Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My wife just sent me this tiktok that came across her page, and while I'm not saying these lads are idiots, she would like to know more about the homoeroticism you see so much of in the Marines

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7004028766515105029

I said I'd ask some people who are very well positioned to answer it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well what else do they have

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That was kind of my take; young, fit, drunk horned-up dudes with lots of free time on a Saturday night. What else are you going to do?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

What, you other branches don't dance shirtless in the barracks/base housing before kissing your homies goodnight?

Real answer: a hypermasculine-dominant field makes a hell of a playground for spectacle when you inherently trust a shitload of people around you because they're your peers or you're trying to crush the weight of your PTSD or the pure idiocy you deal with 90% of your time. There's more to it, but I'm half asleep right now :effort:

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Has anyone heard if defense contractors are requiring the vaccine (and actually enforcing it)?

My chuddy-as-gently caress older brother and his wife belong in this thread. He just retired as a Navy O5 and has already accepted a position with a smallish defense contractor at the Pentagon. He and his wife are anti-vax, Christian fundamentalists, borderline Quiverfull (they have 9 kids), and like to dabble in QAnon conspiracies. Good thing he has a TS/SCI.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I work a one of the big 3 defense aerospace plane makers and we aren’t requiring it. I expect we eventually go the Delta Airlines route and have a health insurance surcharge if you don’t get it.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

iroc.dis posted:

Has anyone heard if defense contractors are requiring the vaccine (and actually enforcing it)?

My chuddy-as-gently caress older brother and his wife belong in this thread. He just retired as a Navy O5 and has already accepted a position with a smallish defense contractor at the Pentagon. He and his wife are anti-vax, Christian fundamentalists, borderline Quiverfull (they have 9 kids), and like to dabble in QAnon conspiracies. Good thing he has a TS/SCI.

I haven't seen any new enforcement, but the ones I know/am in the field with already 100% required them anyway.

I'd be surprised if he got a pass tbh.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

iroc.dis posted:

In any sane society those would be red flags on a clearance but in America wow how patriotic :|

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I am a gov contractor in healthcare and we don’t have any requirement but we are also 100% WFH still so I’m curious about what will happen if we ever go hybrid (my expectation).

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Xenoborg posted:

I work a one of the big 3 defense aerospace plane makers and we aren’t requiring it. I expect we eventually go the Delta Airlines route and have a health insurance surcharge if you don’t get it.

His is an aerospace contractor as well, albeit a much smaller one.

Everything about he and his wife belong either in this thread or the GBS "post itt every time you lol that trump was president" thread. They're anti-face mask. They think Covid was a Democrat hoax to steal the election. The list goes on and on. Its simultaneously depressing and brain-numbingly stupid.

I had to un-invite him and his family from my wedding because of their anti-vax and anti-face mask beliefs. Good times.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Memento posted:

My wife just sent me this tiktok that came across her page, and while I'm not saying these lads are idiots, she would like to know more about the homoeroticism you see so much of in the Marines

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7004028766515105029

I said I'd ask some people who are very well positioned to answer it.

That's the mildest game of gay chicken I've ever seen.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

iroc.dis posted:

The contractor has no control over this. Whatever policies the pentagon sets are what goes, which means yes he’ll have to get it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Imagined posted:

Biden watching the dumbest, most hardcore chuds quitting the military and/or civil service:

A bunch of lefties I chat with basically came to the same conclusion. The most indoctrinated chuds will either forge cards or up and leave.

Godholio posted:

Edit: Here, I think they're requesting a self-attestation. I don't think anyone is being required to bring their vax card in as proof yet.
Oh lol

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

boop the snoot posted:

I am a gov contractor in healthcare and we don’t have any requirement but we are also 100% WFH still so I’m curious about what will happen if we ever go hybrid (my expectation).

I am in a similar situation. My company released a statement the week before the mandate saying if you want to enter a corporate building, you must be fully vaxed.

I expect the full mandate email to show up Monday.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Tied into the current discussion, I'm currently on a staff duty with a dude who's spouting the most insane bullshit.

