Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

nine-gear crow posted:

JJ. Rian actually wrote and filmed a more definitive death for Phasma in TLJ (and a much better scene over all for her) and then reworked it to be more ambiguous thinking JJ was gonna bring her back for a role in Episode IX only for Abrams to turn around and go "Gwendoline... who?"

The deleted scene in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzeIb-TZo_I

drat, that rules. Shame JJ was determined to do absolutely nothing good with Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

nine-gear crow posted:

JJ. Rian actually wrote and filmed a more definitive death for Phasma in TLJ (and a much better scene over all for her) and then reworked it to be more ambiguous thinking JJ was gonna bring her back for a role in Episode IX only for Abrams to turn around and go "Gwendoline... who?"

gently caress, that's much better. Really would have shored up Finn's character development as well.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Did that get cut before or after Trevorrow got the boot? It definitely sets up the arc that is outlined for Finn in his script for the final sequel movie.

What a waste of talented actors, smh.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

Did that get cut before or after Trevorrow got the boot? It definitely sets up the arc that is outlined for Finn in his script for the final sequel movie.

What a waste of talented actors, smh.

I want to say "after", maybe? Trevorrow getting bounced from Episode IX didn't just derail that film, it also hosed up The Last Jedi in a lot of ways too because Johnson had to suddenly shift from including things that tied into and set up Duel of the Fates to altering things in late production to try and line up with whatever nascent plans Abrams had for what became The Rise of Skywalker... which turned out to be no plans at all.

Ya know, part of me is kinda sad that D&D's poorly thought out failson Star Wars movie(s) never got made because I can't think of a better torment for them than to have to face a roiling horde of Star Wars Fans, the worst people in the known universe.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

nine-gear crow posted:

I want to say "after", maybe? Trevorrow getting bounced from Episode IX didn't just derail that film, it also hosed up The Last Jedi in a lot of ways too because Johnson had to suddenly shift from including things that tied into and set up Duel of the Fates to altering things in late production to try and line up with whatever nascent plans Abrams had for what became The Rise of Skywalker... which turned out to be no plans at all.

Ya know, part of me is kinda sad that D&D's poorly thought out failson Star Wars movie(s) never got made because I can't think of a better torment for them than to have to face a roiling horde of Star Wars Fans, the worst people in the known universe.

Yeah the problem is whatever insanely stupid half-rear end thing D&D the Star Wars fans would probably have randomly loved. I can just see hordes of neckbeard manchildren holding plastic flashlights screaming about how awesome the octopus alien sith using 8 lightsabers was or whatever

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah the problem is whatever insanely stupid half-rear end thing D&D the Star Wars fans would probably have randomly loved. I can just see hordes of neckbeard manchildren holding plastic flashlights screaming about how awesome the octopus alien sith using 8 lightsabers was or whatever

Just as long as there are no women and people of colour in it. Which, hey D&D are low-key racist anyway so it wouldn't have been a problem :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's exceptionally fitting that character was played up as "Bobba Fett but better" considering that, like Bobba Fett, they ended being a complete chump.

It sucks they wasted a good actress but that character's end was about what I'd expected as soon as they started getting hyped up so much.

nine-gear crow posted:

Just as long as there are no women and people of colour in it. Which, hey D&D are low-key racist anyway so it wouldn't have been a problem :v:

Episode IX opens with Finn falling into an open reactor core, grabbing Rose to try and save himself but dooming her as well. D&D nod to each other then put out some statement about how Star Wars needed to be more dark and gritty and 'real'.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

pseudanonymous posted:

It would be awesome though, and better than what we deserve and what we will get.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

CainsDescendant posted:

If that's not what happened then it loving should be

Did we get any explanation of the Other's origin story in the show? I feel like there was some hints about why Bran had to come North, instead of raven coming south. I mean it would definitely be a crowning "game of thrones" moment if raven engineered the Other's invasion in the first place.

Did the winter end when NK was ganked?

I honestly couldn't watch it after the "Long Night" episode. I missed the next one, someone spoiled that Arya killed the night king, and I guess I couldn't deal with the show any more.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well we saw the Children of the Forest create an other by stabbing a man in the heart with an Obsidian blade I think, but other than that none of that was explained.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

Some dudes tried to burst out clapping when they gave Chewbacca a medal during that last Star Wars movie and fell off into the saddest half-claps when they realized no one else in the theater thought it was clever or well-timed.

Kuiperdolin posted:

It would be awesome though, and better than what we deserve and what we will get.
Yeah case-in-point.

PittTheElder posted:

Well we saw the Children of the Forest create an other by stabbing a man in the heart with an Obsidian blade I think, but other than that none of that was explained.
I completely forgot that, and that's the dumbest explanation they could have gone with. Wtf makes Obsidian an ice vampire/zombie lord creator?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A wizard did it

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

A wizard did it

Right? It's disheartening how often people need to be reminded.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TERFherder posted:

Did we get any explanation of the Other's origin story in the show? I feel like there was some hints about why Bran had to come North, instead of raven coming south. I mean it would definitely be a crowning "game of thrones" moment if raven engineered the Other's invasion in the first place.

