Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Affi posted:

How do you justify Rob even functioning after the amount of pain and maiming he's been through?
And to willingly keep seeking it out?

Like the series but it's my pet peeve.

My headcanon is that the system is dulling his pain response. Either that or his pain response is otherwise well outside the (Elven) norm. NPCs frequently note that Rob's pain-tolerance is off-the charts compared to most people.

The Elves, even with healing magic and on paper back at full HP take days, weeks, and sometimes even months to recover from injuries that Rob bounces back from after a good night's rest at most. Riardian was down for ~2 weeks if I remember right from what would qualify as, at worst, a moderate injury for Rob. And even after 2 weeks of rest it turned out he was pushing himself so hard just by walking around that he relapsed. I've been assuming how long it takes Elves to recover is a subtle nod to the common stereotype of Elves as slender/fragile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Elves have one meal once a week. Their bodies are working with far less energy

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Affi posted:

Is He just loving bonkers and imagines having a buddy in diplomacy?

I'm assuming that Diplomacy is actually the human god who died without any humans in the world and then resurrected in a weird way when it was just Rob.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

KamikazePotato posted:

Patreon is worth more than a KU readthrough, yes. In fact, a direct sale is worth a little more than a full KU readthrough as well. KU's strength comes from the extremely high audience it opens your book up to.

The stats you're providing are really interesting, are you able to maybe supply an idea of a 30-day trend or so once it's been up for that amount of time?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

Elves have one meal once a week. Their bodies are working with far less energy

Oooh, that's a good point. But maybe they're photosynthetic. Or manasynthetic. Or otherwise getting energy from something other than food.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The stats you're providing are really interesting, are you able to maybe supply an idea of a 30-day trend or so once it's been up for that amount of time?

Sure, can do. If you want a quick fun fact update, the 63%-34% split between KU and Direct Sale has widened to 68%-29%. It'll never stop widening, I think. Paperback holding the fort down at 3%.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I thought maybe at least one person in this this thread might appreciate this litrpg microfiction as much as I did:

https://twitter.com/tragickalbooks/status/1440421672163500037

quote:

At first, me and Jetty didn’t punch anyone. It isn’t easy going up to strangers and using your knuckles to collide with their bone geometry and seeing what they’ll do in response, all the faces people make, and it’s worse if they don’t get mad, just really pathetic and sobbing and freaking out. But we got so hungry we were actually like, wow, starvation real. This actually happens to people. So we lay down in a ditch and punched each other ten times.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Demesne posted:

"I'm not going to kill them," Lori said, insulted.

"I'm more worried about what would happen if you had to talk to them," Rian said.

"…all right, that's fair," Lori said.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/40290/demesne Is pretty entertaining. The MC is a monster, but one of the tolerable kind of monsters so far.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

catgirlgenius posted:

I thought maybe at least one person in this this thread might appreciate this litrpg microfiction as much as I did:

RELATIVE TIME KNIFE
Yeah this is excellent, I love it. The Comedy and the horror both landed. It's interesting to read good writers intentionally breaking grammatical rules for effect.

LLSix posted:

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/40290/demesne Is pretty entertaining. The MC is a monster, but one of the tolerable kind of monsters so far.

Demense posted:

In the middle of the rains, they finally finished digging the core for the demesne.

Whisperer Lolilyuri, Lori to most,
NOPE

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I don’t know how I got through as many chapters as I somehow managed to without noticing this.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

KamikazePotato posted:

Sure, can do. If you want a quick fun fact update, the 63%-34% split between KU and Direct Sale has widened to 68%-29%. It'll never stop widening, I think. Paperback holding the fort down at 3%.

Is this calculated in terms of number of sales, or $ income?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is "number of sales" even a thing for KU? You're not actually selling anything, in that case.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blastron posted:

I don’t know how I got through as many chapters as I somehow managed to without noticing this.

Like chapter 18 or something talks about the author's other story which is based on Sentai Rangers so you know he's enough of a weeb to have known exactly what he's doing with that name. It's like Randidly Ghosthound except I feel like I have to take a shower if I actually read the name instead of just scanning it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyway I read more and despite the author clearly having an extreme case of needing to go outside and stop watching anime and bootleg Fuji TV, Demense is actually pretty good. I like it. Minimal anime leakage into the story. It's about a wizard with the social senses of a brick forming a Dungeon, which is some kind of magic orb that gives them basically unlimited power... But not knowledge on how to use that magic, cuz Lori could only use one school. So its about her doing magic, mostly to build things, and her adjutant running around and handling everything else, but mostly trying to coax her into not being so much of a dumbass. The dungeon thing is necessary because the planet is covered in self replicating magical poison that's basically grey goop that's also radioactive, and the dungeon takes a big chunk of area and converts all that into loose magic for Lori.

