Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

People hate Peggy Hill? Maybe it's because King of the Hill was before the internet got so big but I never knew there was a large backlash against her.

Now the Skylar White Principle on the other hand...

Skylar's an even worse example of sexism because she wasn't behaving badly due to trauma, she's literally the most sensible and morally good person on the entire show. She's the best person on there and people hated her for it. And the actress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Looks like WiS is going on.... right now.

https://twitter.com/erikson_steven/status/1438986047413571587

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Unless he has some weird numerical code for titling his documents, he started that last summer.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I wish he'd just abandon it instead

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

coathat posted:

I wish he'd just abandon it instead

He's rich enough he does what he wants.

He posted on his facebook about what people thought of the trilogy and a lot of people were like "meh" and he responded that made him sad, but he was doing it anyway.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

Unless he has some weird numerical code for titling his documents, he started that last summer.

maybe he only wrote the title lol

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Compatibility mode? is he writing this into a .doc file?
Unending degeneracy

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Serak posted:

Compatibility mode? is he writing this into a .doc file?
Unending degeneracy

It's microsoft word, in compatability mode, and says "saved to my Mac". So yea, big cursed energy.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Isnt he the author who wrote a book on some old rear end palm pilot like device?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

He is. And I like how you optimistically implied he's the only one.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I am the weird person who likes the Kharkanas books.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I really dig Hood and Draconus and I want to read more about them

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I wouldn't put it past Erikson to have the fight between Draconus and Anomander be told exclusively by Kadaspala.
And then write a deaf/Deaf character into the story purely so that they can be the person reporting on some sort of pivotal conversation between Hood and K'rul.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Hood's army sets off to make war on death and are never seen or heard from again.

TheBeardedCrazy
Nov 23, 2004
Beer Baron

At the end of the book the narrator will admit they made up the whole trilogy and it's still not the true story of what actually happened.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
It was all a dream. Probably Kruppe's.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don’t see how the last book can wrap up everything that people want to see in the prequel. Like, unless I’ve just totally forgotten things, no one has even become a dragon yet and the Tiste Edur aren’t even a separate faction yet. I don’t see how all that and everything related to Draconus’ kid, Hood and Dark, Shadow and Light becoming warrens can all happen.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Ethiser posted:

I don’t see how the last book can wrap up everything that people want to see in the prequel. Like, unless I’ve just totally forgotten things, no one has even become a dragon yet and the Tiste Edur aren’t even a separate faction yet. I don’t see how all that and everything related to Draconus’ kid, Hood and Dark, Shadow and Light becoming warrens can all happen.

He won't.

He just wrote a book about a fan favorite character where that character doesn't even appear.

Dude does what he wants.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
tbh I dunno how he managed to publish any books, let alone millions of words of them.

https://twitter.com/erikson_steven/status/1440458702729846788?s=19

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

tbh I dunno how he managed to publish any books, let alone millions of words of them.

https://twitter.com/erikson_steven/status/1440458702729846788?s=19

Didn't he lose the entirity of Memories of Ice back in the day? It was meant to be the second book iirc.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I will never understand people who write something that large and important to them who don't make backup saves in safe locations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Didn't he lose the entirity of Memories of Ice back in the day? It was meant to be the second book iirc.

I think I remember him saying he believed that that turned out to have some serendipitous benefit, as Deadhouse Gates got readers used to his leaping around settings and characters very early in the series.

Must have been soul crushing for him at the time, though, to lose a completed manuscript.

Save and back up regularly, authors. :eng101:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Khizan posted:

I will never understand people who write something that large and important to them who don't make backup saves in safe locations.

his backup strategy is a photograph of every page saved to icloud/google photos :downs:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Hahahahahahaha holy poo poo what is up with Fantasy authors.

IIRC grrm uses a monocrhome word processor that's older than most of the posters in this thread.

Also Erikson famously doesn't reread anything he's written after it's published, he just hopes his bad notes are accurate for continuity.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Also Erikson famously doesn't reread anything he's written after it's published, he just hopes his bad notes are accurate for continuity.

I herad about an interview where someone asked him about Kettle's father, and his response was along the lines of "uhhh I definitely knew at the time I wrote it....."

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Clark Nova posted:

his backup strategy is a photograph of every page saved to icloud/google photos :downs:

And somehow this is easier than copy/paste the word doc to another harddrive, or email to himself or his editor.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Doesn't Word have versioning? I mean.....

