Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I wonder what they will do with stilling and people not recognizing Siuan.

I doubt they will bother doing anything at all, unless the actor wants to move on to something else. It's such a minor point, and they can use disguises, hoods, etc. Once they are outside of the Tower, very few people would actually know what the Amrylin looks like. The only affected plot point would be the Gareth Bryne situation, but that's super easy to either cut or change.\

I'm glad they aren't trying to do the 'agelessness' thing. That's something that works okay in book descriptions, but trying to apply to a visual medium would very likely look so artificial that it would make no sense that an Aes Sedai can go undercover.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, some aspects of the universe are almost laughably difficult to pull off in a live-action adaptation, and are hardly essential to the story. I feel like there's one of those 2D graphs on a whiteboard in the studio where one axis is "easy to film" and the other is "matters to the story" and all the dots that are close to the origin just get dropped and/or replaced with *gasp* other ideas

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Siuan's actress will be changed to Daphne Maxwell Reid.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Lean right into it and have her stilled self played by a flaming redhead ultra-pale woman, then when she gets her channeling back she's just suddenly Sophie again. No acknowledgement or even mention.

We aren’t this lucky but it would be an amazing gimmick

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Not So Fast posted:

Siuan's actress will be changed to Daphne Maxwell Reid.

could also replace her with Michiel Huisman

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

eke out posted:

i feel like just have her no longer dress like the most powerful person in the world and change the hair and makeup a little and it'll be easy enough

you don't have to do the Younger part specifically, it's easy to have someone you only encounter in the context of highly formal positions of power look totally different dressed like a normal person (like when you see pictures of some celeb walking around unmade up in normal clothes)

So the Morgase Strategy then. :v:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lord Awkward posted:

Mat gets on his horse to leave, and then condense his entire Escape From Cairhien heroic victory to a few minutes at 8x speed and overlaid with him continuously cursing oh no oh bloody ashes oh flaming light.

Hard stop with him sitting at the fire looking dazed with everyone cheering and Couladin's head on the pole.

but this is probably best

lolling at it being like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30yNlAHXVzQ

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Syncopated posted:

There’s an actual chance we get Mat beating the douche bros in the Tower and that should be enough for anyone imho.

Ideally Mat beats Gawyn so hard that he disappears from the rest of the story.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I imagine they'll just ignore it for the sake of simplicity.

Alternatively they could add in something new - if you've been stilled channelers have a hard time recognizing/remembering you but generally no one has lived post-stilling long enough to have it be widely known.

Kind of related question - children of people who have been stilled generally have a higher probability of being channelers, right?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Khizan posted:

Ideally Mat beats Gawyn so hard that he disappears from the rest of the story.

light willing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mat Cauthon posted:

I imagine they'll just ignore it for the sake of simplicity.

Alternatively they could add in something new - if you've been stilled channelers have a hard time recognizing/remembering you but generally no one has lived post-stilling long enough to have it be widely known.

Kind of related question - children of people who have been stilled generally have a higher probability of being channelers, right?

I believe so, channeling is at least partially genetic and stilling is the equivalent of cutting their arms off so they can't pick things up any more.

Randland's been aggressively culling the population of strong channelers for millennia by killing or stilling the men who spark (and keeping them under house arrest) and by all the Aes Sedai culturally not having kids.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I don't think the idea of channelling ability being genetic/heritable is ever confirmed in the text. It's a theory that a few Aes Sedai have, and it makes sense with the earlier drafts of the story (wherein men who could channel were castrated as well as severed from the source), but the decline of the Tower's numbers is just as well explained by cultural factors. (See: just how much the rebel tower's novice book swells when they begin active recruitment and drop the age limit.)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think it is reasonable to assume it's genetic but specifically the Aes Sedai numbers are dwindling because they're the only channelers that both halve their lifespan, don't have kids, and are dumb about recruitment.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

If they could pull it off, it'd be amazing, but it might be too much of a tonal shift to really work.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gwaihir posted:

I think it is reasonable to assume it's genetic but specifically the Aes Sedai numbers are dwindling because they're the only channelers that both halve their lifespan, don't have kids, and are dumb about recruitment.

I think they do have kids though, like usually they don't get married or stay married, and obviously they're not having kids throughout their life even though they probably stay fertile for like 300 years, but I feel like we've had internal monologues from even a Red who get to talking about husbands and outliving their kids.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I think they do have kids though, like usually they don't get married or stay married, and obviously they're not having kids throughout their life even though they probably stay fertile for like 300 years, but I feel like we've had internal monologues from even a Red who get to talking about husbands and outliving their kids.

