Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That bit in the current Kaiju No. 8 that has the speech bubble being cut with no 9?? :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

RatHat posted:

The Beastars Mangaka has a new series out and it’s very weird

https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/bVgxJi7/1/1/

I love it. Very Edward Gorey artstyle.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

The dude on the cover is one deep breath away from starring in a Right Said Fred music video

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

That bit in the current Kaiju No. 8 that has the speech bubble being cut with no 9?? :vince:

Giant battle axes are just the sexiest weapon anyone can wield. It's like a scientific fact.

RatHat posted:

Man, what is up with this family when the father and daughter just churn out stuff like this?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh I didn't know her father was the Grappler Baki guy. Makes sense now why her human characters look off.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I'm just going to say that I'm mystified by how One Piece can manage to stay up there at the very top: the current arc has been dragging quite a lot, and the arc before that too. I get that it's basically a money printing machine, but it's starting to get annoying.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mikl posted:

I'm just going to say that I'm mystified by how One Piece can manage to stay up there at the very top: the current arc has been dragging quite a lot, and the arc before that too. I get that it's basically a money printing machine, but it's starting to get annoying.

were in the climax of the arc, the most important arc in a long time and the culmination of the past 300 chapters, and while its gotten long it hasnt dipped in intensity

Candy Flurry's in its death throes. I will never forgive Shonen Jump.
Mashle has found its formula and I like it. Speed Disrobing to fool your enemies is great
Neru's.......weird honestly. Very 90s like people have said but weird.
Red Hood is turning around, and is hunterxhunting its way through this test.
Magu-chan is getting more sentimental. I like this development. The comfiest manga about an eldritch god.
Undead Unluck speedruns (heh) its way through a flashback. Would have hit its mark better if we spent more time with Top prior to this.
Sakamoto Days enters a new arc, with a premise straight from baki.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
drat it Candy Flurry! :negative: Stop getting better! You’re cancelled, you should be dropping the ball not spiking a homerun.
That popcorn dude just can’t catch a break

gently caress yeah Mash! Own that Chuunin exam comparison!

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 5, 2021

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darth TNT posted:

gently caress yeah Mash! Own that Chuunin exam comparison!

gently caress YOURE RIGHT

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Super hype for these insane super mass murderers in Sakamoto Days to be beaten by Taro Sakamoto and become new shop employees after seeing the light.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

gently caress YOURE RIGHT

If Mash does a reverse Lotus I will cry a manly tear.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Candy Flurry cant die after this... cmon... a lollipop Mecha...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
At least Candy Flurry is going out on a high note.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what a terrible time to get up to date on sakamoto days

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I am quite enjoying Red Hood right now, you better get back up in the ranks. Chapter 8 was in the top 10, why the drop?

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Mikl posted:

Because One Piece is good?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

whatever you say buddy

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am quite enjoying Red Hood right now, you better get back up in the ranks. Chapter 8 was in the top 10, why the drop?

It's hard to say anything for sure. Jump's rankings are determined by a lot of things, including editorial whim. We've also seen a lot of series do well for their first ranked chapters before dropping, and Red Hood had chapters 2 and 3 decline in quality.

Jump also finally had some new series catch on lately, with Samurai, Sakamoto, and Blue Box all doing very respectable rookie numbers, and the gag series managing alright. (High School Family is even getting a reprint for the latest volume). It means that there's more "well, someone has to be on the bottom" weeks, even when everyone's doing okay. (As seen with Blue Box getting a low placement last week, despite great opening sales and being popular enough for a bunch of color pages already.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The ToC isn't always the rankings either.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am quite enjoying Red Hood right now
Same, I thought it was a nice clever solution to a problem presented by this exam. Circus girl is on my watch list and I know they are hiding a babe under that one cloaked woman's garb to spike more interest.

Jerkface posted:

Candy Flurry cant die after this... cmon... a lollipop Mecha...

According to this chapter, I need to make my candy power based on taffy so I can stretch it as hard as the MC just did.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did you learn nothing from the power of Bungee Gum

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Did you learn nothing from the power of Rubber Nen
I learned that it has remained the brown note of /a/ for the past 5 years. :imunfunny:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Did you learn nothing from the power of Bungee Gum

Do not even invoke 'Oh My Rubber Nen' because that makes sense in context. I'm actually calling BS on what the MC of candy flurry just pulled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it would work better if it was pulled out during the ending and the manga was more than 20 chapters long.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Checking a manga site and seeing zettai Karen children is at 511 chapters it's very funny that I have little to no memory of it ever being discussed here. It must be so bad lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think it just kinda suffered from an inconsistent scan schedule if I remember right. I didn't keep up with it, but I don't remember it being particularly bad. That said that was years and years ago.

