Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Anyone who gets it will love it, honestly. Also, congrats on your transition! (Is that the right thing to say? Sorry if it's not. Coming from a place of well intentioned ignorance here.)

Congratulations are always welcome! At least for me! (Some folks don't like it to be commented on, but I'm not one of them) Figuring out I'm non-binary as hell has been such a freeing relief and I'm so happy to be me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Congratulations are always welcome! At least for me! (Some folks don't like it to be commented on, but I'm not one of them) Figuring out I'm non-binary as hell has been such a freeing relief and I'm so happy to be me

I'm very happy to hear that, and I'm happy for you. That's wonderful.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chairman Capone posted:

I always assumed that the Jaina Proudmoore character in Warcraft was named after Jaina Solo. There are so many references to other franchises in Blizzard games, it just made sense.
Her cloak in WC3 was literally just a page from an old Warhammer book with the colours flipped, so it's entirely plausible.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, so I finished Light Of The Jedi and overall enjoyed it.

Highlight for me was Marshion Ro. I was listening to the audiobook and wow, I love his voice in it. Makes me think of some scrawny needling who is over his head and then reveals himself to be an utter psycho. Love him and the Nihil. Amazing villian.

Low point though is it felt like the heros in general were undercooked. The style here reminds me of Roland Emmerich and Independence day. A group of brand archetypes and characters all working for the same goal. Thats fine for a 2 hour movie,, but for a book,, Im hoping they get fleshed put more in farther installments.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The voice acting might be doing a lot of the lifting there. I felt like he was boring as hell in the book.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL-RfE-ioJ8

Don’t mind me, I’m just waiting for that PC announcement.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hmmmm…Gotta wonder how much they’re going to change.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

Hmmmm…Gotta wonder how much they’re going to change.

Probably just updated graphics, maybe some control schemes. I can't imagine they'll change any story or be adding any new features. Maaaaaaybe some new side missions. Maybe.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Probably just updated graphics, maybe some control schemes. I can't imagine they'll change any story or be adding any new features. Maaaaaaybe some new side missions. Maybe.

The official blog post has some deets, though it’s still difficult to say what exactly they’re doing besides “bringing it up to modern standards”: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/09/09/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-is-the-legendary-tale-remade-on-playstation-5/

edit: PC confirmed https://twitter.com/lucasfilmgames/status/1436066933032439824?s=21

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 9, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

At the very least you can be pretty sure they don’t mean just upscaling textures a bit. Since the game is 18 years old, and the level geometry was incredibly flat and empty even for its time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm very curious if this is being brought into Canon or will remain a legends game

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah same -- I feel like it really wouldn't be hard to make it fit into canon, it's so far in the past that anything it might contradict can easily be handwaved away as something that just happened to change in 4,000 years

Really hope they revamp the gameplay though, every time I think about another runthrough I remember how tedious and boring the combat could be. Even just making it more like The Old Republic would be a huge improvement

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

I'm very curious if this is being brought into Canon or will remain a legends game

My guess is it will remain Legends, but either it's going to be a thing where they already have some other stuff planned using KOTOR elements (like how Valance was in the Marvel one-shot prior to being brought back) or if it does really well they'll do canonical stuff with the characters.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Really hope they revamp the gameplay though, every time I think about another runthrough I remember how tedious and boring the combat could be. Even just making it more like The Old Republic would be a huge improvement

Yeah, especially early on. It's not as bad later but especially the Taris opening, combat is a drag.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They'll need to use the original audio or recast Canderous. RIP John Cygan.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Bringing it into the new canon would probably require quite a bit of rewriting outside the main plot, as the game is full of reference to other stuff in Legends that collectively nails down the origin of the Sith pretty firmly. That's stuff that Disney might not be interested in bringing over as is.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Fun fact; under the hood KotOR combat is literally just the 3rd edition D&D rules from Neverwinter Nights that they adapted the engine from.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 9, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Even if they keep it legends, I wonder if when they're making the new assets they'll try to synchronize things from the new canon, like using the design of the Sith Academy from The Clone Wars (which itself was based on the design from The Old Republic) or making the Hammerhead ships match the design from Rogue One.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