What is it about these guys that they can claim "think for yourself, do your own research" and then turn around and believe the wildest, most made up nonsense off QAnon?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Gorilla Radio posted:

Tied into the current discussion, I'm currently on a staff duty with a dude who's spouting the most insane bullshit.

What is it about these guys that they can claim "think for yourself, do your own research" and then turn around and believe the wildest, most made up nonsense off QAnon?

well you see the man doesn't want you to know about wonderdrugs like horse paste, fish tank pills, and light bulbs up your butt

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ded posted:

and light bulbs up your butt

Kids today with their LED bulbs.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Gorilla Radio posted:

QAnon IS research, duh.

No, your peer reviewed, published, and repeatable work is not research.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Gorilla Radio posted:

uh they're loving morons? That's obvious.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

People believe that "reading a Facebook post" or "watching a YouTube video" is research.

Because most people don't have the slightest idea of what research is.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

ASAPI posted:

I am in a similar situation. My company released a statement the week before the mandate saying if you want to enter a corporate building, you must be fully vaxed.

I expect the full mandate email to show up Monday.

Oct 1st deadline for the vaccine mandate the companies set is approaching and people are already talking about their last ship before they wander off into some red state for vaccine protection. The one thing I'm sure of is they haven't put a lot of effort into looking at the pay difference and are in for a rude awakening when they go from $180k to <$50k.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

MA-Horus posted:

People believe that "reading a Facebook post" or "watching a YouTube video" is research.

Because most people don't have the slightest idea of what research is.

I had someone quote New York Post at work which almost made me loose my composure.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Ordered the remaining 35 people in the Sq to take the shot after the majority of these dummies stated they would never get it. 28 rolled over, showed their bellies and took the shot because money trumps their convictions and "research". The other 7 are trying any and all of the excemtions to try and stall the process. The worst part is these guys work with somebody who just died of Covid a few days ago....

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I work under the NMCI contract and we are 100% having to get the shot. My boss is overdue for retirement and only stayed on to deal with the perspecta => leidos merger and he's refusing the shot and already announced his last day. Whatever. A few libertarian's are saying they are moving to Texas but I havent heard of any notices being put in yet. gently caress you dont let the door hit your rear end on the way out and good luck with the job search.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Rythe posted:

The worst part is these guys work with somebody who just died of Covid a few days ago....

Worked with somebody who just (…)

Grammar matters.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Grammar matters.

gently caress me I'm a terrible human but I laughed at that too much...

Also I'm getting ready to retire and will happily take any of these self righteous individuals jobs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iroc.dis posted:

My company isn't requiring it (yet), but has been paying $250 to everyone who gets it since early this year.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Eerie, this same thing went down at a indoor range next to my old place in Cedar Park TX, it's an issue with ranges that rent guns out. The range I went to had color coded timesheets, basically coded if you were a club member, fire arms owner, student or new shooter, rentals were always tagged as a new shooter with a bright time card so the range officer would keep an extra close eye on the guys renting the guns.

A bunch of new-to-guns guys renting out guns, like 2 big families, I showed up when everyone was signing up, and the range asked me if I'd mind shooting by myself in the rifle range vs being in the pistol range with a bunch of new dudes and I was like sure.

I had a guy check in on me 15 minutes later [I was in a different building] and sure enough there was a bit of horseplay and an ND and fortunately no one got shot but one of the side barriers to one of the stalls got messed up. That was the last time I was in an indoor range after that, I drive an hour to get my own "tactical bay" which is out in the country side and no one around me and my guests.

The ranges in Vegas that cater to tourists probably have hours of videos like this...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FrozenVent posted:

Grammar matters.

They fixed them. They fix everything.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The military should give $1K incentive checks to people who got their vaccines in a reasonable amount of time and weren’t dicks about it.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
My guard base had a town hall type event for anyone who was hesitant about the vaccination today with Dr’s from the med group and JAG officers. I was tempted to swing by and listen to what they were saying, but then I realized I didn’t want to be in an auditorium filled with hundreds of unvaccinated, maskless people.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/eamonhamilton/status/1437212004024913922?s=20

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Big K of Justice posted:

The ranges in Vegas that cater to tourists probably have hours of videos like this...

