Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

Fair enough. Last summer there was a lot of discussion about the foolishness of pursuing just mRNA vaccines in the US, using the population as guinea pigs for a relatively novel vaccine technology. The widespread death an disease last fall+winter seemed to kill of those concerns in the broader public, but it's good researchers are still thinking about it. Though if we're going down this path the long-term impacts of COVID are similarly unknown, still going to bet the virus that purposefully screws up immune systems to infect asymptomatically will be worse.

Still not great that the more established technologies under-delivered, AZ+JJ with the clot and production issues, Novavax apparently falling off the edge of earth. Apparently JJ aren't even trialing a pediatric vaccine at this time, embarrassing. Also can't get the Chinese inactivated virus vaccine due to geopolitics and not producing it in the west because ???
The Chinese vaccine is not great against variants. The mRNA vaccines are good because they target a part of the virus that are less likely to mutate, and they have proven themselves to be plenty safe, so how about not spreading fear about mRNA vaccines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Golli posted:

It's the 50th anniversary celebration of Disneyworld opening.

I like a lot of poo poo, I'm not gonna go to see the poo poo i like when death is stalking every social interaction. lol

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
the best way to understand things rn is that the FDA is moving at literal lightspeed in terms of the agency itself (and absolutely loving over all sorts of other things in the process, but that's neither here nor there) and by the time we get an EUA for kids in school we probably will have already exposed all of them to the virus.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

Though if we're going down this path the long-term impacts of COVID are similarly unknown, still going to bet the virus that purposefully screws up immune systems to infect asymptomatically will be worse.

Bingo

Wait till we find out that after 5 years with covid, X has a huge chance of happening, where X is whatever awful health outcome you can imagine

Don't catch the novel virus we know barely anything about!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

so last I heard the "models" predicted a delta peak in October? how's that looking? maybe it will go down once the Labor Day/back to school spike happens, but then come the holidays...

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Schnorkles posted:

the best way to understand things rn is that the FDA is moving at literal lightspeed in terms of the agency itself (and absolutely loving over all sorts of other things in the process, but that's neither here nor there) and by the time we get an EUA for kids in school we probably will have already exposed all of them to the virus.

Everything in the US is too slow to deal with climate change much less pandemic

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

did you guys in the booster crew use fake data for everything? or just fake names

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

the agencies don't move on pandemic timetables, which is why it was always foolish to assume CDC would be prepared for this.

i didn't assume anything but i'm blaming the gently caress out the CDC anyway because they hosed up to a level we didn't realize was possible

telling people they could drop the masks killed literally hundreds of thousands of people

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

WampaLord posted:

Bingo

Wait till we find out that after 5 years with covid, X has a huge chance of happening, where X is whatever awful health outcome you can imagine

i'm honestly waiting to hoot and holler at the studies that show ~x% chance of increased terrible cancer if you ingested horse quantities of ivermectin

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

so last I heard the "models" predicted a delta peak in October? how's that looking? maybe it will go down once the Labor Day/back to school spike happens, but then come the holidays...

already past the peak!!

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1435249759766212610?s=19

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There was an old (1930s?) book called Back to Eden about natural diets curing all ills that got popular again with hippies in the sixties and seventies and it hosed up so many boomer brains

That sounds exactly like him. He was a big, tough hippie construction worker who could tolerate enormous amounts of pain. He got melanoma from a life of working on rooftops and tried to cure it by seeing an array of hippie chiropractors, homeopaths, and naturopaths. When he was finally in so much pain that he went to a real doctor, all they could do was tell him he was dead.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

actionjackson posted:

did you guys in the booster crew use fake data for everything? or just fake names

i used my real name but said it was my first shot

there's no tracking whatsoever, at least if you're not in CA or one of the states that somewhat has their poo poo together

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Trevor Bedford is wildly good at his job and you should probably trust what he says.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

WampaLord posted:

ok, i won't

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Schnorkles posted:

i'm honestly waiting to hoot and holler at the studies that show ~x% chance of increased terrible cancer if you ingested horse quantities of ivermectin

As an engineer the fact that we're self-repairing but basically not modular is a nightmare. I'd rather be a robot that wears out but which can just swap in a new part.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

ok, i won't

:thumbsup:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

i think its unlikely anyone will escape COVID at this point.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

actionjackson posted:

okay here's what I'm concerned about

if I do this, and then later my work offers boosters, will they know that I already did a booster elsewhere? Because if I was actually immunocompromised I could just do it through my work.

your work somehow finding out and then questioning you, "wait why did you already get a booster??" is the easiest thing to spin with a response like "look I love this job so much I wanted to do everything possible to keep working and keep everyone here safe"

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Schnorkles posted:

there's a reason vaccines have a formal Phase IV in most cases.

