Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah this combined with the bloom used in the trailer makes the whole thing look very YA fiction

I have no idea what the difference between ya fiction and giant fantasy series is, can you elaborate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah some people have speculated that the first season may be shot with a bright visual palette to illustrate the innocence of the protagonists and as the plot develops and the characters mature, that may change.

I think that could really work well, if that's what they are going for. The books definitely have that and if they could translate it to a visual medium, that would be great art.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That sounds dangerously close to a theme, and I have it on good authority those are for eighth grade book reports.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Chomposaur posted:

Ya I'm a fan of pushing it back, personally some of my least favorite things are characters talking about something we don't yet understand or flashbacks that won't make sense until they're contextualized later on. Which I guess is ironic given there's a bunch of prophecies and vague meetings with cloaked strangers in WoT but I tended to kinda skim those parts.

Actually now I wonder how they'll depict the Age of Legends, or if we'll get a visualization of normal Age of Legends society. That might end up kinda goofy but I'm also really curious what their vision of it would look like. Like it's kinda a hybrid of modern day with fantasy magic world right? Like they had cars and planes and poo poo?

Yeah, the AoL had an actually city/continent wide standing network of power flows so that even non-channelers could just kinda "plug in" all the random ter'angreal that are filling up storerooms in the tower. They've gotta have some idea how they're going to depict this stuff because of the awesome visions in book 4. Everything from actual fuckin jetpack infantry and flying cars to FutureTechResearchCollege collapsing when Lanfear drills the bore.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I hope this bright and cheery fantasy show covers the scene in book three where a shadow entangles itself in a man's hair and literally rips his entire skin off of his body resulting in a dangling flabby skin sack hanging from the ceiling while his still-alive bloody flesh corpse dances and screams in its clothes.

WoT may gloss over a lot of the sex but boy howdy does it love some gore from time to time.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

I have no idea what the difference between ya fiction and giant fantasy series is, can you elaborate?

Sure - YA fiction usually doesn't depict thousands of people being exploded and ground up into pieces by magic threshers.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah it's good to err on too bright at the beginning, given that the series is quite literally about the world descending into The Actual Apocalypse and things are going to get real dark!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

CainsDescendant posted:

Utopian sci-fi future but instead of fusion and solar running everything it's clean-burning one power. I'd love to see a glimpse of flying cars and fantastical cities in the show, particularly if it's as they catch fire and burn down from the Breaking.

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself but I'm really wondering how they're going to handle the Rhuidean sequence

loving carefully if they know what's good for them. Rhuidean is in my top five moments for the entire series and part of that is because it's told backwards. I know that's going to be hard as hell to portray backwards on TV, but if it's told chronologically it loses some of the magic. It's going to be extremely difficult but hopefully they'll have a few seasons to work it out.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Soysaucebeast posted:

loving carefully if they know what's good for them. Rhuidean is in my top five moments for the entire series and part of that is because it's told backwards. I know that's going to be hard as hell to portray backwards on TV, but if it's told chronologically it loses some of the magic. It's going to be extremely difficult but hopefully they'll have a few seasons to work it out.

Seriously. There's a lot I'm willing to compromise on to get the show out. Thom plays a guitar instead of a harp? Fine. Camelyn moved to later and some of the towns and villages in the first book get skipped entirely? No worries. Major characters get dropped or compressed? Has to happen.

However, I'm not willing to compromise on the three times the books veer off from normal continuity. "I win again, Lews Theron," Rand in Rhuidean, and Aviendha in Rhuidean are some of my favorite parts of the whole thing, and I demand that they be included and done well. If the people who haven't read the books don't get the same "oh holy poo poo!" reaction watching those scene that I had when I read those sections, the show will be a failure, regardless of how well they do anything else. :colbert:

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

jng2058 posted:

However, I'm not willing to compromise on the three times the books veer off from normal continuity. "I win again, Lews Theron," Rand in Rhuidean, and Aviendha in Rhuidean are some of my favorite parts of the whole thing, and I demand that they be included and done well. If the people who haven't read the books don't get the same "oh holy poo poo!" reaction watching those scene that I had when I read those sections, the show will be a failure, regardless of how well they do anything else. :colbert:

I said it before, and I'll say it again, the prologue should go in the Rhuidean sequence. Have the genetic memory flashbacks and follow up with that. Have it be weird and different because it's not his blood, but his soul that's driving the memory. Play it out like there's a real chance that Rand might not be able to accept what he's seeing and lose it like Muradin does. Cut to black with him full frame screaming at the camera, no diegetic sound just "I have won again Lews Therin." Cliffhanger that poo poo.

