've seen throughout HCH, seems like a solid lifetime. It also doesn't have any water/ice dispenser and I never hooked up the ice maker, so two common failure points out the window.

That stupid 10 year compressor warranty metallic sticker on the front of it is attached with such strong adhesive we just put a magnet over it to hide it instead of taking it off. It's even better knowing it's a marketing gimmick and still super loving expensive to fix.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I went to an appliance repair/refurb shop once to look at fridges and ask the dude about his opinion on appliances. He showed me all the very recent LG and Samsung models he had. He said why in would these be in my shop if they were good units?

His advice was basically to always buy as simple as possible.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Rufio posted:

His advice was basically to always buy as simple as possible.

The stupid old freezer-on-top design is the most efficient since the cool air is put into the freezer, where it then just falls through an adjustable damper into the fridge. No pumps, just a box with a chiller and doors. I looked at what fridges used the least electricity per year- in any given size class the most efficient one is a freezer-on-top.

E: barring chest-type deep freezers which are even more efficient but that's a freezer not a fridge

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 3, 2021

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Uncle Enzo posted:

but that's a freezer not a fridge

But it can be!

And then you end up with kegs in it. Then you need another one...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Uncle Enzo posted:

The stupid old freezer-on-top design is the most efficient since the cool air is put into the freezer, where it then just falls through an adjustable damper into the fridge. No pumps, just a box with a chiller and doors. I looked at what fridges used the least electricity per year- in any given size class the most efficient one is a freezer-on-top.

Health warning for people buying these; be careful where you put these units, as the cheaper ones don't have a separate thermometer for the freezer compartment and instead rely on the fridge being warm enough to kick on the chiller and keep the freezer frozen. If the ambient temperature hits say 3ºC then the fridge won't call for cooling and the freezer can defrost.

You can wind up cycling your food between thawed and frozen over and over without even knowing it, which can lead to food poisoning. I found this out the hard way.

If they're being used in unheated areas you need to get one that's rated for it.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Alarbus posted:

But it can be!

And then you end up with kegs in it. Then you need another one...

Seriously considering de-converting my 7CF keezer and just using it as a freezer, then buying a 10-14CF freezer to convert to a keezer and using my 5CF freezer (which has food in it now) as a fermentation chamber. Then I can use my 4CF mini fridge as a dedicated seltzer kegerator.

I have too many refrigerators.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Biggest problem with a keezer is that moisture builds up and leads to mold inside.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

NomNomNom posted:

Biggest problem with a keezer is that moisture builds up and leads to mold inside.

Mine mostly freezes, so I just have to take everything out and defrost now and then.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Health warning for people buying these; be careful where you put these units, as the cheaper ones don't have a separate thermometer for the freezer compartment and instead rely on the fridge being warm enough to kick on the chiller and keep the freezer frozen. If the ambient temperature hits say 3ºC then the fridge won't call for cooling and the freezer can defrost.

You can wind up cycling your food between thawed and frozen over and over without even knowing it, which can lead to food poisoning. I found this out the hard way.

If they're being used in unheated areas you need to get one that's rated for it.

I have a garage freezer and would like to chime in on this that a normal or subnormal rating will not do for unheated rooms. There is a good chance the appliance will just die.
Luckily a lot of Liebherr's lineup has engineering approval to run in subzero temps.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Uncle Enzo posted:

The stupid old freezer-on-top design is the most efficient since the cool air is put into the freezer, where it then just falls through an adjustable damper into the fridge. No pumps, just a box with a chiller and doors.
I have bad knees, so freezer-on-top means I can't get to a third of the fridge. Freezer-on-bottom is okay because you lean down and look at the top of a freezer, rather than having to get down at eye level.

Our house came with brand-new cheap appliances. The fridge works fine but is freezer-on-top; the washing machine is a combined stacked washer-on-dryer single unit, rather than being two separate units stacked. The washer is not high-efficiency, which is a big drat deal because we're on a well. It also has an agitator, which is hard on clothes. This has been a vacation house for decades, so there's no dishwasher. It's an old house, so the countertops are not at a standard height; furthermore, they are a solid slab of cast stone, which would be a royal pain in the rear end to cut or to raise. The freezer is okay for keeping ice cream, but not great for "Let's make a pot of chili/vegetable soup/tomato sauce and save the leftovers for later," or, just as important, "Look, they've got chuck at $2.50, let's split that up and freeze half."
So. Long-term: replace washer and dryer. Longer-term, optional: replace fridge. Right now: dishwasher and chest freezer.

