Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

It's been a very long time since I read the books but my take was always that Jordan probably tried to rationalize/explain channeling a bit more than he probably should have. All the details lead to rules lawyering and I don't know if that was necessarily intended.

I mean, yes, on one hand it's a pretty formalized system in that there's a number of fixed "spells" (weaves) that seem universal with exactly the same effects for everyone even though in some cases there's completely different ways of accomplishing them (see e.g. gateways). There's also a lot of seemingly completely arbitrary rules for certain weaves (again gateways with the knowledge of the starting point thing, or all the rules about forming circles) that makes it seem like it's a system with a lot of rigidity to it, with not a whole lot of room for individual expression. Weaves are (re)discovered, not invented, as if their ideal form always existed in some way, like in Plato's allegory of the cave.

On the other hand the text also supports a much more individualistic and perhaps "post-modern" (scare quotes intentional) view of weaving, where they key thing is not so much the exact weave but rather about intent and how the channeler thinks, feels and perceives. It's explicitly called out that if you learn to do something a certain way, that seems to fix your perception more or less forever and re-learning to do it a different way later will never work as well for you as the first way, and it's also mentioned that e.g. hand gestures can become part of a weave for some individuals. There's also a lot of examples where people just poke things with Spirit or whatever. In this view you really can do almost anything you think you can do, and talents are more of a result of approaching problems in a certain way, or something like that.

While complex systems are appealing to nerds, I honestly think rationalizing magic too much takes away from the narrative. It's magic, it doesn't have to make sense. If you lean too heavily into the rules approach you end up with poo poo like DBZ power levels, and if you go even further you finally you end up in the ninth circle of hell - the LitRPG.

The one thing I'd say is necessary is things like "as well have a bird teach a fish how to fly, or a bird how to swim", and how weaves get way more powerful having men and women work together (and all the reasons why neither sex is eager to do that). Or how male Traveling is like boring a hole through the Pattern while female is bringing both locations together. The whole theme of "men and women are fundamentally different and yet the same, but only reach their full potential together." Which of course has the whole gender essentialism problems we've discussed to death but I think there are ways around that.

I'd even change some things to follow that theme, like men can only Travel to ground they know well while women can only go from ground they know - and using the trick of channeling to learn fast is best achieved alternating men and women.

Also I've always thought of channeling and weaving and the Pattern as the same thing - you're using the fundamental threads of creation and weaving a detail into the Pattern itself, using the same Source that drives the wheel spinning the lace of an Age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Man, Lord of Chaos rules so hard. I like how if you gloss over a sentence or two you'll miss things like rand killing a warder with his bare hands, then maiming the other so badly with the first guy's sword he dies upon the Healing attempt

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TheFluff posted:

While complex systems are appealing to nerds, I honestly think rationalizing magic too much takes away from the narrative. It's magic, it doesn't have to make sense. If you lean too heavily into the rules approach you end up with poo poo like DBZ power levels, and if you go even further you finally you end up in the ninth circle of hell - the LitRPG.

Maybe this is revealing me as a hyper nerd but I love it when writers go into the weeds regarding magic poo poo. Saying boom this is magic I find uninteresting.

It having rules, structures, hacks, or even better, a thematic expression of what the book is trying to express, ala Earthsea, is def my poo poo.

Hell a somewhat mediocre series that builds itself on an inventive and interesting expression of the harsh world its depicting, like that series I can't remember where magic users directly get their advanced abilities from tattooing and maiming others they collect so that other magic users won't kill them and make them impotent, makes them interesting in turn

E: it's loving Runelords

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 18, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also DBZ never explained poo poo about why these people had those powers other than training

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Also dragon ball z was kick-rear end so I don't get the problem with comparing stuff to it

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheFluff posted:

I think both heavily explained magic, as well as more "mysterious" magic can work very well. But they must fit the story. Magic being something unexplained that just some wizards did works very well in Lord of the Rings and the First Law books, for example. Thoroughly explained magic makes some of the plot twist in Brandon Sanderson's books obvious in hindsight, but still mindblowing when you first read them.

