Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010
Public performance licenses are a thing here in Canada https://www.acf-film.com/en/faq.php . I don't know if they would sue, but they would *technically* need a license to show it a dance https://www.acf-film.com/en/faq.php#5 .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

GreenNight posted:

For real, they gonna sue a middle school?

Oh yes. Björn and Benny from ABBA have DEFINITELY sued, or at very least threatened legal action against highschool productions of Mamma Mia.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

luminalflux posted:

Oh yes. Björn and Benny from ABBA have DEFINITELY sued, or at very least threatened legal action against highschool productions of Mamma Mia.

WTF, seriously? Those dicks.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/02/06/california-school-fined-for-showing-disney-lion-king-bob-iger/4683254002/

It absolutely is a thing

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

At the height of RIAA’s shenanigans they would have people call businesses and see if they could hear unlicensed music in the background then issue a fine/c&d

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

At the height of RIAA’s shenanigans they would have people call businesses and see if they could hear unlicensed music in the background then issue a fine/c&d

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/12/732157537/spains-soccer-league-fined-for-using-app-to-spy-on-fans-in-fight-to-curb-piracy

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

A ticket came in:

I....just....

:suicide:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SyNack Sassimov posted:

A ticket came in:

I....just....

:suicide:

is your company's name in any way close to rbwvbw

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Shugojin posted:

is your company's name in any way close to rbwvbw

Brace yourself for almost-certainly shocking news:

Not in the least. It doesn't even have any Bs, Vs, or Rs in it, and it has a fair number of vowels. In fact, a similar number of vowels to the phrase "for gently caress's sake", which was really what I wanted to reply with, but luckily it's not my ticket so I'm not the one stuck with having to come up with a polite response.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Wibla posted:

WTF, seriously? Those dicks.

Theatre production licenses for highschools are $$$ for rightsholders of popular musicals/plays.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Not in the least. It doesn't even have any Bs, Vs, or Rs in it, and it has a fair number of vowels. In fact, a similar number of vowels to the phrase "for gently caress's sake", which was really what I wanted to reply with, but luckily it's not my ticket so I'm not the one stuck with having to come up with a polite response.

I want to know how they would have proceeded if you'd told them it was legit.

"Hm, I want to keepxe6qbv21 my same password"

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

I want to know how they would have proceeded if you'd told them it was legit.

"Hm, I want to keepxe6qbv21 my same password"

You mean Pawlg6t821ssword.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Biowarfare posted:

You mean Pawlg6t821ssword.

821?

821821821821!

821 821, 821 821 821, 821821, 821: 821821821 821 821, 821821, 821, and 821821.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SyNack Sassimov posted:

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This email is not legitimate. We have used this to improve our spam filters. Please let us know if you get any similar emails

Regards,
team you work on"

Feel free to use this forevermore.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Arquinsiel posted:

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention, you muppet. This email is not legitimate, you maroon. We have used this to improve our spam filters, you absolute twat. Please let us know if you get any similar emails, you incorrigible moron.

Regards,
team you work on"

Feel free to use this forevermore.

I've fixed your serious answer to be more cathartic.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

shortspecialbus posted:

I've fixed your serious answer to be more cathartic.

Yeah this is why I'm glad I'm not responding because I'd have a real tough time not writing this version.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The reason to have form responses for that sort of stuff is exactly what you're talking about. Get it ready ahead of time and then when dumb poo poo happens you sigh and reach for your katana template document.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Working in a school, looking at a class laptop with liquid damage. Clean it up and go to put it in away in the server room to fix later. Principal runs after me shouting "it's urine!"

Earlier that week, a ticket comes in. "We need Flash Player on all the iPads".

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 5, 2021

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bargearse posted:

Looks like you need to dig out that 11 years old letter from Mr. Jobs.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200430094807/https://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bargearse posted:

Good news: the answer is really easy on that one.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

nielsm posted:

Looks like you need to dig out that 11 years old letter from Mr. Jobs.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200430094807/https://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

I did tell her that iOS does not, and never has supported Flash Player, and offered to help her find an alternative. Her response, “but it worked last year! You just don’t want to help me!”