I did massive amounts of measuring today, and found 1 (one) dishwasher that could fit under our counter, a Bosch. It's short because it's ADA-compliant. I also found 1 (one) freezer that would fit in the storage niche on the outside of our house. It's a GE garage-ready 7 cu. foot chest freezer. I ordered both of them, because the carpenter is finally available to rebuild the cabinets leaving a dishwasher-shaped hole. When will the plumbing/electric company be able to install the dishwasher line and electricity? Scheduling person: "We talk about you every week at our Thursday meeting." But it doesn't matter, because the dishwasher will be here, at best, October 8th. The freezer will be here, at best, November 18th.

Bosch dishwashers are great. That is all.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have bad knees, so freezer-on-top means I can't get to a third of the fridge. Freezer-on-bottom is okay because you lean down and look at the top of a freezer, rather than having to get down at eye level.

Our house came with brand-new cheap appliances. The fridge works fine but is freezer-on-top; the washing machine is a combined stacked washer-on-dryer single unit, rather than being two separate units stacked. The washer is not high-efficiency, which is a big drat deal because we're on a well. It also has an agitator, which is hard on clothes. This has been a vacation house for decades, so there's no dishwasher. It's an old house, so the countertops are not at a standard height; furthermore, they are a solid slab of cast stone, which would be a royal pain in the rear end to cut or to raise. The freezer is okay for keeping ice cream, but not great for "Let's make a pot of chili/vegetable soup/tomato sauce and save the leftovers for later," or, just as important, "Look, they've got chuck at $2.50, let's split that up and freeze half."
So. Long-term: replace washer and dryer. Longer-term, optional: replace fridge. Right now: dishwasher and chest freezer.

I did massive amounts of measuring today, and found 1 (one) dishwasher that could fit under our counter, a Bosch. It's short because it's ADA-compliant. I also found 1 (one) freezer that would fit in the storage niche on the outside of our house. It's a GE garage-ready 7 cu. foot chest freezer. I ordered both of them, because the carpenter is finally available to rebuild the cabinets leaving a dishwasher-shaped hole. When will the plumbing/electric company be able to install the dishwasher line and electricity? Scheduling person: "We talk about you every week at our Thursday meeting." But it doesn't matter, because the dishwasher will be here, at best, October 8th. The freezer will be here, at best, November 18th.

Bosch dishwashers are great. That is all.

This is now a thread about appliances.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My KitchenAid stand mixers are totally tools. :colbert:

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Mambold posted:

This is now a thread about appliances.

Timing! Defrost function in the freezer broke on my 21 year old Viking built-in and found out today its not the 2 cheaper and somewhat generic components to blame, it's the mainboard, and it's almost certainly been out of production for years. I'll find out Tuesday if old stock is available.

Built-in Fridges are heinously expensive! I'm looking at $9-14k for a good replacement. Looks like my best options are KitchenAid at the "low" end or just going whole hog and getting SubZero.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I would wager there is someone out there that can repair or refurbish the Mainboard. It could be something like a few bad capacitors.

It’s worth exploring before dropping 5 figures on a new fridge.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Elem7 posted:

Built-in Fridges are heinously expensive! I'm looking at $9-14k for a good replacement. Looks like my best options are KitchenAid at the "low" end or just going whole hog and getting SubZero.

I've heard the thing to do is get a standalone fridge and freezer, then get a trim kit that makes it look built in.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

skipdogg posted:

I would wager there is someone out there that can repair or refurbish the Mainboard. It could be something like a few bad capacitors.

It’s worth exploring before dropping 5 figures on a new fridge.

This, or google the model #. You'd be surprised. My AC blower motor went out a few months ago, and a Carrier 1/2 motor, well heck, how expensive could that be? Well heck, it has a proprietary logic board attached, so bendover sally. But, they're out there for quite a bit less than the 1 large Carrier wanted.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you're going super-high-end, consider Thermador; they have excellent reliability per Consumer Reports (which doesn't rate SubZero any more); I've heard bad word-of-mouth about SubZero in recent years.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

skipdogg posted:

I discussed that with the repairman as an option and came away with the impression it can be pretty pricey regardless of what's actually wrong plus however long that takes we're completely without a fridge. If a new board can't be sourced it's something I may look more into but the other issue is the fact that according to the repair guy at this age the fridge could be put down permanently by a leak in the closed evap system any moment, he said that usually kills this model before the 20 year mark and I'm on borrowed time. I don't want to drop 5 figures on a fridge, ever, but it likely doesn't make sense to spend much past $1k fixing it either.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I've heard the thing to do is get a standalone fridge and freezer, then get a trim kit that makes it look built in.

