Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

CainsDescendant posted:

Based on some other stuff in the trailer and those promo photos, I'm thinking Moiraine gets injured in Shadar Logoth and Lan and Nynaeve take her to get healed. The closest Aes Sedai are those transporting a captured Logain. While they're there Logain's dudes attack and Logain breaks containment. I'm thinking they're setting him up as more of an early antagonist, both to show off how dangerous male channelers are and also to maybe set up that he might actually be the Dragon. I'm thinking they're going to make that a much muddier issue than it was in the book.

Probably not worth spoiling wild speculation but eh

Eh, probably not but it definitely looks like they're doing a lot more with that character than the early books did. Should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

#4 is probably more to do with Logain and a discussion on what the Dragon Reborn is, rather than revealing the answer, which probably comes at the end of the season.

Yeah I was initially worried that they were going to speedrun all of book 1 in four episodes, but it looks like the spine of the first season will be book 1 with some plotlines shifted forwards (Logain) and some plotlines pushed back (Elayne).

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've probably said it a few times in here but one of my top gripes with the series is that we should have got Logain PoV's way earlier and a lot more of them. I really hope they take this chance to give him more stuff to do, he was always one of my favorite tertiary characters and they could use his story to set up a lot about the world. I'm hoping they're not just going to merge him and Taim and make him a madman/darkfriend though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CainsDescendant posted:

I've probably said it a few times in here but one of my top gripes with the series is that we should have got Logain PoV's way earlier and a lot more of them. I really hope they take this chance to give him more stuff to do, he was always one of my favorite tertiary characters and they could use his story to set up a lot about the world. I'm hoping they're not just going to merge him and Taim and make him a madman/darkfriend though.

I don't think they really could, Logain is a big part of Rand's legacy and is a clear setup for the world moving forwards, not to mention serving as an effective secondary good/bad crisis.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

We better get Demandred in coin armor by the end Amazon, I swear to god!

It's gonna be Jeff Bezos in Bitcoin armour instead, hope you're happy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They won't turn Logain evil cause he's the dark emo hair prettyboy that all the teenage girls will love so he has to be the bad boy with a heart of gold

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I'm just waiting for the Demandred in Shara spinoff show.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is there a way for the show to make Taim less obviously evil than he is in the books?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Play up Rand insulting and undercutting his authority at every turn, and it'll just look like he's reasonably angry at the insane emperor loving with how he runs his magic boy school. Even the factionalism in the black tower could make sense in light of that, those who are on Taim's side would be less obviously dreadlords in training.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's all sorts of avenues for them to recontextualize characters at various parts of the story, so it'll be interesting to see what they do. i definitely do feel like they're going to focus a bit more on logain early to set him up as the dragon reborn and have him be insanely dangerous, but then pull out the rug with rand at a pivotal point of the first season. should be interesting to see what happens.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
They should just make Taim into Demanded for the show. There was no time to actually build up Shara properly in the books, so just cut it for the show and let the Lord of Chaos rule the black tower in his originally intended Taimandred form.

This has the added benefit of being both a gently caress you to casual readers and a big wink to real fans.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lord of Chaos is Rand tho

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

Lord of Chaos is Rand tho

And the actual meaning is that of the village idiot. Which is Rand.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I just want an epic Dumai's well. Easily the best sequence in the series m

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No, thats definitely Winter's Heart

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Nobody better be poo poo talking Elayne in this thread. :colbert:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

In the last couple of books she completely loses her mind

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Charlz Guybon posted:

We stan Min.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No she doesn't.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

No she doesn't.

She doesn't, Brandon Sanderson definitely did though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'll poo poo talk Elayne in any thread I want :colbert:

she's ok

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Elayne, more like She’s Lame, amirite? :v:

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

elayne gets captured drat near every other book. i am surprised that's not a meme up there with braid tugging. she's responsible for some of the most tedious sequences in the series. she doesn't get along with anyone. her POVs are driven by petty emotional decisions that end up being disastrous. shes really bad, like pretty much every non-borderlands noble.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

calandryll posted:

I just want an epic Dumai's well. Easily the best sequence in the series m

Can't wait for my fun fantasy show to depict the head explosion weave being used on entire battalions of bad guys.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Clever Moniker posted:

Can't wait for my fun fantasy show to depict the head explosion weave being used on entire battalions of bad guys.

dumais wells isn't epic because of the head explosions

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Elayne is tough to like sometimes but the real problem with her was the pointless Caemlyn succession war story. It was important for her character to show she could fight for something and be clever and Queenly, but holy moses it was a drag. All those stupid Andoran houses that I don't remember all gripped up in a books-long struggle where the outcome was never in doubt and nothing worthwhile happens. The only standout moments are Elayne being suicidally stupid in hunting the black ajah and those are just frustrating. Up until Ebou Dar I generally quite like Elayne, but that whole plotline was a black hole in itself and her character never really recovered from it.