Bloodraven is literally part of a weirwood tree which probably really limits his mobility. He's stuck here he is, the roots are integrated into his body at this point, I believe.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Re, Watchmen and good 'ol Jay Jay:

The comic is quite clear on what it thinks of the costumed vigilantes:

I don't recall the movie version being nearly as clear, nor do I think it covered some of the other themes as well (though tbf I did only watch it once).

Watchmen (comic) is far more critical of its protagonists and does a better job depicting the swathes of humanity than I think Game of Thrones does (either of them), where 'nuanced' people sort of get left behind and the story tends to mostly be a series of betrayals, brutal realpolitik, and justice only through murder.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Make movies based off of the Galaxy of Fear books, cowards.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Rereading the first book. It's amazing how close the show's first season followed the first book, aside from some scenes cut for budget reasons.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

snyder’s a hack because he didn’t use the mirrored color schemes form the comic

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Re, Watchmen and good 'ol Jay Jay:

The comic is quite clear on what it thinks of the costumed vigilantes:

I don't recall the movie version being nearly as clear, nor do I think it covered some of the other themes as well (though tbf I did only watch it once).

Watchmen (comic) is far more critical of its protagonists and does a better job depicting the swathes of humanity than I think Game of Thrones does (either of them), where 'nuanced' people sort of get left behind and the story tends to mostly be a series of betrayals, brutal realpolitik, and justice only through murder.

At the same time, Rorschach's backstory and time with the psychiatrist says a lot and makes him, IMO, the most compelling character besides Dr. Manhattan.

I know I was in a very similar headspace as the therapist after we heard his, Rorschach's, story. Just like...what does it all mean, what is it all for.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

We got our first round of set photos released from House of the Dragon, the first spinoff from Game of Thrones that HBO will be producing and releasing which will dramatize "The Dance of the Dragons" and its buildup.

https://wikiofthrones.com/33609/graham-mctavish-and-olivia-cooke-spotted-in-full-costume-on-house-of-the-dragon-set/

Kind of intriguing - no clue who Graham McTavish is meant to be playing - there isn't really a clear or obvious answer to that question. Cool armor, though.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

kaworu posted:

We got our first round of set photos released from House of the Dragon, the first spinoff from Game of Thrones that HBO will be producing and releasing which will dramatize "The Dance of the Dragons" and its buildup.

https://wikiofthrones.com/33609/graham-mctavish-and-olivia-cooke-spotted-in-full-costume-on-house-of-the-dragon-set/

Kind of intriguing - no clue who Graham McTavish is meant to be playing - there isn't really a clear or obvious answer to that question. Cool armor, though.

He's got a white cloak so definitely a Kings Guard

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

loving love the Spirit Halloween cart filled with fake dirt and bones.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

kaworu posted:

quote:

It’s time to get on the hype train!

CRINGE

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Mad Hamish posted:

Bloodraven is literally part of a weirwood tree which probably really limits his mobility. He's stuck here he is, the roots are integrated into his body at this point, I believe.

There are other wargs north of the wall he could have made use of other than Bran though. I guess I'm looking for some hint that he couldn't pass through the wall. That the old magic kept him from passing ( like coldhands ).That would justify him starting the war with the Others to destroy the wall.

Were the others trying to kill him when they attacked the tree? Or were they going after Bran?

Did we ever figure out what was up with coldhands? Was he just the Brandon wight that Raven took over and controlled? Maybe raven can only take over people named "Bran*"?

edit: I'm not sure I ever saw HOW Bran got south of the wall.

TERFherder fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 7, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Just watched The Netflix Witcher to scratch and itch and... it sucks, right? Besides Henry Cavill being the image of Geralt and Jaskier being fun, the show was a disjointed mess. I remember when it came out, nerds were bombing any review site that was even mildly critical of it, so I assumed that while it probably wasn't great, it couldn't have been as poorly written as it is. I admit I had fun when Geralt got to fight monsters and hang with Jaskier, but I can't believe that someone thought that bouncing back and forth between what felt like eight different pins on a timeline was a remotely good idea.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 7, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean it was designed to be a throwback to Xena/Hercules-style monster of the week starring Himbo Supreme Cavill for jerkoff material. Doesn't really seem like there was much to get.

Honestly I hope the new series is more lurid in that vein. Really go for the cheap seats with the schlock. No pretensions about saying something deep and meaningful about rich and complex characters. No whorehouses though. There should be a moratorium on those in the franchise.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I mean it was designed to be a throwback to Xena/Hercules-style monster of the week starring Himbo Supreme Cavill for jerkoff material.

That's what I was hoping for. Maybe give us a season of Geralt fighting monsters with some of the over-arching plot stuff sprinkled here and there, but it went way too wild with the time skips.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Just watched The Netflix Witcher to scratch and itch and... it sucks, right? Besides Henry Cavill being the image of Geralt and Jaskier being fun, the show was a disjointed mess. I remember when it came out, nerds were bombing any review site that was even mildly critical of it, so I assumed that while it probably wasn't great, it couldn't have been as poorly written as it is. I admit I had fun when Geralt got to fight monsters and hang with Jaskier, but I can't believe that someone thought that bouncing back and forth between what felt like eight different pins on a timeline was a remotely good idea.

