Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

I hope one of the characters in Part 9 is a mysterious man with a baby arm.

Lmao an elderly Joshu with a baby arm still being lovely and getting owned every chapter would rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

Kaato at least got to fulfill her purpose in a real cool way.
I really feel like Araki had no idea what to do with her, or just changed the plans for her entirely. She came back and it seemed like a big deal, but outside of flashback exposition, she did literally nothing until the last few chapters.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It feels like that's the case with a lot of the side characters in JJL to be honest.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Another reason why the roadtrip story, simple as it may be, works so great for Jojo. It is episodic by nature and supports random people coming and going much better

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Downtown (From Gaki no Tsukai, legendary japanese comedy duo) run a panel show where people come in to test theories or things from manga/tv etc.

They did the Super Fly transmission tower concept. Essentially, they kidnapped a comedian and locked him in a warehouse and he could only leave if someone entered his cage.

https://mega.nz/folder/hMFiha4R#ZqP_UtepC3EN7BHb4P8vEg/file/VYtmgIiY

It mentions a part 2 at the end of this clip but apparently it got cancelled because the location was even more sketchy and someone called the police after seeing the first comedian get kidnapped :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Downtown (From Gaki no Tsukai, legendary japanese comedy duo) run a panel show where people come in to test theories or things from manga/tv etc.

They did the Super Fly transmission tower concept. Essentially, they kidnapped a comedian and locked him in a warehouse and he could only leave if someone entered his cage.

https://mega.nz/folder/hMFiha4R#ZqP_UtepC3EN7BHb4P8vEg/file/VYtmgIiY

It mentions a part 2 at the end of this clip but apparently it got cancelled because the location was even more sketchy and someone called the police after seeing the first comedian get kidnapped :v:

Now that I think about it, the concept of the no laughing batsu game is like a stand ability. You laugh and a punch ghost wallops you

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Third D'arby sibling. He's a stand-up comedian but if you laugh he gets your soul. When he kills it onstage, he really kills it. :rimshot: Either way he can't keep an audience! :rimshot:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Careful, Joestar. In this club, if you laugh, you lose!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

Third D'arby sibling. He's a stand-up comedian but if you laugh he gets your soul. When he kills it onstage, he really kills it. :rimshot: Either way he can't keep an audience! :rimshot:

Jerry S. D'Arby and his stand talks to him/serves as a hype man and/or sycophantic supporter

"That Ovaltine bit? That's G O O D, Jerry! G O O D! "

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 6, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

rewatched the Josuke vs Kira fight and man Hayato really doesn’t question the “ghost dad flying around inside a photograph” thing for even a second lol. He’s just like “oh wow when did he get there, I didn’t notice him at all.”

Though I guess if you had the kind of day this kid has had nothing would surprise you anymore.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Augus posted:

rewatched the Josuke vs Kira fight and man Hayato really doesn’t question the “ghost dad flying around inside a photograph” thing for even a second lol. He’s just like “oh wow when did he get there, I didn’t notice him at all.”

Though I guess if you had the kind of day this kid has had nothing would surprise you anymore.

God, what does all of that whole exchange look like to him, a mundane person who can't see Stands? The inscrutable being that stole his dad's face and trapped him in a time loop is commanding the weird plant-animal thing he found in the attic to levitate in mid-air and fire invisible disintegration-missiles at the nice high-school kid who can heal wounds and reverse causality with a touch

This is poo poo that in olden times would inspire heroic epics and the founding of new religions, and it's the big final battle in a shonen manga that in context is impressive, yeah, but not THAT out of the ordinary. It doesn't even have a vampire in it!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Now that I think about it, the concept of the no laughing batsu game is like a stand ability. You laugh and a punch ghost wallops you

ora ora'd by chono again.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

God, what does all of that whole exchange look like to him, a mundane person who can't see Stands? The inscrutable being that stole his dad's face and trapped him in a time loop is commanding the weird plant-animal thing he found in the attic to levitate in mid-air and fire invisible disintegration-missiles at the nice high-school kid who can heal wounds and reverse causality with a touch

It's gotta be killin him inside that he can't tell anyone. Maybe he could sell the story to Rohan for some quick bux, but he'd be cheated out of it somehow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pootybutt posted:

It's gotta be killin him inside that he can't tell anyone. Maybe he could sell the story to Rohan for some quick bux, but he'd be cheated out of it somehow.

Rohan was there!

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Rohan was there!

He didn't live the life! Living with a Murder, who is not my dad: an inside story!

Then Rohan will be like, yeah I already uhh just photocopied your pages about that w Heaven's Door's new ability

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Imagine Rohan reading through Hayato after Kira's dead and reading about all of the times he went and got himself blown the gently caress up

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Netflix is releasing 4 episodes of Stone Ocean at once each month, starting in December (a full month ahead of JP TV release).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well, it's better than a full dump at least, but these people have no respect for Fridays at all

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

quote:

The final battle to end the century-long, fateful confrontations between the Joestar family and DIO begins!!

This seems mildly spoilery knowing the finale, I wonder if people going in blind that read this will pick up on it?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

multijoe posted:

these people have no respect for Fridays at all

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Farewell JoJo Fridays...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's a step up from their usual anime release schedule of "release half the show six months after its finished in Japan"

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

CodfishCartographer posted:

This seems mildly spoilery knowing the finale, I wonder if people going in blind that read this will pick up on it?

I mean, it's fairly well-known that the next part after this is a reboot, right? I don't think it's spoilery to say that Stone Ocean concludes the original JoJo story.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also summarising the general premise is not a spoiler

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
"there are stands in this part"

"wow spoilers"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well Manicured Man posted:

I mean, it's fairly well-known that the next part after this is a reboot, right? I don't think it's spoilery to say that Stone Ocean concludes the original JoJo story.
As someone who is currently reading Stone Ocean and knew generally about Steel Ball Run, I didn't really have any sense going in of why this part was followed by a reboot. I thought it might just conclude its own story and then maybe Araki just got bored and decided to shake things up. I don't mind knowing though, and I can see how it helps market it.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Well Manicured Man posted:

Sort of, it could just as easily go back to that world.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also the story is wildly different than people are going to expect from "the end to the Joestar vs. DIO saga".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

plus people are going to post that jotaro gets oingo boingod and jolyne dies within 2 minutes of each other to troll them anyway in the wider community

because they should read the drat manga
its okay if they don't

but they should read the manga
reaad the manga

skip dragon's dream poo poo's obtuse

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 10, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dragon's Dream is just feng shui themed final destination

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dragon's Dream: It Just Works

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that’s real fuckin weird lol

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
What's so complicated about Dragon's Dream? It's just Wonder of U, but an AOE instead of a debuff.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I like Dragon's Dream cuz the stand is generally being kind of a dick to everyone involved, also the way it ends. Also, Pucci wouldn't get to hear his sweet jams without that fight.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The only thing I remember from the Dragon's Dream fight was the pages upon pages of explaining how the gently caress it all worked which cut into the action.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Augus posted:

that’s real fuckin weird lol

it's so they can still have a technical monopoly on it even once it starts airing on tv. if they release 4 entire episodes at the start of a month then there will be people gravitating towards the netflix releases just so they can see the episodes as soon as possible. not that this changes anything for people who, well, you know, but in any scenario it basically sucks any excitement out of the delayed, weekly releases on tv.

poo poo sucks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I still plan to watch one episode every Friday, but I guess now I can't participate in discussing the content

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is netflix version dubbed or subbed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FirstAidKite posted:

Is netflix version dubbed or subbed?

I don't believe they've announced a dub yet