Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was thinking it was kind of like the Boomer thread, where inevitably the thread began to resemble the very thing it was mocking.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

GET OFF MY LAWN (AND PICK UP YER POOTS)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Somewhere there is a senator from NJ or NV fighting to illegalize everything. And Joe Pesci is their unofficial mascot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

I'm gonna take a picture of Joe Pesci's beach house for you this weekend.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Get off my lawn.

E: beaten.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

My guess was one of the Carolinas.

The bad one :ohdear:

yes it's a Carolina

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Stop being boomers and make fun of them. Here's a pretty lost kitty looking fancy. I've been hunting for insanity, but my area has been boring recently.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Yes, the person looking for a garage door contractor clearly cares about your dedication to DIY.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Garage door springs are terrifying, when you do one for the first time. Mine broke a few years ago, I looked into the amount of pressure they were under and relative chance of fingat, then called someone and had a professional do both for like $200.
It's important to know what projects to diy in your house and which ones to absolutely call a professional.

Re: lawn chat - I live outside Chicago and let my lawn grow wild with native plants one year, ended up with a gently caress ton of ticks. Now I just stick with whatever grass the developer planted in the 70s and mow once a week. gently caress watering it though, only the strong glass blades will survive with whatever nature provides.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My last place had garage doors on springs and in the ~6 years I lived there three springs broke on me, all of which my landlord paid to replace but then would not install himself or pay to have installed. You needed a special tool to unwind the spring enough to install them properly which I did not have or care to put money down on buying, so while I was able to get the springs back in place it wasn't set properly and the doors wouldn't stay in the open position. If we had to keep the doors up to move something in either one of us would hold it or we'd stick allen wrenches through the holes in the joints to jam it up and stop the door from coming back down.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I think a lot of older guys come to that trying to help, but a garage door spring isn’t something to DIY if you don’t know what you’re doing.

I see that a lot though on my local ND. Someone will ask for a referral for a simple job and. There will always be an older guy telling them how to do it themselves. Occasionally I will see an old dude offer to come over and show them how to do something, which is actually pretty cool.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Suggesting someone diy a garage door spring should be considered attempted manslaughter

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

OGDanDogg posted:

Stop being boomers and make fun of them. Here's a pretty lost kitty looking fancy. I've been hunting for insanity, but my area has been boring recently.

This guy Pinot was the first thing I saw when I opened the app today. He is missing.

Big news I know but the woman made it sound like he was her everything.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

OGDanDogg posted:

Yes, the person looking for a garage door contractor clearly cares about your dedication to DIY.

Keep an eye on the local obituaries. When mine broke it shook the house pretty much.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Silly Newbie posted:

Garage door springs are terrifying, when you do one for the first time. Mine broke a few years ago, I looked into the amount of pressure they were under and relative chance of fingat, then called someone and had a professional do both for like $200.
It's important to know what projects to diy in your house and which ones to absolutely call a professional.

Re: lawn chat - I live outside Chicago and let my lawn grow wild with native plants one year, ended up with a gently caress ton of ticks. Now I just stick with whatever grass the developer planted in the 70s and mow once a week. gently caress watering it though, only the strong glass blades will survive with whatever nature provides.

If you have lots of ticks I recommend attracting possums to your yard, they are tick eating machines.

https://opossumsocietyus.org/how-to-attract-opossums-to-your-property/

Bonus: they are cute as hell

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
So garage door springs aren't that terrible, since you pretty much lock them in and use socket extensions to rotate to the proper tension, but adding a heat treat twist to something that already broke is insanely bad.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Traxis posted:

If you have lots of ticks I recommend attracting possums to your yard, they are tick eating machines.

https://opossumsocietyus.org/how-to-attract-opossums-to-your-property/

Bonus: they are cute as hell

I would absolutely love to have more possums in my yard, but I have four dogs, so they don't want to stick around too much, and I'd feel really bad if one got eaten.
So long as the yard is shorter than 8" or so, I don't get ticks, it's just when it gets to a foot or two of local foliage.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
post on nextdoor about how you're looking for techniques on how to introduce your dogs to your new possum friends.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was thinking it was kind of like the Boomer thread, where inevitably the thread began to resemble the very thing it was mocking.

Much as the SA's Greatest Sagas thread started out making fun of (amongst other things) QCS and has now essentially become QCS.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
The Southern answer to low caliber drive by

Edit: just realized it's a Karen...

