Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Gio posted:

there is no way to open schools without daily superspreader events. there is no way to “open safely”.

there is though, if we cared enough.

last to close, first to open. kill community spread in all other areas by strict lock down, and then treat all kids and teachers and parents of kids like front line workers in March 2020. pay extra, parents and teachers stay home or at school. bang pots and pans at them to remind them no brunch (but indoor dining would be closed already)

constant rapid testing like we do for our professional athletes and politicians, robust contact tracing in the easiest environment you have for that (seriously, everyone is strictly scheduled). cohorting, distancing, masks, quarantining, and again, eFMLA at 100% for parents to make it work, substantial hazard pay for teachers to retain and compensate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Pingui posted:

We just have to learn to live with it:

And by "it" I mean the lack of healthcare workers and by "live" I mean die.

It's true, as a healthcare worker I now lust for the quick death of my ignorant countrymen, but most of all I lust for my own!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

That's it, thank you. There's no sort of pre-made thing you can buy? Dyson or whatever? One of my friends who asked could probably make one of those things, but I know at least one of the others would much rather just buy something and be done with it. But yeah thanks.

Sure there are. I have one of those:
https://www.philips.com.ph/c-p/AC0820_10/800-series-air-purifier

I suppose I'll know it's a waste of money if everyone living here gets covid at the same time.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I'm sitting outside the hospital on coffee break right now and listening to nurses talk about how they are willing to be fired to avoid the vaccine and it's no problem because they have money in the bank. Well what can you do, open er up

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

if you send your kid to school, expect that you and your whole family will get covid.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1435220339630485506?s=21

Probably

We don’t know but probably

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

fosborb posted:

last to close, first to open. kill community spread in all other areas by strict lock down, and then treat all kids and teachers and parents of kids like front line workers in March 2020. pay extra, parents and teachers stay home or at school. bang pots and pans at them to remind them no brunch (but indoor dining would be closed already)

constant rapid testing like we do for our professional athletes and politicians, robust contact tracing in the easiest environment you have for that (seriously, everyone is strictly scheduled). cohorting, distancing, masks, quarantining, and again, eFMLA at 100% for parents to make it work, substantial hazard pay for teachers to retain and compensate

yeah i guess this isnt that bad of a plan

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

AceOfFlames posted:

Then what is even the point of vaccination? What is the point of anything? If we are never getting a normal life again, why even stay alive? I don't even miss restaurants or anything, I miss being able to walk the streets without being worried, I miss not feeling like I am the only sane person alive, I miss being able to take a language course to finally integrate to this foreign country I moved to, I miss being able to expand my horizons.

How do you guys handle this?
lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fosborb posted:

All that, and use the army of unemployed service workers to do zoom calls for groups of kids that have to be quarantined, either one or one or in small groups. Keep them socially engaged even at home. And when things are locked down you can use libraries and govt offices to host pods of 3-4 kids before putting them back in classrooms

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

At this point in time I really don't give a poo poo if I don't see anyone who isn't my wife or her grandmother ever again. I just don't care. I'm tired of people and I'm tired of staying alive being controversial somehow. I'm going to spend the rest of my life assuming that everyone is a giant dangerous toddler until they prove otherwise.

You really don't get to choose how and when you're caught in the gears of history, there's nothing wrong with accepting that circumstance has hosed you up pretty badly and you've gotta make the best of it.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

ahhh! come on, Jha!

Dr Jha was one of the primary voices that got the US to lock down at all last year. why the gently caress is he using those two Singapore construction worker studies to say asymptomatic, vaccinated spread doesn't happen???

even if proven out, all vaccinated people in the throes of "back to normal" are going to attribute their symptoms to seasonal allergies and colds

fosborb fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 7, 2021

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

just talking out of his rear end

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1435238503416221700?s=21

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

don’t we all Nate

don’t we all

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

My spouse feels sick and is gonna get tested today

No reason to think it isnt COVID. America gave up

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

why the gently caress did i mention nate jfc

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

euphronius posted:

don’t we all Nate

don’t we all

get elections wrong? yes, we do

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

fosborb posted:

holy poo poo I'm genuinely surprised that's in USA Today

we've been crowing about how hosed pandemic of the unvaccinated is since July. nice to see others finally go, wait a minute, what happens when the hospitals fill up and uh oh aren't children also unvaccinated????

