Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Honestly that's still preferable to 2% of the male population wasting at least themselves if not many many more, let alone what a false Dragon could wreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Honestly that's still preferable to 2% of the male population wasting at least themselves if not many many more, let alone what a false Dragon could wreak.

From 1492 to the beginning of the 1600s, 90% of the pre-Columbian population of the Americas died (primarily from pandemics, secondarily from deliberate extermination), which worked out to about 10% of the entire world's population. I don't recall the books ever giving real numbers about how many male channelers there were or how many other people got killed, but if our number is "2% of the male population" then that at least is clearly much less severe than settler colonialism was in even its first century of existence. Again, settler colonialism: really bad!

https://www.pri.org/stories/2019-01-31/european-colonization-americas-killed-10-percent-world-population-and-caused

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I was basing that on the 2-3% of the populace that channel, per The World of. And again - those lands were then colonised, because there wasn't a constant existential crisis going on. As bad as that is, it isn't an ongoing event in the way the 3rd age was. 3000 years of effectively being under siege has consequences.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Also going back to why the oaths made Aes Sedai less trusted: Dark Friends

Something like 15-20% of the tower were dark friends, not at all bound by the oaths. They could just straight up lie to people and still had the oaths to hide behind if challenged

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah I always imagined the stone as unnaturally big and smooth, clearly something wrought by the power and not made by normal means

I remember Mat climbing the outside of it was absolutely shocking because of how difficult and dangerous it was.

seaborgium posted:

They had a river close enough for trading ships, the Sea Folk wanted some land on it near Caemlyn and it was important enough to Elayne that she didn't want to just give it up.

Other than "ships and supplies", what do they actually provide for the last battle? I remembver a ton of channelers making them obsolete, and don't recallt hem doing jack poo poo. Or maybe there was a paragraph or a statement once.

Hooplah posted:

walling the city against the ocean but excluding the river mouth. the only major roads coming out of three separate gates all lined up next to each other on the same wall :bigwhat:

As far as we know, there could have been a different reason for them excluding the river. I don't recall them being particularly powerful in the world. Taking control of the river may have been a step too far with a neighboring power, or an infringement with someone else they're trying told peace with. Since it isn't addressed, we'll never know.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I remember Mat climbing the outside of it was absolutely shocking because of how difficult and dangerous it was.

You're misremembering. Mat got smuggled in by Julien, Rand climbed the Stone. But it was shocking for exactly the reason you cite.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Other than "ships and supplies", what do they actually provide for the last battle? I remembver a ton of channelers making them obsolete, and don't recallt hem doing jack poo poo. Or maybe there was a paragraph or a statement once.

Bandar Eban would have starved without Sea Folk resupply, for once. There's probably a ton of logistical poo poo in the background, aided by widespread use of Traveling at the very end. But I also don't remember them playing a big part in the actual Last Battle itself. No mention of Windfinders using the One Power to wreck trollocs.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The storm that was tearing apart the wolf dream was trying to take hold in the real world, the Sea Folk spent the whole of the Last Battle fighting that with the Bowl.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Torrannor posted:

You're misremembering. Mat got smuggled in by Julien, Rand climbed the Stone. But it was shocking for exactly the reason you cite.
Mat got into the Stone by blowing up an arrow slit with fireworks. He was planning for that to be a distraction while Julian smuggled him in, but changed his mind when he saw how huge the hole was.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaxyon posted:

It's more of a vulva :eng101:

Though it's hard to say whether that's intentional, accidental, subconcious, or reader rorscharch

I think it's related to the famous poem:

(TTTO "If You're Happy And You Know It")

If it's longer than it's wide, then it's a dick!
If it's longer than it's wide, then it's a dick!
If it's shorter than it's wide
Simply turn it on its side
Now it's longer than it's wide, and it's a dick!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

TheFluff posted:

this, though, is something that doesn't actually happen in reality. states and governments collapse, yes, and settlements are abandoned, but even in extreme cases like the black death, the thirty years war and the post-columbian genocide of the majority of all native americans, abandoned nations have never actually been a thing. even abandoned cities are relatively rare; it's much more common for people to build a new city on top of the ruins of the old one or just keep living in the ruins. as society breaks down though cities become harder to support, but outside of the most inhospitable deserts and the most remote islands there aren't any places on earth that have ever actually been abandoned by humans.

these empty landscapes are a common trope in fantasy though and it's probably because tolkien did it in the lord of the rings, but a lot of it is just cargo culting. wheel of time actually does a pretty decent job of evoking a sense of a world with a long history, but the whole emptiness schtick seems like something that was just imitated without understanding why it was so important in lotr.

yeah, he did it because tolkien did it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

seaborgium posted:

They had a river close enough for trading ships, the Sea Folk wanted some land on it near Caemlyn and it was important enough to Elayne that she didn't want to just give it up.

why not build the city in the good trading spot in the first place?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyChecker posted:

why not build the city in the good trading spot in the first place?

With rivers, the answer is usual related to flooding

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

But in any case, it does make it less strange that these cities, with walls that are for all we know quite old, haven't hugely outgrown said walls.

