Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gently caress. I might have to dig up that effort post from the NAS thread / my notes where I evaluated every single mATX option (Node 804 case) that would give me the peRfeCt ESXi host to do everything I wanted. My current system would be perfect if 1) I stopped working long enough to bring it up and 2) Supermicro didn't gently caress me on the X11SSL and not power the iGPU, meaning I can never QuickSync video. I just want an rear end-ton of PCIe lanes (NVMe hello!), on-board SAS3008 / or enough spare PCIe slots to get my Chelsio NICs / HBA / etc in.

But, insert argument here now about how there's enough CPU power to transcode a pile of streams and I only realistically have like... 2 users, and a 45 Mbit upstream and it's all really a moot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

movax posted:

gently caress. I might have to dig up that effort post from the NAS thread / my notes where I evaluated every single mATX option (Node 804 case) that would give me the peRfeCt ESXi host to do everything I wanted. My current system would be perfect if 1) I stopped working long enough to bring it up and 2) Supermicro didn't gently caress me on the X11SSL and not power the iGPU, meaning I can never QuickSync video. I just want an rear end-ton of PCIe lanes (NVMe hello!), on-board SAS3008 / or enough spare PCIe slots to get my Chelsio NICs / HBA / etc in.

But, insert argument here now about how there's enough CPU power to transcode a pile of streams and I only realistically have like... 2 users, and a 45 Mbit upstream and it's all really a moot point.
More packratting for the packratting gods! :unsmigghh:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'm on a Node 804 until I get my 3U DAS SAS machine setup and let me tell you that I dearly miss my hot swap bays when I'm trying to change out a bad hard drive. I am also definitely regretting not labeling my hard drives before putting them in. I'm hoping that I won't have any problems with it until I get my new array worked out. The U-NAS case I had before was decommissioned in a frantic week after enough mechanical issues, my PSU failing for the _third_ time, and the backplane getting wonky after almost a decade of crappy closets and basements. There was literally rust on some of these parts.

I'm going to cannibalize my current X570 based workstation to be my new home server when I do a refresh in a year or so. I'm also a madman and have managed to successfully use my old NUC with the Thunderbolt eGPU enclosure to run with my SAS HBA to the 3U DAS. I'm really impressed that it worked without any hitches in my Ubuntu 20.04 LTS setup. I will probably regret this but I'm going to see how far this Rube Goldberg NAS topology can go, dammit.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Another Alder Lake leak:

https://sakhtafzarmag.com/%D9%82%DB...86%D8%AA%D9%84/

Core i9 12900K - 8C+8c - $599
Core i9 12900 - 8C+8c - $509
Core i7 12700K - 8C+4c - $429
Core i7 12700 - 8C+4c - $359
Core i5 12600K - 6C+4c - $279
Core i5 12600 - 6C+0c - $249
Core i5 12400 - 6C+0c - $209

Supposed Cinebench results:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That graph header formatting seems pretty suspicious, but it'll be cool if true.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
The graphs in that article are hosed, the y-axes are all over the place. Still, looks like an 18% single core improvement.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's good that the 12600K will be less than $300 but I mourn the death of the sub-$200 CPU.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
oh ffs the 12400 isn't going to have little cores? succ

also, those Cinebench numbers are for R23

I looked up techpowerup's review of the i5-11400 and they have a single-core score of 1,543, and a multi-core score of 11,653 for the Ryzen 5 5600X, which seems to match that leak's chart roughly

looking at that chart for the i5-12600K:

1,900 for single-core
over 17,250; under 18,500 for multi-core

at 1,900 single-core that's completely past the scale: TPU has the i9-10900K at 1,371; the Ryzen 9 5950X at 1,658; the i9-11900K at 1,687

at 17,250 multi-core that's higher than the i9-10900K (14,319), the Ryzen 7 5800X (15,730), and the i9-11900K (16,190)
only the Ryzen 9 3900X (18,556), the Ryzen 9 5900X (21,707), and the Ryzen 9 5950X (25,916) post higher

that's... dang that's something, if true

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-11400f/6.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-11900k/7.html

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 11, 2021

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I can't get over the -4000 in that 2nd chart.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's good that the 12600K will be less than $300 but I mourn the death of the sub-$200 CPU.

Yeah, the 4C/8T i3s were an outstanding value that got completely overlooked by the Rocket Lake update.

