Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mr. Pizza posted:

plz, whatever you do, stop posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

T-Paine posted:

yeah the pandemic (and climate change) revealing that we as a society don't care at all about the wellbeing of our children has been the most startling aspect of it

Remember that for most of human history, parents cranked out children to act as free labor on their farms and child abuse and "child care" were virtually synonymous.

Nothing has changed.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Thinking about Trump and his COVID.

that was an incredible day

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

let's go back to work
let's keep working
keep working
KEEP loving GOING TO YOUR JOB
keep going to your job that you hate
keep making money for us
KEEP.
GOING.
TO.
WORK.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Is today going to be a good day for COVID?

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

In this house we
GET the vaccine
TRUST the science
APPLAUD our health care workers
EAT at applebees
GO to loving work
IGNORE fully vaxxed deaths
WANT our kids to die

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
Found out a family friend died over the weekend. He'd been fighting cancer for 10 years and died waiting for an ER room over the weekend. Would probably have been ok if he'd been able to get a room. Just another excess death.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

whiskey patrol posted:

Found out a family friend died over the weekend. He'd been fighting cancer for 10 years and died waiting for an ER room over the weekend. Would probably have been ok if he'd been able to get a room. Just another excess death.

he should've gotten vaccinated

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

bowser posted:

let's go back to work
let's keep working
keep working
KEEP loving GOING TO YOUR JOB
keep going to your job that you hate
keep making money for us
KEEP.
GOING.
TO.
WORK.

https://twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1434984753439068166

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Time for the new roundup!

Mu COVID Variant That May Resist Vaccines Found in 49 U.S. States - Newsweek - 9/6
How many COVID 19 Deaths is too many? The US Needs to Decide (original headline) - Vox - 9/7
More U.S. first responders are dying of COVID-19 - PBS - 9/6
Florida Has the Highest COVID Death Rate in the U.S. - Newsweek - 9/6

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Morning Friends! Everything is fine.

Texas
https://news.yahoo.com/hospitals-ar...K9u0bXyPz2njC-Y
Alabama
https://www.fox26houston.com/news/a..._source=twitter
Ohio https://www.thedailybeast.com/ohio-judge-reverses-order-requiring-ivermectin-for-coronavirus-patient-on-ventilator?via=twitter_page
Tennessee
https://www.newschannel5.com/news/tennessee-sets-record-for-covid-hospitalizations-for-7th-straight-day
Iowa
https://todayheadline.co/er-doc-warns-patients-not-enough-icu-beds-due-to-covid-surge-business-insider/
Oregon and Idaho
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/06/us/oregon-idaho-icu-beds.html

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I do not want to work today

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

Is today going to be a good day for COVID?

I'm guessing it'll take a few days to catch up on the backlog so COVID will be declared over today and then to the surprise of everyone will make a comeback by Friday.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Oh my god covid is about to be OVER today in particular

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

My wife and I are supposed to fly to a wedding (with a huge bar crawl) the first weekend of October

There has been no amount of pleading or begging or showing covid outcomes that will change her mind about our going to this

:rip: me

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Please keep doing these, they’re really good

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

AceOfFlames posted:

You know what the worst thing is?

I just got a call from my parents asking if I am looking into buying a house. As if there will be a future in the next 10 years. And every time I try to even hint at that, my parents just keep going on and on about how I need to be more positive and optimistic. I can't be optimistic BECAUSE THERE IS NO CAUSE FOR IT.

See, this is the sort of thing that hurts the most. If it was just an apocalypse we could all SHARE I would feel better. If we were ALL fighting against something. Instead, it's the drat disconnect that gets me. Everyone around me is living in one world and I am living in another. I don't have the mental strength to believe that I am more right than everyone else. Hell, I tend to begin from the position that other people are more right than me on most issues. I am basically Tommen Baratheon. "I am a reasonable man. I listen to counsel. Other people know more than me so I defer to them. Ego, "confidence", are all evil things that lead to Trump and climate denial". But I just can't accept when people believe things that aren't true.