They'll need to use the original audio or recast Canderous. RIP John Cygan.
Ed Asner was Master Vrook.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On that topic, there's this interview on the official site: https://www.starwars.com/news/knights-of-the-old-republic-remake

quote:

The teaser trailer revealed at PlayStation Showcase and available to view above doesn’t show much, but it does feature a very-cool looking Revan — and a voice that fans of the original might recognize.

“I can confirm that that is Jennifer Hale. We all think the world of Jennifer. She is an amazing talent and immediately slipped back into the role of Bastila when she came to help us with the teaser trailer,” Treadwell says. “I do think that you’re going to see some other familiar voices return, but that’s probably as deep as we’re gonna go on that one right now.”

That seems pretty much a confirmation that they're re-recording the voices.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Won't be the same without Solidus

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Awesome awesome awesome.

Now I'm gonna cry in a corner because Kotor 2 will never get a full remake.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Getting a full remake would require them to actually finish the game.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Awesome awesome awesome.

Now I'm gonna cry in a corner because Kotor 2 will never get a full remake.
Never say never. I’m sure the design docs still exist.

I tried the fanpatch and got burned out on the droid world that got cut from the original release. Too much running back and forth for dumb poo poo and nothing compelling in between.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

With the fam patches, I kept hitting a bug when you get to Telos and suddenly your characters won't level up.

But the thing with kotor 2 is that it was in such an unfinished state on launch that they would have to write an actual ending for it.

Plus, KOTOR 2 touches on some of the same themes that Last Jedi did in terms of the force and the Jedi that...I dont think Disney wants to do that again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Casimir Radon posted:

Never say never. I’m sure the design docs still exist.

I tried the fanpatch and got burned out on the droid world that got cut from the original release. Too much running back and forth for dumb poo poo and nothing compelling in between.

M478 was removed for a good reason. It was cut from the game long before Obsidian had to take the hatchet to the game and it shows. There's only a skeleton of what the planet was supposed to be before they cut their losses and folded Lonna Vash into the Korriban plot line. The music music M478 is beautiful though and should have been reused in the main game.

Mark Griskey and Jesse Harlin are seriously underrated when it comes to good Star Wars music.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jivjov posted:

I picked my own name, and I'm a whole rear end adult, so my opinion maybe doesn't count for a whole lot, but at least some people can exercise restraint and make their pop culture references subtle. Like, I see the dentist for the first time since starting my transition today, and unless the receptionist is also a big nerd, "Jaina" isn't going to set off alarm bells as NERD NAME!

Keep it subtle, or confined to a middle name, and it's much less obnoxious than most.

congrats and thats a genuinely good name. yeah. i feel like much like t-shirts/clothing nerd poo poo works best either stylish and/or subtle.

Cross-Section posted:

The official blog post has some deets, though it’s still difficult to say what exactly they’re doing besides “bringing it up to modern standards”: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/09/09/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-is-the-legendary-tale-remade-on-playstation-5/

edit: PC confirmed https://twitter.com/lucasfilmgames/status/1436066933032439824?s=21

i kinda assume its gonna play more like dragon age inquisition or DA2 or the FF7 remake.. auto combat with turn based elements from the original game arnt bad but it was always the weakest part of KOTOR.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Arc Hammer posted:

M478 was removed for a good reason. It was cut from the game long before Obsidian had to take the hatchet to the game and it shows. There's only a skeleton of what the planet was supposed to be before they cut their losses and folded Lonna Vash into the Korriban plot line. The music music M478 is beautiful though and should have been reused in the main game.

Mark Griskey and Jesse Harlin are seriously underrated when it comes to good Star Wars music.