The thought crossed my mind that maybe it'd be better to buy a regular fridge then redo the space around it but then I'd still be stuck using a counter-depth model where the options aren't as good and the capacity is very poor. Long term I was hoping the $25~k of fancy appliances in this kitchen would last long enough for us to do a total remodel where we could arrange things so we're not pigeon holed into 5 figure appliances.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you're going super-high-end, consider Thermador; they have excellent reliability per Consumer Reports (which doesn't rate SubZero any more); I've heard bad word-of-mouth about SubZero in recent years.

I haven't really heard good things about Thermador reliability myself but they don't seem very common where I'm at either.

I did talk with the repairman for nearly an hour since it was his last call of the day and he did bring up SubZero having had some major issues in the late aughts due to a supplier problem but he indicated they're past that now. Hopefully the part can be sourced and I can get another 3-5 years out of the fridge if not, well, it's not going to break us, I was just venting in the tools thread about a fridge since it came up.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So has anyone here ever used their bandsaw as a belt grinder? How did it work??? I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on some 70.5" sanding belts.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Literally A Person posted:

So has anyone here ever used their bandsaw as a belt grinder? How did it work??? I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on some 70.5" sanding belts.

I tried it once with a 1" belt on my 14" bandsaw. Can't recall what the project was, and I think I broke it early on. HF belt, if that's a hint. It might have been some curved 4x4 doglegs for some speaker stands I made, and may have gouged the pieces as much as it helped. Sorry, I'm not much help here.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Literally A Person posted:

I've only ever seen it done in a sponsered video where they do it on a Hammer bandsaw, seems slick, they use a platen to back up the belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3N9zNzDFLo 3:20 onward

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

dangling pointer posted:

That being said I’m not familiar with ones that can run in the PTO of a tractor if you have one, those might be decent.

Basically don’t waste your time with a smaller underpowered one.

I bought this woodchipper earlier this spring: https://www.woodmaxx.com/TM-86H-PTO-Wood-Chipper-p/tm-86h.htm. I ran it on my tractor that has ~20hp at the PTO. I used it to chip branches from 4 ash trees I took down. I chipped up to 4-5" diameter limbs that were pretty dry (anything larger I chopped up for firewood). It's pricey but it has a hydraulic feed which is fantastic and sped up the process significantly.

I started out using a ~13 hp standalone chipper that used a 40lb flywheel. That would have been miserable to use for an extended period of time. It had a small infeed opening so I'd have to pre-cut up most of the branches to fit, and force them by hand down the chute. The limbs also vibrated a lot while being forced down the chute. Fortunately I bought it on craigslist for cheap (compared to a similarly spec'd new one) and sold it for what I paid.

Also for chippers, when they're advertised as "self-feeding", that means you feed them down the infeed chute yourself. If you're going to be chipping a lot, spring for hydraulic feed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dyne posted:

Also for chippers, when they're advertised as "self-feeding", that means you feed them down the infeed chute yourself. If you're going to be chipping a lot, spring for hydraulic feed.

Gaddmn this. I have a self-feeding one for my tractor. It was too good a deal to pass up, but I really should unload it (definitely for more than I paid for it) and buy the one you have.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shovel Question

Which is better?
Root Assassin or Root Slayer?

I have a Root Slayer hand trowel that I really like, but I need an actual shovel that can cut through thick grass roots, and I’m trying to decide if I should stick with RS or see if the serrated edges on the Root Assassin stuff are worth it.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 11, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Shovel Question

Which is better?
Root Assassin or Root Slayer?

I have a Root Slayer hand trowel that I really like, but I need an actual shovel that can cut through thick grass roots, and I’m trying to decide if I should stick with RS or see if the serrated edges on the Root Assassin stuff are worth it.

I don't know about serrated spades but I got by well enough on thick grass roots using a garden fork. Press in, then lever forward and back once each to tear up the roots.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't know about serrated spades but I got by well enough on thick grass roots using a garden fork. Press in, then lever forward and back once each to tear up the roots.

I tried that and I couldn’t get it to work. Not sure if I have a lovely fork or if my arms are just weak.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

By the way if any of y’all need a new miter saw the DeWalt DWS780 is now $500 at Home Depot. That’s $100 cheaper than it was selling for when I got mine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...WS780/202922350

Still more than the DWS779 but maybe the kerf light is more worth it at this price? :shrug:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I have almost no need for a miter saw, but I don't have one, so obviously I want to get one. This is tempting.