Sure it's good practice but that doesn't mean that it's happened. Was there a vaccine that was recalled bc of findings from phase IV?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Schnorkles posted:

The real question is how frequently you want to get covid for the rest of your life.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Schnorkles posted:

I think a lot of WFH shut ins should be fine. There's probably a solid 1% of Americans who gig economy everything and have zero actual contacts.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

WampaLord posted:

i used my real name but said it was my first shot

there's no tracking whatsoever, at least if you're not in CA or one of the states that somewhat has their poo poo together

i canceled this one and am going to start over and do the first shot thing

did you give your real address and phone?

can you just walk into cvs or walgreens? or do you have to do it online

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

actionjackson posted:

okay here's what I'm concerned about

if I do this, and then later my work offers boosters, will they know that I already did a booster elsewhere? Because if I was actually immunocompromised I could just do it through my work.

Why would your work even care? You can just tell them you already got your 3rd shot elsewhere and they'll be like 'cool' and click to remove the health maintenance topic for it

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chuds are passing this clip around and screaming "SAVE THE CHILDREN FROM THIS MONSTER" because Fauci vaguely alludes to the fact that mandating vaccines for schoolchildren is possible, without even presenting a timetable for doing so:

https://twitter.com/theskimm/status/1437204381489790977

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Schnorkles posted:

Trevor Bedford is wildly good at his job and you should probably trust what he says.

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1435267631477497856

uh oh!

I'm wondering whether our plateau is going to be even higher this time around. "Endemic" COVID in the US sure looks a lot like death stalking every street corner.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There was an old (1930s?) book called Back to Eden about natural diets curing all ills that got popular again with hippies in the sixties and seventies and it hosed up so many boomer brains

probably killed steve jobs too lol (good riddance)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nikosoft posted:

Why would your work even care? You can just tell them you already got your 3rd shot elsewhere and they'll be like 'cool' and click to remove the health maintenance topic for it

because it would imply I lied about my health background

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Didn't school just start for people up north?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

mystes posted:

The Chinese vaccine is not great against variants. The mRNA vaccines are good because they target a part of the virus that are less likely to mutate, and they have proven themselves to be plenty safe, so how about not spreading fear about mRNA vaccines?

Good thing I'm not doing that! Half my posts itt are whining about how I'm super desperate to get my kids just those mRNA vaccines ASAP, trying and failing to get them into the clinical trials etc. Still doesn't mean you can't call a spade a spade and acknowledge the long-term impacts of mRNA vaccination aren't really known because how could they possibly be?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

actionjackson posted:

Just say you asked and they gave it to you and you were confused

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you're determined to get a booster shot now you should probably use your real name but refuse to give any other information. That way you'll have a separate vaccine card but it will at least have your real name which may become an issue on the off chance the the US actually authorizes booster shots, in which case you might need to be able to show it to your employer.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

:crackping:
This is so loving ghoulish oh my god
Also holy poo poo no one wearing masks at all. loving interviewing kids that can't be vaccinated, with all masks off, on indoor settings. My loving god gently caress all this

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

ghoul loving bastards

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
[extremely guy who wouldn't shut up about peak oil fifteen years ago voice]

Peak COVID!

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

actionjackson posted:

You don't have to tell them why! Just say I thought that everyone was supposed to get boosters

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

Don't kill children don't run them over
let them live their lives and then they'll grow older

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
The "madjackal fallacy" aka believing anyone in the general public would ever read the dead gay forum and take it seriously enough to question vaccines even though we also say take the vaccines

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Floor is lava posted:

https://twitter.com/WPXI/status/1437241162058850307

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Floor is lava posted:

NYC today iirc
Minneapolis schools last week wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Schnorkles posted:

i'm not going to stop wearin kf94s everywhere and will actively avoid places that tut-tut or disallow mask wearing. i think that could keep me safe for at least a few years