Yeah and having a whole other planet just annihilates the power curve.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

congrats and thats a genuinely good name. yeah. i feel like much like t-shirts/clothing nerd poo poo works best either stylish and/or subtle.

i kinda assume its gonna play more like dragon age inquisition or DA2 or the FF7 remake.. auto combat with turn based elements from the original game arnt bad but it was always the weakest part of KOTOR.

That's my read as well. It's a R2make/FFVIIR style remake and the gameplay will be more action-oriented. I expect them to copy FFVIIR's three-man party gameplay.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OhFunny posted:

Yeah and having a whole other planet just annihilates the power curve.

That's my read as well. It's a R2make/FFVIIR style remake and the gameplay will be more action-oriented. I expect them to copy FFVIIR's three-man party gameplay.

yeah. that my hope. Like hot take but the combat in the old games sucks rear end. it worked then but i tried going back to it in during the heavy pandemic time and i just kept bouncing off the game because the combat is both annoying and boring. either make it straight up action style or make it more x-com/turn based style. one or other.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

WOW was Traitor a good read! I think it's the only one of these books i've ever just read through in basically one sitting since so much is always happening you wanna see what comes next. Being relatively short really helped it there too :v:

Even in a post KOTOR 2 world where discussions on there being no absolute Light or Dark side of the Force is very well tread territory by this point it was still presented very well considering the point of view is this kid that has had veryhorrific things happen to him whereas in like the Jedi Knight games it was Kyle Katarn or KOTOR 2's Exile that were full grown adults that had very different circumstances surrounding their fall/self isolation.

So i don't know if i'm just not getting the point or if it gets explained in later books but when Jacen comes to the revelation of The Vong essentially just being on another wavelength of The Force that Jedi normally can't interact with and that's why they are essentially invisible to Force senses is that the correct read? It's intentionally played off like not a really big deal revelation but i feel like there needs to be a bit more of an explanation there if there isn't one coming up in later books.

Also going through this whole series so far and knowing vaguely that Jacen goes on to do bad things later on in life i was wondering how this whiny, broody, flippy floppy Jedi kid was gonna end up becoming that and OH LORD is this whole series and especially this book a good reason why he might have some grievances!

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 16, 2021

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

The Shame Boy posted:

Also going through this whole series so far and knowing vaguely that Jacen goes on to do bad things later on in life i was wondering how this whiny, broody, flippy floppy Jedi kid was gonna end up becoming that and OH LORD is this whole series and especially this book a good reason why he might have some grievances!

As reviled as it is, Dark Nest does contain brief but important pieces of background for Jacen's eventual fall.

DARK NEST SPOILER: In the 5-year timeskip between the NJO and Dark Nest, Jacen basically wanders the galaxy, mastering unique techniques from all the obscure Force-using traditions that are neither Jedi nor Sith (but apparently without really committing to their tenets, instead just quoting them when convenient. Why any of these traditions would agree to teach him anything is a mystery). My read was that acquiring all this knowledge and capability was the point where his ego started massively inflating to the point where he thought himself capable of always coming up with the best solution to a given challenge.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Slashrat posted:

As reviled as it is, Dark Nest does contain brief but important pieces of background for Jacen's eventual fall.

DARK NEST SPOILER: In the 5-year timeskip between the NJO and Dark Nest, Jacen basically wanders the galaxy, mastering unique techniques from all the obscure Force-using traditions that are neither Jedi nor Sith (but apparently without really committing to their tenets, instead just quoting them when convenient. Why any of these traditions would agree to teach him anything is a mystery). My read was that acquiring all this knowledge and capability was the point where his ego started massively inflating to the point where he thought himself capable of always coming up with the best solution to a given challenge.