Do we know that Alder Lake is not launching lower than i5? Is i3 and below going to be 14nm skylake / kaby / comet lake refreshes for all eternity?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

I can't get over the -4000 in that 2nd chart.
That's the best part, though!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, the 4C/8T i3s were an outstanding value that got completely overlooked by the Rocket Lake update.

Do we know that Alder Lake is not launching lower than i5? Is i3 and below going to be 14nm skylake / kaby / comet lake refreshes for all eternity?

the i9, i7, and i5 K models are launching this year

everything else, namely i3 models, non-K models, Pentiums (and presumably Celerons) are launching Q1 2022

there's still going to be an i3, but it's also only going to be a 4c8t model, just with Alder Lake's Golden Cove big cores. Obviously that's a significance performance bump over the last/current Comet Lake i3, but it also is kinda intriguing to me because an i3 is exactly the kind of thing that would show up on a lot of office/non-high-performance contexts where a little core might be useful, and yet those are the ones that are lacking it. I'm guessing it has to do with die space/die design.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Is there anything concrete on thermals/power consumption with alder lake? I'm not a fan of how much juice the current intels take, and how much heat they put out.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is there anything concrete on thermals/power consumption with alder lake? I'm not a fan of how much juice the current intels take, and how much heat they put out.

I would expect substantial efficiency gains as not only is there an IPC uplift but these will also be the first mainstream desktop chips made on 10 ESF / Intel 7.

How much juice they take just like the current generation will likely be down to the user, at least in DIY space. Long term power limit is exposed even on low end motherboards. If you have enough cooling and want to you'll probably be able to run them at 200+ watts. If you want a chip that stays at 65 watts you can probably do that too at the cost of some clock speed. Modern processors are all pretty much choose your own adventure with both Intel and AMD.

Flip side is because of the denser process they may be harder to cool at a given heatload than the 14nm chips. Thermal density and all that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

but op, number bigger is all that matters!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The leak suggested a PL2 of 228W (vs 251 for rocket lake) and the same PL1 as the last several generations, 125W. There are still the 65W parts available as always, but the clocks will be lower. If you want cool/silent, those are the parts.

Both AMD and Intel run their parts much further along the voltage/frequency curve than they used to, because they believe most DIY/gaming computer users don’t care about an extra 30-40W when they have a GPU pulling 300W+, and aren’t running them at max all core boost all day… and they are likely correct about that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

NUMBER BIGGER!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Cygni posted:

Both AMD and Intel run their parts much further along the voltage/frequency curve than they used to, because they believe most DIY/gaming computer users don’t care about an extra 30-40W when they have a GPU pulling 300W+, and aren’t running them at max all core boost all day… and they are likely correct about that.

I don't know how it is in the States, but here in the UK wholesale energy prices are going up through the roof this year (you can thank the most incompetent government since Eden for this, plus many many many more highly urgent & immediate problems facing our society right now) and it's something we think about more often than we typically like to

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Bad enough that they're rumored to be making the boxed coolers better, finally:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1436372862215106561

I'm the asterisk next to 65W

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

The 11400's MSRP is less than $200, in theory, making it a really great value too. Too bad only OEMs seem to have decent access to it. All X400 CPUs have been less than $200, until Alder Lake. It's just how it's going to be from now on. AMD already rose their prices for Zen 3 and Intel would be foolish not to follow suit to some degree (the 12600K seems like a potentially good value still, though).

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

Bad enough that they're rumored to be making the boxed coolers better, finally:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1436372862215106561

I'm the asterisk next to 65W

You know they're doing this only to put leds on their coolers lmao

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

A lot of articles popping up in my feed saying alder lake with ddr5 memory is worse for gaming than existing setups 😬
Apparently the bandwidth is very high but so is the latency, similar to the issues zen 1 had

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I havent seen any leaks about gaming specifically (links if ya got em?), but lots of stuff about this very likely being like every other DDR transition: at least at first, the cost/performance probably wont be worth it.

There are lots of DDR4 boards leaked for Alder Lake already though, so at least theres that!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The question is, are any of them based on data, or are they just the obvious predictions based on previous DDR transitions?

To some extent the memory controller will matter, but a lot of it is down to what the manufacturers are speccing and what the module manufacturers are willing to validate/warranty. Early on, it's not likely to be so hot.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Early on, it's not likely to be so hot.

well it might be hot in the other sense

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/corsair-ddr5-ram-requires-much-better-cooling/

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

People complaining about chipset fans will seem quaint with DDR6s 12mm ram fans (one per chip).