Working front line support for a MSP is its own kind of hell but at least I don’t have to deal with delusional teachers and piss-soaked laptops any more.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bargearse posted:

"You just don’t want to help me!”
that is certainly true, now

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I was just like “well not anymore I don’t”

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Bargearse posted:

I did tell her that iOS does not, and never has supported Flash Player, and offered to help her find an alternative. Her response, “but it worked last year! You just don’t want to help me!”

yaaaaay schools

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Bargearse posted:

Working front line support for a MSP is its own kind of hell but at least I don’t have to deal with delusional teachers and piss-soaked laptops any more.

Is this in relation to a Pearson Learning product? I used to do support for some of their learning suites and a handful of them did use Flash Player exclusively. And believe it or not we did, in fact, support their use on iPad... kinda. If I remember correctly there was a specific web browser that had to be installed in order for them to work. I believe it was called "Puffin" but it's been too long for me to say for sure.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Jacobus Spades posted:

Is this in relation to a Pearson Learning product? I used to do support for some of their learning suites and a handful of them did use Flash Player exclusively. And believe it or not we did, in fact, support their use on iPad... kinda. If I remember correctly there was a specific web browser that had to be installed in order for them to work. I believe it was called "Puffin" but it's been too long for me to say for sure.

I honestly don’t recall. I don’t think it was Pearson Learning, I have a feeling it might have been a Jacaranda product.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

luminalflux posted:

Theatre production licenses for highschools are $$$ for rightsholders of popular musicals/plays.

Not exactly the same but my kids production of Peter pan spent some cash on a rope/pulley system for the flying scenes, and the training that goes with it for all the volunteers. We were threatened by the coordinator that they would walk if we made fun of any of it or were sarcastic

A friend's kid had the same play in a different school. They just played high piano notes and bounced around the stage

Weedle
May 31, 2006

after the old music teacher made a bunch of changes to our performing arts center, didn't document any of it, and was later fired, it became my responsibility (equipment plugs into wall, is powered by electricity). i don't have any experience in theater tech but i do kind of know how to operate a mixing board so i guess that was good enough. every year whichever teacher is doing a musical theater performance gets some hare-brained idea about installing some kind of incredibly elaborate thing that they saw at a megachurch or whatever and they're like "can we get this for shrek the musical??" and i'm like "sure that will be approximately eighteen thousand dollars" and you would think that would be the end of it but for some reason it's always "hmm. maybe!" and then the idea sort of lingers around for a while until everyone loses interest

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Roundboy posted:

Not exactly the same but my kids production of Peter pan spent some cash on a rope/pulley system for the flying scenes, and the training that goes with it for all the volunteers. We were threatened by the coordinator that they would walk if we made fun of any of it or were sarcastic

A friend's kid had the same play in a different school. They just played high piano notes and bounced around the stage

I probably would have laughed to get them to walk and drop the idea. “Director wants a rope flying system for our HS production of Peter Pan, how do I tell them this is dumb as gently caress” is a very common theme on the theatre-sound listserv*. “Do you want to be the director who’s fly system fails, drops a kid and paralyzes them for life” is the usual wording people use

*its a great forum in that you have people from HS and community productions along with people on the level Wickeds sound designer and “guy who mixes every awards show on TV” discussing stuff very professionally

Weedle
May 31, 2006

just link them to owen hart's wikipedia article

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Do schools still do the thing where if they have rain days or whatnot they roll in the TV-on-a-cart - I guess it would be the TV-on-a-stick now? - and show some teacher's personal VHS of Disney furry Robin Hood? (I guess it would be now log into some teacher's personal Disney+ account.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

luminalflux posted:

I probably would have laughed to get them to walk and drop the idea. “Director wants a rope flying system for our HS production of Peter Pan, how do I tell them this is dumb as gently caress” is a very common theme on the theatre-sound listserv*. “Do you want to be the director who’s fly system fails, drops a kid and paralyzes them for life” is the usual wording people use

*its a great forum in that you have people from HS and community productions along with people on the level Wickeds sound designer and “guy who mixes every awards show on TV” discussing stuff very professionally
I went to a fancy pants school so at one time when a script called for a character to jump off a cliff to their death we lowered the orchestra pit/stage expansion lift down two whole floors and filled the bottom with gym mats. Obviously this was too dangerous to let actors jump off of without testing it, so us expendable stage crew idiots did it first to test.

