Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i have a pair programming “challenge” next friday, for an american software company. it’s 40 minutes long, and in python. i will appreciate any pointers for interview preparation materials, like list of hottest leet code challenges or algorithms people would expect you to implement in something like this, or anything else that comes to your mind

what kind of figgies are they paying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

champagne posting posted:

what kind of figgies are they paying?

american, otherwise i’d yolo it like every other interview in my life

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

if it doesn't pan out come join me in freelance consultancy mecca, Denmark

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive been doing that out of latvia yeah, its like less marketed estonia that is actually even easier to get business poo poo going. i did get vat registered llc with a bank account open for 804 euro in basically a business day, where my expenses were 1 euro for founding capital, 3 euro for state newspaper announcement of company registration, and 800 euro to a law firm because i didn’t want to do anything myself. that number also includes legal review and partial rewrite of 20 page contract the first client sent me

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ive been doing that out of latvia yeah, its like less marketed estonia that is actually even easier to get business poo poo going. i did get vat registered llc with a bank account open for 804 euro in basically a business day, where my expenses were 1 euro for founding capital, 3 euro for state newspaper announcement of company registration, and 800 euro to a law firm because i didn’t want to do anything myself. that number also includes legal review and partial rewrite of 20 page contract the first client sent me

what's making you stop? Also what is the rate for software consultants in ... actually where were your clients?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what's making you stop? Also what is the rate for software consultants in ... actually where were your clients?

nothing is stopping me, this is another remote gig im looking to line up - it’s a staff position, rather than a single tech project engagement. the latter im not a fan of.

i position myself as “data consultant”, and aim at benelux/germany/english countries - with respective rates, of course

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

this is the hell that microservices architects want

e: "this man says you tricked him into writing 1000 different rest endpoints, is that true?". "yeah? So what. I have three cats to feed"

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
A coworker just came to me and demanded I "roast [his] pom".

Do I need to get HR involved?

mystes
May 31, 2006

MrQueasy posted:

A coworker just came to me and demanded I "roast [his] pom".

Do I need to get HR involved?
Are they asking for a critique or a book burning?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Microsoft was at NYSE this week for some interview that is lost to Google. Rare instance of showing Nasdaq companies at NYSE. And I get the call that poo poo isn’t working, managed to “fix” the issue 30s before the cameras came on.

Junior developers reinventing things badly was the cause.

Time seems to be slowing for my colleagues, coming up to three weeks for one person to upgrade a VM from Ubuntu 18.04.3 to Ubuntu 18.04.5.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I used to work on a project for the Navy, and there were several times when we were still hacking on the code mere moments before a captain or admiral was due to walk in for a demo.

There was also the time during a demo where it crashed, and so what was projected up on the big screen was the terminal the program was started from, and the last line in the window was "gently caress".

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Presto posted:

I used to work on a project for the Navy, and there were several times when we were still hacking on the code mere moments before a captain or admiral was due to walk in for a demo.

There was also the time during a demo where it crashed, and so what was projected up on the big screen was the terminal the program was started from, and the last line in the window was "gently caress".

I did air force contracting early in my career and had something like this, except it was some weird political thing where the USAF head honchos running the project just didn't like our company/team and wanted the contract to go somewhere else when our company won it. I don't really know the details other than it sounded like they wanted to tank the project, which was a relatively small contract. I was like a year out of college at the time.

Anyways, one way they tried to make us look like fools was to just drop in on my office one day with like 4-5 people from their department, and request a demo with no advance knowledge, and ask if they could sit at my desk to interact with the software I was writing. It obviously was mid-development and worked like poo poo. (In hindsight that was one of the shittiest, pettiest, and most unprofessional moves I've seen in my career.)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"our company [a leading apparel retailer] does not use any third party libraries at all for hipaa compliance reasons" oooookay, have a life

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Gazpacho posted:

"our company [a leading apparel retailer] does not use any third party libraries at all for hipaa compliance reasons" oooookay, have a life

Probably the same section of the Venn diagram that includes those moving everything to random language: Swift, and Erlang spring to mind.

