Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

My work is full of "My kid is so excited for the first day of kindergarten. We're kinda uneasy, but excited for her." ... 5 days later "Our child came home with COVID."

Some are just stupid, some are depressing, overall it's just tragic.

Getting parents back to the office for a grand total of a week before they get sick have to quarantine. Remind me again how this is supposed to be better than continuing the precautions we were taking this time last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1435268880553807876

Here's the associated Nature feature. It's a bit long and frankly disappointing, despite suggesting recent research indicates children's superior innate immunity could be one of the key factors leading to better COVID outcomes it underscores that there's still a lot of uncertainty. US society is asking parents to send their young children back to school unvaccinated because they're at low risk, but to my non-expert uninformed view there's still no clear answer as to exactly WHY they're low risk. It's still a number of half-plausible theories, with more research required.

The article is worth reading, here's one passage that stood out for me:

quote:

Isabelle Meyts, a paediatric immunologist and physician at the Catholic University of Leuven in Belgium, regularly sees children with immune disorders. When the pandemic hit, she prepared a plan to protect them. “The patients I was most scared for were actually the patients who have innate immune defects,” says Meyts.

Her hunch has so far proved correct. Children with disorders affecting their adaptive immune response — those who don’t produce antibodies or have faulty B-cell and T-cell production, for example — did not encounter problems when infected with SARS-CoV-2. Among those that became severely ill were children with shortcomings in their innate immune response, she says. “It’s not really the adaptive immune system that is helping you to beat this virus.”

A study in adults9 also found that a small number of people with severe COVID-19 have mutations that disrupt type 1 interferon activity, which plays a part in the innate immune response to viruses. Separate analyses found that one in ten people with life-threatening COVID-19 produced antibodies that blocked the activity of these interferons10, and that the prevalence of such antibodies increases with age in people who have not previously been infected with the coronavirus11
Presumably a strong innate immune response prevents the virus from getting much of a foothold (?), and in conjunction with an overall weaker adaptive immune system decreases the chance of the kind of maladapted immune response that contributes to severe COVID (??). Also children maybe had less time to develop the kind of interferon auto-antibodies that's also been tied to worse COVID outcomes. It'd be nice to know whether clearing the virus quickly via the innate immune response reduces the risk of long COVID and by how much, but this still seems to be unknown by my reading.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/health/article/Texas-pediatric-COVID-hospitalizations-hit-record-16439169.php

quote:

The number of Texas children hospitalized with COVID-19 hit an all-time high over the weekend, with 345 on Saturday and 307 on Sunday, the highest two-day stretch recorded during the pandemic, according to data from the Texas Department of State Health Services.

but don't worry the new case number went down over the vacation weekend so everything is better and our strategy to mass infect every child and person in the country was totally smart and completely validated

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"things are going okay in my blue bubble, compared to the bloodlands" should be more comforting but the problem is that the bloodlands are filling up our ICU capacity and driving hcws to quit, so functionally I'm not spared at all

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nature is a nonsense rag.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gotta line up Biden's speech with the cycle of his meds and lucidity. Let's shift this bad boy of pandemic response to Thursday.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
. y.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
corn pop is going to throw a pizza party for the nation to celebrate the end of Covid forever.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Epic High Five posted:

"things are going okay in my blue bubble, compared to the bloodlands" should be more comforting but the problem is that the bloodlands are filling up our ICU capacity and driving hcws to quit, so functionally I'm not spared at all

I'm not really worried about myself, I realistically could do a lot more for my health than taking extra covid precautions, and so I'm forced to agree with you no matter how much watching the chuds pile up makes me happy

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Seattle School Dashboard. https://www.seattleschools.org/resources/covid-19-dashboard/
Hoping these rates stay low. :sigh:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1435127347766833154?s=20

lol this is the Great Barrington Declaration plan, except applied to boosters

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Our county just dropped the number of cases of student positives for the past week. 521. lol

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vyacheslav posted:

What's the appropriate amount of scorn to heap on a group of friends, one of whom is immunocompromised from MS, who are about to fly to Florida Disney for the food festival at epcot? I mean beyond the scorn for being adult Disney fans.

there is literally no limit

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1434970067876335621?s=20
https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1434950163391467531?s=20
https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1435158172176719873?s=20

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Epic High Five posted:

iirc the Seattle area services like 4 states for trauma care, so what the yokels in Idaho do definitely affects me

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Hell yeah

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Vyacheslav posted:

What's the appropriate amount of scorn to heap on a group of friends, one of whom is immunocompromised from MS, who are about to fly to Florida Disney for the food festival at epcot? I mean beyond the scorn for being adult Disney fans.

