Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Not sure if it was here or somewhere else but basically someone said that conservatives must think that their kids are taught history by walking through a park and asking what the statue is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s nothing beyond seeing a headline and going: ME ANGRY, DEMOCRATS DUMB!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

Not sure if it was here or somewhere else but basically someone said that conservatives must think that their kids are taught history by walking through a park and asking what the statue is for.

Well sure it explains how little they know of history because they don't remember going to the statue park.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Got a real-life forward. Had a pizza lunch at work to welcome a new colleague. The local delivery place is having some problems at the moment finding drivers, and so the pizza was like an hour later than we were expecting it.

One of the managers went off on a big rant to the secretary that picked up the pizzas about how 'no one wants to work anymore' and 'it's all the fault of those government checks'. He's otherwise a pretty left-leaning guy, so I'm not sure where this came from.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Bobulus posted:

Got a real-life forward. Had a pizza lunch at work to welcome a new colleague. The local delivery place is having some problems at the moment finding drivers, and so the pizza was like an hour later than we were expecting it.

One of the managers went off on a big rant to the secretary that picked up the pizzas about how 'no one wants to work anymore' and 'it's all the fault of those government checks'. He's otherwise a pretty left-leaning guy, so I'm not sure where this came from.

Feels like everyone is losing their mind about it. People are treating an inconvenience like its personal.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I've gotten some otherwise bend-over-backwards amazing service I didn't ask for by just being chill about staff shortages and letting them handle poo poo as best they can manage. Every time it happens I wonder how man sociopath assholes they've had to deal with recently.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A lot of otherwise liberal congenial people swing violently to the right the instant they have to wait more then 5 minutes to get their treats

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Starve a liberal, a fascist hungers

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

VitalSigns posted:

A lot of otherwise liberal congenial people swing violently to the right the instant they have to wait more then 5 minutes to get their treats

I think Star Trek says it best

Quark posted:

Let me tell you something about Hew-mons, Nephew. They're a wonderful, friendly people, as long as their bellies are full and their holosuites are working. But take away their creature comforts, deprive them of food, sleep, sonic showers, put their lives in jeopardy over an extended period of time and those same friendly, intelligent, wonderful people... will become as nasty and as violent as the most bloodthirsty Klingon. You don't believe me? Look at those faces. Look in their eyes.

DS9 is still oddly prescient and I love rewatching it.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

V-Men posted:

They just argue that the southern strategy isn't real.

edit: it reminds me of when Rand Paul went to Howard University and thought he'd blow their minds by asking how many people knew Lincoln was a Republican. i guess he thought black college students didn't read history in high school.

Remember in one of Bill O'Reilly's books where he was amazed that black people could be civilized in a restaurant?

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Just start assuming that 99-100% of conservatives are arguing in bad faith.

Statues make you forget history? It's a plainly moronic take that has miraculously become a staple talking point regardless how often it's proven to be idiotic. Like someone pointed out, no one gave a poo poo about statues until it became a talking point either.

"Well what about the flu?" Again, this is just dipshittery, goal-posting, stalling, whatever you want to call it. In the end it's just what they perceive as the magical combination of words that "wins" an argument for them.

It's all about throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing if literally any of it slides off slower than the rest. Thus a conservative talking point is born.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I always love the "Crazy how the flu just suddenly went away in 2020, huh?" gotcha that you see on community forums. Yes, crazy how people not going to work when they felt sick, washing their hands more frequently and being considerate of other's health by wearing a mask "suddenly" made the flu go away.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Medullah posted:

I always love the "Crazy how the flu just suddenly went away in 2020, huh?" gotcha that you see on community forums. Yes, crazy how people not going to work when they felt sick, washing their hands more frequently and being considerate of other's health by wearing a mask "suddenly" made the flu go away.

