Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IGgy IGsen posted:

not losing afterwards.

:thunkher:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It's going to be the same bad faith argument with these morons, whoever turns up. When KENTA appeared, the people that recognised him cheered and the people who did not recognise him Googled him. It's the same for Nagata, Kojima and Suzuki.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Good wrestlers get over if you present them right

All you need is a short video on the Rampage before Ishii shows up with him stoically kicking Omega's rear end in 2018, and some from his Moxley G1 Match and a couple more clips, maybe interspersed with Kenny & Excalibur & maybe Eddie talking about how he's one of the baddest men on the planet

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Tough and Hard

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

coming at you Mach 141

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How to get Tomohiro Ishii over in two easy steps:

1: Put him in a ring
2: Let him wrestle a match

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

of course the best way to get who Ishii is is to experience Ishii. Throw him in a match against someone good but beatable (Kaz is the classic example, but someone like Bowens or Trent? also works) and just have him do the Ishii thing. Those who know will love it. Those who don't will love it in seconds.

Cerebral Bore posted:

How to get Tomohiro Ishii over in two easy steps:

1: Put him in a ring
2: Let him wrestle a match

yes this

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Kaz is the Elite Hunter, not the Stone Pitbull Hunter. Put Ishii against Johnny Hungee

Venomous fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 20, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lamuella posted:

of course the best way to get who Ishii is is to experience Ishii. Throw him in a match against someone good but beatable (Kaz is the classic example, but someone like Bowens or Trent? also works) and just have him do the Ishii thing. Those who know will love it. Those who don't will love it in seconds.

yes this

the lowest star rating i can find for an Ishii singles match is 2 1/2 with KENTA at NJPW Royal Quest

in that same time i noticed his five star matches with Hirooki Goto and Honma

also he had a 5 and a half star match with Kenny Omega which i have no memory of but sounds incredible

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

Put Ishii against Johnny Hungee

Excuse me, friend, but this is the bad takes thread and this statement is far from that.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lid posted:

the lowest star rating i can find for an Ishii singles match is 2 1/2 with KENTA at NJPW Royal Quest

This being the match where KENTA got a very obvious and very scary concussion

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

that reminds me: last year, someone tweeted that Bryan Danielson was the best wrestler of the 2010s, to which I half shitposted 'he was the best in the WWE, but imo Ishii had a better decade' to which I got these tweets in response

https://twitter.com/SuckaFreeTee/status/1320029597447147520?s=19
https://twitter.com/SuckaFreeTee/status/1320118421330296840?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I honestly think anyone arguing against Ishii for the WOTD has an uphill struggle

Besides, Bryan's best work was in the previous decade

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ishii doesn't have to be versatile because the Ishii Match is already the best match format possible.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

forkboy84 posted:

I honestly think anyone arguing against Ishii for the WOTD has an uphill struggle

Besides, Bryan's best work was in the previous decade

well yeah, because Okada was better

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lid posted:

well yeah, because Okada was better

He's probably the only realistic alternative over the course of the decade. Depends what we're calling the decade, 2010-2019 or 2011-2020, because Okada's 2020 was dogshit.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

He's probably the only realistic alternative over the course of the decade. Depends what we're calling the decade, 2010-2019 or 2011-2020, because Okada's 2020 was dogshit.

Sure, maybe Okada's 2020 sucked (honestly I haven't watched NJPW in 2020), but that doesn't really change his growth and peak as well hand his fantastic title reign with multiple 5+ Star matches.
Okada is definitely up there. Ishii was probably more consistent but Okada's highs were ever so much higher and it's not like it was a fluke either.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 20, 2021

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
if we're going to settle this argument i think danielson, okada and ishii should wrestle every permutation of match possible involving the 3 of them and then when it's over do it again until they've decided amongst themselves who is the best

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

wow, someone isn’t a fan of the best maneuver in professional wrestling, the money clip, I guess

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

boxcarhobo posted:

wow, someone isn’t a fan of the best maneuver in professional wrestling, the money clip, I guess

You're right, someone isn't a fan of either of those things.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Let's just weigh up Okada's 2020 being a down year vs Okada's 2017 which was THE SINGLE BEST YEAR FOR A WRESTLER OF ALL TIME. I think at its most charitable we can call it a wash.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
The thing about Ishii is that he isn't flashy or fancy in terms of appearance or moveset. What makes him amazing is how he does so much with so little in terms of a few different strikes and throws, and his ability to both sell and no-sell at the right times.

Also, Meltzer once told a story about how Cobb had a match with Ishii where they beat the hell out of each other, and he asked Cobb afterwards if Ishii's strikes hurt because they looked like they did, to which Cobb responded with "Didn't feel a thing". I read that not as Cobb talking himself up and more saying that Ishii is that drat good.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tanahashi erasure going on

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

the problem with of the decade is they tend to do poorly for people whose prime crossed over between two different decades, Tana's was late 2000s and early 2010s and thus not considered the best of either

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Ishii > Okada >>>>> Tanahashi
In your heart you know it's true.