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Word 2003 doesn't. Which I bet is what he uses because he's cool as gently caress

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Clark Nova posted:

Ah, so if he gets hacked he's trying to prevent leaks by making it so annoying no thinking human being would ever go to the effort of reading them.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Hand Row posted:

Isnt he the author who wrote a book on some old rear end palm pilot like device?

Steven Erikson posted:

Twenty years ago I bought this Psion 5mx. It had a monochrome, touch-senstive screen (with stylus), used two AA batteries that lasted about thirty hours, with an external memory via the flash-drive. Probably the smallest commercial word processor ever built. I wrote the entirety of Deadhouse Gates on this little guy.

Psion was ahead of its time. After I'd signed the non-book deal we contacted the company and they ran a half-page add in a national paper (anyone who can track down a copy of that gets a free book!) featuring yours truly. In payment for my endorsement, I got the next new model, the Psion 7, another gem on which I wrote Memories of Ice, House of Chains and some of Midnight Tides.

And he's still at it:

Also his screenshots all show versions of Word that are way later than 2003 so he probably has an Office 365 subscription

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

lol that owns. I weep for his eyesight and hands.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Ha, my liking for Erikson has grown further at reading that. Psions rocked and they were indeed ahead of their time. The keyboard of the Series 5 was good enough to type decent amounts of prose on, especially for a device that could comfortably fit in a pocket. Useful for an author who may want to write at random times without lugging something larger around. Which is why I never bought a Series 7, actually (it wasn't pocket-sized, not because I'm an author).

From the picture with the Tales of Karsa screenshot, it looks like he's now bought a Gemini PDA, which is kind of a modernised version of the Psion Series 5, and which I looked at myself by couldn't quite bring myself to get. Gotta respect Erikson's commitment to the form factor. Needs to back his poo poo up though, which I was doing with my Psions even back in the '90s.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

And he's still at it:

Also his screenshots all show versions of Word that are way later than 2003 so he probably has an Office 365 subscription

That's an interesting combo - reMarkable and a phone with small external keyboard?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
He was also releasing a handwritten page of the next Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novella each day on facebook to entertain people during the early part of the pandemic.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
He also talks on the last 10 Very Big Books about writing a whodunit with a Midsomer Murders-style vibe set in the Malazan world.

Which sounds hilarious.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

It was Shadowthrone with the Dancer in the Azath.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

kingturnip posted:

He also talks on the last 10 Very Big Books about writing a whodunit with a Midsomer Murders-style vibe set in the Malazan world.

Which sounds hilarious.

As it happens, I'm just watching Midsomer Murders and it perfectly fits Malazan insofar as at the end half the population is dead.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
My partner is a massive Malazan fan and wants me to read them. I made it through Gardens of the Moon and a third through Deadhouse Gates and... I just can't do it. I have a degree in literature and the Malazan books are among the hardest I've come across.

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out why i can strain to read ten pages and then realize I've retained nothing, and I'm at a loss other than "I have no idea why this scene happened". You have to trust that the story is going somewhere because Erikson certainly isn't going to suggest that this random event served a purpose until 80 pages later.

Someone like, say, the structured Iain Banks or experimental Kathe Koja, will start a book with letting you know what the stakes are, what the conflict is, and every scene somehow applies to either confirming the stakes or moving forward with the conflict. Erikson doesn't do that - here's a scene of a character wandering off for the fifth time and he does a thing that doesn't seem related to anything, but MAYBE it will be later. Next scene. It's bizarre and I've never seen anyone else do this, at least not on purpose.

I've read all the Bauchelain and Korbal novellas and enjoyed them, mainly because A. They're short and B. The stakes are clearly set immediately - 'We need to kill this guy', or
'We need to reach this place without dying' and the rest of the story is all heading to the goal. Most detours are for setting and also entertaining (Lees of Laughter's End was a trip and a half).

I'm not saying this is bad, it's just surprising to me how much scene direction matters in order to retain any of it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I think that yes I've noticed it but I personally like it, even though it's dumb in a lot of ways. The scenes that are a someone just walking away that has nothing to do with anything, maybe, are endearing to me personally but I can totally see how they also are just wasteful trash words to someone else. I love how it's not set up at the beginning and how nothing makes sense at the start, but if it's not for you it's not for you and there's nothing wrong with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Sounds like your partner could throw you some spoiler free context given they have read the books.