Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Dark was essential for me to watch subbed because you just can't do dour nihilism in the same way in english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
For it being the title of the thread I’m curious when the last time was that people watched Death True2/&Rebirth. I forgot about the framing story of the string quartet and was curious how many people remember how oddly paced it was. It’s not a strictly linear recap, jumping from character to character in a way I didn’t remember it doing. I wonder if anyone saw this before the series.

Rotten Punk
Nov 11, 2009

Lots of people who can't read fast getting real defensive itt lol

nightbae smokewheat posted:

subs 👏 rule 👏 dubs 👏 drool

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Weird BIAS posted:

For it being the title of the thread I’m curious when the last time was that people watched Death True2/&Rebirth. I forgot about the framing story of the string quartet and was curious how many people remember how oddly paced it was. It’s not a strictly linear recap, jumping from character to character in a way I didn’t remember it doing. I wonder if anyone saw this before the series.

For a long time the Death and Rebirth DVD was my only Evangelion media. I saw a rerun of episodes 13 and 14 on the sci-fi channel but it stopped airing after that and the movie was the only DVD in my town. Having that as my only source of Eva made me think the show was a lot more confusing than it is. Also had confusion when the kids greet Kaworu in the framing story, only for Shinji to not know him when the film gets to his proper introduction. Despite that I still loved it and it just made me want to get the series. Ended up importing the Australian DVD box set for an extortionate amount (for some reason they got it years before the UK did).

Incidentally, 10 years old is not the right time to be watching the hospital scene from Rebirth/End of Eva :gonk:

On dubs, I love the original JP cast and the fact they've stayed consistent is a point in its favour. However i have a huge nostalgia for the ADV dub even if I can see the flaws now.

Incidentally it's worth remembering not everyone can read subtitles. My younger brother is fascinated with the dvd/blu ray collection I've amassed (I'm several years older) and while he loves a lot of anime he just can't read subtitles due to his disability. Anything I watch with him has to be dubbed.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Watching bits of 3.0+1.01 again I've made a major revelation that I believe has serious implications: Ken-Ken rhymes with Pen-Pen! What could this possibly mean?!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

the adv dub is great, the netflix dub is cringe, the amazon dub is somewhere in between.

this is how i feel, more or less

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
my feelings on the rebuild series now that ive finished watching them is that the first 3 entries are a bit too rushed and could've used about 30 more minutes each of breathing room but 3+1 is more or less perfect in that regard. on the whole it's a bit inundated with characters randomly spouting impenetrable jumbled plot elements and it's absolutely inferior to the original series+eoe but it looks really good and has some very nice emotional moments. will be watching again soon

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

Levin posted:

Watching bits of 3.0+1.01 again I've made a major revelation that I believe has serious implications: Ken-Ken rhymes with Pen-Pen! What could this possibly mean?!

:psyboom:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

They had to transfer Pen2's conciousness into Kensuke's body to save him during the timeskip, obviously

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Levin posted:

Kensuke took over Misato's job of loving the penguin when she went to assume command of Wille.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

They had to transfer Pen2's conciousness into Kensuke's body to save him during the timeskip, obviously
Okay, but if Pen-Pen is Ken-Ken and Ken-Ken is Asuka's doll then...

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

nightbae smokewheat posted:

subs 👏 rule 👏 dubs 👏 drool

I've watched Evangelion so many times I don't even need the subs anymore. I just become one with the show.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Real fans splice both audio tracks so it swaps between the two at random times

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

SchrodingersCat posted:

I've watched Evangelion so many times I don't even need the subs anymore. I just become one with the show.

I believe you want to say that you’ve gone past the plug depth limit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I believe you want to say that you’ve gone past the plug depth limit.

That's impossible. The readings say that the sync ratio is 0!

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Reading through the manga now. I'm trying to remember if I ever saw anyone mention that manga-Asuka beats up 4 guys in a street fight.

I would say the tone of the manga is a bit different than the TV/movies.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah at that arcade hahah. I mostly remember Shinji's punch and the kitten crushing. Some...bold... choices in that manga, not ones everyone liked but hey.
I do appreciate it for introducing me to The Mysterious Stranger as a kid tho, there's a lil essay on it in the back of one of those volumes where Kaworu shows up.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Getting to see what Toji looks like corrupted by Bardiel was also pretty neat

Manga's a lot of fun

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Mazed posted:

I am incredibly happy.

Cephas posted:

I think so too.

I just finally got around to 3.0 and 3.0+1.0 as well.
The last time I watched Eva was when 2.22 came out. Jumping straight into 3.0 was so confusing, but after watching 3.0+1.0 my takeaway was that it was basically delivering the same message as EoE, just in a much nicer way to the audience and characters.