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

K8.0 posted:

The question is, are any of them based on data, or are they just the obvious predictions based on previous DDR transitions?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gear-4-mode-tested-on-alder-lake

I didn't look at it too closely but it seems like the memory controller can only clock so high. To facilitate RAM speeds beyond what it can manage, there are different gears. To run your RAM at extremely high speeds you would use gear 4, meaning the memory controller's clock ticks only once for every 4 RAM ticks. This seems to be the source of latency. The article notes that gear 2 lead to worse game performance on existing chips.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I just hope there will be temp read outs now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://videocardz.com/newz/specifications-of-intel-12th-gen-core-t-series-alder-lake-s-processors-have-been-leaked

There's been a leak of T-model Alder Lake CPUs. These are low-power variants designed to run at a TDP of just 35w.

This seemingly confirms that non-K i5 and i3 CPUs aren't going to have little cores

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

6c/12t at 35W tdp is not bad at all and a long time coming

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

6c/12t at 35W tdp is not bad at all and a long time coming

Haven't those been around forever? 8700T, 10700T was 8C/16T at 35W.

These are what's in boring corporate micro form factor desktops. My employer gets them in bulk for under $600 for complete machines, nvme drive and all in the 10600T config.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/129948/intel-core-i7-8700t-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-core-i9-12900k-shows-up-on-ashes-of-the-singularity-benchmark-website

Looks like someone was goofing with the clocks/timings on their new toy.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Someone also posted a 30k+ cinebench with 12900k. So it tops 5950x. We'll see how the 3D cache version from AMD works out.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

AMD was claiming 15% increased performance in gaming, so my guess is actually around 4-5% in reality.
Zen 4 itself is the one that's actually taking on alder-lake, I am not expecting zen 3+ to be competitive with it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

AMD was claiming 15% increased performance in gaming, so my guess is actually around 4-5% in reality.
Zen 4 itself is the one that's actually taking on alder-lake, I am not expecting zen 3+ to be competitive with it.

I wouldn't actually be surprised at a full 15%, most games loving love giant caches. iirc Intel's old Broadwell i7-5775-R punched way above it's weight for a long time because it had the 128mb L4 eDRAM on board to support the iris pro iGPU. I think it had dramatically better minimum frame times so things were generally smoother feeling, even if the maximums weren't way higher.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Digital Foundry did a comparison of the 5775 and a similar modern chip (same cores and L3 that is):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJaSCnVcCdQ

With clocks equalised, there isn't a lot of improvement considering the chips came out 5 years apart. As a bonus, there are also results for where they equalised the number of active cores on better 10th gen Intels, and the extra cache really did help games.

The issue I'd see with zen 3+ is the extra layer of cache means around 50% more silicon for only 15% more perf. The higher cost may not be worth it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Digital Foundry did a comparison of the 5775 and a similar modern chip (same cores and L3 that is):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJaSCnVcCdQ

With clocks equalised, there isn't a lot of improvement considering the chips came out 5 years apart. As a bonus, there are also results for where they equalised the number of active cores on better 10th gen Intels, and the extra cache really did help games.

The issue I'd see with zen 3+ is the extra layer of cache means around 50% more silicon for only 15% more perf. The higher cost may not be worth it.

Anandtech's Ian Cuttress seems to imply that the "cache" on Zen3+ appears to play a more important part in terms of topology and forming interconnects from core-to-core, which would imply that the actual "cache" is more a fringe benefit or camouflage than anything else. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8teWvMXK99I

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 25, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Might they utilize an older process for the cache portion to help save on costs? Unsure if they've said if the extra cache is going to be on-chip or on-die.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

Might they utilize an older process for the cache portion to help save on costs? Unsure if they've said if the extra cache is going to be on-chip or on-die.

I don't think they use an older process. The extra layer of cache is 64MB compared to the 32MB under it because the masks are totally optimised for SRAM cells. I don't think they'd double the density if they used a bigger node.

TSMC's stacking tech can have multiple layers, so you could imagine a solution where they use a stack of say 12nm cache instead of one 7nm layer. But I'd say power/heat becomes an issue with that approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
That makes sense, there are already libraries of sram cell designs for different purposes and tradeoffs. If the entire die is for cache, they can even use completely different processes, like what is the case for DRAM.

3D stacking had been around for a while in the pre- competitive research part of the industry. Cooling and power delivery always seemed like the big issues. It seems that AMD are the first to find a way to make it profitable. For some reason Intel wasn't.