Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

It’s wooden plank subflooring, sorry I forgot to mention that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ball Tazeman posted:

It’s wooden plank subflooring, sorry I forgot to mention that.

Is it hardwood or like the cheapest knotty pine they sell?

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Definitely the latter. It’s pretty knotted and soft.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Demo is done. Old tree stump is super rotten so no big deal there. Contractors are supposed to start on Tuesday! I'm so excited because the contract is an actual loving contract and not an ms word 5 lines of "will pour concrete"

I guess I should add the total cost for this undertaking.
-dumpster 1: 550
Dumpster 2: 500ish? Managed to fill another one completely.
-pair of gloves, completely trashed
-overheated my impact driver several times, but it still works fine?
-Sawzall ultimate demo blade, lived up to its name and served proudly
-several donuts to replace the calories I was burning

Still have to move the woodpile off the driveway which I'm not looking forward to. Might just have a bonfire.

NomNomNom fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 11, 2021

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Many of us who live in cold areas always wonder how tf deck laying on cinder blocks can even be legal.

Sincerely, frost heave.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I mean I live in 7b (northern virginia) and it does freeze (or at least it used to). This deck was just beyond janky.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

falz posted:

Many of us who live in cold areas always wonder how tf deck laying on cinder blocks can even be legal.

Sincerely, frost heave.

For my next trick I will dazzle you with the sights of my uninsulated copper water pipes! Outside! Buried a mere 18" into the ground!

Also its 101f outside right now.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Whew I felt guilty only going down 3.5' instead of 4' for some deck stairs posts last year.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

falz posted:

Sincerely, frost heave.

I grew up in Minnesota. Neighbors built a deck off their 2nd story. Contractor dug concrete footings and everything.

But they weren't deep enough. One of the posts heaved the first winter. Like, several inches. Very obvious, even from a distance.

Pretty sure the contractor never fixed it. I'd have been pissed. Still baffled that where I live in the southeast only requires basic concrete footers, which aren't 48" deep. Blows my Midwestern mind that the ground doesn'tove a poo poo ton throughout the year.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

NomNomNom posted:

falz posted:

Sincerely, frost heave.

Unless its the camera I see a nice wave in that deck, any further north and it would look like my neighbors deck where the kids could race hotwheels by letting them go.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What's the best way to seal around this gap between the hood duct and drywall? Will expanding foam work or would it just expand up? Is there some type of sturdy putty I can mold and shove up there?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PageMaster posted:

What's the best way to seal around this gap between the hood duct and drywall? Will expanding foam work or would it just expand up? Is there some type of sturdy putty I can mold and shove up there?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Fire-Barrier-10-1-oz-Red-Sanded-Paintable-Latex-Caulk/3372952

That will not only seal the gap but it will protect the penetration from any fire from the floor below.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Motronic posted:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Fire-Barrier-10-1-oz-Red-Sanded-Paintable-Latex-Caulk/3372952

That will not only seal the gap but it will protect the penetration from any fire from the floor below.

Thanks! Will that span a large opening(maybe a half inch to an inch in spots) or is special prep needed? Like maybe backer rod?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Thanks! Will that span a large opening(maybe a half inch to an inch in spots) or is special prep needed? Like maybe backer rod?

It will but it will make a mess. Until it's starting to set its very easy for gravity to pull it down. Put down some plastic sheets and have acetone + rag on hand. Wear eye protection, if any gets on your skin immediately stop what you're doing and hit it with acetone. Wear clothes you don't care about. You could try sticking the tube in the hole a bit facing away from the exhaust to get it started, let that set / expand, then give it another bead. No I haven't used expanding foam to fill gaps it shouldn't why would you ask that?

Or use a collar and caulk. It will take the same amount of time and be fine.

