Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

buffalo all day posted:

im fired up, going wild, absolutely hooting and hollering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

What a terrible snype, Jesus Christ

Content: show looks aesthetic as hell, much more Tolkien than GRRM (which matches it's inspiration I guess :sun: )

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ChickenWing posted:

What a terrible snype, Jesus Christ

i respectfully disagree

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My bet is they move Mat's Healing up. He's dead weight till that happens and the best character afterwards.

I'm very much looking forward to that scene when he's full creep. “Pretty Nynaeve..." etc

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah to me it appears that they moved Logain's capture to happen after the story of the books has begun. I assume that the trailer mostly showed scenes from the first three episodes since they're being released together on Nov 19th. What I think is that after the group splits when they flee from Shadar Logoth, Lan, Moraine, and Nynaeve end up stumbling across the Aes Sedai who have captured Logain. Logain attempts to escape, Moraine is probably injured during this (scene of her being healed and her not being in the scenes with the other Aes Sedai) and is recovering as Lan and Nynaeve get caught up in the Dragonsworn attacking. In the books one of the Aes Sedai sent to capture Logain is killed and I assume this happens here too, explaining the shot of the warder holding the ring and crying. Giving Logain a bigger role is a good idea, it helps make his eventually healing from being stilled more emotionally relevant for the viewers, it gives viewers an idea of what a danger male channelers can be, and it also shows how powerful the name Dragon Reborn is if he can gather an army just by declaring himself. I really hope in season 2 they get to the part where Rand sees Logain in the cage and Logain stares at him and starts laughing since he can see Rand is ta'veren, I love that.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Ok I finally had the chance to cast the teaser to my Roku and on the big TV with some bass the it looks even cooler. I asked my sweet girlfriend if she'd check it out and though she's not really into fantasy books (watched GoT tho) she thought it was intriguing enough that she'd like to check out the show.

I'm getting more hyped!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm lost on the colors complaint.

Ajahs, Tinkers, Gleeman's patchwork cloaks, etc. The series is *very* colorful. If anything it's toned down since it doesn't look like weave's have their own colors.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nobody's complaining about the colors. They're appreciating that the colors are there instead of being the typical washed-out drabness.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

thrawn527 posted:

Holy hell. It looks good! They may not have screwed this up!

You have described my feelings pretty well.

(hype hype hype)

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

buffalo all day posted:

im fired up, going wild, absolutely hooting and hollering

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ChickenWing posted:

Content: show looks aesthetic as hell, much more Tolkien than GRRM (which matches it's inspiration I guess :sun: )

Yeah, I'm getting a lot of LOTR vibes from the trailer, especially the Emond field's scenes. Which fits the book 1 aesthetic just fine.

It looks like the show is using the Aes Sedai ceremonial dress for everything so far? Makes sense for the scenes we've seen so far, except for capturing Logain. Meeting the Amyrlin Seat in the White Tower would be be using ceremonial outfits, the same way military, religious, and political organizations do now. Same for doing a public parade of a captured Logain, they're showing off. Doesn't make as much sense tromping through the woods or capturing Logain, but considering how often aes sedai did flaunt their ajah colors in the book, and which ajah are being shown, I'm willing to give them this.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
I assume they are using the colored dress as visual shorthand to replace the Shawls and Ageless face. Could also be using it to emphasize the divided Ajahs from the start of the story.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

MadHat posted:

I assume they are using the colored dress as visual shorthand to replace the Shawls and Ageless face. Could also be using it to emphasize the divided Ajahs from the start of the story.

yeah, looks like that they're not doing the ageless face thing. it could have been done easily if they had chosen elderly botoxed actresses

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I still think it was a mistake to have a White Ajah. Have 6 (or 5 without grey) "color" ajahs, and then the Amyrlyn and the Keeper wear white. Since white is all colors, that would make a potent symbol of the Amyrlin being all ajahs, and would make a proper contrast to the Black Ajah. It's not like there are too few Aes Sedai characters, and combining white and brown for example would make sense (bookish plus logic focused), as well as grey and yellow (healing nations/communities through diplomacy and negotiation would fit the yellows imho).

