Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dried scallions are amazing. I had like a gallon of them that I used over the winter the year that I had way too fuckin' many scallions.

This year it's gonna be leeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Is there a thread recommended dehydrator?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

spf3million posted:

Are you cutting full sized tomatoes into slices before putting them in the dehydrator? Quartering cherry tomatoes? Also do you use the grate or the solid silicone sheet?
We cut full-sized tomatoes into slices; we also did some cherry tomatoes cut in half. You use the grate because tomatoes are very juicy and need a lot of airflow.

My dehydrator is a Nesco Snackmaster Pro (Nesco FD-75PR), which comes with five trays and can dry up to twelve; I think we have nine total. It's a good cheap starting point at $80.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

c355n4 posted:

Don't know, but I have the COSORI one and while expensive, man it's nice. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PY5M579/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

We dehydrate a LOT of stuff so it's worth it for us. The thing pretty much lives in out kitchen as soon as the growing season gets underway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just do what I did get a dehydrator that was your grandfather's and which has sat in your mom's closet for 20 years, lend it to a friend to make beef jerky, have your friend break it by overusing it for like 3 years straight, have him buy a new dehydrator before losing interest in beef jerky, and then borrow that new dehydrator and both of you forget to return it because between the two households you do like 2 dehydration projects per year.

Easy peasy.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

c355n4 posted:

I have one of the non-digital 9-tray Excalibur units.
I've seen them on Woot for $100 cheaper than I paid circa 2009.
The thing's built like a tank and has survived multiple moves.
It also works well enough to get things dry in an area where relative humidity tends to bounce between 50 and 100%.
It was definitely a "buy once, cry once" purchase.
My only complaints are that the trays don't fit in most dishwashers and it's not quiet.

The features I would suggest looking for are a rear (rather than bottom) mounted fan (so trays don't drip into it), a wide temperature range, and the ability to run the fan without heat. It's nice to be able to dry herbs and other delicate things at low temperatures or things with super high moisture content (like soups) at high temperatures. Being able to turn the heat off entirely also helps cool things to ambient quickly so you don't have to wonder if something's soft because it's under dried or just because it's warm.

Don't forget to check vertical height for your unit if you're planning on running it on a counter top below cabinets or something.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
We have a L'Equip dehydrator. No extensive research before buying, it just showed up at the thrift store one day.

Once we got into it the temperature adjustment is more useful than I thought it would be. Fixed temperature units are not recommended for beef jerky because they usually aren't set at a high enough temperature. While we don't make a lot of jerky it's nice to have the option of that and not turning your parley into dust because you got distracted for half an hour.

Timer is nice but not critical. Berries especially seem to need much more time than recommended so we end up adjusting the temperature, setting it to run continuously, and checking progress regularly. Sometimes we use the timer as a backup when something delicate is close but will be too crispy if we forget to check it for several hours.

Expandibility is easy - you can stack up to 20 trays on it. We're up to 10 now from the original 6 and I'm not sure that we'll need more, although there's one dried apple chip eater in the family that might force another expansion.

We've had it for seven years so far, still running flawlessly. It's hard plastic though and probably won't survive well if anything gets dropped. I'd like more metal.

Biggest reason I would not recommend L'Equip is the trays and screens not being dishwasher safe. Dried cherry residue was really hard to clean off this year. I had to stack the trays vertically in a large sink, fill it with water, soak one end of the stack for a couple of hours until that end could be cleaned, flip the stack and repeat. Not ideal.

ed: poeticoddity mentioned the side vs bottom mount fan. Good point. The L'Equip is bottom mounted and you have to fart around making baffles out of aluminum foil on the first two trays if you want to avoid flooding the fan with jerky juice.

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 13, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It's funny that the conversation is about dehydrators as I'm finishing my cherry tomatoes in the oven today. They don't take that long, but would take less time with a fan. I also turned a good number of pounds into tomato soup for the freezer, and got to use about half of my tomato skin puree from when I did salsa a couple weeks ago. The tomatoes are about done and I'll probably pull them in a couple days and use the green ones with a bunch of tomatillos for another salsa.

Hot peppers are really starting to ripen, and the chocolate moruga scorpions are this strange tan color right now before moving to the darker chocolate. It will be a much smaller harvest than hoped for, but better than expected with the weather. Big winners are the Chi-Chien heaven facing and the Erjingtiao milds. I'm going to have 150 of the heaven facing to dry at least, and the erjingtiao are turning red and I'll have probably 50-60 of those left now that I stopped picking a dozen a week. The Bird Aji are a close third for production with many small fruit but completely unripe still. Can't wait to build out the tunnels and keep things happy and living all winter so they can just start growing when there's enough sunlight to make them warm again.