Amazingly that particular idea injured less people than all the other set ideas for that year.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I played pit orchestra in a few high school musicals and we had to rent the sheet music. No one was allowed to take any of the books home to prevent people from loosing them and the school having to pay to replace them. Very strict rules about only adding notations and cues in pencil which we then spent a hours erasing after the run was over.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Weedle posted:

after the old music teacher made a bunch of changes to our performing arts center, didn't document any of it, and was later fired, it became my responsibility (equipment plugs into wall, is powered by electricity). i don't have any experience in theater tech but i do kind of know how to operate a mixing board so i guess that was good enough. every year whichever teacher is doing a musical theater performance gets some hare-brained idea about installing some kind of incredibly elaborate thing that they saw at a megachurch or whatever and they're like "can we get this for shrek the musical??" and i'm like "sure that will be approximately eighteen thousand dollars" and you would think that would be the end of it but for some reason it's always "hmm. maybe!" and then the idea sort of lingers around for a while until everyone loses interest
Might be a stupid question but would it be viable to hire a company in to do that sort of thing?

When I started we used to hire in a company to just put up a PA for full staff meetings (probably 400 or so people) and we went the other way of fitting a PA to the room as it was a very simple "plug mic here, plug laptop in for presentations here" type deal

But if they want the complexity, maybe bringing someone in might work, particularly if it's infrequent?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Bonzo posted:

I played pit orchestra in a few high school musicals and we had to rent the sheet music. No one was allowed to take any of the books home to prevent people from loosing them and the school having to pay to replace them. Very strict rules about only adding notations and cues in pencil which we then spent a hours erasing after the run was over.

jfc that sounds like rear end. I've worked on a production as a sound designer / mixer where I was not allowed to copy the script or bring it home with me, but I was allowed to mark it up with sharpie at least. This was due to fear of being sued as the rightsholders to "Fiddler on the Roof" had blocked the production of "Shoggoth on the Roof" in the US, but Swedish parody law was perceived to offer better protection from Zero Mostel's estate, but the production didn't want to risk anything until it premiered.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Man, we normally have very, very few on-call incidents but this weekend has been a poo poo show.

Saturday morning a flash module in one of our Pure arrays failed. I got the replacement delivered within the 4 hour SLA and swapped it out.

Yesterday, our EDW database got corrupted somehow; thankfully our backup strategy is solid and the DBA was able to recover it.

And then this morning at 1AM I got a “wake your rear end up” automatic page for a critical SQL server data disk filling up; threw another 75gb at it and went back to sleep.

Stupid Labor Day, I’m glad I’m taking tomorrow off too.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

yaaaaay schools

It was a great job 99% of the time, but the office politics can turn against you at any time for pretty much any reason, and it can get stressful waiting for the sword of Damocles to fall.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

angry armadillo posted:

Might be a stupid question but would it be viable to hire a company in to do that sort of thing?

probably, but around here the philosophy is "why pay extra to do it right when someone we already employ can do it not very well but good enough"

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

luminalflux posted:

This is apparent a company that specializes in showing up to your school play, rigging a pulley system, trains the people/kids , supervises, then peaces out at the end.

Obvs the dad's that lifted a weigh or two in their life were anchors, and stay at home moms were set up like boat oar teams to hoist in tandem. For about 2 min a play. Unless you were on peter duty. In which case it was 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Hallway conversation:
"When you have a moment, can you help me get a wireless thumbdrive working?"
"A - what?"
"I know we're not supposed to plug in thumbdrives, but I got this wireless thumbdrive so I don't have to plug it in so I can take work home."

It was the receiver for a Logitech wireless mouse or something. But hey, it was thumbdrive shaped and had "WIRELESS" printed on it...