Both will keep bugs and draft out.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

If I'm caulking/spray foaming a gap like that where gravity is going to screw me, I'll sometimes use a fat strip of masking tape to create a shelf for the caulk to sit on until it cures. You can go bit by bit sticking small lengths of tape to hold it. Peels off when it's hard.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
This took me 5 goddamn hours, for various minute bullshit:

From the inside, couldn't get the hole saw all the way through the rim joist due to clearance between drill and block wall. Futzed around cobbling together an extension for my pilot bit to mark the outside. Took over an hour to drill and chisel the opening in the brick from the outside, then got to finish chiseling the joist out from the inside. Didn't have the right tapcons to secure the hood. Went to home depot, got tapcons and cheap Avanti bit. Broke Avanti bit on first hole. Back to home depot for tapcon brand bit. Finally get the hood in. Caulk it. Disconnect old bullshit on inside, blow it out. Get new ducting connected. Tape all the seams with the proper tape after removing gunky duck tape. Go back out and mix some mortar to patch hole. Get greedy and collapse the patch in the hole. Stuff a bunch of debris in the hole to act as a backer. Patch hole got real. Vacuum up the mess inside. Cry a bit.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

This took me 5 goddamn hours, for various minute bullshit:
This is a lot of the reasons why I'm terrified to do any form of actual change to my house lol. Seems like everything gets way more difficult than it seems

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Just give yourself enough time to change plans or wrap things up, never start a project on a Sunday afternoon if you have work Monday morning.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

It will but it will make a mess. Until it's starting to set its very easy for gravity to pull it down. Put down some plastic sheets and have acetone + rag on hand. Wear eye protection, if any gets on your skin immediately stop what you're doing and hit it with acetone. Wear clothes you don't care about. You could try sticking the tube in the hole a bit facing away from the exhaust to get it started, let that set / expand, then give it another bead. No I haven't used expanding foam to fill gaps it shouldn't why would you ask that?

Or use a collar and caulk. It will take the same amount of time and be fine.

Both will keep bugs and draft out.

Looked it up online and there's no way I don't get this all over the kitchen... I'll grab a bunch of plastic and give it a go; couldn't find collars the right size that I can put on without taking the duct out first, so that'll have to be a good start along with the tape suggestion above.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Anyone have any recommendations for gloves for general yard work? I trolled myself into dethatching most of the lawn today with a lawn rake and got some gnarly blisters on my pampered computer-toucher hands.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

umbrage posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for gloves for general yard work? I trolled myself into dethatching most of the lawn today with a lawn rake and got some gnarly blisters on my pampered computer-toucher hands.

If you have one nearby, Harbor Freight is my go to. They have pretty much any type you could want, for much cheaper than elsewhere, and you can size the fit.

My favorite gen purpose gloves are https://www.harborfreight.com/safety/gloves/coated-rubber-grip-gloves-large-90912.html They have great grip, and they're so cheap that when they get dirty, just toss them. I even use them for weightlifting, and like them better than most purpose-built weightlifting gloves.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Firm Grip brand has done right by me. I used a pair of Holmes for the demo work and completely shredded them in the 4 days.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I like the Mechanix ones. The leather impact ones with the knuckle protection have saved me from loving myself up a few times now, and they are comfortably sized for my pampered computer toucher hands.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tracecomplete posted:

I like the Mechanix ones. The leather impact ones with the knuckle protection have saved me from loving myself up a few times now, and they are comfortably sized for my pampered computer toucher hands.

I used to have mechanics hands, but now have similarly soft claws. You can get better gloves, but I’m hard pressed to recommend a glove better than Mechanix for the money. I pretty continually have at least three pair around, plus a pair (or two) that I wear for diving/lobstering/lionfishing.

I also have a pair of short but gently caress-off-thick leather gloves for really heavy duty poo poo, handling sheet metal, etc. Mechanix tend to value dexterity and tactile feel over absolute cut protection, which is better for like 95% of jobs, but I hate cutting my hands.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MrYenko posted:

I used to have mechanics hands, but now have similarly soft claws.

New title text?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Dave posted:

Just give yourself enough time to change plans or wrap things up, never start a project on a Sunday afternoon if you have work Monday morning.