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Torrannor posted:

I still think it was a mistake to have a White Ajah. Have 6 (or 5 without grey) "color" ajahs, and then the Amyrlyn and the Keeper wear white. Since white is all colors, that would make a potent symbol of the Amyrlin being all ajahs, and would make a proper contrast to the Black Ajah. It's not like there are too few Aes Sedai characters, and combining white and brown for example would make sense (bookish plus logic focused), as well as grey and yellow (healing nations/communities through diplomacy and negotiation would fit the yellows imho).

yeah, i couldn't even remember what the greys did

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Eh. Browns are about gathering and preserving worldly knowledge, while Whites disdain that sort of thing in favor of logic and philosophy. I feel like you'd be better off deleting the Whites entirely rather than trying to meld them with the Brown Ajah.

Yellow and Gray would also be a bad match, imo. Yellow is all about the very technical Power-intensive skill of Healing, which is a vastly different focus from the Power-light area of diplomacy and politics. Imagine making doctors into diplomats because 'well, you could consider diplomacy the act of healing nations, and since doctors heal bodies their MD should also make them good at diplomacy because they're both forms of healing.'

If you want to cut an Ajah and leave White for the Amyrlin, I'd fold the politics and diplomacy into the Blues and recolor the White Ajah as gray. Moiraine is the main blue you see and she's definitely got the political/diplomatic chops to make it a very reasonable focus area for blues, as do Siuan and Leane.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Iirc they go from biggest to smallest

Green- Battle mages, multiple Warders
Red- hunt men who can channel, no Warders
Yellow- Healers
Grey- Mediators
Brown- General academics
Blue- You're a loose cannon but dammit you get results
White- Philosophers

There's a lot of weird overlap and the books gave the Whites and Greys really short shrift overall.

I also find it weird that there are so few Blues and comparatively tons of Greens considering Blue Ajah seems to mostly be 'do whatever the gently caress you want' while Greens are supposedly in the line of fire more.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Green ajah = fuckin' ajah. You'll likely never see battle because Aes Sedai don't actually do anything useful other than meddle in the affairs of kings, so why not spend your days getting railed by 1 to 3 supernaturally buff, indefatigable dudes that you share an empathetic connection with. It's no wonder it's such a popular choice, sign me the gently caress up

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Khizan posted:

Eh. Browns are about gathering and preserving worldly knowledge, while Whites disdain that sort of thing in favor of logic and philosophy. I feel like you'd be better off deleting the Whites entirely rather than trying to meld them with the Brown Ajah.

Yellow and Gray would also be a bad match, imo. Yellow is all about the very technical Power-intensive skill of Healing, which is a vastly different focus from the Power-light area of diplomacy and politics. Imagine making doctors into diplomats because 'well, you could consider diplomacy the act of healing nations, and since doctors heal bodies their MD should also make them good at diplomacy because they're both forms of healing.'

If you want to cut an Ajah and leave White for the Amyrlin, I'd fold the politics and diplomacy into the Blues and recolor the White Ajah as gray. Moiraine is the main blue you see and she's definitely got the political/diplomatic chops to make it a very reasonable focus area for blues, as do Siuan and Leane.

The Gathering Storm, Chapter 12 posted:

"We would very much like to have you in the Yellow, I think," the woman [Suana Dragand, head of the Yellow Ajah] said.
Egwene started. "I've never shown particular skill for Healing."
"Being of the Yellow isn't about skill, child," Suana said, "It's about passion. If you love to make things well, to fix that which is broken, there would be a purpose for you here."

Granted, some of her desire to see Egwene join her ajah likely goes beyond thinking she's be a good fit for the Yellow. But it's not like she could tell an outright lie, so if she says that being skilled in Healing isn't an absolute requirement to join them, then it must be true. Which is why I think the grey ajah could have been folded into the yellow ajah, under the premise of "fixing things that are broken", through diplomacy and mediation. And a successfully mediated conflict that thanks to Aes Sedai influence doesn't devolve into war amounts to preventive healing, too.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My bet is they move Mat's Healing up. He's dead weight till that happens and the best character afterwards.

It changes motivations somewhat for TGH--they would not be going after Padan Fain for the dagger AND the horn, for not really much more increase in "Cool Mat" time. I don't know about this.

It's not like Mat's entirely dead weight, just play up more of his "even while he's mentally and physically ill he's still doing his best for his friends" angle that's present throughout the Caemlyn road arc and half of TGH. Given what I assume the compressed schedule will be, the difference will be maybe half a season.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 3, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

they can maybe also try to preserve some of the ambiguity about which of the two rivers kids it is, which doesn't really exist in the books because we're always in Rand's head and he's the obvious protagonist

lol. It's Mat in the show. If they literally did this, I would love them for it.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

ninjoatse.cx posted:

lol. It's Mat in the show. If they literally did this, I would love them for it.