Both Cairhien and Caemlyn have been noted as having done so:

Caemlyn had the Inner City and Outer City, and a band of buildings outside the Outer City walls.

Cairhien had Cairhien proper, and a band of buildings outside the walls (though in recent memory that was slashed and burned twice by Aiel).

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I think it's also probably important to consider that the Pattern is an active participant in the fate of the world. Like, how much of Ishmael's meddling - hell, even his being half-bound in the first place - is the Dark One's power being able to defy the Pattern, and how much of it is the Pattern itself demanding conditions for the Dragon Reborn?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I was looking at art of Wheel of Time characters the other day, and it seems like there are two main sources: John Seamas Gallagher and Ariel Burghess. Here are their depictions of Thom Merrilin, respectively.

I guess Gallagher is more stylized and characterful and Burghess tries more for realism. It's still pretty great to see.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
How quickly we forget the last turning of the wheel:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Posting art from this book should be a probatable offence

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

lollin thinking of big time pop culture podcasts and sites having to read and interpret and publicly discuss the BBoBA.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Fanart for WoT is way behind like every other pop culture thing in history. It’s pretty impressive when you think about it.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

"Hey kids, wanna knuckle my mustachios?"

I've never seen this, but it's horrifying. Where did it come from?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The book of bad art is a lovecraftian artefact.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

William Bear posted:

"Hey kids, wanna knuckle my mustachios?"

I've never seen this, but it's horrifying. Where did it come from?

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250846402

Commonly referred to as the Big Book of Bad Art. If you click on the "Look inside" you can see a few more examples along with some of the old book covers.

Rarity posted:

Posting art from this book should be a probatable offence

Death is lighter than a feather...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the classic book covers have some vague amount of charm to them. this other art decidedly does not

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Commonly referred to as the Big Book of Bad Art. If you click on the "Look inside" you can see a few more examples along with some of the old book covers.

Lanfear's got a lazy eye. Probably why she's afraid to leave the house in her bathrobe. She looks a little like someone famous, can't put my finger on who.

Myddraal with bowlcuts, lol.

I agree that good Wheel of Time art can be hard to find. It's really easy to find detailed drawings of the female characters, though.

Oh, so that's what a "swelling bosom" looks like. Thanks!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Old Thom Merrilin is a merry fellow!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well if the show ends up even mildly popular we’ll probably get good merch out of it at the least. Or they’ll just use the old art which would be way funnier.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it'll be weird when the actors become the 'face' for various characters going forward in art of them

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Death is lighter than a feather...

I still have a copy of that somewhere

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I still have a copy of that somewhere

Keep it secret...keep it safe....I'd recommend a Stasis Box

edit: The look of Pete Wentz is Fear

Brolander fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 15, 2021

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
WoT stuff outside the Books themselves was hard to come by. Was just the BBoBA and the PC game for a looooong while.

I own both.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

MadHat posted:

WoT stuff outside the Books themselves was hard to come by. Was just the BBoBA and the PC game for a looooong while.

I own both.

I gotta say though, for as much as darrell k sweet's work generally missed the mark both artistically and subject matter wise it is still invocative as gently caress and makes me want to exist in that strange world.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 15, 2021

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
As someone who was used to the artwork in AD&D 2nd edition players handbooks, DM guides, and monstrous compendiums, the BBoBA pretty much nailed my expectations for a pseudo PNP RPG guidebook. It's objectively terrible, but the quality level and clumsy aesthetic was very familiar.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

aparmenideanmonad posted:

As someone who was used to the artwork in AD&D 2nd edition players handbooks, DM guides, and monstrous compendiums, the BBoBA pretty much nailed my expectations for a pseudo PNP RPG guidebook. It's objectively terrible, but the quality level and clumsy aesthetic was very familiar.

I was struggling to figure out why this awful art looked familiar and it's exactly this

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

MadHat posted:

I own both.

In 2010, German power metal band Blind Guardian released this song, from the point of view of Rand al'Thor. It's pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCLsqg05boo

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
It is extremely expensive to get good illustrators especially if you're filling an art book.

You can't afford Michael Whelan for 150+ pages.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

William Bear posted:

In 2010, German power metal band Blind Guardian released this song, from the point of view of Rand al'Thor. It's pretty cool.

Guardian was a huge reason why I started reading the series :v:

They are so good live.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

William Bear posted:

Ride in to obsession is another one they did, and it also owns real hard.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is LOTR not WOT but I love their song "Into The Storm" off the aptly named "Nightfall in Middle Earth", just because the first verse is so applicable to every day life:

quote:

Give it to me
I must have it
Precious treasure
I deserve it

You can replace "treasure" with literally any two-syllable word and it fits, eg:

Give it to me, I must have it, precious pizza, I deserve it

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 16, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wonder if the show will be able to to at least somewhat convey that rand is basically a walking atomic bomb and everyone around him knows this and basically flinches every time he has a weird outburst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It was suggested, either here or in the show thread, that this is part of the purpose of giving Logain more screentime: show just how powerful a false Dragon is, how difficult to capture, while the narrative is building up Charming Farmboy Rand. I think it's a good idea.