One must have no deadlines and a big team to attempt any of that, it doesn’t seem conducive to bring developers that can actually achieve that though?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the bigger question is just why an apparel retailer can't use third party libraries because of HIPAA?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It does seem more of an excuse for NIH than a real driver. Most apparel companies are super cheap, how the CEO and CFO lets that fly.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
my reading is that person heard they use vendoring and don't allow 3rd party updates directly and mistook it for not using 3rd party libs.

i highly doubt they wrote their own bootstrap.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it’s not really bootstrapping if you just take something that’s handed to you

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

inventing my own bootstrap to avoid owning the libs

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

:golfclap:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MrMoo posted:

Probably the same section of the Venn diagram that includes those moving everything to random language: Swift, and Erlang spring to mind.

One must have no deadlines and a big team to attempt any of that, it doesn’t seem conducive to bring developers that can actually achieve that though?
my take is that the company uses a vendor and that vendor has created an ideology that justifies billing more

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

MrMoo posted:

Swift isn’t really a random language unless you are expecting to have a good time using it for non-Apple related uses (or you mean that other Swift language).

(We did have one person who wanted to write a new project entirely in Swift 1.0 when it first came out. They were so adamant about it they left the company over it after politely being told it was a terrible idea).

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

it would be pretty hard to even build a swift 1.0 app right now, wouldn't it? maybe there's One Cool Trick I don't know of but IME the "Swift" is for how fast they break compatibility.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Pulcinella posted:

(We did have one person who wanted to write a new project entirely in Swift 1.0 when it first came out. They were so adamant about it they left the company over it after politely being told it was a terrible idea).

what the gently caress, how did they come to that conclusion

square bracket hatred?

cool av posted:

it would be pretty hard to even build a swift 1.0 app right now, wouldn't it? maybe there's One Cool Trick I don't know of but IME the "Swift" is for how fast they break compatibility.

it's been good for a few years now, but 1.0-3.0 was rough iirc

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
you literally can't compile swift 1.0 without a machine running a significantly out of date version of macos. the last version of xcode which supported it doesn't work on big sur.

swift's been good about iterating on the language without breaking everything ever since 4.0, but it was painful up to that point.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

pokeyman posted:

what the gently caress, how did they come to that conclusion

square bracket hatred?

He came from web dev and was incredibly comfortable with jumping between LatestFad.js

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
now I feel silly for not guessing that

I wasn't that bad, but I started banging the drum for swift at work by swift 3.0. I expected to meet resistance so I figured I'd start a little early, then I encountered no resistance and completely played myself

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pokeyman posted:

now I feel silly for not guessing that

I wasn't that bad, but I started banging the drum for swift at work by swift 3.0. I expected to meet resistance so I figured I'd start a little early, then I encountered no resistance and completely played myself

the migration tools in xcode worked surprisingly well for me, but i don't have any projects with a very large codebase

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Pulcinella posted:

Swift isn’t really a random language unless you are expecting to have a good time using it for non-Apple related uses (or you mean that other Swift language).

IBM came out of the gate with support on zOS or something, implying it could be used as a generic language for things

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

code:

catch(Exception ex)
{
//Catch exception
throw new Application Exception("Failed to do Foo",ex);
}

:thunk:

I'm pretty sure this was me because this thing was a really shoddy wcf service based spa that was literally the first piece of "real" code I touched. and here I am years later getting trolled by my own code.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

A good one I saw today was

code:
bool IsFooBar()
Which sleep-loops until Foo is Bar.

A declarative name innit.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
26 files changed, 4637 insertions(+), 3970 deletions(-)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

DoomTrainPhD posted:

26 files changed, 4637 insertions(+), 3970 deletions(-)

Approved

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

1 nit, otherwise lgtm

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It would have been over 1000 more deletions than insertions, but code formatting stopped that from happening. :smith:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DoomTrainPhD posted:

It would have been over 1000 more deletions than insertions, but code formatting stopped that from happening. :smith:

we can’t really stop you from doing a separate merge request for code formatting

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Forgot formatting sorry, can I get those two approves again?...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

we can’t really stop you from doing a separate merge request for code formatting

but we can ignore that merge request