Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Jaxyon posted:

I don't think this pattern remotely applies, they're all maiden at best, maybe a bit of mother too.

It's way more of a harem anime, complete with Aviendha as the tsundere

I knew dropping that in would generate some posts! min's on drat birth control (well, maybe)

these people are still just finger puppets of the invisible hand of the pattern. perrin and mat were born to help rand win Ninja Gaiden just as much as the Goils, but he doesn't kiss them and share his bed with them, AFAWK

Brolander fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mat Cauthon posted:

Are they doing the full season drop all at once? I would really hate to have to drib and drab this one.

The first three episodes will drop on November 19th, then weekly until December 24th.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I hope they make the whole series, or at least until TGS, because I want to see WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HIM?!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If they do flashbacks to the Age of Legends it would be kind of funny if they had a title card that read something like, "Many years from now..." to really gently caress with audiences.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUQE0-G_GeU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Overacted to gently caress, but Zane certainly looks the part.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm so glad Amazon's (mostly) releasing this as a week by week thing. That format works so well for the MCU/Mandalorian shows and makes them much more culturally prominent. This gives the series such a better chance of landing with non-book nerds

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I like being able to binge poo poo ala Netflix, but there is also something about a "weekly episode discussion" kinda thing for an especially good show.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

elan: looking great
lews: looking like a doctor who

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

I have no idea what the difference between ya fiction and giant fantasy series is, can you elaborate?

From what I've seen, the difference is in YA more people are brutally murdered

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

jetz0r posted:

I was disappointed by the weaves not being colored, too. I wanted to see strands and weaves, not just magic smoke flowing around.

Same. Like, show the smoke a little but also show small threads of color flowing within it as well and for the weaves we know, only have particular colors for the elements it contains. I never had the impression the One Power was coming from everywhere around them but was coming from within them or like an aura around them.

I’ll get over it and enjoy it still but this was probably going to be the most difficult part of the books to represent since it was somewhat vague at times and really left a lot to the individual’s imagination.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

latinotwink1997 posted:

Same. Like, show the smoke a little but also show small threads of color flowing within it as well and for the weaves we know, only have particular colors for the elements it contains. I never had the impression the One Power was coming from everywhere around them but was coming from within them or like an aura around them.

I’ll get over it and enjoy it still but this was probably going to be the most difficult part of the books to represent since it was somewhat vague at times and really left a lot to the individual’s imagination.

I kinda secretly hope they do something like slowly add color to the weaves as the protagonist learn more about how to control the one power. Maybe something similar to how the girls couldn't see the glow/weaves of channelers when they first started learning to control the power. Would be pretty neat to see the weaves get more complex then coalesce into some beautiful masterpieces like Nynaeve's way of healing with the 5 powers or Egwene's Flame of Tar Valon.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Langolas posted:

I kinda secretly hope they do something like slowly add color to the weaves as the protagonist learn more about how to control the one power. Maybe something similar to how the girls couldn't see the glow/weaves of channelers when they first started learning to control the power. Would be pretty neat to see the weaves get more complex then coalesce into some beautiful masterpieces like Nynaeve's way of healing with the 5 powers or Egwene's Flame of Tar Valon.

I would guess that it's a little of column A and a little of column B.

The few times we see things channeled in the teaser it's mostly air. Moiraine and the green use air on the trollocs and the arrows, respectively. Whoever the Aes Sedai is healing Moiraine might be using something mostly spirit. We haven't seen Moiraine work earth and fire to cause an earthquake or anything like that yet.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
They probably won't color the weaves because it would be confusing for new viewers coupled with the ajah coloring. "Why is this lady in the blue dress using green and red colors? Why isn't there a brown and gray magic if there's brown and gray magic ladies? What about white, does that mean they are the ones who use all of the colors?"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There could super easily be a training montage for exposition with channeling air (white), earth (green/brown), fire (red) etc. etc.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Goo, planet!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sab669 posted:

There could super easily be a training montage for exposition with channeling air (white), earth (green/brown), fire (red) etc. etc.

Long ago, the nations of Randland lived in harmony…

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think they need to do colors in weaving, but they do need to have a visual shorthand to show the difference between something simple like a bond of air vs something incredibly complicated like Nynaeve's healing or any of the other workings of the power that are a shock to contemporary Aes Sedai.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Slowly increasing the visual complexity of the weaves would be a great way to hint at Nyneave doing Healing completely differently than everyone else.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Mat Cauthon posted:

Are they doing the full season drop all at once? I would really hate to have to drib and drab this one.

i win again lews therin

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Jaxyon posted:

Single Parents, a fairly pedestrian/vanilla sitcom where half the cast were children had one too.

