Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Lone Goat posted:

man all the TWI end game stuff seems so immensely boring, gimme more slices of life

just have the endgame come and go and ten million more words of happily ever after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Thanks! It's finally up, and let me tell you, the amount of behind-the-scenes work necessary to self-publish and do it right is bananas.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
TUTBAD 18

quote:

There were three birds perched on the roof above the door. She had asked them to guard her house while she was gone, and though it would have been fine for them to spend their time in the trees, inconspicuous, they were ravens, and liked to make a show of things. She hadn’t, as Alfric put it, ‘told them to’. Birds needed negotiation and requests, not instructions. Perhaps, thinking about it, he hadn’t meant to make such a distinction.

quote:

She had asked the water not to leak into her bathroom, and it had replied that it was incapable of doing otherwise, which was typical for water.
Lmao, this Isra chapter is amazing

edit: I love Wales' take on conventional fantasy elements. Dwarven culture in Worth the Candle was incredible, and I feel like he's doing something kind of similar with druids here.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 16, 2021

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

He is such a good loving writer and I am so, so stoked for this.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Cicero posted:

edit: I love Wales' take on conventional fantasy elements. Dwarven culture in Worth the Candle was incredible, and I feel like he's doing something kind of similar with druids here.
So many single-gender fantasy races are clearly designed with one hand, like the Asari. It's refreshing to have one with a more complex social structure, and the in-universe book about bedding all the races being vulgar and culturally misleading.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp I've been reading some stuff that mostly hasn't been talked about, I think.

Someone mentioned it like a week back and I really enjoyed Fates Parallel. Reminds me of Forge of Destiny but less stuffy and stilted. It's fun, and pretty serious without being overly grim or unable to take a break.

Prophecy Approved Companion is a lot better then the blurb makes it sound. Its not exactly earth shattering literature, though. It's cute and pretty lighthearted, but I have a feeling it would be better if it wasn't trying to be funny. I have this same problem with a lot of 'humor' writing though. I don't think I'll bother to pay for the Patreon on this one, but I do like it.

Blood Shaper is generic. It's extremely generic... But its generic in that way where all the poo poo you've seen before has been mashed together in such a way that it's at least tolerable. One funny thing is that people from other universes just keep showing up, to the point that there's an NGO of outworlders who's whole existence is to hand new ones an informational pamphlet and a sensor because sometimes it happens again, and they hope to figure out this mystery. Otherwise it's decent. I never had any 'why am I even reading this' moments which is high praise from me tbh. It's pretty new though, it's just finally getting somewhere I think and I'm excited to see where that is. The main character is kind of boring but his best friend/teacher is neat enough to save it.

Journey into Darkness is another one that, on paper, you've read before: bla bla Isekai'd into a weird magical cave bla bla. What's unusual is I swear this is written by a doctor or a biologist or something because it just loves these horrific over descriptions of monsters and their anatomy. It's not exactly horror writing but it makes me vaguely squeamish. I'm kind of a soft loser, though. It's one of the few stories where I felt like there was actually descriptive gore that made me feel a little off lol. Overall, it's above average. I'm paying for the Patreon on this one

I think that's about it. I have a few more on my try list but anything else was either so boring or so godawful it didn't even register.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Journey into Darkness is another one that, on paper, you've read before: bla bla Isekai'd into a weird magical cave bla bla. What's unusual is I swear this is written by a doctor or a biologist or something because it just loves these horrific over descriptions of monsters and their anatomy. It's not exactly horror writing but it makes me vaguely squeamish. I'm kind of a soft loser, though. It's one of the few stories where I felt like there was actually descriptive gore that made me feel a little off lol. Overall, it's above average. I'm paying for the Patreon on this one

whoa, thorsby is writing a web serial now???

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Here's the dump of what I'm reading lately, that I mostly haven't seen talked about before. I got enough that I'm using the stupid follow list now!

Mark of the Fool is very enjoyable and I haven't got tired of it yet! Updates a lot and I never feel too tired to read it.

Dragons Dilema is interesting. It's about a dragon who has to hide as a human and all that that entails. It does a good thing by not just making him blankly, boringly human, and there's some interesting gender stuff going on.