Sure you know they aren't going to end the series there, but that's still some good TV in my book.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'd put it at the Eye (where he's trying to deny what he is) or just before Falme (where he proclaims himself) - perhaps as part of the Portal Stone. Assuming, of course, that the rough plot outline is intact.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

You know what, prologue as part of the Portal stone or as a replacement for the mirror universe flashes makes sense, as much as I hate to say it.

Realistically those flashes are really difficult to do in a TV show when you can't quickly summarize a lot time into a single sentence. Even if you did like 5 different short flashes, it would be a big budget sink.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I bet with as fast as they are gonna fly through the books they don’t really touch on the Aiel past stuff much.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as dope as i think the prologue would be to start it all off and get people immediately hooked, there's definitely opportunities where they can plug it in later and have it be just as relevant

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I didn't even notice the shot of Egwene coming out of the color water had 2 people in the background.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
First post on page 188 so I'm sure it has already been discussed, but I can't wait to watch the TV watching public react to TV's first polycule :allears:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Franks Happy Place posted:

First post on page 188 so I'm sure it has already been discussed, but I can't wait to watch the TV watching public react to TV's first polycule :allears:

The Expanse already had one of those.

Rand's relationship with the 3 ladies doesn't really strike me as a polycule, to be honest.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Where does big love rate on the polycule scale?cause they did it a while back.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Single Parents, a fairly pedestrian/vanilla sitcom where half the cast were children had one too.

Rand isn't even a very good example, because it's agreed upon by all the members until very much later.

It's mostly a guy sleeping around and coercing the women into the situation. So I guess accurate to the more toxic examples of polyamory you see.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 3, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Sure - YA fiction usually doesn't depict thousands of people being exploded and ground up into pieces by magic threshers.

Ah, sure; I tend to think of wheel of time's horror and gore as not being the focus enough to make the whole world grimdark. It's there, certainly, but bright and such feels about right for the start of the series, at least.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

How are u posted:

The Expanse already had one of those.

Rand's relationship with the 3 ladies doesn't really strike me as a polycule, to be honest.

I don't really even think of them as real relationships, the pattern said rand needed these 3 close influences so he got them boom mother maiden crone. arranged marriages by the matrix

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Min is the best

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

emonds field has shingles instead of thatched roofs in the trailer. if they're changing around major characters like Cenn Buie there's no hope for the series at all.

I’ll have you know that in my headcanon Rand’s dragon banner is just a drawing of Trogdor

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

im fired up, going wild, absolutely hooting and hollering

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Brolander posted:

I don't really even think of them as real relationships, the pattern said rand needed these 3 close influences so he got them boom mother maiden crone. arranged marriages by the matrix

Min is the crone, lol

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Min is an awesome crone, she rules.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Brolander posted:

I don't think this pattern remotely applies, they're all maiden at best, maybe a bit of mother too.

It's way more of a harem anime, complete with Aviendha as the tsundere

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Aviendha's literally a Maiden, Elayne is pregnant for a bunch of books, and Min is a seer and all wrapped up in seeing fate happen, it's a pretty clear maiden/mother/crone tripartite thing going on. Someone who knows more about the origins of that trope could probably say more about it

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

CainsDescendant posted:

Aviendha's literally a Maiden, Elayne is pregnant for a bunch of books, and Min is a seer and all wrapped up in seeing fate happen, it's a pretty clear maiden/mother/crone tripartite thing going on. Someone who knows more about the origins of that trope could probably say more about it

Aviendha also gets pregnant, and Min being a seer is the only part of the Crone aspect that works, otherwise she doesnt fit at all.

Apparently somebody asked RJ and he didn't give a straight answer

quote:

QUESTION

Going back to mythology and the way that you reference everything from the western European triple goddess through Arthur to the oriental warrior ethos and everything in between. I was wondering if you could speak to what drew you to any of those particular aspects that you synthesized into this universe, and was this kind of synthesis something you deliberately set out to do?