Horned mustard greens, radishes, and pea sprouts are in and growing for autumn too. And winter cabbages are getting big too. I'm really starting to understand this 4-season growing thing, but so much room for improvements next year. Water cress is my favorite thing starting to grow well right now.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Chipping in my rec for the Excalibur. I run my for weeks at a time throughout the year and have had it for almost a decade now.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Random question - is there a goon recommended gardening website? I want to put together a binder with a single sheet for each type of plant we have in our garden and the basics of care for them.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We cut full-sized tomatoes into slices; we also did some cherry tomatoes cut in half. You use the grate because tomatoes are very juicy and need a lot of airflow.

My dehydrator is a Nesco Snackmaster Pro (Nesco FD-75PR), which comes with five trays and can dry up to twelve; I think we have nine total. It's a good cheap starting point at $80.

Thanks for the rec, just arrived today. I didn't want to commit to a fancier one until I knew what drying was about, but I'm thrilled to have a plan now for my peppers, green onions and herbs. (And my wife loves jerky, but that may be a winter project.)

And what a relief it was just now cutting up my big sack of slicing tomatoes and doing something before the rot/fruit flies got to them. Saved just enough fresh ones to replenish our jar of salsa, but all the rest are now processed or processing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Johnny Truant posted:

Random question - is there a goon recommended gardening website? I want to put together a binder with a single sheet for each type of plant we have in our garden and the basics of care for them.

The Territorial Seed catalog pretty much does this.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

There really isn't one single site that's going to have reliable information about every plant, but cross posting from the horticulture thread:

Wallet posted:

I find myself googling various plants/cultivars all the time because I don't trust nursery labels or listings to not stretch hardiness or sun requirements to sell more (anyone putting Sun to Shade on a plant label is a butthole) and they're often missing important pieces of information like flowering season or whatever. Of course often what you get when you type a plant name into google is a bunch of nurseries selling it.

So I set up one of the little programmable search things google offers to only search through sites that have high quality and generally complete information, while filtering out (as much as possible) things that aren't specific plant listings. I have no idea if anyone else will get any use out of it, but it's here.

Currently searches:
missouribotanicalgarden.org
gardenia.net
plants.ces.ncsu.edu
onlineplantguide.com
garden.org (sometimes their poo poo is incomplete but they often have the only listing for weird cultivars)
wildflower.org
monrovia.com
worldofsucculents.com
llifle.com

It's geared towards ornamentals so may not be that useful if what you want information about is, like, tomato cultivars.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 14, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Pretty good podcast about permaculture and such. Really relaxing. No loud commercials or obnoxious poo poo.

https://revolutionaryleftradio.libsyn.com/permaculture

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
For those that love the heat that peppers can give, I finally got a ripe Guatemalan Chiltepin. I have four of these shrubery (they're 4' tall, I don't know what else to call them), and the one I put in the front is just large and full of tiny fire filled peppers. They have a fruity sweetness to them, and are around a good habanero for heat level. They're easy to compare to all the other chiltepin and bird chiles, and are fairly similar in flavor, but this one does have a sweetness that the others don't seem to have. It was also very oily, so it coats the mouth really well.

It's a really huge plant, and next year (#3) I'll expect it to get about as large, but bushier and just covered with fruit. I put them in 4 different spots in the yard, and while this one lives under a birch tree, it's the largest and happiest, so I may put two up there next summer. So compared to the Aji Charapita and Bird Aji, it fits right in on flavor, but boy is it a beautiful plant.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 16, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

is it possible at this point to cut this ridiculous tomato plant back to something resembling one vine without killing it in time to get more fruit out of it? This is in coastal VA where we may or may not have a hard frost coming at all, so it might have a good few months left. I'm putting a few gallons of fertilizer-laden water into it everyday now, and I'm trying the weed hack of cutting way back on the nitrogen component to discourage further vegetative growth but lol it's just not slowing down. It has lots of blooms though. So I'm kinda torn between pruning it heavily for science, or just continuing to go hard on the feed while starving it of nitrogen to see if I can force it to do what I want.

In related news, my aji limon is going absolutely nuts, and I'm about to be drowning in sweet/hot little yellow peppers

This was a seed in may and it absolutely dwarfs all the peppers I bought at the garden store and moved outside early in the spring in size and yield. Except for maybe the numex peppers which are stumpy but full of huge fruit.

e: If my tomatoes and peppers had septoria/bacterial leaf spot early on, but have recovered, and the leaves and fruit now seem totally healthy, does that mean it's ok to compost healthy leaves/stems and save seeds? Or do I still need to worry about that stuff carrying over to next year?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 16, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

poverty goat posted:

e: If my tomatoes and peppers had septoria/bacterial leaf spot early on, but have recovered, and the leaves and fruit now seem totally healthy, does that mean it's ok to compost healthy leaves/stems and save seeds? Or do I still need to worry about that stuff carrying over to next year?