In the same vein, Armor is about an enchanted suit of armor who gains sentience and is playing at being a human adventurer. It's kinda cute but I'm getting tired of the gimmick and just want him to come out already.

I mentioned Percuilar Soul before as "kinda generic" but it's gotten a lot better since then, now we're out of the introduction phase. The magic system is interesting, and the main character has been forced into not just hiding in the woods with better-dad. Worth picking up, and the propoganda photoshops that the author does at the end of each chapter are very good.

Reroll is finished now. What an ending. I don't know if I can recommend this, it was an interesting timeloop story for the first half or so but then it just kinda... Ends. Read the first half I suppose! Curious to see what others have to say about this.

Some story or other recommended Demense, and I like it a lot. No system stuff, a cool magic system, and the main character is somewhere over the far edge of the spectrum. Overall, it's a neat story about building toilets. She needs to get a proper sewer system set up already. If you like stories about playing sim city, this is a pretty good one.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mark of the Fool is fantastic but I really need Alex and Theresa to stop beating around the bush before it literally kills me.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Quite a few thoughts about TWI Patreon:

Oh no I like Az'kerash now
gently caress Zelkyr
I think pirate's pretty good at setting up and solving mysteries; good job resolving one of the story's longest-running mysteries by tying it in to a less prominent running mystery

Argue fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 19, 2021

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Argue posted:

Quite a few thoughts about TWI Patreon:

Oh no I like Az'kerash now
gently caress Zelkyr
I think pirate's pretty good at setting up and solving mysteries; good job resolving one of the story's longest-running mysteries by tying it in to a less prominent running mystery

doesn't really fit as it was said that there were never very many gnoll mages. seems a lot of effort/resources for something that could and now will easily blow back for little gain. like it is a real stretch to give up a reliable logistics network for something that barely makes a dent. Also, yeah Zelkyr is up there with the dead gods level of awful

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I swear Zelkyr might have an all time ego lol. Not only was he a fascist, he sealed off a whole bunch of Wistram with a death trap for no reason, and mutilated one of the Walled Cities greatest strategic assets for basically no reason. It's not like it stopped the Gnolls from using their shamanic magic, which they were already better at anyway. Oh, yeah, and made his own sentient golem daughters. Who were all hot naked women, which is totally not a red flag.

Is it bad that I hope he's not dead just so we can see him die horribly on screen?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

at this point i'm thinking that zelkyr was trying to gently caress everyone but the drakes up by making magic inaccessible so he can return and conquer the world with his high-tier spells and drake armies once things have unraveled enough. it seems pretty certain that he's alive in some fashion

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
TWI Patreon: So the allies Chaldion was talking about is the Plains eye tribe right? I can't imagine any other allies wouldn't "suffer his presence (Grimalkin), unless its Fissival? But also who else would Chaldion negotiate/make provisions with to get Ferkr back? And the lack of surprise from the Chieftain of Plains Eye when Ferkr was asked to demonstrate magic after Belavier removed the hex on her? (assuming no one would crystal node blocking magical apptitude)

As to WHY Plains Eye would want this and the idea that all this effort was worth it when there were never that many mages.. I think the simple answer they see it as a method of control. The normal ways of the "plains gnolls" in general seem easy to exploit, via Chieftain allegiances and all the magical power of the tribe going through the shaman(s) whose allegiance to the Chieftains seems easy to guarantee. Keeping the majority steeped in tribal tradition and a way that keeps Plains Eye in power seems like enough on its own. But with the deeper mysteries of the white gnolls, this new bit about power in their fur and Wer's ability to inflict bad luck/good luck as well as the sheer BELIEF the uppper echelons of Plains Eye leaders seem to think they are Doom, I wonder if there is more to this.

As for Zelkyr, I don't see his involvement in this really I just assume Chandler thought of him since it is something that he would have likely known from his involvment with the walled cities. Still possible but seems way to targeted at Gnolls instead of a general idea of weakening everyone or anything like that. Unless we find out next chapter everyone gets a boost on Izril from this being discovered.