There are signs of too many cooks all over the Witchers episodes. The easiest example is Yennifer's character arc, which is totally bungled. There's a theme that is clearly foreshadowed many times but then in places where it should be reinforced, it isn't. I don't know if it was a showrunner not knowing how to control the writer's room or some execs meddling. The bones of a good story are there.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Pennsylvanian posted:

The anime feature they just released is really well done. The nightmare of the wolf.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pennsylvanian posted:

That's what I was hoping for. Maybe give us a season of Geralt fighting monsters with some of the over-arching plot stuff sprinkled here and there, but it went way too wild with the time skips.

It takes a couple of repeat viewings to figure out the timelines but once you figure it out it's actually one of the most clever elements of the show. Yen's timeline starts first and is about 100 years before Geralt's, and it runs until it it slams into Geralt's timeline so then you have the two of them moving forward together, and Geralt's timeline is like 20-30 years before Ciri's timeline which is the "present day" of the show, and by the end of the first season Yennifer and Geralt's timelines have slammed into Ciri's in the present day and from Season 2 onward they'll all be moving forward together.

But yes, the show is supposed to be a hokey modern day Xena: Warrior Princess except they say gently caress a lot in it. The people who got really mad about it were the ones who were wrongly expecting it to be a replacement for Game of Thrones when the source material for both the books and the games is equally loving corny (and knowingly so) or the real groady assholes who were mad that Triss and Fringilla were played by people of colour on the show. So... ya know.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I didn't have a problem with the timeline in the Witcher. Lightly paraphrasing, in the first episode someone says "The Battle of X was 100 years ago!" In episode two they say "Boy am I sure glad the Battle of X wrapped up last week!" In episode four two adult characters from episode three are named and shown as children.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Poldarn posted:

I didn't have a problem with the timeline in the Witcher. Lightly paraphrasing, in the first episode someone says "The Battle of X was 100 years ago!" In episode two they say "Boy am I sure glad the Battle of X wrapped up last week!" In episode four two adult characters from episode three are named and shown as children.

Actually I think that last one is inverted. You see (one of) the characters as an adult in like episode 3 in Geralt's timeline with the specter of the dead sister being a big part of that storyline, and then in the next episode you see both siblings as kids in Yen's timeline and you go "Oooooh."

I can't read.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I found the witcher timelines pretty easy to follow without knowing the source material. But they probably wouldn't have lost much by adding "x years ago" title cards to help the people watching while playing phone games. I guess I knew ahead of time that some of the characters had very long lifespans, so maybe that helped.

I did like the non linear storytelling, GoT could arguably benefit from a bit more of that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pidan posted:

I found the witcher timelines pretty easy to follow without knowing the source material. But they probably wouldn't have lost much by adding "x years ago" title cards to help the people watching while playing phone games. I guess I knew ahead of time that some of the characters had very long lifespans, so maybe that helped.

I did like the non linear storytelling, GoT could arguably benefit from a bit more of that.

Also Jaskier kind of throws off the perception of time in the show a bit by hanging around Geralt on and off for like 30 years and also always looking the same as him and Yennifer who are effectively biologically immortal while he's just a normal everyday dude and other people around him are clearly show aging as the show goes on. And when he shows up in the present he's not going to look one bit older either, based on the promo shots from Season 2 I've seen.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wait, he's called Jaskier in the show? That's some real weeaboo style poo poo lol

Dandelion conveys exactly what the original name did, you don't have to pretend like you can't translate that to English lmao

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Pennsylvanian posted:

I suspect that only folks that played the game would have a clue what was going on.

But yeah, it was indeed a mess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Jaskier the Mighty.

The Witcher TV show was fine. Realizing the timeline stuff helps make stuff make a lot more sense and it's pretty confusing before then.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The earliest audiobooks pronounced it Dan-del-iiyon, which was sadly fixed.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Evil Fluffy posted:

Jaskier the Mighty.

The Witcher TV show was fine. Realizing the timeline stuff helps make stuff make a lot more sense and it's pretty confusing before then.

Yeah I thought it was pretty good for what it was. I'd played about 2 hours of the Witcher 3 before watching the show and teasing out the timelines was probably my favorite part of it. You get a strong hint in the first episode that things aren't all happening concurrently, then you get more and more as things progress and it's satisfying once everything clicks into place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
I went into Witcher blind and found the timeline jumping really jarring. I didn't know Witchers don't age, so I went it literally nothing. I spent too much time going "wait when is this?" Like I got it during the engagement party, but I think they should have either made it a reveal or put little date stamps. I was just eeeeh about the show until I rewatched it after playing witcher 3 last year. Then I rather enjoyed it, before I wasn't distracted trying to figure out when stuff way.

Also, Jaskier's name should be Buttercup. :P
Dandelion is all well in good, but I would have loved that little manslut to be named Buttercup. IMO that is a much more perfect name for him.