Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good soup! posted:

Is there a decent place to read about the Dark Horse translation and some of the inconsistencies or phrasing they might have, because the only place I can think of that might have them is the Skull Knight forums and it might be full of some of the most insufferable Berserk fans in existence

I don't know if there are resources like this but I've been reading my deluxe volumes as they come in, including getting the 8th today. (It gets to the start of the troll raid after meeting Schierke)

The Dark Horse version is just a bit stilted sometimes. Might just be a case of a bit too literal translation at times.
Things like

The full line is something like "This feeling... thank you... It's the worst I ever feel" rather than something like "This feeling is the worst I've ever felt... thank you". Something that is a bit more actual conversational english.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Didn't they start translating it in like the manga translation dark ages?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Just finished reading the final chapter of Berserk. It prominently featured a nude baby, which is the most unsurprising thing ever. Glad Kentaro Miura is dead.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pewdiepie posted:

Just finished reading the final chapter of Berserk. It prominently featured a nude baby, which is the most unsurprising thing ever. Glad Kentaro Miura is dead.

Please, Puck is already an adult fairy.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

Spencer Elden, welcome.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

At least we’ll always have Berserk outtakes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2YzHTt2Pns4

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ok everyone who's your favorite character and why is it Schnoz?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Griffith because he did nothing wrong.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

christmas boots posted:

If ever there was a question that will lead to the thread getting gassed...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
what if they make a high-budget berserk anime with a planned ending from any notes/assistants. it will be divorced enough from the manga and while it wont have the stunning individual art pieces, it can now use the entire comic to flesh out a well-written and conclusive ending with improved seeding of plot elements.

this, of course, requires them to actually hire extremely competent people and spend money -- but berserk is big enough for that to maybe happen.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

As an ending, I do not hate this. It's so outrageously inconclusive that it manages to be strangely fitting.

If it continues, it will not feel the same, because even if Miura left a straight up script for the rest of it, this is what kicks off a completely new arc.

I'll read the hell out of it, either way, but I'm happy with the Berserk we already got (sans a few distasteful items here and there) no matter what.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

For those feeling severe Berserk withdrawal and annoyance over the fact that we will never get an official ending, I will once again recommend Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman. It is the most Berserk-esque book I have ever read. The amount of similarities are staggering, and it has a very satisfying ending. It will never provide the ending we could hope for with Berserk but it's great to read a book that shares the same sensibilities that concludes its story within a single incredibly enjoyable novel.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Are you Christopher Buehlman

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

Are you Christopher Buehlman

Wish I could write that well!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Evidently the manga we're not supposed to talk about has been canceled, not sure if that portends anything about Berserk specifically though.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
drat, that's some last panel to be the conclusion of Miura's work. And like crack to the part of my brain that likes to speculate.

It does confirm as well we were no doubt leading to some amazing climax to the Guts\Casca\Griffith story. As satisfying as it'd be to just get the Dragon Slayer through his skull, it was never going to be that simple; especially with the hints and now confirmation the Moon Child never was just an empty vessel for him. It's influencing at least part of him, even if it all gets shoved away in his mind as a dream.
I do hope at the very least, there's some sort of author's notes released. I'd love to see what ending Miura himself was shooting for here.

It's been an amazing trip, and I'll be grateful for what we did get of Miura's work.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Evidently the manga we're not supposed to talk about has been canceled, not sure if that portends anything about Berserk specifically though.

Well from the exhibition it seems like he did have some kind of guide for how things were going to go

https://www.reddit.com/r/Berserk/comments/pmzda6/more_news_from_the_berserk_exhibit/

And if I was a betting man, I would imagine Studio Gaga is putting down the one project to focus on other things

Someone on reddit put it very well. They said what they said in the letter that went with the last chapter because they're not trying to say No, we're not continuing Berserk

It's because they're trying to figure out how best to say Yes, we are.