Also her hitting on Thom for like half a book was super weird and gross.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The narrative really should cut off after she regained the throne, we don't need her day-to-day life like we did for Perrin.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Honestly the only thing that annoyed me was her walking into the most obvious Black Ajah trap ever THEN DOING THE EXACT SAME loving THING AGAIN

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Elayne has a lot of interesting things and plotlines that just get completely sidelined once all the Camelyn poo poo starts. Her experiments with and creation of new Ter'Angreal was really cool and I wish more had been done with it.

Also, I might be the only one but I do appreciate her leaning into being suicidality aggressive when hunting the Black Ajah because she's uh correct that she's got to live long enough to give birth and fulfill some of Min's other prophecies. It blows up in her face but its a good way to explore how people deal with foreknowlege

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Huh. Yup, that's the first time I've seen someone like that about her.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Huh. Yup, that's the first time I've seen someone like that about her.

She's working the system. It's what any number of D&D players would try once they had a "this is always correct" prophecy in hand. Take it to the logical extreme. The goofy thing isn't that Elayne tries to take advantage of Min's prophecies, the goofy thing is that no one ELSE does, at least until Fortuona gets her hands on her.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I think Elayne is going to the character most served by not being written by a dude with some weird hangups about women. If they focus on the good parts of her character (extremely brave, adventurous, great political mind, very down to earth by regal standards) and drop all the haha bitches be crazy stuff like getting horny for her fake dad or the everyone's on their period sections with Egwene/Nynaeve then she should come across really well

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

jng2058 posted:

She's working the system. It's what any number of D&D players would try once they had a "this is always correct" prophecy in hand. Take it to the logical extreme. The goofy thing isn't that Elayne tries to take advantage of Min's prophecies, the goofy thing is that no one ELSE does, at least until Fortuona gets her hands on her.

Yeah, but she does it stupidly. And worse, she does it stupidly repeatedly. She never realizes things like "You can have babies even after you're stilled or enslaved or taken prisoner" and she repeatedly endangers her own people because she believes she has plot armor and doesn't realize that it might come in the form of "your guards die while rescuing you".

To put it into D&D terms, the DM has already made it abundantly clear that lovely things can still happen to the rest of the party and she keeps going "Yeah, but they can't kill me, right?"

Khizan fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 9, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I like the Andoran civil and her pursuit of the Black Ajah.

I was integral to the successful conclusion of both events. :colbert:

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

jng2058 posted:

I thought some Aes Sedai had a discussion about this at some point and the conclusion was that Min's visions don't actually have to come true but if they don't then the wheel is broken, the pattern's screwed up, and everybody is probably totally hosed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Charlz Guybon posted:

I like the Andoran civil and her pursuit of the Black Ajah.

I was integral to the successful conclusion of both events. :colbert:

Best member of the queen's guard since Tallanvor

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Donkey posted:

I thought some Aes Sedai had a discussion about this at some point and the conclusion was that Min's visions don't actually have to come true but if they don't then the wheel is broken, the pattern's screwed up, and everybody is probably totally hosed.
They do. It's in The Gathering Storm during the Dark Rand phase. Specifically, it's in relation to one of Cadsuane's Aes Sedai not being freaked out about Rand, because Min has seen stuff that says they win so why bother worrying about it?

So, Min's visions can only possibly be not true if they refer to events that happen AFTER the Dragon's victory, because the Pattern is still functioning right up until the theoretical point where the Dark One breaks it. TBH, it's a very missed opportunity to have her go "oh gently caress, but I was wrong about Moiraine" and have people absolutely panic for a bit.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Then Caemlyn gets blown up anyways. Good thing Elayne spent like 4 books becoming queen for that. Just make crazy rear end Ter’Angreal. Woulda been way more fun.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Charlz Guybon posted:

I don’t think anyone was truly appreciating the username/post combo here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Khizan posted:

Yeah, but she does it stupidly. And worse, she does it stupidly repeatedly. She never realizes things like "You can have babies even after you're stilled or enslaved or taken prisoner" and she repeatedly endangers her own people because she believes she has plot armor and doesn't realize that it might come in the form of "your guards die while rescuing you".

To put it into D&D terms, the DM has already made it abundantly clear that lovely things can still happen to the rest of the party and she keeps going "Yeah, but they can't kill me, right?"

Do you think that the Black Ajah wouldn't be assassinating people if she wasn't endangering them? Is that where we're at? As channellers she and her cohort are the only people who stood any chance whatsoever against a Black Ajah plot that's why the Black Ajah was shivving her followers since before she even got to Caemlyn.

And we're still at a point where other people in this thread are unironically posting the rhetorical equivalent of "she should be in the kitchen making sammiches"

The real problem here is RJ left Brandon Sanderson a bunch of plot and the only thing Brandon could think to do with it was to make Elayne's plot-mandated failure to deal with the Black Ajah a moral failure. That's it. Brandon hosed it up worse than he did TGS Mat and especially hosed it up worse than trying to whitewash the Mera'din and Tylin Mitsobar in ToM.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 9, 2021