Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Also for what it's worth, if any people with keepers want to offer up their players for trades for these picks, that should work now. If it doesn't let me know and i can push through any trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Some scoring changes (let me know if you have any problems with these)

Scoring 10-19 now is now 2 bonus points instead of +1
Scoring 30-49 is now 4 bonus points instead of + 3
Scoring 50 is now 10 bonus points instead of + 5

Rebounding has changed. Offensive and defensive rebounds are now worth different amounts.
5 points for every 3 offensive rebounds (1.67 points per)
3 points for every 2 defensive rebounds (1.5 per)

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Awesome thanks Rick. Last year was a lot of fun and I can only assume that this year will be even more fun, because I will win

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Really looking forward to a full season of adding and dropping Kyle Kuzma, at least until Kuzma superfan Pop Dog scoops him up for good

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Okay the draft is on. I hope the second round works since, well, maybe it won't.

The Maestro posted:

Awesome thanks Rick. Last year was a lot of fun and I can only assume that this year will be even more fun, because I will win

Ha...we'll see about that.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Loving the new teams names.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I’ll make a pick in a minute when i figure out how this works on my phone

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Dutchy posted:

Really looking forward to a full season of adding and dropping Kyle Kuzma, at least until Kuzma superfan Pop Dog scoops him up for good

with extra people kyle kuzma might....he might be good

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

I just made my pick and I think the draft is busted as it's just rolling through the normal rest of the round 1 order now

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cart Mountain posted:

I just made my pick and I think the draft is busted as it's just rolling through the normal rest of the round 1 order now

Okay, I think I fixed it. Or was able to manipulate it into something that was fair.

Basically only y'all are picking round 1 and round 2, then it starts with Dejan on round 3 which you don't pick in (although it's technically round 2). Then you finish round 4 (technically round 3)

Then from there the draft just takes on its normal snaking.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Rick posted:

Okay, I think I fixed it. Or was able to manipulate it into something that was fair.

Basically only y'all are picking round 1 and round 2, then it starts with Dejan on round 3 which you don't pick in (although it's technically round 2). Then you finish round 4 (technically round 3)

Then from there the draft just takes on its normal snaking.

Oh I was wondering why my emails suggested it had started and restarted. Thanks for clarifying.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Whoa, how am I not in this w Shelob City? Did I miss some signup step or something?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

rivetz posted:

Whoa, how am I not in this w Shelob City? Did I miss some signup step or something?

It’s says you pick after me? Or did Rick just fix that now.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Red Rox posted:

It’s says you pick after me? Or did Rick just fix that now.
It's my column but it's Shadowfax's pick. Spent like ten minutes fuckin around trying to figure out how to draft someone before I noticed

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Oops, Chronicles --- sorry about that, I got really confused too and undid your pick. But you can just do it over again.

So the grid is unreliable at the top right now. If you look in the little boxes it says who is picking. So the new people are getting a couple rounds, then it should proceed mostly to normal.

Here is the actual order:

Ho! Jim Boylendil, Jim Boylendillo
Borimir Don't Lie
Shadowfax, Lord of all H-O-R-S-E
Borimir Don't Lie
Tom Bombadilo Young Team
Samwise ShootThree
You Tolkien About Practice??
Low Ry-der
EricCartman2000atYahoo
The Orcs Were Setting Fruity Picks, But Morgoth Could Ball
Durin's Tallest Kin
Balrog Balls
SheLob City
Saruman Shoulda Hooped Cuz He Was Tall As Hell
Tom Bombadilo Young Team
Samwise ShootThree
Low Ry-der
EricCartman2000atYahoo
Durin's Tallest Kin
Balrog Balls
SheLob City
Borimir Don't Lie

Then the order is normal from there.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 16, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The goal was to make sure the new people got some picks first, since they don't have keepers, and also less knowledge of how the scoring system works.

Did I go too far in that direction? Should we start over with like snaking after third? That would give them the first picks in round 1 and 2, but everyone else would also pick round 1.

Sorry this is my first keeper league so I might have flubbed it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I mean the current system is basically the same as if we had picks 11+, then it snaked and we started round 2, so it seems pretty normal. The round names are just screwy

Also I was second in the first round, i would say it was a little off if i got first in both even though it's not much of a difference

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
This seems overbalanced, I don't see why we don't revert to serpentine coming out of the second. If we go off the idea that the keepers are top five picks, then we should proceed as if they were are picks at the top of the first, and we therefore slot in at the bottom of the second. Assuming that all keepers would be gone in the first two rounds, that translates to my 2nd and 3rd picks being 25 (okeedoke) and 38 (huh?) Makes me wish I hadn't selected a keeper. I'm fine w compensation in the second but the third is ugh imo.

Current setup effectively guarantees the new teams a pair of quality players in the first two rounds that can carry a team, that should be the goal.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

rivetz posted:

This seems overbalanced, I don't see why we don't revert to serpentine coming out of the second. If we go off the idea that the keepers are top five picks, then we should proceed as if they were are picks at the top of the first, and we therefore slot in at the bottom of the second. Assuming that all keepers would be gone in the first two rounds, that translates to my 2nd and 3rd picks being 25 (okeedoke) and 38 (huh?) Makes me wish I hadn't selected a keeper. I'm fine w compensation in the second but the third is ugh imo.

Current setup effectively guarantees the new teams a pair of quality players in the first two rounds that can carry a team, that should be the goal.