Rand isn't even a very good example, because it's agreed upon by all the members until very much later.

It's mostly a guy sleeping around and coercing the women into the situation. So I guess accurate to the more toxic examples of polyamory you see.

Did Rand really coerce them into it? I never got that when reading it. The Pattern certainly forced it, but he seemed like any other horny teenager who was confused as gently caress.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I stand by my earlier thought that they need to get Zane back for one of the Forsaken.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i don't think there's any parts where rand is being skeevy and coercing the three into anything. i think some of the poo poo in the books is a little eye-rolly but generally rand is just clueless as gently caress and halfway insane for most of it and the women mostly just get drawn to him for their own reasons. there's still like the whole pattern thing and him being a Very Important Person and all that, but, whatever.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The first time Rand and Min hook up he gives himself a complex thinking he forced himself on her and she has to expressly lay it out to him that she was in to it and it wouldn't have happened without her consent.

Another reason Min is the best.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

seaborgium posted:

Did Rand really coerce them into it? I never got that when reading it. The Pattern certainly forced it, but he seemed like any other horny teenager who was confused as gently caress.

I stand by my earlier thought that they need to get Zane back for one of the Forsaken.

Yeah it's definitely not at all coercing, and Jordan made it pretty clear that forcing ones will on someone is Bad.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

silvergoose posted:

Yeah it's definitely not at all coercing

I mean the ladies were basically forced to love him by the Pattern

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

seaborgium posted:

Yeah, he really, really looked the part. I'm guessing Ishamael is done already, but maybe a Demandred or even an Asmodean.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rarity posted:

I mean the ladies were basically forced to love him by the Pattern

Literally everything is woven into the pattern, so I guess every single person who ever falls in love is being coerced in the exact same way.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
If predestination is true, then is all sex rape?

:thunk:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

William Bear posted:

Ask the white ajah

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
IVE NEVER HAD AN ORGASM THAT I WASNT DESTINED TO HAVE!

e: I just realized that both this show and Netflix Cowboy Bebop both come out on November 19th. Senior in high school me is going bananas right now.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 6, 2021

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

William Bear posted:

“The Pattern made me do it!” -David Hanlon

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They probably won't color the weaves because it would be confusing for new viewers coupled with the ajah coloring. "Why is this lady in the blue dress using green and red colors? Why isn't there a brown and gray magic if there's brown and gray magic ladies? What about white, does that mean they are the ones who use all of the colors?"

I think they'll introduce the visual weaves later as characters learn more channeling.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's what I'd hope they do. There's a lot of scenes involving really detailed exotic weaves (Healing Logain, curing madness, unravelling Graendal's compulsion, using the bowl of the winds, cleansing the fuckin source , etc) that wouldn't hold quite the same impact if they were depicted the way some of the scenes in the trailer are.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

it might just be me, but the slomo shot of Moiraine casting something she just looks completely baffled and gormless

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

silvergoose posted:

I have no idea what the difference between ya fiction and giant fantasy series is, can you elaborate?

Interesting question, esp since they usually star kids in the outset

I'd say the amount of lore but most importantly, shifts in perspective. YA runs on protagonist identification, and breaking the ficus of the usually purpiseful bkand central character destroys that illusion

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Interesting question, esp since they usually star kids in the outset

I'd say the amount of lore but most importantly, shifts in perspective. YA runs on protagonist identification, and breaking the ficus of the usually purpiseful bkand central character destroys that illusion

Interesting. Does YA tend towards first person perspectives, few if any different POV switches, that sort of thing? Thanks for answering!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
it's a "coming of age*" story

*4th

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
It just hit me why they're not doing the prologue in the show.

Television being a visual medium, they're not going to have Lews Therin be just a voice in Rand's head. They'll have him be a guy only Rand can see, so that the actor can properly emote.

Because of that, having the Dragonmount flashback be too early will give away the reveal that it's Lews the second he shows up appearing to Rand. So they'll save the flashback for after (or at the same time as) Rand learns who the voice in his head is.

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKNOy0FV6IM

Idk how much legitimacy this channel has regarding leak accuracy, but here's some interesting news regarding Lews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

William Bear posted:

It just hit me why they're not doing the prologue in the show.

Television being a visual medium, they're not going to have Lews Therin be just a voice in Rand's head. They'll have him be a guy only Rand can see, so that the actor can properly emote.

Because of that, having the Dragonmount flashback be too early will give away the reveal that it's Lews the second he shows up appearing to Rand. So they'll save the flashback for after (or at the same time as) Rand learns who the voice in his head is.

I win again, Gaius Baltar