ROBERT JORDAN

Yes, I found them all interesting, is what directed me to them. There are many books which are based upon one myth, or perhaps I should say one country's myths. There are many Arthurian novels, there are many novels based on one continent or another, one nation or another. A few, I don't know too many based on Chinese or Japanese mythologies, but there are some. It seemed to me within the borders of the United States, I could find representatives of almost every culture of the world, not just one or two, I could find perhaps communities, and given that, it seemed to me a truly American fantasy would be based on the myths of every possible culture that could be included, so I went gathering. As I say, I was fascinated by many of these myths beforehand, but, myths and legends, and I went hunting for what I could use.

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

Data Graham posted:

I’ll have you know that in my headcanon Rand’s dragon banner is just a drawing of Trogdor

Stealing this for my headcanon, thx

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

No, you see, Min is basically a cougar to Rand.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainsDescendant posted:

Legion ruled.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Barreft posted:

Legion ruled.

It had its warts but overall it's probably my favorite bit of "superhero media". I wish more shows just swung for the fences like it did. I also hope Rand vs. Ba'alzamon in the clouds over Falme is exactly like that David vs Farouk fight

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainsDescendant posted:

It had its warts but overall it's probably my favorite bit of "superhero media". I wish more shows just swung for the fences like it did. I also hope Rand vs. Ba'alzamon in the clouds over Falme is exactly like that David vs Farouk fight

Yeah, I want them to show flows of weaves using the colors but people are already complaining it's so colorful.

for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r5jqMfbSx8

That's pretty much how magic in WOT works. A big part was two of the strongest channelers just staring at eachother and try to fight and to everyone else they were just standing there.

e: oh this is the spoiler thread my bad

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 4, 2021

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

CainsDescendant posted:

Magic entirely aside, I think David's a great model for adapting Rand to the screen. He's a good guy! (mostly. usually. okay sometimes?) He's just had a hard life and got a lot of pressure on him and has been delusional since childhood, but look, okay, he's got a handle on things now and you want to believe him because you're his friend and he's very charming.

I was recommending it to a friend the other day, and finished with:

quote:

me: like you start see why I think of Rand when the plot of an episode is "And then David was stuck bodily in the astral plane and had to figure out what the gently caress, because no one had mentioned the astral plane to him before now."

friend: that's very rand

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Cadsuane is the crone archetype. Min, aviendha, and Elaine are modeled on the companionate / passionate/ romantic love type model. Also blonde redhead brunette you see in anime.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This looks loving astounding. Assuming they clean up some of the FX for actual premiere I don't see anything I don't like here. Even the mono-color Ajah outfits feel right. All the casting looks like they hit the right vibe for everyone, including Tam.

I can't believe this is actually happening.

RC Cola posted:

Did we discuss the episodes?

1: winternight - berelon? Lore dump, egwene learning the one power from moiraine in 1 or 2
2: shadar logoth and getting separated?. Perrin with hopper, rand, mat, thom meet doman on the boat. See tower of Genji. Rand and Mat playing for food after Thom fights the mydraal? Lan/nynaeve/moraine looking for the bois
3: Everyone who is separated getting back together in camelyn? Meeting loial. Mat is healed. Discovering that they need to use the ways as the cliffhanger
4: Traveling through the ways and the blight and fighting the forsaken at the eye of the world
5: attack on fal dara where the horn is taken. Everyone sets out
6: traveling to tar valon probably and maybe nynaeve's accepted test?
7/8: training montage, seanchan, rand meeting lanfear, 5 ride forth and 4 return. Rand declares himself dargon?

Are they doing the full season drop all at once? I would really hate to have to drib and drab this one.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My bet is they move Mat's Healing up. He's dead weight till that happens and the best character afterwards.

:hmmyes:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

I can't believe this is actually happening.

Agreed, I started reading in the 90s, really incredible.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Barreft posted:

Yeah, I want them to show flows of weaves using the colors but people are already complaining it's so colorful.

I was disappointed by the weaves not being colored, too. I wanted to see strands and weaves, not just magic smoke flowing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I don't want to see any weaves. There's a reason Jordan avoided describing them in detail - just show us the magic.