I've never understood what their argument is supposed to be. Are they arguing that the seasonal flu is a hoax every single year until 2020 when the people running the hoax forgot to keep it going because they were busy with the COVID hoax?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

jjack229 posted:

I've never understood what their argument is supposed to be. Are they arguing that the seasonal flu is a hoax every single year until 2020 when the people running the hoax forgot to keep it going because they were busy with the COVID hoax?

Their lovely argument is that all the covid deaths are just falsified flu deaths. Anyways the correct response to that is "yeah proves masks work so well we should mandate them every flu season".

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Medullah posted:

Everytime a conservative has said poo poo about the flu, that's been my response. "Your argument proves masks work" usually shut them up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Friend posted this from a Burger King.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Sorry it's come to this. No one wants to work. Please order your meal from the kiosk and we'll have our team get right to it!

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Imagine not wanting to be a cashier, at a fast food restaurant, during a pandemic, in America.

How lazy and selfish!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

But moooooooooooooom, why is capitalism working against me?! It’s never done this before!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Grimdude posted:

Imagine not wanting to be a cashier, at a fast food restaurant, during a pandemic, in America.

How lazy and selfish!

https://twitter.com/BrentTerhune/status/1392256772430237696?s=20

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

You can tell this is parody because he forgot the sunglasses.

setfiretothecouch
Oct 21, 2008
I have an acquaintance who keeps posting antivax stuff and then things about a great awakening. Is this a qanon thing or a whole separate conspiracy with an awakening? Trying to figure out what rabbit hole she's gone down. Very tied into the "wellness" community

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds a bit like the Pastel QAnon flavor of Conspirituality.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Great Awakening is definitely Qanon

Edit - r/Great Awakening was one of the original Q boards.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Friend posted this from a Burger King.

The kiosk tells them to go around into the kitchen to make their own burgers and fries.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

The kiosk tells them to go around into the kitchen to make their own burgers and fries.

I read a (probably fake) TIFU recently where a family went to get pizza and nobody was there. They even went in back and checked the freezer (afraid they'd find hostages or bodies) but nope, nobody home even though the doors were unlocked and all the lights were on. Called the police and were told an officer would be there shortly.

Another family came in while they were searching and made an order. They tried to explain but it wasn't getting through, so one of the kids got them a soda to shut them up. Someone else came in and understood, but the first family was still demanding their pizza so he volunteered to run the kitchen

The cop came back after they made and served several pizzas and was quite confused, first that it seemed busy then if they were trying to steal food then why the hell they were doing it. He scolded them and sent them along.

Apparently the manager had left in the middle of her shift because of relationship drama and the other employees were underage or something so they all just left after an hour or two

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
If they want some real republican bullshit, because we have so many laws protecting "the holy business and corporate personhood", I can't pay them to do part of my overworked job, nor can I extend them a neighborly 1% loan. I'll just have to keep all the money myself I suppose.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The only manager or crew walkouts I’d heard of before 2010 were at pizza places (delivery, specifically), so that part seems possible to me

of course, the manager walkout (there was a power outage and the AM walked out rather than keep track of orders on paper: lol as gently caress but also relatable as gently caress) resulted in the drivers on shift reminding him to leave his keys so he didn’t have to come back, and calling the DM (GM was on his first week away in two years, it was a perfect storm of hilarity for me when I showed up at 4:30 and inconvenience for everyone with authority), not just wandering out

I hope those kids, if they’re real, at least made themselves some pies to take with them!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

LonsomeSon posted:

I hope those kids, if they’re real, at least made themselves some pies to take with them!
At that point can't you just stuff your backpack with a 5gal drum of sauce, 10lb bags of pepperoni and cheese, and make them at home?

I'm getting visions of Arthur Dent walking into an abandoned pizza store in an abandoned city of a hopeless nation.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DarkHorse posted:

I read a (probably fake) TIFU recently where a family went to get pizza and nobody was there. They even went in back and checked the freezer (afraid they'd find hostages or bodies) but nope, nobody home even though the doors were unlocked and all the lights were on. Called the police and were told an officer would be there shortly.