"Technobabble" overexplained magic fails in the Sword of Truth books (like so many else in the series), while Rothfuss writes books that have both detailed explanation (Sympathy) and work in the classical mystical way (Naming), and he falls flat with both.

WoT I think necessitates going from a fairly unexplained magic system to becoming quite a bit more technical once our PoV characters reach the relevant stages in their lives. First they were outsiders seeing the Aes Sedai (and Forsaken) do amazing stuff, then they became the mages themselves and obviously had very different internal thoughts about channeling.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
POWER CHARTS

https://www.tor.com/2015/10/27/the-wheel-of-time-companion-strength-chart-of-major-channelers/

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Torrannor posted:

I think both heavily explained magic, as well as more "mysterious" magic can work very well. But they must fit the story. Magic being something unexplained that just some wizards did works very well in Lord of the Rings and the First Law books, for example. Thoroughly explained magic makes some of the plot twist in Brandon Sanderson's books obvious in hindsight, but still mindblowing when you first read them.

"Technobabble" overexplained magic fails in the Sword of Truth books (like so many else in the series), while Rothfuss writes books that have both detailed explanation (Sympathy) and work in the classical mystical way (Naming), and he falls flat with both.

WoT I think necessitates going from a fairly unexplained magic system to becoming quite a bit more technical once our PoV characters reach the relevant stages in their lives. First they were outsiders seeing the Aes Sedai (and Forsaken) do amazing stuff, then they became the mages themselves and obviously had very different internal thoughts about channeling.

In WoT, magic is a part of the world, and is used by characters as a tool to accomplish goals. The text tells us about that tool, and how it's used, and we learn from character what the experience of using that tool is like. We see new uses of it as finding new ways to use an existing tool, like chainsaws being used to make sculptures instead of just chopping down trees. The possibility was always there, but someone was the first to do it, and afterwards, it becomes another task that tool can accomplish.

In the Sword of Truth series, magic is deux ex machina. It simply does what is necessary for the plot. There's no connection to previous uses, no growth or consistent restrictions. Just the need for something to be solved by magic allows magic to solve that problem.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

not this again

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

He's over two wives!!!!!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jetz0r posted:

In WoT, magic is a part of the world, and is used by characters as a tool to accomplish goals. The text tells us about that tool, and how it's used, and we learn from character what the experience of using that tool is like. We see new uses of it as finding new ways to use an existing tool, like chainsaws being used to make sculptures instead of just chopping down trees. The possibility was always there, but someone was the first to do it, and afterwards, it becomes another task that tool can accomplish.

In the Sword of Truth series, magic is deux ex machina. It simply does what is necessary for the plot. There's no connection to previous uses, no growth or consistent restrictions. Just the need for something to be solved by magic allows magic to solve that problem.

LeGuin wrote a scathing critique of poor Katherine Kurtz over the Deryni books because she felt the magic in it wasn't magical enough, but just mechanics --

quote:

“Let us consider Elfland as a great national park, a vast and beautiful place where a person goes by himself, on foot, to get in touch with reality in a special, private, profound fashion. But what happens when it is considered merely as a place to "get away to"?

Well, you know what has happened to Yosemite. Everybody comes, not with an ax and a box of matches, but in a trailer with a motorbike on the back and a motorboat on top and a butane stove, five aluminum folding chairs, and a transistor radio on the inside. They arrive totally encapsulated in a secondhand reality. And then they move on to Yellowstone, and it's just the same there, all trailers and transistors. They go from park to park, but they never really go anywhere; except when one of them who thinks that even the wildlife isn't real gets chewed up by a genuine, firsthand bear.

The same sort of thing seems to be happening to Elfland, lately.”

"From Elfland to Poughkeepsie"

There's a certain value in not explaining things too much -- in LeGuin and Tolkien and Dunsany you get a sign and a symbol and the magic flashes through the reader like the true lightning, stunning, electrifying, breathless. And some of that can be lost in the more "mechanical" modern fantasy.