Uldor fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 19, 2021

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Uldor posted:

TWI Patreon: So the allies Chaldion was talking about is the Plains eye tribe right? I can't imagine any other allies wouldn't "suffer his presence (Grimalkin), unless its Fissival? But also who else would Chaldion negotiate/make provisions with to get Ferkr back? And the lack of surprise from the Chieftain of Plains Eye when Ferkr was asked to demonstrate magic after Belavier removed the hex on her? (assuming no one would crystal node blocking magical apptitude)

As to WHY Plains Eye would want this and the idea that all this effort was worth it when there were never that many mages.. I think the simple answer they see it as a method of control. The normal ways of the "plains gnolls" in general seem easy to exploit, via Chieftain allegiances and all the magical power of the tribe going through the shaman(s) whose allegiance to the Chieftains seems easy to guarantee. Keeping the majority steeped in tribal tradition and a way that keeps Plains Eye in power seems like enough on its own. But with the deeper mysteries of the white gnolls, this new bit about power in their fur and Wer's ability to inflict bad luck/good luck as well as the sheer BELIEF the uppper echelons of Plains Eye leaders seem to think they are Doom, I wonder if there is more to this.

As for Zelkyr, I don't see his involvement in this really I just assume Chandler thought of him since it is something that he would have likely known from his involvment with the walled cities. Still possible but seems way to targeted at Gnolls instead of a general idea of weakening everyone or anything like that. Unless we find out next chapter everyone gets a boost on Izril from this being discovered.

I think you’re misreading. To me, it wasn’t the Plains Eye tribe that is Pallass’s ally in this, it’s at least Fissival and likely the entirety of the Walled Cities. They are the ones who wouldn’t tolerate Grimalkin’s attempts to prove Gnollish Magery. The “provision” that Chaldean mentions isn’t getting Ferkr back, it’s that he will help her find something other than magic to focus on once she returns.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Silynt posted:

I think you’re misreading. To me, it wasn’t the Plains Eye tribe that is Pallass’s ally in this, it’s at least Fissival and likely the entirety of the Walled Cities. They are the ones who wouldn’t tolerate Grimalkin’s attempts to prove Gnollish Magery. The “provision” that Chaldean mentions isn’t getting Ferkr back, it’s that he will help her find something other than magic to focus on once she returns.

Ulcre's reactions to the entire affair were beyond suspicious. I think Xherw is in the dark about it but the plain's eye shamans know, and may even be active collaborators

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
People asked about how effective RR ads were, so here's the metrics for the first two Rectangle and Leaderboards ads I took out for Outcast's release on Amazon:

Views - Views Left - Clicks - Cost
817405 - 1182596 - 1721 - $250.00
2000001 - 0 - 2492 - $250.00

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So a click through of 0.21% so far

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nettle Soup posted:

Reroll is finished now. What an ending. I don't know if I can recommend this, it was an interesting timeloop story for the first half or so but then it just kinda... Ends. Read the first half I suppose! Curious to see what others have to say about this.

Seems like the author either wrote themselves into a corner or got bored writing it, so the story ends with the protagonist doing nothing and having learned nothing. The main thing going it for was that the protagonist had weird and interesting powers.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Question; what's the rules/culture acceptability for talking about your own book launch here? I have a lot of data I'd be interested in sharing, but it might come across as bragging cause, to be blunt, the launch has been very successful.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I don’t think it’s particularly gauche - we definitely have active web serial authors here who might be interested, and it’s not as if your story is egregious in content or something. I guess just make sure to reference crabs and bros or something to fit in with the recent really good thread that got posted.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
:justpost:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I personally don't mind if you or anyone here share or talk about their stories. Just as long as people are honest and say it is their story, and they don't spam it.
But I am just a single person so :shrug:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
TWI wrt giving up a logistics network, I would say that it is not unprecedented in real life for the world to have been deprived of an easily attainable nice thing just because of racism/anti-poor sentiment

edit: with that mystery solved, maybe they can fix the network and have the door tap into it? If gnolls don't destroy all the nodes first, that is.

