Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

coolusername posted:

I'm looking for non-depressing light sci-fi or fantasy reads that are well written but aren't going to take a lot of brainpower to process, and with at least nominally happy endings - YA or adult both fine. Anything that fits the template of "team of conflicting strangers pulls together and in the end forms a new family" or "two enemies are forced to team up and fall in like/love" will probably land well, or anything similar to Martha Well's Murderbot novella, Becky Chamber's wayfarers trilogy, Catherynne Valente's Space Opera, Terry Pratchett in general, etc. But heavy priority on the 'easy to read/low brain power' requirements: while it doesn't have to be dumb, it can't be a China-Mieville-making-sweet-love-to-an-art-gallery-brochure type of read.

There are a lot of good recommendations already posted. I would add This is how you lose the time war under your second prompt. The books in The Expanse are very easy reads and fit in your first prompt apart from the fact that I have no idea if there will be a happy ending or not since the last book hasn't come out yet. Additionally most goons seem to prefer the TV adaptation (YMMV, I do not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

coolusername posted:

I'm looking for non-depressing light sci-fi or fantasy reads that are well written but aren't going to take a lot of brainpower to process, and with at least nominally happy endings - YA or adult both fine. Anything that fits the template of "team of conflicting strangers pulls together and in the end forms a new family" or "two enemies are forced to team up and fall in like/love" will probably land well, or anything similar to Martha Well's Murderbot novella, Becky Chamber's wayfarers trilogy, Catherynne Valente's Space Opera, Terry Pratchett in general, etc. But heavy priority on the 'easy to read/low brain power' requirements: while it doesn't have to be dumb, it can't be a China-Mieville-making-sweet-love-to-an-art-gallery-brochure type of read.

Pantomime by Laura Lam

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Boogoose posted:

I need to get my elderly father reading crime/adventure/technothriller books that aren't written by garbage racists. He's in to a lot of Clive Cussler and Tom Clancy however I would prefer it if he could be exposed to something with similar themes but without featuring perfidious Asiatics or swarthy hordes of the global south. I've read the first Doc Ford book and that would be a marked improvement apart from the homophobia. Carl Hiaasen stuff would probably fit the bill too.

I'm sure there's a word for the exact genre, but basically the kind of books with undemanding prose interspersed with three pages of weapon specifications or the exact method of calculating dive time in the south equator on the third Monday of the month.

He's also really into planes. So what I'm basically asking is, is there a Clive Cussler without the brain spiders?

The Wingman series by Mack Maloney, an ace fighter pilot fights against neo-nazis in a post-apocalyptic war torn United States. Several of the books have explicit anti-racist themes where he fights against the KKK (who now have fighter jets too). The author is pretty open about his politics being different than most men's fiction writers although his books are still pretty hoo-rah america and military for dads of that stripe. I'd say these lean more into men's pulp than technothriller territory though!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Boogoose posted:

I need to get my elderly father reading crime/adventure/technothriller books that aren't written by garbage racists.

I enjoyed the Bernie Rhodenbarr series by Lawrence Block. Crime mysteries solved by a catburglar

Not really all that deep, but we're comparing to Cussler here so probably fine

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

GorfZaplen posted:

The Wingman series by Mack Maloney, an ace fighter pilot fights against neo-nazis in a post-apocalyptic war torn United States. Several of the books have explicit anti-racist themes where he fights against the KKK (who now have fighter jets too). The author is pretty open about his politics being different than most men's fiction writers although his books are still pretty hoo-rah america and military for dads of that stripe. I'd say these lean more into men's pulp than technothriller territory though!

One of the Wingman books involves an invasion from a literal asiatic horde.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gnoman posted:

One of the Wingman books involves an invasion from a literal asiatic horde.

Lol welp, serves me for only reading one of them 😬

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fall's coming, so I'm looking for cozy, low-stakes fiction with great characters. Genre doesn't matter all that much. Hopefully a series or at least a bunch of similar books. Any suggestions?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Manager Hoyden posted:

Fall's coming, so I'm looking for cozy, low-stakes fiction with great characters. Genre doesn't matter all that much. Hopefully a series or at least a bunch of similar books. Any suggestions?