The main protagonist isn't a monster, by the way. She just comes off as autistic. Or maybe a mild kind of sociopathy. But she does have this weird thing about food so maybe it's trauma related. I had a couple of extremely lean years as a kid and personally it's impossible to empathize with anyone unless I actually try. It broke something in my brain and it's not automatic anymore. Maybe that makes me a 'tolerable kind of monster' but that seems like an incredibly dumb rear end take on this story. Either way, there has yet to be any tragic backstory for Lori, or anyone really for that matter. And I just noticed except for hair color and one mention of eye color I have no idea what anybody looks like at all.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 23, 2021

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

Is this calculated in terms of number of sales, or $ income?

Income.

Cicero posted:

Is "number of sales" even a thing for KU? You're not actually selling anything, in that case.

People who don't have KU can buy it directly for Kindle.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

KamikazePotato posted:

Patreon is worth more than a KU readthrough, yes. In fact, a direct sale is worth a little more than a full KU readthrough as well. KU's strength comes from the extremely high audience it opens your book up to.

So you think KU's audience off-sets the fact that you probably can't get any new RR readers? Are there enough stats on RR to see if KU readers then go to RR to read the latest chapters or if it's just the people who jumped onboard during the first book?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Megazver posted:

So you think KU's audience off-sets the fact that you probably can't get any new RR readers? Are there enough stats on RR to see if KU readers then go to RR to read the latest chapters or if it's just the people who jumped onboard during the first book?

I've seen other authors report that KU is simply the more profitable route, multiple times.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

It's just a joke from the author - the first chapter is called "Our Unfortunately Named Protagonist." There's no sex scenes at all, and one of the Lori's first rules is that children shouldn't be sexualized/involved with sex in any way.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 23, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Wild idea, don’t make the Loli/Yuri joke. That’s it, that’s the wild idea. Don’t do the dumb thing.

Shunning people for failing this incredibly low bar seems super fair, there is a ton of other content to read and maybe they’ll learn something or maybe they’ll keep making dumb jokes, but either way we won’t be amplifying their dumb decisions.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
So, I'm all caught up on Wandering Inn, Katalepsis and The Gods Are Bastards.

What should I read next?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Anias posted:

Wild idea, don’t make the Loli/Yuri joke. That’s it, that’s the wild idea. Don’t do the dumb thing.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Beware of chicken shifts to a Chinese cultivator setting but it's a great slice of life xianxia world.

The MC gets isekaied into Xianxia cultivator world and decides to not chase to "defy the heavens" and becomes a Farmer.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Elfface posted:

What should I read next?
Worth the Dragoneye Chicken

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chillyrabbit posted:

Beware of chicken shifts to a Chinese cultivator setting but it's a great slice of life xianxia world.

The MC gets isekaied into Xianxia cultivator world and decides to not chase to "defy the heavens" and becomes a Farmer.

It's more that he immediately recognizes how toxic the culture is and gets the gently caress outta dodge. It's quite good.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Forge of Destiny has the TWI/TGAB/Beware of Chicken thing going on where every alternative POV is a highlight, and imo it is also the only work in the webserial sphere that comes close to Katalepsis' mastery of esoteric imagery, albeit much more sparingly used. The world-building is unmatched

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Elfface: I would recommend into the mire, but it has been taken down. Practical Guide to Evil is not as good, but better than TGAB and TWI.

I tried to read Pale and Wildbow has gotten worse since Worm. Unbelievably bloated(more than 2k words in one chapter of a girl mowing a lawn!), way too fixated on 13-year-olds undressing and featuring an abusive father who feels like a parody.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Neurophage posted:

Elfface: I would recommend into the mire, but it has been taken down. Practical Guide to Evil is not as good, but better than TGAB and TWI.

I tried to read Pale and Wildbow has gotten worse since Worm. Unbelievably bloated(more than 2k words in one chapter of a girl mowing a lawn!), way too fixated on 13-year-olds undressing and featuring an abusive father who feels like a parody.

I come back to Pale every week to see if there's any cool supernatural fighty/lore stuff going on, because when there is it's usually worth the trip, but every time a Wildbow™ Logic Engine starts talking my eyes glaze over.

Zed, John and Ray are the only engaging characters in there, and it's kind of funny that two of them are famously wooden in-universe, but they outshine everyone else in my eyes by virtue of having an actual character voice or whatever you wanna call it

Breastbiter has done more to endear himself to me than the main trio, and 60% of his dialogue is a joke that wasn't funny the first time

Ramie fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 23, 2021

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Neurophage posted:

It's still up on the author's site.

https://intothemire.com/table-of-contents/

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Narmi posted:

It's still up on the author's site.

https://intothemire.com/table-of-contents/

Strange, the site was down when I visited it an hour ago. Anyway, you should check this out because it's the only web serial I've read with good prose.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Neurophage posted:

featuring an abusive father who feels like a parody.

lol if you didn't encounter abuse that reads as parody, like my former-army scoutmaster who literally slammed me against the wall with his hand on my neck for blowing through a straw at the air museum, or my first girlfriend who used to slap the poo poo out of me for talking about things she didn't want to talk about, and straight-up told me it was my fault for making her upset and why did I make her do it, baby you know she has to hit me when I do things like that

never underestimate people's ability to be lovely, is what I'm saying

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Elfface posted:

What should I read next?