Those are beautiful peppers. If they had bacterial spots I wouldn’t compost and put it back in my garden unless you know it can get hot enough. If it’s a small pile it’s not going to hit above 160-180 or whatever the range is then I wouldn’t.

The tomato probably won’t have time to completely recover, but what is there to lose? If you aren’t getting much from it now, give it a chance and see. Never know when that first frost will actually hit anyway.

snowshovelboy
Apr 13, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

The first place I always look for how to take care of my plants is my state university extension website. Maybe your state uni has something similar.

https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-garden

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Jabronie posted:

https://www.groworganic.com/products/cold-zone-soil-builder-mix-raw-lb?_pos=3&_sid=870440494&_ss=r

That's the cheapest cover crop i've found. They have different mixes based on your region and help build your soil. I'm in zone 5 and have freezing next month so i'm planting it over the weekend. Alternatively, you can leave some organic debris in there to decompose over winter.

some leafy greens are good for end of season like kale or spinach

Thank you for the recommendation.

Finished up these 2 additional containers. I employed a bit of what I learned with the first raised bed to improve upon this. Put a lot more decayed wood & a good bit of recently trimmed green material in the base to keep dirt from falling into the cracks & reducing the overall bed depth. Also ended up putting a lot more dirt & compost into this one after the fact. Living and learning. Might end up shifting planting over to these & figure out a better situation for the first. I'm going to try to take advantage of the existing clothes line end piece to make a trellis to support plants. We'll see how it works out.

For the other container I picked up a blue berry bush. Then I found out I need 2 bushes to get decent sized blue berries. Guess I'm getting another one soon unless I want to take on cloning & rooting anther. Sounds like that would a big delay on what I want though. Also I've been reading about container lemon trees. Anybody have any suggestions there? Worth it or not?

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 17, 2021

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

onemanlan posted:

For the other container I picked up a blue berry bush. Then I found out I need 2 bushes to get decent sized blue berries. Guess I'm getting another one soon unless I want to take on cloning & rooting anther. Sounds like that would a big delay on what I want though. Also I've been reading about container lemon trees. Anybody have any suggestions there? Worth it or not?

I think with blueberries, one bush will give you a few berries. But you really want a second variety of blueberry for max pollination and fruit production. Not just two bushes of the same type. Cloning the one bush wouldn't help.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

onemanlan posted:

there's some pollination compatibility charts out there to find a good pair.

I've been hesitant about trees inside. Sure, you can prune them to keep short but i've been reading about the hassle of having to re-pot them to trim their roots as they grow. It'd seem stressful to me to make a mistake after a few years before they become fruitful.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What's up with the giant pipe which appears to empty onto your garden?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

onemanlan posted:

Also I've been reading about container lemon trees. Anybody have any suggestions there? Worth it or not?

Sure. I wouldn’t do it for a lemon tree, but I would for something like a sudachi or a finger lime that are more interesting to me and I can’t reliably get at the store.

Jabronie posted:

I've been hesitant about trees inside. Sure, you can prune them to keep short but i've been reading about the hassle of having to re-pot them to trim their roots as they grow. It'd seem stressful to me to make a mistake after a few years before they become fruitful.

Citrus take root disturbance pretty well. Avocado is an example of a plant that doesn’t.

A trick of the trade is to use fabric pots or containers painted with copper hydroxide (brand name is ‘SpinOut’). Either solution stops the roots at the edge of the pot and encourages interior growth. You can get a bigger plant growing in the same size pot and it becomes less critical to slip the plant out and prune its roots on the regular.

pointsofdata posted:

What's up with the giant pipe which appears to empty onto your garden?

It’s this T thing at the end of bed. The perspective is just slightly confusing.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It’s this T thing at the end of bed. The perspective is just slightly confusing.

That makes a lot more sense, I thought there was an abandoned industrial plant by your house!

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Or his neighbor is in a stand off with his other side neighbor and OP is the dmz

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Jabronie posted:

there's some pollination compatibility charts out there to find a good pair.

Thank you all for the helpful advice!