I think it is actually supposed to be ending soon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Do not even invoke 'Oh My Rubber Nen' because that makes sense in context. I'm actually calling BS on what the MC of candy flurry just pulled.

At this point, I'm curious if there's anything Hunter X Hunter could do that wouldn't get a "No, this is different, Hunter X Hunter is a smart manga where this makes sense, not like your inferior shonen" from loud portions of its fanbase.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jose posted:

Checking a manga site and seeing zettai Karen children is at 511 chapters it's very funny that I have little to no memory of it ever being discussed here. It must be so bad lol

The only thing notable about it is the one anime it had where, weirdly, they had the Nostalgia Critic and the Angry Video Game Nerd in a crowd scene.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it has some interesting ideas that are securely held down by the rest of the manga. it's not really worth reading imo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

At this point, I'm curious if there's anything Hunter X Hunter could do that wouldn't get a "No, this is different, Hunter X Hunter is a smart manga where this makes sense, not like your inferior shonen" from loud portions of its fanbase.

Be published on the regular?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Be published on the regular?

I said something Hunter X Hunter could do.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hunter x Hunter is pretty clever in that it just tells the reader that Nen is magic bullshit that no one really properly understands, so many authors across all genres could avoid so much grief if they did that. Plus the Hisoka thing was kinda bullshit but really, would you really have been okay with him just dying, cause the aftermath of him being hosed all the way up wouldn’t have been as funny if he just died.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
The only thing I remember about Zettai Karen Children was that the girls might cause the apocalypse so they had this big giant computer constantly predicting whether or not the girls would cause the apocalypse and it would display the percentage chance of the girls causing the apocalypse that would arbitrarily tick up or down and everybody would freak out or be relieved accordingly.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Magu chan: Image a Magu Chan that isn't sweet. This wasn't that.

Neru: Weird, is this the only manga that keeps all the honorifics in? With translations?

Roboco: I like Chizuru's mind reading gag, but I find the whole day dreaming to be bothersome.

Undead Unluck: I was looking forward to what was going to happen. Instead we got a flashback. That's weird. Top's power seems oddly defined though. He clearly can stop when he wants to, so when can't he?

Elusive Samurai: VROOM VROOM! I fonly the had Scooters in Feudal Japan.

Sakamoto: I can't wait.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brought To You By posted:

Have you seen all those things that turned out to be cake?
Its a natural progression imo. Why does candy have to look exactly the same?

Granted this would only really work with lollipops and other more malleable candy, like taffy. Poor popcorn dude is stuck where he is.

Unless he can pull of things like buttered or caramel popcorn.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Super hype for these insane super mass murderers in Sakamoto Days to be beaten by Taro Sakamoto and become new shop employees after seeing the light.

Sakamoto does what the prison industry complex doesn't.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Have you seen all those things that turned out to be cake?
Its a natural progression imo. Why does candy have to look exactly the same?

Granted this would only really work with lollipops and other more malleable candy, like taffy. Poor popcorn dude is stuck where he is.

Unless he can pull of things like buttered or caramel popcorn.

I'd say it's also somewhat foreshadowed with the whole discussion about the stick being part of the candy. I mean it's still ridiculous, but it fits just well enough to be acceptable to me.
It's really not more ridiculous than making it rain lollipops to destroy a planet.

I hope my singular comment survives far into the future. Imagine reading this without context.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
What Candy Flurry just pulled makes perfect sense.

A lollipop is made of sugar, has a stick, and you lick it.

A giant candy mecha is made of sugar, has a (control) stick, and you (can) lick it.

:colbert:

No seriously. It's no more far-fetched than lots of things other shonen manga did.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the (shonen) applications are endless.
Popcorn guy could pop the kernels under his feet to propel himself forwards or upwards so he can air walk (also the funny imagery of him flying by shooting popcorn out his soles), since kernels popping is actually due to superheated, high pressure steam he could do some heat based shenanigans.
Gum dude could become discount luffy

This series couldve gone places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Toriko kinda pulled some of that already, he had moves based on forks and knives and other characters had utensil based moves.