So the way I originally had it was like this:

Borimir Don't Lie

Tom Bombadilo Young Team
Samwise ShootThree
Low Ry-der
EricCartman2000atYahoo
Durin's Tallest Kin
Balrog Balls
SheLob City

Borimir Don't Lie

SheLob City
Balrog Balls
Durin's Tallest Kin
EricCartman2000atYahoo
Low Ry-der
Samwise ShootThree
Tom Bombadilo Young Team

Then it snaked normally. Was this better?

DeimosRising posted:

I mean the current system is basically the same as if we had picks 11+, then it snaked and we started round 2, so it seems pretty normal. The round names are just screwy

That is what I was going for.

Rick fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 17, 2021

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Rick posted:

Then it snaked normally. Was this better?
100%, though I won't speak for anybody else. Current system has Tom Bombadillo Young Team getting a keeper, 17, and 27, vs Saruman Shoulda gets a keeper, 26, and 36. That's a huge gap between two teams that should be treated identically. Flipping to serpentine in 2nd vs 3rd seems better imo.

Also I'm probably missing something obvious but the other option here would be to just release the keepers from any teams that we can all agree are inactive, i.e. haven't contacted you and haven't posted in this thread in 2021 or whatever. Anyone too busy to post a "yeah sure" even once in the last six months isn't gonna be engaged in the season anyway; I'd rather have a smaller league than one with 50% dead teams, especially If the injury situation is anywhere as bad.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 17, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Everyone did manage to contact me; the inactive people had pretty good reasons.

I am curious what others think though too. I'm not opposed to starting over. It is a Something Awful Fantasy Draft tradition.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Well I am totally confused so maybe don't listen to me. But for what it's worth I say we go with rivetz idea to revert to serpentine coming out of the second.

And then not do the keeper thing next year.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

it should just be they get both: the first 3 picks in their own 1st round and also they get top of the draft order for the normal draft? and to make the draft board not look like poo poo you could just restart the draft and do some commish poo poo to put their top 3 picks on their respective teams. the way it is right now they get the first 6 picks and cut off the snaking for a 3rd dip which seems overdone when 2 of the first 3 picks are probably better than some of the keepers.

e: honestly i dont even know if im reading any of this poo poo right lol

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 17, 2021

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

It wouldn't be basketball without the commissioner stepping in and saying "haha nope, rejected, try again everyone".

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Whatever you folks want is good with me

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

oops i just made my pick without checking the thread first.
im honestly cool with whatever people want.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I don't think we need a redo, once Boromir Don't Lie picks let's either shuffle the remainder or just leave as, and finish out the 2nd round w serpentine that rolls forward from there. If you're a new member you got a late first and early second just like the team you're replacing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

rivetz posted:

I don't think we need a redo, once Boromir Don't Lie picks let's either shuffle the remainder or just leave as, and finish out the 2nd round w serpentine that rolls forward from there. If you're a new member you got a late first and early second just like the team you're replacing.

The reason why I jumped to the third because if I did it like this I would have redo the whole draft by hand which is a lot.

Ghost Dog posted:

it should just be they get both: the first 3 picks in their own 1st round and also they get top of the draft order for the normal draft? and to make the draft board not look like poo poo you could just restart the draft and do some commish poo poo to put their top 3 picks on their respective teams. the way it is right now they get the first 6 picks and cut off the snaking for a 3rd dip which seems overdone when 2 of the first 3 picks are probably better than some of the keepers.

e: honestly i dont even know if im reading any of this poo poo right lol

I actually kind of like this. If there's no major objection, I will just go with this.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Seems good.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Do it!

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I was gonna propose that if someone misses something like three consecutive picks commish can auto-draft for em at their discretion or upon informal threadvote or whatever, but I just looked back at the timeline of notifications from last year's draft and the whole thing was fifteen days?!? hilariously I would've sworn it was literally like twice that long

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

every single minute dejan makes me wait this year will be pure agony

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
While you were all debating the finer points of keeper league snake drafts, I was studying the blade

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rick posted:

All right, using the prestigious rolladie.net, rolling a d100 for each of the new teams, with the highest going first (on the chance someone else wishes to join I'll just roll a d100 for them too):

The first round results are:

Ho! Jim Boylendil, Jim Boylendillo 49
Borimir Don't Lie 48
Team 11 (Chronicle's team) 77

The second round result is:
Ho! Jim Boylendil, Jim Boylendillo 63
Borimir Don't Lie 25
Team 11 58

After that they will snake in the order that they signed up because that's how it works by default and that seems fine.

Okay, I still used this to determine the starting order but other than that everything just snakes normally now, draft is back live. Sorry everyone for all the confusion.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Nah man all good - keeper system plus new teams is just asking for trouble.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Red Rox posted:

Nah man all good - keeper system plus new teams is just asking for trouble.

Yeah I enjoy the idea of keepers but without a better idea next year maybe we shouldn't do it.

I feel bad for making the new people all do multiple redos.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Chronicles posted:

Whatever you folks want is good with me

You are good to pick now.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Well, Jim Boylendilo is

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wait what happened? Did we start over? Why do I have Damian lillard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DeimosRising posted:

Wait what happened? Did we start over? Why do I have Damian lillard

Ok I see what we did, basically just gave the three new teams “keepers” and the first picks, that’s fine but I took harden and shadowfax took lillard i think, and boromir took Tatum? Or did I just totally miss something