If you liked Katalepsis, odds are you'd like Palus Somni. The author finished it 3 months ago too.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/25475/palus-somni

quote:

It is the final days after the end of the world and you only have one month left before the last sanctuary erupts into chaos. There's a dead body hanging from a tree and cadaverous giants watch you sleep at night. The end is already here, you just don't know it yet.

Palus Somni (‘Marsh of Sleep’) is a worldbuilding webnovel about what happens when your God forsakes you.

Inspired by gothic horror and mingled with British myth and folklore, join the Alucinari nuns as they struggle with day-to-day life after the world has ended.

Every night when the sun sets the monstrous Gol, colossal beings with too many teeth, awaken and roam the marshlands. Only those with a faithful heart will be spared. Young acolyte Wille has never seen the walls fail, but when a fellow nun is murdered within their sanctum the very safety of the monastery is thrown into question. Did the Gol find a way to breach their defences, or is there a human traitor amongst them? The answer lies both far in the past and deep beneath the earth, through the maze of ancient catacombs.

With a cast of over thirty different characters, watch as your friends and enemies spiral into inevitable madness at the hands of a callous and unforgiving world. Discover the secrets of Palus Somni through letters, diary entries and notes found scattered across the monastery. Uncover the mystery of the grotesque giants that stalk the night and bring your challenge to the Gods themselves.

Each character has their own handmade pixel art, and every update includes a music recommendation for a dark atmospheric dungeon synth album that you can listen to while you read.

Slice of life meets cosmic abomination: Palus Somni is a collection of intertwining stories, some chapters are stand-alone tales while others feed into the overarching narrative. It is an exploration into a community, and rather than focusing on any one character the story meanders through the convent, exposing the hopes and fears of its inhabitants.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Megazver posted:

This depends largely on the state of the author's Patreon and their general fanbase outreach. The fact of the matter is, if you want to make a living off this profession, Royal Road on its own means nothing. Think of the site as paying you in exposure. As amazing as it is to have thousands of people reading your story, that won't pay your bills or make sure you can eat dinner. I've seen extremely successful stories on Royal Road with Patreons that don't exceed $100. Maybe they don't make Patreon attractive for people (standard practice is to offer quite a few chapters in advance), or maybe their story just isn't the type to create dedicated fans. In this case, stunting Royal Road growth is no loss at all, because they weren't getting anything from it in the first place. Might as well throw the story on KU and make a few bucks.

If you DO have a successful Patreon, that changes things somewhat. At that point, the choice somewhat depends on your story's growth. If your story is booming on RR and elsewhere, it may be worth holding off on an Amazon release until your Patreon has peaked. This decision get muddied if your Patreon just keeps growing and growing, but that's a situation for the 1% of the 1% to enjoy. Patreons naturally decline unless you have a constant influx of new readers. Most stories simply don't grow after they hit a certain point, as the way people find stories is via Most Popular lists, which are dominated by the top stories, which then get more popular...essentially, the rich get richer, and everyone else fights for scraps.

For me, I accidentally timed the book release perfectly, as my Patreon was just starting to decline. I hid a natural saturation point where Outcast could no longer grow quickly enough to outpace Patreon bleed. The timing also let me get the book out while my dedicated fans were still here, which is primarily responsible for my success. They pushed me up the rankings. Shoutout to those glorious bastards who I sincerely love and appreciate.

...And even IF your Patreon is growing constantly, KU is still a great option. He Who Fights With Monsters is the most popular LitRPG and it double-dips on both KU and Patreon. Makes a shitload of money. Now, you have to watch out for readers potentially revolting if you start taking down chapters, but in my experience they don't do that if...well...you treat them like human beings and explain the situation. I was up front with my readers and gave them free PDFs of Book 1, and they had almost zero issues with my move.