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 20, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

KamikazePotato posted:

People asked about how effective RR ads were, so here's the metrics for the first two Rectangle and Leaderboards ads I took out for Outcast's release on Amazon:

Views - Views Left - Clicks - Cost
817405 - 1182596 - 1721 - $250.00
2000001 - 0 - 2492 - $250.00

I've been enjoying Outcast a lot. The MC has an entertaining sense of humor. I also like the concept of leveling high and other discussions about how the level/skill system impacts the world.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Enjoy one more Royalroad click through and KU download, the ad popped up immediately when I loaded the site and I couldn’t say no to that.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

KamikazePotato posted:

Question; what's the rules/culture acceptability for talking about your own book launch here? I have a lot of data I'd be interested in sharing, but it might come across as bragging cause, to be blunt, the launch has been very successful.

It's fine to talk about your successes, I think most people here would be happy for you and not annoyed. Plus you've been posting here for awhile, it's not as if you just dropped in and were like "hey, you guys talk about books, I wrote a book, pick up a copy!" and then disappeared.

So long as it contributes and isn't purely self-promo it's okay, it's fine to me.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

KamikazePotato posted:

(Extremely Litrpg voice) Stats stats stats!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Silynt posted:

Enjoy one more Royalroad click through and KU download, the ad popped up immediately when I loaded the site and I couldn’t say no to that.
This is cheating, now you have to throw out your entire data set!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Post the data in a blue box.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

A bunch of posts posted:

POST STUFF

Hah, understood. Thanks for the support guys, glad people are discovering the book for the first time and enjoying it. Now let's dig into some numbers! Everybody loves numbers.

Day 1 Peak: Best Sellers Rank #641 in Kindle Store
Day 2 Peak: Best Sellers Rank #529 in Kindle Store
Day 3 Peak: Best Sellers Rank #485 in Kindle Store
Day 4 Peak: Best Sellers Rank #375 in Kindle Store

Consistent growth in the rankings! Algorithm be praised. This is probably coming to a head, as my paid advertisements are losing effectiveness, but who knows. The algorithm gods work in mysterious ways.

Here's a chart of the direct book sales for Day 1-4 (the leftmost bar is Pre-orders). In total, 358 direct copies have been sold. 24 of those are paperbacks. The bulk of the sales come from Day 1, largely thanks to my incredibly awesome fanbase which supported it, and helped push the book up the Amazon rankings. Would not have done this well without them. After Day 1, the sales fell to a much-lower (but still very solid) number. No idea why so many people bought Paperbacks on Day 3, though.

Here's a chart of Day 1-4's KENP. KENP, essentially, is the number of pages people have read of your story on Kindle Unlimited specifically. The Day 1 push was able to get me enough momentum to draw in new readers, and the KENP numbers have been doing gangbusters ever since. As a fun fact, my readers (and ranking) tend to dip in the first half of the day and surge in the second half.

If you're a low-to-mid ranger author in popularity, I heavily, heavily recommend going with Kindle Unlimited.

Other Fun Facts:
1. 39 people have put in pre-orders for Book 2.
2. Two people have signed up for my mailing list.
3. I currently have 52 Amazon reviews. 46 of those are 5 stars. Unfortunately, I only have a 4.5/5 star rating on the top of the page. First world problems.
4. I'm currently beating three Harry Potter books in the rankings. Watch out, Rowling!

KamikazePotato fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 20, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gratz on the sales brother but full disclosure I'm probably never gonna rent it off of KU unless I reread it in ten years or some poo poo. but I pay for your patreon, so whatever. i doubt that pays less than one book download.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Patreon is worth more than a KU readthrough, yes. In fact, a direct sale is worth a little more than a full KU readthrough as well. KU's strength comes from the extremely high audience it opens your book up to.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Is the web serial An Outcast in Another World? I assume if I'm going to read it at this point you would prefer KU over RR, assuming it's still there?

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

asur posted:

Is the web serial An Outcast in Another World? I assume if I'm going to read it at this point you would prefer KU over RR, assuming it's still there?

It is, yes. I had to take the Book 1 chapters down due to KU's exclusivity rules, unfortunately, so Amazon is the only place to read those at the moment.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

I've been enjoying Outcast a lot. The MC has an entertaining sense of humor. I also like the concept of leveling high and other discussions about how the level/skill system impacts the world.