Shotgun spread of recommendations, and coziness is subjective, but:

To Kill A Mockingbird; Something Wicked This Way Comes; The Thief of Always; The Magic Christian; Mrs. Caliban; The Ballad of the Sad Cafe; True Grit; Norwood; A Prayer for Owen Meany (or other John Irving); Moby Dick; The Art of Fielding; The Remains of the Day; Sea Monsters (Chloe Aridjis); Winesburg, Ohio

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
not a series but the coziest book i know is Leonard & Hungry Paul by Rónán Hession

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Spoon River Anthology is a great low-stakes character piece, assuming you're okay with poetry and death themes. (It's a collection of poems from the perspective of various dead residents of a 19th-century American small town, remembering their lives and deaths; it can go pretty dark, and is obviously not a happy read all the way through, so it may not fit your coziness standards.)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for basically a book/series thats like Dune but medieval fantasy instead of scifi: mystical, esoteric, maybe a little druggy

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for basically a book/series thats like Dune but medieval fantasy instead of scifi: mystical, esoteric, maybe a little druggy

Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin
King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany
Nine Princes In Amber by Roger Zelazny

All three are pretty short and self-contained, but Earthsea and Amber each continue as a full series.

My buddy who's been reading through Fantasy lately told me to check out The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie and The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Dunno how druggy those are, though. He also loved Between Two Fires, which I know you liked, so your tastes may be similar.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 27, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gonna check all those out, ty Fran!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Franchescanado posted:

Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin
King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany
Nine Princes In Amber by Roger Zelazny

All three are pretty short and self-contained, but Earthsea and Amber each continue as a full series.

My buddy who's been reading through Fantasy lately told me to check out The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie and The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Dunno how druggy those are, though. He also loved Between Two Fires, which I know you liked, so your tastes may be similar.

The Blade Itself is not druggy at all. Maybe caffeinated. It's good though.

The Way of Kings, well it's written by a Mormon so druginess isn't even a consideration. Also good, but I haven't read the most recent volume in the series (because I've forgotten enough that I should reread the previous three books and that's a big ask, time-wise. They're huge books)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Branderson blows and is almost exactly the opposite of what Kvlt! is looking for.

Edit: Just remembered the Dominions of Irth trilogy, by Adam Lee (also released under the author's real name, A. A. Attanasio, in England and more recently as an ebook). I picked up the first book, The Dark Shore, at Half Price; it seemed unusual and entertainingly overwrought. Haven't gotten around to reading it, but it definitely has more than a bit of Dune in it. The handful of reviews on Goodreads and Amazon are glowing.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 27, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe is much more in line with this than Sanderson, imo. But it is technically sci-fi, just in a fantasy setting! The Shadow of the Torturer is really fantastic

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

ER Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros is cool.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So, I finished Dark Matter and I have Thin Air by Michelle Paver on my list. Any other recommendations for things with a similar feeling?

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I am currently looking for historical fiction titles that fit in with the Halloween season - these can be books with a horror element, or with a good dose of the supernatural, paranormal or fantastical mixed in, and also good mysteries will fit the bill too.

Past historical fiction titles that I've read that fit my Halloween-y vibe include:

- The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle
- The Devil and the Dark Water and The 7 ˝ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle Stuart Turton
- The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron and the rest of the Cemetery of Forgotten books series
- Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I'm interested in unconventional/anachronistic translations of ancient and medieval poetry, along the lines of Maria Headley's recent take on Beowulf or Birk and Sander's Divine Comedy. Especially translations of the Homeric epics in unconventional ways.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ScienceSeagull posted:

I'm interested in unconventional/anachronistic translations of ancient and medieval poetry, along the lines of Maria Headley's recent take on Beowulf or Birk and Sander's Divine Comedy. Especially translations of the Homeric epics in unconventional ways.

