Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

i say swears online posted:

that was after everyone in ken's office resigned, right

yes, the exonerating report was theoretically written by their replacements. I say "theoretically" because the report is unsigned and unattributed to any person. so it is also possible that nobody actually wrote the report, it just appeared fully formed in ken's office one day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Half of everyone's tax dollars go to pay for stuff they don't like. Though, only Republicans seem to get their way on it. "I don't want my tax dollars paying for abortions" well I don't want my tax dollars paying for Lockheed board of directors bonuses or private prisons

I certainly don't want to pay for Ken Paxton to continue to evade the law through endless venue fuckery but here we are

https://twitter.com/taygoldenstein/status/1435854052835930112

They need to be more clear about which criminal case. Is this the old infinitely delayed securities fraud case, or the more recent infinitely delayed real estate/bribery/whatever case? Like, the man has multiple completely unrelated pending criminal cases against him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's only one case-case, that's the securities fraud one. The bribery "case" right now is supposedly only an FBI investigation for now (the FBI doesn't say if they are investigating someone or not but that's what all the sources say)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nebraska released their congressional map today. where's my map, greg

edit: i have congressional districts, greg. can you gerrymander me?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1436043872782651402

Obviously the feds have to do something but it irks me that this is exactly what state leadership wants. They love fighting with the feds, it's their favorite thing to do, and it plays so well with their base.

nebraska released their congressional map today. where's my map, greg

edit: i have congressional districts, greg. can you gerrymander me?

It's gonna be so bad.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

It's gonna be so bad.

does austin get packed into one 90% dem district and four blood-red ones in the 'burbs or do we get split 7 ways

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's been their practice to crack Austin so I expect that to continue

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

does austin get packed into one 90% dem district and four blood-red ones in the 'burbs or do we get split 7 ways

6 ways, one for each letter in Austin.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

There's only one case-case, that's the securities fraud one. The bribery "case" right now is supposedly only an FBI investigation for now (the FBI doesn't say if they are investigating someone or not but that's what all the sources say)

Ah I see. Thank you. Sad state of things that needs to be clarified.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

zoux posted:

Obviously the feds have to do something but it irks me that this is exactly what state leadership wants. They love fighting with the feds, it's their favorite thing to do, and it plays so well with their base.

It's gonna be so bad.

Here's the complaint: https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/21060095/9-9-21-us-v-texas-complaint.pdf

Legato
Jul 7, 2004

Un cave troll espectacular!
Merrick Garland seems like a smart dude and there's assuredly been a lot of thought put into how to word/structure this so that it has the highest chance of acceptance/getting the result we want from the Supreme Court. WE GOTTA PROTECT THE CONSTITUTION! A ray of hope, doomgoons.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
you think the court cares about that in a majority?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Legato posted:

Merrick Garland seems like a smart dude and there's assuredly been a lot of thought put into how to word/structure this so that it has the highest chance of acceptance/getting the result we want from the Supreme Court. WE GOTTA PROTECT THE CONSTITUTION! A ray of hope, doomgoons.

Buddy, I don't know if you've been watching either the Garland Justice Department or the Supreme Court this year, but if not, don't google anything either of these institutions have done recently. Just keep living in your current headspace for as long as you can.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No one who no longer lives here gets to doompost about Texas :colbert:

Legato
Jul 7, 2004

Un cave troll espectacular!

PostNouveau posted:

Buddy, I don't know if you've been watching either the Garland Justice Department or the Supreme Court this year, but if not, don't google anything either of these institutions have done recently. Just keep living in your current headspace for as long as you can.

Eh, the Supreme Court avoided a decision on this using their ONE WEIRD TRICK defense, but it doesn't seem like that's going to fly for how this is being structured. If the Supreme Court goes ahead and uses the nuclear option of overturning Roe, that would be devastating of course. The optimist would tell you that this would be the reason that Biden would finally have to pack the courts, but even I'm not that optimistic.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Legato posted:

Eh, the Supreme Court avoided a decision on this using their ONE WEIRD TRICK defense, but it doesn't seem like that's going to fly for how this is being structured. If the Supreme Court goes ahead and uses the nuclear option of overturning Roe, that would be devastating of course. The optimist would tell you that this would be the reason that Biden would finally have to pack the courts, but even I'm not that optimistic.

Friend, I hate to break this to you, but if you can watch SCOTUS nullify Roe in the state of Texas and still tell yourself that Roe is fine and the system is still working in good faith, then you are the mark in the con that SCOTUS is running.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Half of everyone's tax dollars go to pay for stuff they don't like. Though, only Republicans seem to get their way on it. "I don't want my tax dollars paying for abortions" well I don't want my tax dollars paying for Lockheed board of directors bonuses or private prisons

That's my point and why I always bring it up. I'm sick of Republicans dominating that narrative and somehow getting away with claiming fiscal responsibility because they care about tax dollars when it comes to a new mom getting a few more months of health care she needs, but not when we're just paying infinite dollars to attorneys to defend lovely laws or make a border wall entirely out of hundred dollar bills. Republicans are never ever asked to answer for their exorbitant wasteful spending.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I agree entirely.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

zoux posted:

It's gonna be so bad.