Another family came in while they were searching and made an order. They tried to explain but it wasn't getting through, so one of the kids got them a soda to shut them up. Someone else came in and understood, but the first family was still demanding their pizza so he volunteered to run the kitchen

The cop came back after they made and served several pizzas and was quite confused, first that it seemed busy then if they were trying to steal food then why the hell they were doing it. He scolded them and sent them along.

Apparently the manager had left in the middle of her shift because of relationship drama and the other employees were underage or something so they all just left after an hour or two

Almost got a community pizza kitchen out of the deal, if everyone just kept swapping off pie duty everyone coulda had pizza.

Also if nobody involved the drat fuzz

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

At that point can't you just stuff your backpack with a 5gal drum of sauce, 10lb bags of pepperoni and cheese, and make them at home?

I'm getting visions of Arthur Dent walking into an abandoned pizza store in an abandoned city of a hopeless nation.

You’d want to make fresh pies in addition to taking ingredients, pretty much no home convection oven is going to give you a pie which isn’t over or underdone, the pizza ovens there will give you nice pies which are crispy and gooey in the correct places.

e: VVV also 100% this, really

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 24, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah doesn't need anyone to be underage to go "gently caress it" if the only manager on duty walks out. Kitchen staff is loyal to each other and substance abuse. Push comes to shove we rally and throw the lovely manager under the bus when the higher ups come calling, and prolly get in good graces for it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Grimdude posted:

Statues make you forget history? It's a plainly moronic take that has miraculously become a staple talking point regardless how often it's proven to be idiotic. Like someone pointed out, no one gave a poo poo about statues until it became a talking point either.

Actually I remember one statue that became a right wing talking point and was shown on many news outlets and political cartoons. That being the statue of Saddam Hussein in Firdos Square in Iraq that got pulled down.

Weirdly, I don't remember anyone on the right getting upset and claiming that the Iraqi citizens were destroying history!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Grimdude posted:

Just start assuming that 99-100% of conservatives are arguing in bad faith.

"Well what about the flu?" Again, this is just dipshittery, goal-posting, stalling, whatever you want to call it. In the end it's just what they perceive as the magical combination of words that "wins" an argument for them.

It's all about throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing if literally any of it slides off slower than the rest. Thus a conservative talking point is born.

Yeah, but what about FREEDOM and the USA, huh? HUH?

*pokes a finger in your chest*

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

LonsomeSon posted:

The only manager or crew walkouts I’d heard of before 2010 were at pizza places (delivery, specifically), so that part seems possible to me

of course, the manager walkout (there was a power outage and the AM walked out rather than keep track of orders on paper: lol as gently caress but also relatable as gently caress) resulted in the drivers on shift reminding him to leave his keys so he didn’t have to come back, and calling the DM (GM was on his first week away in two years, it was a perfect storm of hilarity for me when I showed up at 4:30 and inconvenience for everyone with authority), not just wandering out

I might have made the underage part up actually. I've worked plenty of retail but never food service, so I wasn't sure if everyone would quit if there wasn't a reason

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DarkHorse posted:

Yes!

My worry just scales with the severity of the virus and the disease it causes

God the bears are just so toxic

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Bobulus posted:

In every American community there are varying shades of political opinion. One of the shadiest of these is the liberals. An outspoken group on many subjects, ten degrees to the left of center in good times, ten degrees to the right of center if it affects them personally.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Pretty sure not living your stated values is kind of a thing with pretty much any cross tab of people.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Even weirder is that I'm pretty sure the extra checks have ended everywhere.

Around here, Domino's is currently only open 4PM-10PM because they lost half the staff in the area due to COVID (presumably sick/quarantining and they didn't all die). And when I went to Kroger yesterday, they had the staff putting out stock in the morning because most of the overnight crew was out sick.

Seems like a combination of people getting sick and people changing jobs more than the unemployment money at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah, my local Target is closing at 6pm now, presumably due to staffing issues. They picked a bad time to take over a closed Nordstroms and triple their floor space.