I expect you've read Emily Wilson's translation of the Odyssey, but if not I recommend it. It's apparently true to the text but reads fresher than the other translations I've tried.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Don't read that; read Christopher Logue.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ScienceSeagull posted:

there's a psycho Gilgamesh translation that uses this weird restricted English called Globish which is mostly based around words used for business, the idea being that cuneiform grew out of financial record keeping with a restricted vocabulary: https://www.carcanet.co.uk/cgi-bin/indexer?product=9781784106188

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ScienceSeagull posted:

war nerd illiad?

https://books.google.co.jp/books/about/The_War_Nerd_Iliad.html?id=Jb1XnQAACAAJ&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Those all sound like just the sort of thing I'm looking for, thank you three!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm not looking for a specific book recommendation, but can anyone recommend some blogs or vlogs that focus specifically on LGBTQ stories and authors?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Who What Now posted:

I'm not looking for a specific book recommendation, but can anyone recommend some blogs or vlogs that focus specifically on LGBTQ stories and authors?

I like to read https://www.tor.com which highlights a lot of that content and features numerous authors, although it's definitely not LGBTQ exclusive.

Edit: here's an example just scrolling down the first page. https://www.tor.com/2021/10/12/book-reviews-the-heartbreak-bakery-by-a-r-capetta/

Edit 2: more still from the first page! https://www.tor.com/2021/10/12/moving-beyond-binaries-in-gender-based-magic-systems-the-wheel-of-time-and-iron-widow/

External Organs fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 13, 2021

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a good book or two about the Korean War? It's the only major US conflict I've never really delved into. I'm not looking for solely a blow-by-blow account; I'd really like to read about the political decision-making, the Army's unpreparedness and overconfidence, foolish decisions that brought China into the war, the debate over deploying nuclear weapons, etc. Thanks.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Looking for a good climate/sci fi novel written by someone other than KSR or Paolo Bacigalupi, but definitely more in line with the kind of cyberpunk dystopian vibe of Windup Girl than KSR's utopias.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Sea and Summer, by George Turner. Also published as Drowning Towers in the US market.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for a good climate/sci fi novel written by someone other than KSR or Paolo Bacigalupi, but definitely more in line with the kind of cyberpunk dystopian vibe of Windup Girl than KSR's utopias.

Doggerland by Ben Smith

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The New Wilderness by Diane Cook

Edit: not cyberpunk at all though

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Anyone have a good general history book on Kenya, one that includes pre-colonial up to independence?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for really strange, bizarre, out there science fiction. Stuff like stories set incredibly far into the future that most things are foreign to us, or things in space that are strange beyond reality. The more esoteric and psychedelic the better.

Horror elements/horrific stuff is ok but I'm trying to avoid Lovecraftian stuff or stuff that's specifically horror only.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for really strange, bizarre, out there science fiction. Stuff like stories set incredibly far into the future that most things are foreign to us, or things in space that are strange beyond reality. The more esoteric and psychedelic the better.

Horror elements/horrific stuff is ok but I'm trying to avoid Lovecraftian stuff or stuff that's specifically horror only.

Diaspora by Greg Egan
Embassytown by China Mieville
The third book of the Three-Body series by Cixin Liu, Death's End. The whole series is kind of perfect for what you're looking for, though.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Olaf Stapledon's Star Maker covers the history of the universe from beginning to end and is full of trippy, out-there stuff, especially for something written in the 1930s. You should read his earlier book Last and First Men first, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Action Jacktion posted:

You should read his earlier book Last and First Men first, though.

I was thinking of including that in my recommendation, but I bounced off that one hard, it's just way too of its time, imo.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Ilium and it's sequel Olympos by Dan Simmons are a very good combo although he kind of loses the plot at the end, and it's all probably an allegory for how Muslims hate the Jews.

That being said, robots who, on an individual level, spend most of their vast processing power on deconstructing Proust and Shakespeare is extremely my poo poo and worth the price of admission.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

M. John Harrison's Kefahuchi Tract books, or Michael Moorcock's Second Ether trilogy. Doris Lessing's Canopus in Argos series might suit you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Cosmicomics, by Italo Calvino.