Also we don't talk about the DMZ neighbor for fear of upsetting them. My garden is on the best side of the DMZ.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

2 months ago I thought my gourds were goners to squash vine borers. I went and weeded my garden yesterday for the first time in months (chamberbitter/mimosaweed :argh:)and nope, after getting rid of all the weeds and played out zinnias, it's all a giant gourd vine now with half a dozen basketball size gourds.

Is there anything special I need to do to season or dry them when I do harvest them? They're just decorative- I was gonna give them to the neighbors for their kids to paint faces on or something.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wallet posted:

There really isn't one single site that's going to have reliable information about every plant, but cross posting from the horticulture thread:

It's geared towards ornamentals so may not be that useful if what you want information about is, like, tomato cultivars.

For roses, clematis, and peonies, you want https://www.helpmefind.com .

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 20, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My bitter melon vines have not been especially prolific (surprising, really, given how many flowers they have), but boy are these melons huge. Two or three times larger than the ones in the store.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Had a big weekend picking and canning because we also had the first big rainstorm of the season. Please pardon the clutter you might see.

San Marzano Giagante

Had to pick all my tomatoes at once, filled around five of those large plastic bags you get with grocery pickup. Upper left are Pineapple, upper right is San Marzano Giagante, lower left is a mix of the two and lower right is Sweet Millions. The rest will be made into salsa and similar stuff.

Canned and pickled carrots (I believe Purple Snax and Red Samurai), cucumbers and cherry tomatoes with herbs.

Even after processing, the color is really intense.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Just a heads-up because it's been discussed in the thread before: onegreenworld appears to be taking orders for Sichuan peppercorn plants for shipment this Fall. US$25, 1 gallon. They use the spelling "Sechuan Pepper".

I got one from them several years ago and have been happy with it, but don't have any other experience with using them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That was me, and I will go look tonight. I’m redoing my front garden and I just need to decide where everything is going. This is just fantastic timing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SubG posted:

Just a heads-up because it's been discussed in the thread before: onegreenworld appears to be taking orders for Sichuan peppercorn plants for shipment this Fall. US$25, 1 gallon. They use the spelling "Sechuan Pepper".

I got one from them several years ago and have been happy with it, but don't have any other experience with using them.

thanks for the heads up!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

tomato got those vaccine balls

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
titers went from grape to beefsteak

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SubG posted:

Thank you! I order one of those and one Sansho to pollinate it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Motronic posted:

Thank you! I order one of those and one Sansho to pollinate it.
If you plan on trying to germinate the seeds let the thread know how it goes.

Different sources claim different things about what's needed to produce peppercorns and/or viable seed. I only have the one plant and it's been happy producing peppercorns every year (with an asterisk next to this year because it looks like the harvest is going to be smaller than previous years). I've never successfully germinated any of the seeds it's produced...but I've never successfully germinated Sichuan peppercorn seeds from any source, and I've tried many.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I spotted one at the Woodland Park zoo in Seattle, and it did have berries on it in August. I bought two+one so that I might get good production out of it. They’re all going into the same corner of the yard, and they’ll just be on the outside of a birch tree’s shadow. I’m looking forward to watching them grow into bushy things. I expect they can be pruned okay to get dense enough to fill the space, but I expect they will have some space underneath as well, and I have some great plants on my list for that short height too. I have been cooking with peppercorn more often to get everyone ready for many future years of numbing flavors.

Someone in the horticulture thread liked Annie’s Annuals and I’ve just spent a week starting a list of things I want to put in these semi-edible garden spaces and it’s going to be a problem.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SubG posted:

If you plan on trying to germinate the seeds let the thread know how it goes.

Different sources claim different things about what's needed to produce peppercorns and/or viable seed. I only have the one plant and it's been happy producing peppercorns every year (with an asterisk next to this year because it looks like the harvest is going to be smaller than previous years). I've never successfully germinated any of the seeds it's produced...but I've never successfully germinated Sichuan peppercorn seeds from any source, and I've tried many.

I'm not trying to germinate (I mean, maybe I will?) but I've always understood you get a better harvest with a compatible pollinator. Figure it's worth a shot for an extra $25. I'm no moving anytime soon, so these can be long term trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Motronic posted:

I'm not trying to germinate (I mean, maybe I will?) but I've always understood you get a better harvest with a compatible pollinator. Figure it's worth a shot for an extra $25. I'm no moving anytime soon, so these can be long term trials.

I tend to treat dioecious plants the same way. One of each will encourage future production maybe? It just seems like they'd be happier with more than one around anyway. I'm not planning on moving again for a very long time, so an extra $25 for many years does not sound like a big investment. I grabbed a couple Korean tea plants too, because I can? I have the right climate so I figured to just give it a shot.