I'm all caught up and also enjoying it a lot despite it having some elements that normally annoy me (and still kinda do, but not enough to outweigh the things I enjoy). I like how in the most recent chapter the one recently-minted Ranger guy pointed out how it's wrong for Rob to only allow his buddies access to the Exp Share. Rob had previously acknowledged that and just dismissed it, but it's less acceptable when it means other people dying. I appreciate small things like this, where other characters - who aren't necessarily part of the A-Team cast - react in reasonable ways to things or otherwise "organically" end up interacting with the narrative.

I think it benefits a good deal from (so far, at least) keeping the various side characters important. The protagonist has ridiculous abilities, but they don't *quite* cross the line into feeling unreasonably powerful (his crystal bearer stuff - the only thing that appears to be truly unique to the protagonist - provides utility, but mainly in a way that empowers his group, and not to an extent that feels truly "broken"). The only strange thing is the lack of a precedent for high-Vitality builds (with humans, at least; other characters' reactions imply that they also didn't encounter high-Vitality humans frequently during the war, but the benefits as shown are pretty ridiculous, especially from the combination of Berserker and high Vitality).

It also has whatever that ephemeral quality is that allows me to feel like a story isn't being made up on the fly (regardless of whether or not this is actually the case). When this isn't the case, it makes it fundamentally impossible for me to "buy into" what I'm reading since I can't stop "feeling" the presence of the author, the decisions they're making, and how they feel about the characters they're writing (Outcast does have a bit of an issue with this last thing, where some stuff feels kind of indulgent, but not nearly as bad as many other stories). This is probably the single biggest barrier to me enjoying web serials (and is why I can't enjoy Wandering Inn).

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The only strange thing is the lack of a precedent for high-Vitality builds (with humans, at least; other characters' reactions imply that they also didn't encounter high-Vitality humans frequently during the war, but the benefits as shown are pretty ridiculous, especially from the combination of Berserker and high Vitality).
I maybe didn't emphasize it quite enough, but Lifesurge and Regeneration are Skills that most people never unlock whether or not they have high Vitality. The secondary Prerequisites are specific and potentially fatal. Rob's build would be a lot worse without those.

quote:

It also has whatever that ephemeral quality is that allows me to feel like a story isn't being made up on the fly (regardless of whether or not this is actually the case).
Glad to hear that came across, as that's something I try to express in the story's feel. I leave myself room for improv, but quite a lot of the story, including the ending, has been plotted.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How do you justify Rob even functioning after the amount of pain and maiming he's been through?
And to willingly keep seeking it out?

Like the series but it's my pet peeve.

Is He just loving bonkers and imagines having a buddy in diplomacy?

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
People are able to endure a shitton of punishment if it isn't permanent. Rob's ability to Regenerate virtually anything as long as he survives means that his sense of "this is a bad idea" has become increasingly skewed.. As far as seeking out things out goes - Rob has been conditioned in several ways to take risks. Leveling High is consistently making him more generally reckless, especially if it involves the potential for leveling up, but he's also conditioned by the situations he finds himself in. Rob, as a relatively inexperienced fighter, is forced to take risks in order to survive and to become stronger. Sacrificing his own HP in order to achieve a goal has consistently been one of his best strategies. And so far, it's mostly worked. Even without Leveling High, that would have naturally resulted in him becoming more reckless over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
12 Miles Below: This version of excel was excel 95, slightly newer than the one the clan used.

There are two ways to interpret that and both horrify me.

In general, the further advanced the software, the more they started demanding licenses or accounts registered to entities that had stopped existing eons ago. The old world humans were straight up obsessed over digital rights management, and that had been the wall that stopped all progress past the late 90’s tech for humanity today. There was a thin band of twenty-ish years of useable software, after that everything started getting complicated. Excel 95 was a pretty advanced version to have.

I think that's the less-scary one, though.

edit: oh god he's asking his super-tech AI powered armour to bluff the pirate quartermaster because excel 95 didn't have automatic recovery saves

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 20, 2021