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I have very little experience with guns, so this is going entirely off a gut feeling, but that looks really small to be a bullet hole. Am I just underestimating how small a .22 or some ultrasmall caliber is?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

a .223 caliber round is roughly equivalent to 5.56 millimeters.
They are interchangeable in one direction but not the other (I think it's safe to fire .223 out of a 5.56 barrel, but not the other way around). That's the standard round an M16 fires, so if you've ever seen one of those casings, you know roughly the size.

A .22 generally refers to .22LR, which has the same diameter but way less powder. The bullet is generally only about an inch long or so. It could still kill you easily enough, but is considered more of an anti-rodent or target shooting round than a .223/5.56.

But long story short diameter wise a .22 or even a .223 isn't much bigger than something a pellet gun might shoot, it's more about how heavy the bullet is and how fast it's coming towards you.

Edit: A daisy red ryder bb gun is .17 ca, which is roughly 4.5mm, so again it's not the diameter of the hole that's left, it's how heavy the projectile that made it and how fast it was traveling that is going to effect how dangerous the situation actually was.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 24, 2021

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
The post has since been removed, but some lady posted security cam footage of a kid going in her front yard to retrieve a football, whining about trespassing and kids being disrespectful and the sheer amount of people from her neighborhood absolutely dunking on her was breathtaking. Apparently this woman regularly stands on her porch, shouts at, and records kids that are just... being kids playing in the cul-de-sac.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

There is a lady on our next door that keeps making posts about censorship, and getting her posts deleted due to spreading misinformation about covid.

I will grab a screenshot when I can because it goes places.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Sneaky Wombat posted:

There is a lady on our next door that keeps making posts about censorship, and getting her posts deleted due to spreading misinformation about covid.

I will grab a screenshot when I can because it goes places.

We have several of those. I think it’s probably everywhere at this point. A pandemic of :qq:

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Well now I want a goat.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Frog infestation sounds fun. We had a tree frog living in our hose reel for a while. I miss it. I also rented a house that had geckos in the shower, that was pretty cool.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Yep. They have turned up the volume knob on their drums and drumsticks (double glazed).

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Fartington Butts posted:

Yep. They have turned up the volume knob on their drums and drumsticks (double glazed).

Be fair now, there’s just no way they could have known the band practice would be loud when they purchased a home near a school.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I don't mind hearing the marching band doing their practice except for when they use those loud as poo poo metronomes so you hear that PING PING PING PING PING

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
To many pages without mentioning coyotes!

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Now that is one well crafted fursuit, credit where credit is due.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Imagine the smell

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Zil posted:

Imagine the smell

I'd rather not

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

In my Yankee Candle haul I got the brand new "Crotchal Region of a Fursuit" scent!

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Fartington Butts posted:

In my Yankee Candle haul I got the brand new "Crotchal Region of a Fursuit" scent!

"Furry Genital Musk Candle" is the hot Christmas gift this year.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Be fair now, there’s just no way they could have known the band practice would be loud when they purchased a home near a school.

Acquaintances of mine complain endlessly about the noise from the public park that borders their land. Because apparently that's easier than thinking about what it might be like to live there before dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars on a house.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

**Urgent alert*

Urgent Alert. So here I am past 4 am concerned. Been having heart flutters for about 4 days now. They became much more frequent around 4 this morning and no longer as apart from before. The other day it felt like I couldn't breathe and like I was drowning in air. I also had the occasional and sporadically brief palpitations for a couple days? Should I go to a nearby hospital ASAP or can I go back to sleep and wait? This started after very poor sleep hygiene.

Any advice from a medical professional would help as well as a recommendation for a nearby facility/doctor (preferably not a hospital). Keep in mind no health insurance or working phone.

I know it's partly just sad that lack of insurance leads to stuff like this but..... good lord don't rely on Nextdoor!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Like, if you are going to rely on social media for urgent medical questions, at least use Twitter.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

are garage door springs really that dangerous to replace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

hell astro course posted:

are garage door springs really that dangerous to replace?

they're under a pretty heavy load. when one of mine broke, it sounded like a shotgun went off. i tried to unload the second one to replace the two and it shot across the room and put a hole through the drywall and took a chunk out of a stud. i'm glad it didn't hit me. i called a pro.