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh that reminds me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGKyhilGZWA

I literally knew this instructor personally.

I bought guns from him.

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm Also 1000% not friends anymore so I'm fine roasting this dude.

He started really sleeving me out as I got more wary of people and have long since recognized libertarian / dogwhistle white nationalist poo poo that I wasn't picking up as a younger kid.

Later he got into "Jesus" after being an obnoxious atheist for years, saying poo poo like "america was always a christian republic".

Last I knew he did door to door sales after losing a big-time job at an outfitters.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 13, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Last time I was at a big indoor range (Hoover Tactical near Birmingham, in what used to be Bruno's supermarket that I went 20 miles out of my way to shop at to hit on a cashier), I was treating myself to a birthday pistol upgrade and the wife and I were shooting it in. There were two dudes in their 20s about to enter the lane that I didn't get a good feeling about, so we held off entering the shooting lane for a bit, using the excuse of looking at stuff in the display cases while I watched them. The kid that was going to go in and be our safety asked me what was up, and I pointed to them. He twigged to it right away, knocked on the window for the other employee who was half-watching them and picking his nose to actually watch them. Sure enough, few minutes later, attempts at a "pointing pistols at each others' head" selfie.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Casimir Radon posted:

The military should give $1K incentive checks to people who got their vaccines in a reasonable amount of time and weren’t dicks about it.

A-loving-gree.

My unit did a month long field, at the end of which the commander pulled everyone in for a talk with a "COVID doesn't exist in the field". When the inevitable outbreak happened, my coworker and got chewed out by our E9 for not taking our computers home. That weekend we found a way to get the first dose, so that we could work at the office without worrying.

That's my story about being a good little bitch for the army.

Off topic, I get out in a month and everything is scary. Even things I've done before, like apply for jobs or find housing FEEL harder. Does it get better or am I facing this for the rest of my life?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I only did 4 years then got out so I didn't get a chance to be institutionalized. My experience may not apply. My big thing was making a plan and not just being the lazy bump on a log I wanted to be, after the first few weeks of not shaving. Granted, my plan was about as complex as "use the GI Bill, figure the rest out later." but even that was enough to get me doing the paper work and moving towards something. All the rest was just doing whatever task was in front of me that I needed to do. Now it's just life.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Gorilla Radio posted:

Off topic, I get out in a month and everything is scary. Even things I've done before, like apply for jobs or find housing FEEL harder. Does it get better or am I facing this for the rest of my life?

It goes away pretty quickly. You're unused to making adult decisions due to lack of practice. DoD loves that anxiety, it's how they keep people re-upping.

On thread topic:

https://twitter.com/cdrsalamander/status/1437210998604247042

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

iroc.dis posted:

He can probably get the religious exemption :shrug:

That’s what a lot of people seem to be going for at this point but I have no idea how that is actually going to legally play out.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Gorilla Radio posted:

A-loving-gree.

My unit did a month long field, at the end of which the commander pulled everyone in for a talk with a "COVID doesn't exist in the field". When the inevitable outbreak happened, my coworker and got chewed out by our E9 for not taking our computers home. That weekend we found a way to get the first dose, so that we could work at the office without worrying.

That's my story about being a good little bitch for the army.

I personally found my newfound freedom to be extremely liberating. I was a bum for nearly a year and a half until just now starting grad school. Highly recommend just doing whatever you want for a while, learned a lot about myself and have a better idea of what kind of post-army career I'm looking for.

Depends on each person's financial situation though, I know my married peers that got out were much more concerned about finding employment right after they got out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

He can probably get the religious exemption :shrug:

That’s what a lot of people seem to be going for at this point but I have no idea how that is actually going to legally play out.

Doubt it. They had no religious objection to the 38 other vaccines they have received at the start of their service.