Maybe I am just too rational. I don't understand why people fight for lost causes. I don't understand why "being alive is better than not being alive" is such a sacred axiom. I don't understand how people can literally apparently shut their brain off and run on what are essentially mental protection routines, all just to live their pathetic existence for another day. I don't get revenge. I don't get anger. I just don't get it.

I guess I just want someone else to be sad with.

what are you on about

unless you’re convinced ur gonna die immediately and want to blow all ur cash like ur queen latifa in last holiday u should treat ur money like ur gonna be around for a while in case u are

getting a house sucks rear end but blowing all ur cash on rent and owning nothing sucks worse

this is apart from being sad about the world

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Zurtilik posted:

How many COVID 19 Deaths is too many? The US Needs to Decide (original headline) - Vox - 9/7

and what happens when we get to "too many" covid deaths? do we give the virus a stern talking-to or what?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Foo Diddley posted:

and what happens when we get to "too many" covid deaths? do we give the virus a stern talking-to or what?

when there’s too many deaths joe biden tweets “Get the vaccine, Jack”

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

US parents at their kids like this.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm still cleaning and I have to leave to go get spouse in like, four hours, and I'm so tired.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

US parents at their kids like this.

I'm still cleaning and I have to leave to go get spouse in like, four hours, and I'm so tired.

He isn’t going to give a gently caress how clean the house is.
He’ll only be interested in you
Enjoy your reunion

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

I'm guessing it'll take a few days to catch up on the backlog so COVID will be declared over today and then to the surprise of everyone will make a comeback by Friday.

:lol:

Yeah, the news this morning was already reporting that Ohio is "on the right track" because 1600 fewer cases than Sunday were reported yesterday.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

AceOfFlames posted:

I just got a call from my parents asking if I am looking into buying a house. As if there will be a future in the next 10 years. And every time I try to even hint at that, my parents just keep going on and on about how I need to be more positive and optimistic. I can't be optimistic BECAUSE THERE IS NO CAUSE FOR IT.

See, this is the sort of thing that hurts the most. If it was just an apocalypse we could all SHARE I would feel better. If we were ALL fighting against something. Instead, it's the drat disconnect that gets me. Everyone around me is living in one world and I am living in another. I don't have the mental strength to believe that I am more right than everyone else. Hell, I tend to begin from the position that other people are more right than me on most issues. I am basically Tommen Baratheon. "I am a reasonable man. I listen to counsel. Other people know more than me so I defer to them. Ego, "confidence", are all evil things that lead to Trump and climate denial". But I just can't accept when people believe things that aren't true.

Maybe I am just too rational. I don't understand why people fight for lost causes. I don't understand why "being alive is better than not being alive" is such a sacred axiom. I don't understand how people can literally apparently shut their brain off and run on what are essentially mental protection routines, all just to live their pathetic existence for another day. I don't get revenge. I don't get anger. I just don't get it.

the official thread stance is that being alive is better than not being alive

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

crack ping and lol, lmao with the rest of us

get a cat and have fun snuggling and watching it run around like a dumbass. buy a lovely guitar or set of paints and spend your free time on a new hobby while the world burns. learn to cook while there's still global supply chains that facilitate ingredients beyond subsistence. plenty of things to do to keep yourself occupied until the world dies!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

we keep getting reinfected

The only vaccine is the ignore list but he keeps breaking through when people quote him

Iron Crowned posted:

My kid gets today off from school as a holiday but I don't. Very annoying

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Today was the day COVID was finally over
/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

my bony fealty posted:

crack ping and lol, lmao with the rest of us

get a cat and have fun snuggling and watching it run around like a dumbass. buy a lovely guitar or set of paints and spend your free time on a new hobby while the world burns. learn to cook while there's still global supply chains that facilitate ingredients beyond subsistence. plenty of things to do to keep yourself occupied until the world dies!