They outlive their siblings and nieces and nephews, that comes up a lot but otherwise the Aes Sedai generally don't marry or have kids. They know they're going to outlive spouses and kids, and that's not something people generally want to do. It's not like it doesn't happen, but most avoid it.

All the other groups of channelers do, but I think the reason we think it's dying out is because we only hear from the Aes Sedai about it. The Aiel and the Windfinders are very clear, every woman who can channel is found and trained and they have a lot of channelers compared to the Aes Sedai. It's really just the Aes Sedai being dipshits that they think channeling is dying out because they refuse to actively recruit, or even just put out a sign saying "Free testing to see if you can channel here".

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

seaborgium posted:

They outlive their siblings and nieces and nephews, that comes up a lot but otherwise the Aes Sedai generally don't marry or have kids. They know they're going to outlive spouses and kids, and that's not something people generally want to do. It's not like it doesn't happen, but most avoid it.

All the other groups of channelers do, but I think the reason we think it's dying out is because we only hear from the Aes Sedai about it. The Aiel and the Windfinders are very clear, every woman who can channel is found and trained and they have a lot of channelers compared to the Aes Sedai. It's really just the Aes Sedai being dipshits that they think channeling is dying out because they refuse to actively recruit, or even just put out a sign saying "Free testing to see if you can channel here".

We know in general the amount of Aes Sedai is dwindling and that the people they are getting aren't as strong as they used to be in aggregate. New Spring goes into it quite a bit.

Now they're definitely missing a lot of girls like Nynaeve and Egwene who are born in the middle of places no Aes Sedai has been in centuries. But there are clearly some areas they're actively recruiting in/monitoring and the effects of taking the strongest sparkers from those places has seemingly driven down the overall pool.

It'd be fascinating to see how the White/Black Towers arms race turned out with the explosion of recruiting new channelers in the 4th Age.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Zore posted:

It'd be fascinating to see how the White/Black Towers arms race turned out with the explosion of recruiting new channelers in the 4th Age.

It's really not going to be an arms race though, Cadsuane leads the White Tower and Egwene dreamed of a full tower united. My assumption is a lot more cross-bonding take place between Black Tower and Aes Sedai leadership right away and a hundred years down the line they just merge.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 11, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I also vaguely got the impression that the Black would become the Guardians, open to both men and women, and the White the Servants, again open to all. You'd probably see what was the Green and Red go to the Guardians, with the rest being more suited to servant roles.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It's really not going to be an arms race though, Cadsuane leads the White Tower and Egwene dreamed of a full tower united. My assumption is a lot more cross-bonding take place between Black Tower and Aes Sedai leadership right away and a hundred years down the line they just merge.

I meant more their arms race as a bulwark against the Seanchan and what kinds of political necessities would shape a world where both men and women can freely channel again.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It's kind of hard to blame the Aes Sedai for being ineffectual as an institution when they were so hopelessly compromised by Darkfriends.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Colonel Cool posted:

It's kind of hard to blame the Aes Sedai for being ineffectual as an institution when they were so hopelessly compromised by Darkfriends.

This is really funny in hindsight, like, literally 20% of all known AS in the book era were loving sworn to destroying the institution and freeing satan lmao.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Colonel Cool posted:

Aes Sedai were def a pointed critique of powerful bureaucracies tho. It was one of the best things about the seris. The fact that the Aes Sedai literally bound themselves by magic to not lie, and everyone els being weirded out that theres a group of powerful wizards weird enough to do that

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
People were weirded out that wizards exist in general, in such a mundane world at series start. The "cannot tell a lie" aspect gave them their credibility and power, Egwene was right.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think the other view is right. It seperated thems from average ppl. They literally live in a marble tower

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, it gave them power in comparison to the other groups of channelers who... Didn't have any power? let's tell a wise one that to their face

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 11, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, with the exception of the Seanchan's Damane literally every other cultural group across the world both respects channelers more and has them better integrated into society.

Except maybe the dudes down in Australia who missed the who end of the world thing.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The sul'dam are pretty respected. :haw:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Colonel Cool posted:

The sul'dam are pretty respected. :haw:

It's why I specified the Damane rather than Seanchan as a whole :v:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

How are u posted:

People were weirded out that wizards exist in general, in such a mundane world at series start. The "cannot tell a lie" aspect gave them their credibility and power, Egwene was right.

that's literally the opposite of the series examples lol. The other randland groups of channeling women all hold exceptionally high positions in their societies and command universal respect. It's not a subtle message!!!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gwaihir posted:

that's literally the opposite of the series examples lol. The other randland groups of channeling women all hold exceptionally high positions in their societies and command universal respect. It's not a subtle message!!!