But Jordan was trained as a nuclear engineer and he had a scientific mind, and the approach he took works for purposes of the story he's trying to tell -- at first it's all Wow! Such Magic! but as the story progresses the characters gain mastery and it all fits and looking backward you can say "oh, all the clues were there the whole time, that's how it works." Which is its own kind of fun.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

From a narrative perspective, what magic can be depends what you want it to do. If you want it to be mysterious and terrifying you don't need to know exactly how someone pulls off a growing-huge illusion or two channelers have a battle whose only point for the focus character is "I don't want to be anywhere near here." The mechanics need more description when the focus character is using it to solve problems, or it's a tactical center of a world-spanning war. Or maybe they don't, if you do it right and know that's what you're doing.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Barreft posted:

not this again

what was has come again. quantifying=enjoyment!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

From a narrative perspective, what magic can be depends what you want it to do. If you want it to be mysterious and terrifying you don't need to know exactly how someone pulls off a growing-huge illusion or two channelers have a battle whose only point for the focus character is "I don't want to be anywhere near here." The mechanics need more description when the focus character is using it to solve problems, or it's a tactical center of a world-spanning war. Or maybe they don't, if you do it right and know that's what you're doing.

Understanding decreases fear, and increases the satisfaction of discovery and creative application or bending of the rules.

Brandon Sanderson has extremely rigorous rules around his magic systems and I find it amazingly satisfying when characters do something incredible and I think to myself "yeah, that would totally work... why didn't I think of that?" It promotes a kind of rigorous realism to the fantasy that makes it feel grounded. It also avoids the bullshit deus-ex-machina of pulling a convenient magic trick out of nowhere. Benedict Jacka is another one where you have a guy with a very limited bag of tricks, but he exploits those to the max and punches way above his weight because people underestimate him, and that wouldn't work unless rules were clearly established and enforced.

The cost of this is that magic can seem less fantastical, weird, and fearsome if you know what's going on all the time. So which one you use will depend entirely on what story you're trying to tell.

Edit:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 19, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shageletic posted:

Maybe this is revealing me as a hyper nerd but I love it when writers go into the weeds regarding magic poo poo. Saying boom this is magic I find uninteresting.

It having rules, structures, hacks, or even better, a thematic expression of what the book is trying to express, ala Earthsea, is def my poo poo.

Hell a somewhat mediocre series that builds itself on an inventive and interesting expression of the harsh world its depicting, like that series I can't remember where magic users directly get their advanced abilities from tattooing and maiming others they collect so that other magic users won't kill them and make them impotent, makes them interesting in turn

E: it's loving Runelords

what? earthsea is completely the opposite of wot in every way, including the magic system

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

...wtf? the Mat actor left?

e: They recast Mat for season 2, this is pretty bad. It's not like recasting the Mountain

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 21, 2021

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Interested to see what the reason for that is when it inevitably leaks.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://tinyurl.com/h9883u64

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, as said in the show thread there's no note of why exactly it's happening. could be any number of reasons, so mostly we just have to wait and see what comes out sooner or later

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
maybe he didn't like the hat

Donal Finn sounds like an emonds fielder name already so, good sign

Brolander fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 21, 2021

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Barreft posted:

...wtf? the Mat actor left?

e: They recast Mat for season 2, this is pretty bad. It's not like recasting the Mountain

:ohdear:

Hopefully whatever it was doesn't derail the show. I wonder if this will affect any last minute editing choices as far as emphasizing Mat's story in S1.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Brolander posted:

maybe he didn't like the hat

Donal Finn sounds like an emonds fielder name already so, good sign

quote:

In early drafts of The Eye of the World, Dannil accompanies Moiraine, Lan, and the other main characters when they leave Emond's Field. When Robert Jordan's wife and editor, Harriet McDougal, asked him why this character had been included in the story but rarely said or did anything, he said he had plans for Dannil "around book 5." Harriet convinced him that the readers wouldn't have the patience to continue reading a novel with boring characters, and the series might never reach that point. He would later admit to Harriet that he was embarrassed at how easy it was to excise Dannil from the story. In A Memory of Light, when Dannil comments to Perrin that he thinks of what it might have been like to leave the village with them, it is a deliberate reference to the character's original conception.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

If you HAVE to lose Mat's actor, having it happen early so that Harris plays Dagger Mat and Finn plays Fortune's Fool Mat is probably the best case scenario...since they're practically different characters.