I could be wrong, and in another month or six they could announce Berserk being cancelled as well- but signs are not pointing that way unless you really want them to.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That outline is interesting but it makes me wonder what the hell Miura was going to do with Casca. Assuming we're at the "Griffith and Guts cross swords" point, that means Guts was shortly going to abandon his party to go back off on his own to hunt Griffith ala Black Swordsman Arc 2: Electric Boogaloo. Which in a vacuum could be an interesting direction, but one wonders then what the hell the point was of bringing Casca back and having a big show of how she can still fight? Maybe the plan was to split focus between Guts on his own and the others all trying to find him/do something else?

I do think the plan is ultimately to have Gaga resurrect/carry on Berserk, but they're taking their time to figure out the best way to convey the messaging and also - frankly - to brainstorm how they would even want to continue the series and what direction they would take, all the more if they have nothing to go on but an incredibly vague outline Miura gave at an expo panel.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Sydin posted:

Maybe the plan was to split focus between Guts on his own and the others all trying to find him/do something else?

I've been kinda wondering this since Caska was brought back, but they've also pretty clearly shown that Guts' presence also triggers her previous trauma. There's still not a proper reunion for them in any real sense, so splitting the party could've been an option.

Maybe Guts' path is returning to 'cross swords' with Griffith, while the others is now to 'separate' the Moon Child from Femto\Griffith. If that's even possible.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
There's also the "her goals may not be yours" warning. That could be the cause of a split in the party.

Guts' goes Black Swordsman ver2. The rest of the party strikes for a different resolution.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Oh man, the implications of Guts becoming less capable without the Armour in this chapter are haunting as well.

Him running off on his own to confront Griffith would be very much in the vein of following the Skull Knight's path. The rest of the party could be looking for a way to subvert Griffith to save Guts from the fate, as much as to save what they can of teh Moon Child.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zakutambah posted:

There's also the "her goals may not be yours" warning. That could be the cause of a split in the party.

Guts' goes Black Swordsman ver2. The rest of the party strikes for a different resolution.

I think that was more a warning from SK that Casca may not want to return to sanity, because doing so would mean having to face the realities of what happened during the Eclipse. After all, her regression to a child-like state was a defense mechanism in response to her inability to process what happened to the Hawks, Griffith, and her child. We saw those consequences in action too when even if she got her sanity back, Casca flat out can't so much as look at Guts without going into shock from her trauma.

Granted, I also do wonder if where this was going was that Guts was renewed with a desire to kill Griffith, but Casca doesn't want him killed after learning he reincarnated into the body of her child. That's what forms the rift and ultimately leads to Guts going back out on his own, maybe relying on SK to get him off the island and back to Midland. Then the others would agree to team up with Casca and find another solution and/or try to stop Guts.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Zakutambah posted:

Oh man, the implications of Guts becoming less capable without the Armour in this chapter are haunting as well.

Having recently gone through all of this again, this is a direct fall out from using the armor. He needs it to hang with the apostles, but it is literally eating away at his body and soul to empower him to do so. The skull knight lost himself to it entirely, Guts hasn't yet, but his slow withering has been going on for a while.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Having recently gone through all of this again, this is a direct fall out from using the armor. He needs it to hang with the apostles, but it is literally eating away at his body and soul to empower him to do so. The skull knight lost himself to it entirely, Guts hasn't yet, but his slow withering has been going on for a while.

Oh aye, definitely. Just that that last chapter made a real point to show that without it now, it had caused enough damage that he's not the fighter he once was. Sword slipping from his grip, and losing accuracy... it was a very blunt way of showing that for Guts to continue any path against Griffith\God Hand\Apostles, there really is no going back now. It's the armor or nothing.

There was some hope while at sea as well that getting to the island would be able to cure him of sorts; now along with the SK's recent flashback this also reinforces the damage to him is permanent.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If I had to guess, Casca is going to want to rip Griffith from her child and try to save the latter. Perfect thing for her to try and do on a magic island filled with spirits

Guts is uh

Not going to do that

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It also puts him in a position not dissimilar to Griffith pre-eclipse: faced with a choice between a fragile, compromised human life or become an avenging demi-god who can force his dreams to be real.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
What's crazy is that he really hasn't been using the armor all that long in-universe (out of universe it's been decades, of course) so it's wasting him quick

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Lucasar posted:

It also puts him in a position not dissimilar to Griffith pre-eclipse: faced with a choice between a fragile, compromised human life or become an avenging demi-god who can force his dreams to be real.
Guts has started to realize he has things to lose though, something Griffith never really did. A good plot thread for the last arcs would probably be Guts trying to find a way to deal with whatever the conflict of the arc is, without relying on the armor for fear of losing what little he has left.