Re: why would Any of those other force users teach him things--I'm guessing that especially in the wake of repelling another galactic level threat, "my uncle is Luke Skywalker, my parents are Han Solo and Leia Organa-Solo" carried a lot of weight

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Regarding Jacen's fall, Traitor definitely plays into it, but a big part is that a lot of authors (and fans) either misunderstood or just disliked Vergere and her Potentium teachings. It feels kind of funny from the viewpoint of 2021, but there was a good decade or so when Vergere was probably the most controversial thing in the non-movie Star Wars world. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that debates on the Potentium were on the level of debates about TLJ, not only in the fandom but down to various authors explicitly trying to write their own particular interpretations into canon.

In terms of Jacen's journey, I also remember that for years there were fans clinging to the view that Jacen was replaced by a clone at some point after the NJO ended, and that "Darth Caedus" was a completely separate character and some day the real Jacen would return to the series.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I talked about KOTOR 2 a bit when reading through Traitor but now that i've finally getting to Destiny's Way and here is Jacen just straight up doing Battle Meditation as it was in KOTOR 1 with a single Jedi hanging out on the bridge of a capital ship directing combat :psyduck:

I guess Star by Star was the first time it was technically used by a large group of Jedi and you could argue they did it first in one of the Dark Tide books when all 3 of the Solo kids were fighting at Lando's Folly. But is the first time it's done in the way it was presented in KOTOR 1 only a year later! Wonder how many of the writers at Bioware or Obsidian took inspiration from NJO while writing the games.

Edit: After so much of a build up it really was kinda disappointing that Tsavong Lah just gets merc'ed by Jaina in one stab to the throat when she can't even properly move at the time they were even fighting! For a book that is a bit too slow paced in places and was a bit overly long i'm glad that fight was at least short but kind of felt thrown in at the last minute to just get rid of Lah so that we can focus on what happened to Nom Anor and what the deal with Shimraah is despite that though i overall enjoyed Destinys Way! Almost to the end now dear friends.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 25, 2021

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Battle meditation actually goes back to Tales of the Jedi; it was Nomi Sunrider's special skill, and a few others as well. That's where KOTOR got it from, and possibly Walter Jon Williams did too.

e: That said, someone at Bioware definitely read the NJO or at least knew of it, since Canderous tells that one story about meeting what's almost certainly a Vong ship.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 25, 2021

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Wasn't Bastilla originally meant to be a Sunrider until there was a lawsuit with... Jeep? Maybe?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah. Bastila's role in the game was originally supposed to be filled by Vima Sunrider, the daughter of Nomi, but Jeep had 'Sunrider' trademarked and that was apparently enough to scare Bioware off having her in any major role.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I kinda wish at that point they had moved the timeline up a millennium or so -- Without Vima there's nothing really connecting KOTOR to TOTJ, and so you've got the TOTJ ancient-looking ships and technology giving way to prequel-era Star Wars aesthetics in just about 20 years.

Alternatively they could have gone whole hog and given KOTOR the TOTJ aesthetic, but from a brand recognition perspective I get why that's a nonstarter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know it couldn't be any worse than Bioware's art style. Weird tall mast ships in space would be nice and different than further attempts by Bioware to make the worst looking helmets in gaming history.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

While I agree that most of the KOTOR designs are a bit bland I do think the Hammerhead design is iconic, and seeing it show up in a live action Star Wars movie was definitely a highlight of Rogue One. I also like the Nihilus star destroyer design from KOTOR II as a good take on the star destroyer aesthetic.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I am sitting with my 9 year old Japanese son in Japan building Lego Star Wars like you do, and he out of the blue asks me in Japanese...

"What is Palpatine son's name again?"

I am thinking from Rise of the Skywalker. So I say I don't know. My son says,

"No, the guy with three eyes."

I stop stunned. And say "huh?" My son continues...

"With one eye on the back of his head."

I stammer "Triclops?"

My son's face lights lights up, "Yeah! Trioculus was the fake one with the Moff."

Mystified as to where my son learned this forbidden knowledge in Japanese in Japan, I asked him...

"I read it in a book from the school library."

So school age children in Japan have access to Bantam era Star Wars character encyclopedias that have been translated in Japanese. :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Essential Guide to Characters?