They do, but all of them can lie. The Aes Sedai are something different, and it matters.

Aborted
Aug 7, 2007

Boba Fatt
Am I wrong, or is it all the people that were part of Hawkwing empire that have all the issues with the people who channel.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

Yeah, with the exception of the Seanchan's Damane literally every other cultural group across the world both respects channelers more and has them better integrated into society.

Except maybe the dudes down in Australia who missed the who end of the world thing.

Kinda cheesed we never get to learn anything about them. Three thousand years is a bit too long to just "never get over" the breaking of the world. I think Jordan originally intended them to be a source of the darkfriend armies at the end of the series, kind of like how the armies of Sauron came from the lands to the south or something in Lord of the Rings.

Aborted posted:

Am I wrong, or is it all the people that were part of Hawkwing empire that have all the issues with the people who channel.

On screen, that leaves the Sea Folk, the Aiel, and the Aes Sedai themselves.

A few others are briefly talked about, but they never really have a presence.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Kinda cheesed we never get to learn anything about them. Three thousand years is a bit too long to just "never get over" the breaking of the world. I think Jordan originally intended them to be a source of the darkfriend armies at the end of the series, kind of like how the armies of Sauron came from the lands to the south or something in Lord of the Rings.

I mean, that's basically Shara. They get like a dozen vague references before the last battle and then boom, they're there.

Also, Aes Sedai are doing better than the Sharan and Seanchan channelers, so they're doing something right.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 11, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

How are u posted:

The "cannot tell a lie" aspect gave them their credibility and power, Egwene was right.

The Three Oaths meant that nobody trusted Aes Sedai. Their inability to lie meant that every word that came out of their mouth was examined to death. Everybody knew that their words only had to be technically correct and so everybody always looking for the trick. True words spoken out of context to mislead. The important bit that got omitted to change the meaning. There's also an aspect of it where the fact that you had to swear a magically binding oath about it is suspicious in and of itself. There's an implication there that "Aes Sedai must really want to lie, otherwise they wouldn't need to swear that oath".

The Aes Sedai are trusted far less than the Windfinders and the Wise Ones, and the Three Oaths are part of it, imo.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I'd point to the fact that all the other channeling organizations have smaller spheres of influence They basically only serve their own homogenous societies, where the Aes Sedai are more like the UN.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Also nobody trusted aes.sedai because they broke the world and channeled openly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also nobody trusted aes.sedai because they broke the world and channeled openly.

That's not really why. Historically they were way more trusted in the third age and it was mostly down to darkfriends, Ishy making them top of his 'to gently caress with' list every time he got out of the bore and Hawkwing going absolutely above and beyond Ishy's wildest dreams and crippling public perception.

Hawkwing's big heel turn and siege of Tar Valon seems to have been what really did irreparable damage to their legacy and public perception considering how it rippled down through both Randland and Seanchan. Remember before Hawkwing you had full on no-poo poo Aes Sedai as rulers of countries (Manetheran), the tower's population was 5-10x as large as it is in the present and more Aes Sedai were out, and biggest of all there was still probably a lot of cultural cache from how pivotal they were in the Trolloc wars.

The Great Hunt even argues the Three Oaths mostly exist in their current form as a reaction to some of Hawkwing's more insidious propaganda, I believe they added the 'make no weapon for one man to kill another' part specifically because of him.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Zore posted:

The Great Hunt even argues the Three Oaths mostly exist in their current form as a reaction to some of Hawkwing's more insidious propaganda, I believe they added the 'make no weapon for one man to kill another' part specifically because of him.

Huh. I thought they were a relic of the Trolloc Wars, specifically? I'm not familiar with the connection to Hawkwing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Vavrek posted:

Huh. I thought they were a relic of the Trolloc Wars, specifically? I'm not familiar with the connection to Hawkwing.

Looks like I was mis-remembering a bit.

quote:

MARIA SIMONS
From the BBoBA: "These oaths were not always required, but various events before and since the Breaking caused them to be necessary. The Second Oath was the first adopted after the War of the Shadow."

And according to Sheriam, "Once, Aes Sedai were not required to swear oaths. It was known what Aes Sedai were and what they stood for, and there was no need for more. Many of us wish it were so still. But the Wheel turns, and the times change. That we swear these oaths, that we are known to be bound, allows the nations to deal with us without fearing that we will throw up our own power, the One Power, against them. Between the Trolloc Wars and the War of the Hundred Years we made these choices, and because of them the White Tower still stands, and we can still do what we can against the Shadow."

From the Gathering Storm press tour. I thought it said they were locked in because of the War of the Hundred Years not nebulously between the Trolloc Wars and then.