It's been shown that the armor drains him, but it hasn't been shown yet that the damage can't be healed.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
They could publish the first chapter of anything eighteen months from now and it would be unsurprising to those familiar with a Berserk release schedule. :downsrim:

More seriously, though, they could spend a decade just on books titled Rickert, and Grunbeld, and Zodd, and Sonia, all as entirely separate arcs "after Griffith disappeared from Falconia", before they'd even have to get around to the final writing on Berserk: Retribution.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

man he didnt even fight one of the godhand. not even that fat little octopus bitch.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

bitmap posted:

man he didnt even fight one of the godhand. not even that fat little octopus bitch.
Are you forgetting Slaan?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

bitmap posted:

The Godhand always felt like non-fightable entities. But it feels a bit more realistic now that they have started becoming a part of the real world.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

Are you forgetting Slaan?
For reference, 219-221
https://readberserk.com/chapter/berserk-chapter-219/

It's not really a "fight" but it's definitely a violent encounter.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Finally went and got started on this for the first time after buying the first of the giant 3-in-1 books on a whim.

Is there anything that I should know going in? Thanks to years of pop culture osmosis, I’m already aware of the big twist with Griffith and the Eclipse, and the infamy with non-consensual stuff, but that’s about it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The first couple of chapters can come off a bit edgelordy so if that ends up putting you off just know it's not totally indicative of the whole series. That said, I don't want to come down too hard on it either since there's a lot of good stuff already happening too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

christmas boots posted:

What's crazy is that he really hasn't been using the armor all that long in-universe (out of universe it's been decades, of course) so it's wasting him quick

He hasn’t used it long time wise but when he does he’s been pushing himself to the brink, where he would’ve died many times without it. Maybe Skull Knight’s transformation took longer because he had weaker enemies to fight with it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bisse posted:

The Godhand always felt like non-fightable entities. But it feels a bit more realistic now that they have started becoming a part of the real world.

This was clearly the part the Berserker armor is meant to fix-- a much more classical shonen/seinen style story would have Guts going after these pricks and losing himself that way instead of working his way through incidental monsters like those ocean fuckers.

Honestly I'd be perfectly happy if the story largely went that way. "Ok guys we've got word the Godhand are now here, here, and here. This armor is gonna gently caress me up if I keep wearing it so I have to shoot my shot." "We're with you bro." "Cool let's have some badass fights."

Like yeah that's not what you want, that's not what a lot of people want. Berserk is more to them than that. It was definitely more than that to Miura. But being real, that's all it needs to be.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The way the story is implying, If guts becomes able to fight the godhand then hed lose everything and himself in the same ways SK did.

Griffith, he can fight. Femto, not so much.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've read Berserk exactly 1 time but IMO it'd be pretty lame if Guts regresses into the black swordsman after all his growth. I think at this point he wants to protect his new family more than he wants to kill. A final confrontation is going to happen but the primary objective should be to save the child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

This was clearly the part the Berserker armor is meant to fix
Yeah I just don't think Berserk is the story where the main character finds a cool power up and defeats the bad guys. I find it much more likely the story is going in a direction where Guts will have to choose between taking revenge and accomplishing nothing, or saving those he care about. My money's on the real power up being Guts' new friends, and things will somehow be resolved through the power of Teamwork and Schierke magic while letting go of the armor to not lose yourself.

Wear Armor, Swing Sword, Get Grey Hair would need to be handled extremely well to not feel like all of Guts' character development went full circle back to the Black Swordsman arc.

Miura has written the story such a way that there is literally no obvious way for it to end, which is impressive. The way things are set up now, all possible outcomes are tradeoffs between various shades of black and grey, and a traditional happy save-the-world ending doesn't seem to exist.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 15, 2021