I had a bunch of friends go to Disney World last week and then 3 different festivals in their home city this past weekend. I didn't say anything.

Idk, I think harassing individual people just makes me sound crazy. Why would they think I'm right when literally the whole media and political apparatus is saying they are safe?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yo..what the gently caress

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
any biohazard fashion thats in

i want the bridges gear from death stranding hybridized with it

just gonna trek and van the american wastelands, treating covid infected as BTs (i hold my breath a lot) and every major city as an epicenter of covid voidout

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

bedpan posted:

I know this is a controversial take but I'm really not okay with mass death!

:same:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Lacrosse posted:

iirc the Seattle area services like 4 states for trauma care, so what the schnorkels in Idaho do definitely affects me

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
even with a respirator or a mask, do you find yourself holding your breath when you see someone come within 3 meters of you?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That dude's having some kind of episode.

Part of the new strain of right-wing crazy is just giving a vocabulary to already-unstable people who would otherwise be jabbering about CIA mind control weather devices.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lastgirl posted:

even with a respirator or a mask, do you find yourself holding your breath when you see someone come within 3 meters of you?

i breathe manually so this isn’t a problem

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lastgirl posted:

I do. I also attempt to give them the widest berth possible. Most people will just blunder by within inches, even with me obviously attempting to keep space.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the Russians are saying to just get every vaccine you can
https://twitter.com/sputnikvaccine/status/1435193090810294274?s=20

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Death Panels

Ha Ha yes!

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Dr Falsey

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Kentucky Governor called a special session of Congress work on hopefully establishing some guide lines and efforts to curb COVID19. Unfortunately, he seems to be the most naive motherfucker on Earth because so far the Republican Controller congress seems mostly concerned with removed the mask mandates in public schools.

Kentucky lawmakers may consider ending school mask mandate during special session. https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ate/5750642001/

The Kentucky teachers did a pretty strong run of strikes when their pension got threatened. Maybe we will see some more strikes?

IDK. This is loving nuts!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

I had a bunch of friends go to Disney World last week and then 3 different festivals in their home city this past weekend. I didn't say anything.

Idk, I think harassing individual people just makes me sound crazy. Why would they think I'm right when literally the whole media and political apparatus is saying they are safe?

I'm also trying to break the habit of telling people what they should or shouldn't do. Feels like we're past that.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!
*guzzling the horse paste in the parking lot before I enter the ER to get bumped up a color*

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
people would take it a lot more seriously than seeing some dipshit schlub amerimutt in western casual clothes, in a graphic tee with holes thats a billboard for other zoo people consumers wearing a dicknose paper mask and slurring compared to a biohazard suit that has proximity alerts beeping and whistling with lots of lights and shimmying optibot flashlight over your shoulder telling a citizen they have broken the 6 ft rule and will start to shoot lysol in a 360 radius effectively in 10 seconds if they do not comply to the social distancing guideline. Also be sure to crouch a lot and put your hand over your respirator as if you're trying to hold your breath, or signifying it

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

i breathe manually so this isn’t a problem

on that demon slayer total concentration tip

Iron Crowned posted:

I do. I also attempt to give them the widest berth possible. Most people will just blunder by within inches, even with me obviously attempting to keep space.

thats the other thing, americans are some of the most oblivious motherfuckers on this planet lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

are we not seeing Western media talk about Russia's failures with regards to COVID because they did the same strategy as the West, focusing mainly on vaccination with few other NPIs.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

This still puts chuds first in line

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

I just remembered someone posting last year about the health adviser / consultant for their school district in Iowa (or other upper-midwest state) who said that even a single kid's death would make everyone go apeshit, so therefore no cases were acceptable. I wonder what that consultant is thinking now that the mask is off regarding our thirst for blood and Applebee's.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Vyacheslav posted:

all of it, refill and then double up

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

COVID 2024
Kill 'em All!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm trying to imagine how much the average response would be if COVID had a gross physical component. I feel like a few face puss lesions per person would absolutely lead to lockdowns.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

are we not seeing Western media talk about Russia's failures with regards to COVID because they did the same strategy as the West, focusing mainly on vaccination with few other NPIs.

I mean, they tried, but they hosed it up worse than most everywhere else. Should put the communists back in charge imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm trying to imagine how much the average response would be if COVID had a gross physical component. I feel like a few face puss lesions per person would absolutely lead to lockdowns.

A lot more cool make-up Tik Toks, for sure!