No, I will not source my quotes. This is my take and it's good!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lid posted:

the problem with of the decade is they tend to do poorly for people whose prime crossed over between two different decades, Tana's was late 2000s and early 2010s and thus not considered the best of either

You say this like Tanahashi hasn't been consistently been putting on bangers for the last 5 years :thunkher:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lid posted:

Tana would have to be the choice for best of the 21st century, only person I would think comes close is KENTA and he spent all those years being injured in America

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SG Bamboo posted:

Tana would have to be the choice for best of the 21st century, only person I would think comes close is KENTA and he spent all those years being injured in America

this i'd agree with, though not KENTA and with Bryan Danielson being the #2

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

isn't this the "I got this, Cleaner" Omega reply guy?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lid posted:

I think Tanahashi's prime spanned most of the decade with the completely arbitrary point of him changing his theme music being where it ended (excluding 2018) but yeah. Kenny will end up with this fate too.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Karma Tornado posted:

isn't this the "I got this, Cleaner" Omega reply guy?

Funnily, someone RT'd the "I got this, Cleaner" thing on my TL today so I just had to scroll up a bit to find out.
And no, that one is a Shane David with a different handle.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Funnily, someone RT'd the "I got this, Cleaner" thing on my TL today so I just had to scroll up a bit to find out.
And no, that one is a Shane David with a different handle.

I think yesterday was the second anniversary of that tweet

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Tanahashi did top the Observer best of the 2010s awards, each is 1st to 3rd

Lou Thesz/ Ric Flair Award (Best Wrestler)

Hiroshi Tanahashi
Kazuchika Okada
John Cena

Most Outstanding Wrestler

Kazuchika Okada
Hiroshi Tanahashi
AJ Styles

Best Box Office Draw

Brock Lesnar
Conor McGregor
John Cena

Best Tag Team

Young Bucks
Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly
Sekimoto & Okabayashi

Best on Interviews

Paul Heyman
Conor McGregor
CM Punk

Most Charismatic

Hiroshi Tanahashi
Shinsuke Nakamura
John Cena

Bryan Danielson Award (Best Technical Wrestler)

Zack Sabre Jr.
Daniel Bryan
Kyle O’Reilly

Best Brawler

Tomohiro Ishii
Kevin Owens
Katsuyori Shibata

Best Flyer

Ricochet
Kota Ibushi
Will Ospreay

Best Promotion

New Japan Pro Wrestling
UFC
WWE

Best Non-Wrestler

Paul Heyman
Dario Cueto
Gedo

Best Television Announcer

Kevin Kelly
Joe Rogan
Mauro Ranallo

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lid posted:

Bryan Danielson Award (Best Technical Wrestler)

Zack Sabre Jr.
Daniel Bryan
Kyle O’Reilly

That's great :lol:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lid posted:

Let's just weigh up Okada's 2020 being a down year vs Okada's 2017 which was THE SINGLE BEST YEAR FOR A WRESTLER OF ALL TIME. I think at its most charitable we can call it a wash.

At this point I should put my cards on the table & say that Tomohiro Ishii is basically my Platonic ideal of a wrestler.

TBH it'd be a really fun project to do, because their careers are obviously quite different & it's not necessarily easy to compare them because of their relative positions in the company. And I was going to start here but then I remembered this is totally the wrong thread for good posts about good wrestlers.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh I'd say Takashi Sugiura is up there as well for best of the last decade, but I know for a fact that I'm alone in that opinion

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
AJ Styles is in the argument too, who I admit I forgot about because well falling into WWE is out of sight out of mind, but he was the guy in NJPW for several years and the only one to jump to WWE and manage to navigate the cesspit to be a main eventer there too as well as their best wrestler despite now approaching 50 and being undersized by WWE standards.

Big Queefy
Jan 27, 2013

Lid posted:

Best Non-Wrestler

Paul Heyman
Dario Cueto
Gedo

Dario Cueto on LU might be the greatest authority figure of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lid posted:

AJ Styles is in the argument too, who I admit I forgot about because well falling into WWE is out of sight out of mind, but he was the guy in NJPW for several years and the only one to jump to WWE and manage to navigate the cesspit to be a main eventer there too as well as their best wrestler despite now approaching 50 and being undersized by WWE standards.

I googled it and he was PWIs WOTD and I was like "oh...huh, I guess?" And also forgot about him. My inclination is he spent half a decade in bad wrestling purgatory but that's my own bias showing

Venomous posted:

tbh I'd say Takashi Sugiura is up there as well for best of the last decade, but I know for a fact that I'm alone in that opinion

Actually ashamed I didn't think of him. I'd be happy to have Sugi in the conversation. Probably top 5 at least for me.