AOF is impervious to advise, be prepared for replies like:

"I learned a guitar chord. Now what? Do I learn another one, and another one until the end of time? What's the point" :qq:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pepperoneedy posted:

My wife and I are supposed to fly to a wedding (with a huge bar crawl) the first weekend of October

There has been no amount of pleading or begging or showing covid outcomes that will change her mind about our going to this

:rip: me

welcome to the spreadsheet. don’t be shy, come on in, the water’s fine

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

"I learned a guitar chord. Now what? Do I learn another one, and another one until the end of time? What's the point" :qq:

OK, that made me laugh. Thanks.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
I love that HAARP weather dominator conspiracies stll exist because the university in Fairbanks runs it now for their auroral observatory and you can just go there now and take a tour.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

following up on this post from September 3rd: the father of the bride came down with a fever and tested positive for COVID, so now my sister and her husband are isolating. Their first test was negative, but they're not yet five days out from the exposure (i.e. the wedding itself and the reception) so they said they're going to get tested again later. My sister was vaxxed with Pfizer in April, and my brother-in-law got J&J.

I'm finding it very hard to empathize. They went to a wedding. What did they expect would happen? Maybe they'll dodge it if they already tested negative once.

One of my best friends moved 8 hours drive away to a place without airports a few years ago. Haven't seen him since, but he announced he's gonna travel with the family back to Chicago in late October and host a big house party. This is going to be the time of highest spread of the year going off last year's data.

Everyone who goes will be vaccinated, none will be masking. I'm probably going to go because I don't see much point in holding out anymore, and I'll just rely on my third dose to act as a mask.

This will be a month after a similar party , but that's with a bunch of friends who are shut ins that haven't gone out to a bar or restaurant since 2019 so their chance of spread is nil

There's a good chance I get it and give it to my kid. But he already has a good chance of getting it at school when he takes snack breaks that the teacher gives him to snap him out of emotional issues

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 7, 2021

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I can fix them

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

just wanted to say again that cross stitching (and other fiber arts) is a great Covid activity. keeps your brain busy enough to keep your thoughts from wondering and your fingers too busy to doomscroll. for a social aspect there are a bunch of stitch-a-longs where they release a new part of a pattern on a schedule and people all stitch it together, everything from Pokémon to penises, people sometimes organize zoom hangouts where people work on their stuff while bullshiting together.

just finished this myself. been working on it since March since having a baby tends to give me less time to do things.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Steve Yun posted:

Today was the day COVID was finally over
/

miss her posts so drat much :(

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Stereotype posted:

I didn't sign off on this

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

just wanted to say again that cross stitching (and other fiber arts) is a great Covid activity. keeps your brain busy enough to keep your thoughts from wondering and your fingers too busy to doomscroll. for a social aspect there are a bunch of stitch-a-longs where they release a new part of a pattern on a schedule and people all stitch it together, everything from Pokémon to penises, people sometimes organize zoom hangouts where people work on their stuff while bullshiting together.

just finished this myself. been working on it since March since having a baby tends to give me less time to do things.

hey that kicks rear end

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shifty Pony posted:

this is really good wow

also congratulations on the little one

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Shifty Pony posted:

fingers too busy to doomscroll.
What in the world?!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Stereotype posted:

idk, i spent something like 13.7 billion years dead and it was pretty good

then i had to gently caress it all up by being born. man, what a bad fuckin' move that was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the world does have a tendency to not actually end when people alive at the time would think it is. I do try and keep some perspective that if twitter was around during WWII when 75 million people died in a decade and nukes became a thing poo poo would have seemed far more dire than it is now.

the most likely actual result of climate change is that billions die over the course of many decades from water wars, famines, diseases, all without actually collapsing all of civilization. There will be migrant crises, riots, govts will fall, and islands will sink, but there will still be billions of people left. It wont be the apocalypse, it will another time history looks back on like the Black Death as a particularly horrific time to be alive for many people.

just look at covid. families are going through absolute hell, millions are dying, and for the most part the world just keeps moving.