This. Then on that one in a million project where everything goes to plan and you're done way before you thought you would be, you have a lot more time to celebrate this fact.

Or, to go fix something else unrelated because the house doesn't appreciate your hubris.

NomNomNom posted:

Firm Grip brand has done right by me. I used a pair of Holmes for the demo work and completely shredded them in the 4 days.

I like my Firm Grip gloves well enough but I find I keep wearing through them way sooner than I'd expect.

I got some of the ridiculously thick Milwaukee gloves that Project Farm liked. They definitely require some breaking in and getting used to, the back-of-hand protection is stiff at first.

But now I've put them through the same type of work that started ripping up my Firm Grips almost right away, and the Milwaukees still look nearly new.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PageMaster posted:

Get some of the foil tape they used to join the ductwork together and just tape over the gap. I'm assuming there's some sort of surround that's going to cover that anyway.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cruft posted:

New title text?

Potential.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

But now I've put them through the same type of work that started ripping up my Firm Grips almost right away, and the Milwaukees still look nearly new.

I might have to check this out. The best outdoor glove strategy I've otherwise found so far is to just buy cheap latex coated ones from wherever and toss them when they start getting holes in a week or two.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What’s wrong with leather work gloves? Particularly for something like shoveling or raking

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
one of the tradesguys who did some work for me a while back accidentally left a pair of gloves and I ended up using them and loving them so I it's what I have around now for almost any task

They are a step up from barebones nitrile coated gloves, and they do protect me somewhat from sharp things, though not as well as full leather gloves. They breathe well and I can still use my phone with them on which is also a plus.

https://www.amazon.com/34-8743-Medium-MaxiFlex-Engineered-Gloves/dp/B00YQNCF50?th=1

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

BigFactory posted:

What’s wrong with leather work gloves? Particularly for something like shoveling or raking

they dont make em like they used to is the only thing that comes to mind. its what i use. probably just because im imitating pep pep though.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Motronic posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Sealing-Tuf-Tite-Polylok-Septic-16/dp/B01IRM64UW

This. And do it ASAP. Groundwater ingress will saturate your field.

I called a local plumbing company to ask if they had this stuff in stock and the guy told me not to do that because sealing the tank like that will cause too much pressure to build up and blow the lid off. I am confusion.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
If groundwater is getting into your 5" riser don't you have some serious flooding issues anyway?

I've got an aerobic system that is definitely not sealed and isn't designed to be. Just concrete lids on risers and the air inlet for the aerator.

If I have 5" of water overtopping my riser, it's also overtopping my foundation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

just another posted:

I called a local plumbing company to ask if they had this stuff in stock and the guy told me not to do that because sealing the tank like that will cause too much pressure to build up and blow the lid off. I am confusion.

I don't even know what to say in response to that.

You do have a vent stack in your home for the drain plumbing I'm sure......like...if you didn't your sinks wouldn't drain properly. This is where any septic gas buildup exits. I don't understand how a properly plumbed house could ever build any pressure in a septic tank. Even in the bad days where they were putting P traps in the laterals to the tank.....it would build up enough pressure to burble back past the trap (minimal) and then burp out of your vent stack.

I'd have a lot of questions about that "advice" and probably just assume they are idiots. But you decide for yourself. I'm just some idiot on the internet.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

brugroffil posted:

If groundwater is getting into your 5" riser don't you have some serious flooding issues anyway?

I've got an aerobic system that is definitely not sealed and isn't designed to be. Just concrete lids on risers and the air inlet for the aerator.

If I have 5" of water overtopping my riser, it's also overtopping my foundation.

No issues that I'm aware of with groundwater getting into the tank. The riser is about five or six inches above ground level.

Motronic posted:

I don't even know what to say in response to that.

