Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the Mario thread reminded me that I've been reading charlie and the chocolate factory to my oldest son (just a couple of pages a day, he likes to read it just after supper), which I hadn't read since I was a very young kid. there are all kinds of details I'd forgotten about, like that Charlie's dad works in a toothpaste factory, the story about the chocolate castle, etc. roald dahl was probably a huge rear end in a top hat but he sure knew how to write children's books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

the Mario thread reminded me that I've been reading charlie and the chocolate factory to my oldest son (just a couple of pages a day, he likes to read it just after supper), which I hadn't read since I was a very young kid. there are all kinds of details I'd forgotten about, like that Charlie's dad works in a toothpaste factory, the story about the chocolate castle, etc. roald dahl was probably a huge rear end in a top hat but he sure knew how to write children's books.

are you going to read charlie and the great glass elevator to him afterwards? that one is especially strange

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

are you going to read charlie and the great glass elevator to him afterwards? that one is especially strange

I guess I'll see what he wants to do. this is the longest book he's been able to tolerate so far, but I think it will be a trend. he's only just turned 3 and he'll sit through a full movie if we let him (and he'd watch tv all day) so I suddenly have strong opinions about Disney movies, sesame street, etc.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah i read Great Glass Elevator a few times as a kid and could never get over the jarring transition from exploring a whimsical chocolate factory to a sequel featuring man-eating space worms

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

symbolic posted:

yeah i read Great Glass Elevator a few times as a kid and could never get over the jarring transition from exploring a whimsical chocolate factory to a sequel featuring man-eating space worms

a movie version would be pretty wild. all the unadapted roald dahl books are super weird

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Vermicious knids iirc

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Every few years I’ll catch Willy Wonka on tv and forget just how funny it is. Wonderful movie, wonderful book.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Vermicious knids iirc

thats right. they spell out a word with their bodies in one of the illustrations

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I read great glass elevator when I was a kid and I don’t remember much except that it was super weird. Road Dahl ftw tbh

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Another weird book I loved was the phantom tollbooth. *Jay Leno voice* you seen this? You heard about this?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

thats right. they spell out a word with their bodies in one of the illustrations

Lol cool the other thing I mainly remember is that Vitamin H makes you grow Horns

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Another weird book I loved was the phantom tollbooth. *Jay Leno voice* you seen this? You heard about this?

I remember enjoying it and also the movie, but I couldn’t tell you one thing about it except it had a tollbooth. A phantom tollbooth.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

herculon posted:

I remember enjoying it and also the movie, but I couldn’t tell you one thing about it except it had a tollbooth. A phantom tollbooth.

A watchdog who is literally a watch, Officer Shrift who is short, Silence is Golden, and Jumping to Conclusions are some of the things I remember

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Caithness posted:

A watchdog who is literally a watch, Officer Shrift who is short, Silence is Golden, and Jumping to Conclusions are some of the things I remember

Yeah that’s jogging my memory. The movie was on Criterion Channel but they took it off before I got around to watching it.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

my youngest brother was in a play version of this in high school. it was pretty wild

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Caithness posted:

Also a place called the doldrums where nothing ever happens and a mathemagician? I think the movie was a Chuck Jones production too

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Also a place called the doldrums where nothing ever happens and a mathemagician? I think the movie was a Chuck Jones production too

The animated part definitely was. It had a live action part at the beginning and possibly the end. Eddie Munster played the kid.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

herculon posted:

The animated part definitely was. It had a live action part at the beginning and possibly the end. Eddie Munster played the kid.

Yeah that’s right. Supposedly there’s a live action/CGI version in the works but seems to be in development hell

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

I can STILL remember after all this time that Wonka invents some kind of de-aging candy and one of Charlie's grandmas takes so much of it, she gets sucked into minus world and they have to go rescue her. I probably haven't read it in 30 years.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I can STILL remember after all this time that Wonka invents some kind of de-aging candy and one of Charlie's grandmas takes so much of it, she gets sucked into minus world and they have to go rescue her. I probably haven't read it in 30 years.

roald dahl ftw

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i have a huge hardcover Annotated Edition of the phantom tollbooth. right now it's buried in a moving box but ill get some pics whenever we unload that. looked really interesting and i haven't read the book or seen the cartoon in like 20 years. anyway i found this annotated edition a few years ago and i haven't read past the first page. cheers

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i think the knids spelled out "SCRAM".

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lmfao

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

b_d posted:

i think you are right

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I loved that book, always thought it would make a good game with how they go from place to place exploring and having self contained adventures

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

b_d posted:

i have a huge hardcover Annotated Edition of the phantom tollbooth. right now it's buried in a moving box but ill get some pics whenever we unload that. looked really interesting and i haven't read the book or seen the cartoon in like 20 years. anyway i found this annotated edition a few years ago and i haven't read past the first page. cheers

I have that for Alice, it's enormous.

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

I read this once as a kid and there is a scene at the beginning when they first fly the elevator. One of the buttons says “cubeways” and I broke my brain trying to think about what that was. Still think about it sometimes even though it was like 30 years ago.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I read this once as a kid and there is a scene at the beginning when they first fly the elevator. One of the buttons says “cubeways” and I broke my brain trying to think about what that was. Still think about it sometimes even though it was like 30 years ago.

I think that's when you add the Game Boy Player.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

reading this made me remember that she or the other grandma right before or after that turned like 400 years old and i distinctly remember the line "she just passed the Mayflower!" when she was getting rapidly aged down again in real time. i had completely forgot how much absurdity they cut out to make the movie and iirc Dahl absolutely hated it

b_d posted:

it was, the Quentin Blake illustration popped into my head immediately after reading that

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

symbolic posted:

reading this made me remember that she or the other grandma right before or after that turned like 400 years old and i distinctly remember the line "she just passed the Mayflower!" when she was getting rapidly aged down again in real time. i had completely forgot how much absurdity they cut out to make the movie and iirc Dahl absolutely hated it

yeah, he did hate it. someone bought me the 40th anniversary of the movie awhile back and there's a book that details a lot of the development (one of my favorite stories is the director getting furious at a reviewer who didn't like the movie because the oompa loompas were orange instead of african pygmies).

my favorite thing is in the special features, they kind of do a "where are they now" with the ticket kids and like, charlie is a veterinarian, violet is a talent manager, etc. but then the guy who plays augustus gloop shows up and he's just... augustus gloop. like he has the suspenders and everything, it's like the rest of the cast pranked him and told him they were all coming in character.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wasn't it the only film the kid who played Charlie ever did? He was probably lucky to avoid the horrors of the child acting world lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Wasn't it the only film the kid who played Charlie ever did? He was probably lucky to avoid the horrors of the child acting world lol

yup. he was 12 when he was in the movie, it was his first role, and he got a bunch of offers right afterward, but turned them all down. he'll still talk about being in the movie and doesn't seem to be bitter about it at all, but mostly stays away from showbiz. the rare case of a child actor just living his best life after he grew up.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lmao

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

He grew up to become a southern lawyer

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
he clearly lives in germany and he's a typical bavarian. disgusting! but we cannot fault him for his races genetic predispositions. revolting however.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just remembered that this exists

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Just remembered that this exists

what??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002