Nuu, luk at me, im da drgorn reburn, lol

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

William Bear posted:

Nuu, luk at me, im da drgorn reburn, lol

That's also the last time he will be happy again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hey, he seems pretty relaxed and happy at the absolute end of the books

don't ask me about what happens beforehand to lead to that, though

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

That's also the last time he will be happy again.

That's what I love about that shot. Seeing Rand with a big goofy smile is hilarious.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Rand seemed pretty happy when he told the joke about the man falling out of the tree.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I'm still kinda sad it sounds like they've cut the prologue.

I thought it would have been a fantastic open. Just have it say 3,000 years ago on screen, show the prologue as written, show the creation of dragonmount.

Fade to Black and then fade back in with opening credits starting and "present day" at the top of Dragon Mount. And have the narrator start the "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose above Dragon Mount. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning"

Then show the travels of the wind blowing across rand land until it gets to the two rivers and blows into Rand walking down the road.

And the opening credits would always be the wind blowing from dragonmount to somewhere in the world.

Hire me Bezos.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

i recommend you watch “winter dragon”…

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
They could always add the prologue later in the series. I mean they kind of have to, don't they? I agree it would have been a really good opening for the whole show though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There's absolutely no way that the prologue doesn't show up at some point. I could see it being a pretty intense flashback or Rand dream or something. I can imagine how, in the format of a TV show, one might want to move it around to where it could have the most impact.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

buffalo all day posted:

i recommend you watch “winter dragon”…

I still think Billy Zane was amazing in that, even with all the poo poo around it.

Hell, if they redo the prologue get him back to play the same role.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
costuming give some "The Last Airbender" shivers but mostly cautiously optimistic here.

Seems somewhere between kitsch and good

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A complaint I've seen is that everything looks too clean. I think it makes sense for the Aes Sedai to look pristine, but yea Perrin does not look like he's been busting rear end in a blacksmith's shop all day. Rand looks way too Pretty Boy for some farm kid as well IMO. Oh well, whatever. Still excited, I've watched the trailer like 6 times lol.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

emonds field has shingles instead of thatched roofs in the trailer. if they're changing around major characters like Cenn Buie there's no hope for the series at all.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The first time I read TEotW I was a dumb teen that was actually surprised Rand was the Dragon and that Ba'alzamon was a forsaken and not the Dark One. I wonder if they're going to try to preserve that for the audience in the show. The second reveal might be a reason to skip the prologue.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

A complaint I've seen is that everything looks too clean. I think it makes sense for the Aes Sedai to look pristine, but yea Perrin does not look like he's been busting rear end in a blacksmith's shop all day. Rand looks way too Pretty Boy for some farm kid as well IMO. Oh well, whatever. Still excited, I've watched the trailer like 6 times lol.

Yeah this combined with the bloom used in the trailer makes the whole thing look very YA fiction

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think I heard that the first book was written with a sort of... ambiguous isn't the right word, but I don't know a better one... with an "open" ending in case the publisher didn't "go for" book 2. So it's like Baalzamon is The Dark One... but only if EOTW was the only book published?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 3, 2021

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

How are u posted:

There's absolutely no way that the prologue doesn't show up at some point. I could see it being a pretty intense flashback or Rand dream or something. I can imagine how, in the format of a TV show, one might want to move it around to where it could have the most impact.

Ya I'm a fan of pushing it back, personally some of my least favorite things are characters talking about something we don't yet understand or flashbacks that won't make sense until they're contextualized later on. Which I guess is ironic given there's a bunch of prophecies and vague meetings with cloaked strangers in WoT but I tended to kinda skim those parts.

Actually now I wonder how they'll depict the Age of Legends, or if we'll get a visualization of normal Age of Legends society. That might end up kinda goofy but I'm also really curious what their vision of it would look like. Like it's kinda a hybrid of modern day with fantasy magic world right? Like they had cars and planes and poo poo?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Utopian sci-fi future but instead of fusion and solar running everything it's clean-burning one power. I'd love to see a glimpse of flying cars and fantastical cities in the show, particularly if it's as they catch fire and burn down from the Breaking.

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself but I'm really wondering how they're going to handle the Rhuidean sequence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah this combined with the bloom used in the trailer makes the whole thing look very YA fiction

the first book is straight-up YA fantasy. the second book sort of isn't, the third book breaks from that structurally by having the Chosen One not have hardly any POV . the subject matter and structure of the story both mature over time.

it's probably too much to hope for that they try to construct that visually. but it would be sick. this is just one turning of the wheel.