You do have a vent stack in your home for the drain plumbing I'm sure......like...if you didn't your sinks wouldn't drain properly. This is where any septic gas buildup exits. I don't understand how a properly plumbed house could ever build any pressure in a septic tank. Even in the bad days where they were putting P traps in the laterals to the tank.....it would build up enough pressure to burble back past the trap (minimal) and then burp out of your vent stack.

I'd have a lot of questions about that "advice" and probably just assume they are idiots. But you decide for yourself. I'm just some idiot on the internet.

No, what you're saying makes more sense based on the hodgepodge of knowledge I've accumulated from YouTube and random books. What gave me pause is that, years ago, we rented a basement apartment in the country that had the septic back up into the house. Part of the fix for that place was a backwater valve. Would a backwater valve prevent the tank from properly venting through the stack?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

just another posted:

Would a backwater valve prevent the tank from properly venting through the stack?

Only if it's closed, but that same valve is something that would never be needed (or closed) on a properly working and serviced system because......the system is literally lower than your lowest sanitary output by definition.

Also...there is no conceivable way that even in a system that somehow got sealed up that some of that packing wouldn't blow out and vent, even when buried. It's not going to be like an 80s comedy where the lid blows off 100 feet into the sky and lands somewhere that hilariously sets off a chain of events. That's just ridiculous and unrealistic.

Also without a backwater valve, if you had this much pressure in your septic tank and no proper vent you would hear the p traps in your sink burbling and your house would smell like rear end. LONG before this hilarious tank cap blowing off. You'd need to I guess cap off all of your drains and make sure your waste plumbing was rated to several hundred PSI to make sure you could build up enough pressure.

Sorry, I'm going on and on here.....but if you know how plumbing and septic system work this is just........stupid.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Getting a new concrete driveway and patio, contractor offers and recommends an acrylic sealer. Easy upsell for them or actually worthwhile?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Saucer Hovers posted:

they dont make em like they used to is the only thing that comes to mind. its what i use. probably just because im imitating pep pep though.

Idk mine always seem to last forever unlike the expensive fitted gloves that die within 6 months. Nitrile coated gloves are fine if you’re dealing with stuff you don’t want touching your skin but i hate wearing them otherwise and they’re not particularly cut resistant unless they’re also Kevlar. For real sharp stuff I wear Kevlar under leather gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Seen on Reddit:

quote:

When my parents and I (aged 7) moved into my childhood home, we found a little vacuum in the closet with a note taped to it that said “Good luck” and that’s it. Shortly after that, we discovered that the house had a yellow jacket infestation. That vacuum, dear reader, was the yellow jacket vacuum. My most horrible memory of that time is of taking a bath and suddenly hearing a buzzing very nearby and seeing little wasp legs and heads sticking out from the bathtub overflow drain. They’d also swim up through the toilet (HOW?!?!????) and come up from the sink drains. We spent much of that first year screaming.

But I came here to ask about this:

quote:

If you live in a single-family home you can go check the vent pipe. I've pulled a squirrel out of one, but never had bees in it before. Usually its those Maple Tree seeds that twirl like helicopters.

I bring my hose up with me, and shove it down as far as I can and turn it on. I can usually flush out the debris, although I did borrow a snake for the rodent (haha, I'm slapping my knee!)

edit: toilets will often make a gulp sound when you flush them, but that isn't the same thing. Gulping is when an appliance you didn't touch "gulps" in reaction to using a different device. In the graphic you could flush the toilet and hear a gulp in the basement sink as it brought in air for the sewer. Or alternative you could run the sink in the basement and have the gulping/bubbling upstairs. Its just air moving around pipes and the vent allows it to escape where it won't smell bad or cause illness.

edit 2: Its a good idea to make sure all of your traps have water in them as well. Pay attention to old laundry hookups and utility sinks that may dry up.
Since we moved in, every time we run the washer the traps in all the bathrooms go gloop. No smell is emitted. I had been worrying about the septic system backing up, but this sounds very plausible. The house had been uninhabited for at least a couple of months, and I can easily believe that the washer hookup had dried out. How do I find the trap to check if this is true, and how do I fill it?