When I used to read USA Today somewhat regularly (they gave them away in the student union please don’t judge too harshly) their gimmick was two conflicting opinion pieces so they could show Both Sides Of The Issue, so I assume this is accompanied by one that calls for all vaccinated people to be shoved into Foo Fighters concerts maskless at gunpoint

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

McNugget Buddy posted:

Rave superspreader guy:

how did you get madjackal texts?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

That's it, thank you. There's no sort of pre-made thing you can buy? Dyson or whatever? One of my friends who asked could probably make one of those things, but I know at least one of the others would much rather just buy something and be done with it. But yeah thanks.

You can buy a room sized HEPA air filter at a hardware store or off Amazon. It costs a couple hundred bucks for one from Honeywell or similar reputable brand. Corsi subes are just cheaper versions of that.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 7, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Teenage Riot posted:

When I used to read USA Today somewhat regularly (they gave them away in the student union please don’t judge too harshly) their gimmick was two conflicting opinion pieces so they could show Both Sides Of The Issue, so I assume this is accompanied by one that calls for all vaccinated people to be shoved into Foo Fighters concerts maskless at gunpoint

I love this framework because it always ends up being the center versus the far right and half the time the editor is like "and see this, they came together to agree that they both hate the left"

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
i was a good boy for 18 months so now its time to murder

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/22651046/covid-19-delta-vaccines-social-distancing-masking-lockdowns posted:

America needs to decide how much Covid-19 risk it will tolerate
A realistic Covid-19 endgame requires accepting some risk. The question is how much.
(..)
Is the current death toll — of more than 1,500 a day, or equivalent to more than 500,000 deaths a year — too much? Many people would say, of course, it is. But in the middle of a delta variant surge, Americans may be revealing their preferences as restaurant reservations are now around the pre-pandemic normal — a sign the country is moving on.
(..)
:crnasickos:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/independentmail/status/1435242356190679045?s=20

Cool. Glad we packed the stands and the surrounding bars and restaurants for that.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:mad: mask

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

"Yes, mass death is bad."

"BUT!"

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

lol literally “let the market decide how much mass death is acceptable”

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

am I part of the mass death? no? then I am okay with it

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

[COVID-19] 😡 mask

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Multiple Idaho health districts have officially instituted triage this morning :peanut:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Soap Scum posted:

[COVID-19] 😡 mask

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

*chuckles*

I'm in danger.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Soap Scum posted:

[COVID-19] 😡 mask

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol this is quite the take

https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/1435190725466071045

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

My spouse feels sick and is gonna get tested today

No reason to think it isnt COVID. America gave up

You can still get sick and not have covid

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

WampaLord posted:

"Yes, mass death is bad."

"BUT!"

thanks skip

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/willystaley/status/1435238699256750084?s=20

except

minor detail posted:

How small are the chances of the average vaccinated American contracting Covid? Probably about one in 5,000 per day, and even lower for people who take precautions or live in a highly vaccinated community.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Soap Scum posted:

[COVID-19] 😡 mask

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schnorkles posted:

Multiple Idaho health districts have officially instituted triage this morning :peanut:

wow sounds bad I'm assuming they have shut down schools and restaurants in the area??? and done a stay at home order and a mask mandate??? seems like a no brainer, I am sure the local government will take charge and do what needs to be done to protect citizens.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/monicagandhi9/status/1435223571878481927?s=21

lol still thinking infecting massive amounts of people will end in anything other than mass death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Soap Scum posted:

[COVID-19] 😡 mask

lol