I think we settled what the Federal govt can and can't do in 1865

also lmao look at this giant loving dork
https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1436090896962002946?s=20

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

As a rule of thumb, Republicans pay more to get less done, but the fact that people are worse off is taken as proof of fiscal responsibility, because nobody actually checks the budget, but everyone will whine about people getting benefits from the government.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Let’s check in with our new gun laws here in Texas that prevent hotels from barring guns —

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1435402821084475396?s=21

Don’t worry folks. We were assured in this very thread the bill was just theater and would cause no problems.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Captain Monkey posted:

Don’t worry folks. We were assured in this very thread the bill was just theater and would cause no problems.

Well, the murder victim wasn't pregnant, therefore I'm not sure that this counts as an abortion. I'm not sure that I see the problem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

Let’s check in with our new gun laws here in Texas that prevent hotels from barring guns —

They weren't even guests at the hotel, genius. He shot her within 5 minutes of arriving, it might as well have been a bank lobby or car dealership showroom.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
yeah i usually head into a bank lobby with my suitcase with the intent to check into a room, you're right zoux, sorry i said the law was bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This dude wasnt waiting for legal permission to murder suicide his wife in a hotel lobby. Do you even know if this hotel had to rescind a policy against handguns because of the law?

e: also i wasn't even talking about this law, this is the first I've heard of it. I was talking about con carry. You know my argument on that, you can agree or disagree with that, but this incident doesn't have anything to do with it

zoux fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 10, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

This dude wasnt waiting for legal permission to murder suicide his wife in a hotel lobby. Do you even know if this hotel had to rescind a policy against handguns because of the law?

e: also i wasn't even talking about this law, this is the first I've heard of it. I was talking about con carry. You know my argument on that, you can agree or disagree with that, but this incident doesn't have anything to do with it

Every major hotel chain has a policy against guns. And there is a direct correlation between 'guns can go in hotels now' -> 'I will pack my handgun during my trip' -> 'gun used in violence' - that said, you're right you were talking about a different law.

So my bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well! Then.

To be clear I don't like these laws at all, I am not a guns right guy, I think the Second Amendment should be repealed. I just don't think they change the status quo much, and I don't think that they're going to lead to an insane uptick in gun violence.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Captain Monkey posted:

Lets check in with our new gun laws here in Texas that prevent hotels from barring guns

Dont worry folks. We were assured in this very thread the bill was just theater and would cause no problems.

There isn't enough detail in the article to know if the law had an effect. If the shooter was obviously armed, then yeah, the law prevented the private business from making its own rules. If no one could see he was armed, it goes back to the "would the murderer have murdered when he risked a small fine."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Marriott should really consider banning murder on its premises.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Captain Monkey posted:

If only we made murder more illegal. Where are the Dems on this??

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If people aren't allowed to just carry guns everywhere they want for a quick murder, then the presence of a gun can be a warning sign people could take precautions against and head off problems before people die, or at the very least murderers would have some kind of delay or hoops to jump through which could screw up their plans. And they'd have to make plans if they were gonna go kill somebody instead of just doing it on the spur of the moment after an offhand thought or getting a bit emotional.

If there's just guns everywhere all the time, then all that's between everything being alright and somebody being dead is the second between someone drawing and shooting.

It's pretty basic. Less restrictions lead to more deaths.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SlothfulCobra posted:

If people aren't allowed to just carry guns everywhere they want for a quick murder, then the presence of a gun can be a warning sign people could take precautions against and head off problems before people die, or at the very least murderers would have some kind of delay or hoops to jump through which could screw up their plans. And they'd have to make plans if they were gonna go kill somebody instead of just doing it on the spur of the moment after an offhand thought or getting a bit emotional.

If there's just guns everywhere all the time, then all that's between everything being alright and somebody being dead is the second between someone drawing and shooting.

It's pretty basic. Less restrictions lead to more deaths.

Literally all restrictions in the US, either currently existing or feasible within the modern political context, either amount to corporate rear end covering (you can't sue us because a customer did a homicide!) or ineffectual culture war bullshit where the chuds are owning the libs by allowing open carry katanas or the libs are owning the chuds by making their AR stocks sligjtly uncomfortable.

Hence the jokes. We're aware.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Marxalot posted:

If only we made murder more illegal. Where are the Dems on this??

Greg Abbot just outlawed rape after all, shame he’s more progressive!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

Every major hotel chain has a policy against guns.

100% false. I have pistols all over the place here. National chains are franchised and leave rules up to owners

also even if we have a poster up, once again I'm now the enforcement officer. I hate it

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Lol, go get your AR over the vaccine mandate Stupid Snake, you're already just another RINO Traitor to your buddies, they'll put your rear end against the wall first just like they tried to do on Jan 6.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ngl my greatest hope for a blue Texas is now Twitter and Facebook IP-blocking anyone from Texas

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

100% false. I have pistols all over the place here. National chains are franchised and leave rules up to owners

also even if we have a poster up, once again I'm now the enforcement officer. I hate it

Huh, my mistake. I was sure Hilton/Marriott had general policies against it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Baylor/status/1436389643679850497?s=20

this is very sad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They turned their noses up at UH and Cincy for sure a couple of years ago when they decided against expanding. Had they done that, and kept a conference championship, this might not be happening in the first place. Oh well enjoy the Mormons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AKMcGlinchy/status/1436336439575330818?s=20

also good article