One thematic difference I find interesting, between EoE and 3.0+1.0: so in EoE, 01 becomes an ark for the human soul, with Yui still inside it, floating off into space, but in 3.0+1.0, Yui sacrifices herself and now its WILLE creating an ark for all non-human life on earth. Not sure what to make of that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
found a twitter account this thread may enjoy?

https://twitter.com/stathambot/status/1440590437505372161
https://twitter.com/stathambot/status/1440635745824165891
https://twitter.com/stathambot/status/1440620639044321280
https://twitter.com/stathambot/status/1440650838054092811

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't imagine the specific thought process behind "what if Statham was a hardboiled action movie star in Evangelion."

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Those are some real good tweets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/RaihanH98/status/1441783271801561091

Eva 5.0 looking good.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

thats literally all i ever wanted eva to be my whole life

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I thinknI just had a stroke

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wow, 3.0+1.0's ending was stronger than I thought if it could bring Shinji and Gendo together as a sentai team.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Another good team up is Ultraman Ace, who is controlled by two people, a guy and a girl. The episodes (13+14) with planet Golgotha and the Anti-Universe are online here. Along with lots of other references when the other four Ultramen do the Ultra Charge to give Ace their powers it looks kinda like the spinning Reis.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Watched a couple movies that had music in 3+1.

The War in Space (1977) The talking parts are all super boring but the characters wear the spacesuits from 2001, the battles are entertaining and they blow up Venus. song is pretty catchy too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFXZG4uFrL0&t=104s

Bye Bye Jupiter (1984) was really cool and kinda what i was initially expecting out of the final eva movie itself. Earth is overpopulated and humans discover Nazca lines on Mars from 100,000 years ago. The Jupiter Solarization project will convert Jupiter into a second sun to give the outer planets more light for human expansion. Trying to stop the JS project is the Jupiter Church (like WILLE vs NERV), a guitar playing dolphin lover's environmental group that wants humans to stop expanding into the universe to only live peacefully on earth and die out. Then a black hole comes at us and the JS project is adapted to blow up Jupiter and the black hole to protect the solar system. People get evacuated, main characters die, Jupiter shrinks into an egg and blows up the black hole, and a giant whale converts into gas based life form. Other highlights include and a romance scene with "love gas" that makes characters float through the galaxy and a random boat scene of a shark attack on a dolphin with extremely silly puppets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq8oTGWozjg

Also Latitude Zero (1969) which is where the Wunder's plaque with the very old date is from. Their underwater city is pretty much the Geofront and it has technology that makes people not age so the ship's captain is 200 years old.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

Then a black hole comes at us and the JS project is adapted to blow up Jupiter and the black hole to protect the solar system.

Gainax nabbed this for Gunbuster too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

Watched a couple movies that had music in 3+1.

Yoo! I'm definitely making time to check these out.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Latitude Zero is pretty wild

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I just finished watching NGE for the first time (I haven't watched any anime before really) and I think it might be one of the best tv shows I've ever seen

I have already seen the last 5 mins of the end of evangelion, which is what convinced me to watch the series, but what order am I meant to watch stuff in now?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I just finished watching NGE for the first time (I haven't watched any anime before really) and I think it might be one of the best tv shows I've ever seen

I have already seen the last 5 mins of the end of evangelion, which is what convinced me to watch the series, but what order am I meant to watch stuff in now?
Show
End of Eva
Rebuild Movies 1-4

You should be good in that order.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Don't forget Shave Impact

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The United States posted:

Don't forget Shave Impact

That comes after 3.0+1.0 when Gendo gets therapy.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
The actual voice actor, authentic music, might as well be a deleted scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xli293P8fug

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fly Ricky posted:

The actual voice actor, authentic music, might as well be a deleted scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xli293P8fug

"Ritsuko... The truth is... I really loved that razor."

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Too bad Gillette is superior to Schick, not even happy gendo can get me to switch.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

found a Brazilian website that hosted a bunch of 3.0+1.0 concept art that Yamashita apparently posted on twitter. didn't realize he was the Anima guy, I can really see the influence in the new movie now that I realize
https://evangelionbr.com/2021/10/05/evangelion-3-01-0-artes-conceituais-e-esbocos-de-ikuto-yamashita/

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I thought it was weird to have the beeping flashing wrist things on the plug suits show up twice displaying two different messages that you can only make out if you pause and zoom in. The first turning out to be essentially meaningless and the second, which you can't tell the difference just watching the movie normally, telling you that the character is going to die.