I mean obviously it sucks, but it isn't as bad as it could have been. :shrug:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Dont worry they'll replace him with viggo Mortensen Mortensen

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

jng2058 posted:

If you HAVE to lose Mat's actor, having it happen early so that Harris plays Dagger Mat and Finn plays Fortune's Fool Mat is probably the best case scenario...since they're practically different characters.

I mean obviously it sucks, but it isn't as bad as it could have been. :shrug:

It's pretty bad. The whole first season sets his story arc up. I guess they can use the dagger to corrupt him visually and the new guy looks kinda like him

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jaxyon posted:

Dont worry they'll replace him with viggo Mortensen Mortensen

Mortensen would be a great Thom.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It's weird and not great but they're obviously dropping the news now when it'll do the least damage.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

what? earthsea is completely the opposite of wot in every way, including the magic system

How much Le Guin delves into naming and the concept of truth and lies as being the thematic foundation of the series as well as its magic system is what I am comparing WoT too. It's not just a wizard doing fireballs just because. It's because there's a system, a philosophy, hell a moral point.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
"The Car'a'Car is no wetlander KIA"

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's weird and not great but they're obviously dropping the news now when it'll do the least damage.

Honestly I'm not sure this was the time it'd do the least damage, it's pretty deflating going into the first season knowing that one of the main characters has already been replaced. I'd personally rather have found out between seasons (but I guess it was probably bound to leak when he's absent from any publicity stuff or something).

I wonder if that was part of their decision to deemphasize the boys in the trailer. I dunno poo poo about how TV works but I also wonder if they might have done some stuff in editing or shot a few more scenes to deemphasize his role. He doesn't have much to do in the first book AFAIK besides being a reluctant tag-along and getting the moody dagger. Guess it depends when they found out about this.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Rip WoT show. Over before it started

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ultimately it could just be some poo poo like him not vibing well with the rest of the cast, lol

given mat's lack of a real, defined role for a bit in the beginning maybe they decided to cut their losses with the actor and just go with someone else who was probably one of the close runner-ups in auditions. assuming that a full run of the series will probably have a few seasons under it's belt then maybe in the theoretical future of the show the different guy in only season 1 will barely be of note. but i guess we won't know until anything else at all comes out about it, anyways

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Dumbledore's actor changed between films, and it never really bothered me. I want this show to be good, and I won't be discouraged by a recast, even if it's one of the core characters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torrannor posted:

Dumbledore's actor changed between films, and it never really bothered me. I want this show to be good, and I won't be discouraged by a recast, even if it's one of the core characters.

Loretta Swit played Christine Cagney in the pilot of Cagney and Lacey, but when M*A*S*H was extended for season 10 she had to drop out of a series commitment. Swit was replaced by Meg Foster, who played the role in the first half of C&L season 1 before being replaced by Sharon Gless for the remainder of the show's six year run. It's Sharon Gless who is remembered for playing Cagney.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe they can just have Mat be knocked out or asleep for the rest of the show like Marty McFly's girlfriend in the sequels

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

They'll probably already cover it in the first season, but if the Mat gets Healed from the dagger's influence scene was in the first episode of season 2, they could just hide his face before and during the Healing and then reveal it after and don't acknowledge it aside from Rand and the others giving eachother :wtf: glances.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm not really worried about a recast starting in season 2. By season 6 it'll be a silly point of trivia.

I'm officially Not Deflated.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Johnny Joestar posted:

ultimately it could just be some poo poo like him not vibing well with the rest of the cast, lol

Which would be weird, the 3 boys and Loial's actors seemed pretty buddy-buddy in the filming leaks before the covid shutdown.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I'm going with sex pest or COVID denier stuff because then I can only be pleasantly surprised when the real reason comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I think the new guy looks more like my head cannon for Mat anyways. So I'm fine with it.