All in all, KU is an amazing moneymaker for authors. Anyone aspiring to make a decent living as a writer needs to heavily, heavily consider it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the only time i've ever been burned by an author's RR -> amazon practices was when dungeon crawler carl pushed a bunch of updates quickly that finished off a volume and then the author converted that volume over to amazon a few days later, while i was taking a week or two off of reading the story. but y'know i'd gotten a lot of free entertainment out of the previous volumes including the free PDFs so i didn't feel particularly bad about paying and finishing that one on amazon. KU is even better from that perspective since i'm paying for it anyway and can therefore support an author financially without needing to give myself another bill thru patreon

the main worry i have about this business model as a reader is that web serials converted volume-by-volume into books will probably get buried pretty quickly once they finish and be much less accessible to readers looking for something good a few years down the road than a traditionally published book or a web serial with a free backlog. this is mostly a problem for books like dungeon crawler carl that aren't doing KU tho

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

KamikazePotato posted:

This depends largely on the state of the author's Patreon and their general fanbase outreach. The fact of the matter is, if you want to make a living off this profession, Royal Road on its own means nothing. Think of the site as paying you in exposure. As amazing as it is to have thousands of people reading your story, that won't pay your bills or make sure you can eat dinner. I've seen extremely successful stories on Royal Road with Patreons that don't exceed $100. Maybe they don't make Patreon attractive for people (standard practice is to offer quite a few chapters in advance), or maybe their story just isn't the type to create dedicated fans. In this case, stunting Royal Road growth is no loss at all, because they weren't getting anything from it in the first place. Might as well throw the story on KU and make a few bucks.

If you DO have a successful Patreon, that changes things somewhat. At that point, the choice somewhat depends on your story's growth. If your story is booming on RR and elsewhere, it may be worth holding off on an Amazon release until your Patreon has peaked. This decision get muddied if your Patreon just keeps growing and growing, but that's a situation for the 1% of the 1% to enjoy. Patreons naturally decline unless you have a constant influx of new readers. Most stories simply don't grow after they hit a certain point, as the way people find stories is via Most Popular lists, which are dominated by the top stories, which then get more popular...essentially, the rich get richer, and everyone else fights for scraps.

For me, I accidentally timed the book release perfectly, as my Patreon was just starting to decline. I hid a natural saturation point where Outcast could no longer grow quickly enough to outpace Patreon bleed. The timing also let me get the book out while my dedicated fans were still here, which is primarily responsible for my success. They pushed me up the rankings. Shoutout to those glorious bastards who I sincerely love and appreciate.

...And even IF your Patreon is growing constantly, KU is still a great option. He Who Fights With Monsters is the most popular LitRPG and it double-dips on both KU and Patreon. Makes a shitload of money. Now, you have to watch out for readers potentially revolting if you start taking down chapters, but in my experience they don't do that if...well...you treat them like human beings and explain the situation. I was up front with my readers and gave them free PDFs of Book 1, and they had almost zero issues with my move.

All in all, KU is an amazing moneymaker for authors. Anyone aspiring to make a decent living as a writer needs to heavily, heavily consider it.

From my limited (non-author) experience, those that complain the most about chapters being taken down are complete rear end holes. They don't tend to be Patreon supportors, don't use KU and don't purchase the books and are extremely hostile to the author. If you support an author on patreon I doubt buying the book would really be much of an issue and even then if you just politely ask the author on patreon they may even send you an epub of the chapters.

I view RR as a site to try and build an audience and don't hold anything against anyone who moves to KU because they'd like to actually make money. I don't know how much it hurts for bringing in new readers if you don't have the early chapters. I notice that He Who Fights With Monsters and Defiance of the Fall both include a few chapters (13 & 7) before you have to go to KU or buy the volume, but This Young Master is not Cannon Fodder completely removed 1 to 25. Though that author just started KU stuff and I don't know KU's rules, so maybe someone can tell them that they can add the first few chapters back.

Honestly I prefer the KU model over the Qidian (webnovel) model which might be endemic to Chinese webnovels of pay per chapter and highly incentive authors to write like you pay per chapter because you do (e.g. 50k words to say nothing). Granted a similar accusation has been leveled at KU authors.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
One thing I've been wondering about for a while is if RR has any plans to build their own monetization platform. Patreon doesn't have any discoverability features, so I'd assume that any new authors looking to do the RR posts + patreon advance chapters model would be perfectly happy to just do that entirely on RR instead.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Maguoob posted:

I don't know how much it hurts for bringing in new readers if you don't have the early chapters. I notice that He Who Fights With Monsters and Defiance of the Fall both include a few chapters (13 & 7) before you have to go to KU or buy the volume, but This Young Master is not Cannon Fodder completely removed 1 to 25. Though that author just started KU stuff and I don't know KU's rules, so maybe someone can tell them that they can add the first few chapters back.

I read the KU rules, and nowhere does it say that you can leave early chapters up. I think it's something people kind of...get away with? KU doesn't ding you unless someone reports you and Amazon takes issue. The chances are very low I think, but I personally wasn't going to take that chance.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TUTBAD 21: isra is the loving cutest person ever i swear to god :kimchi:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

KamikazePotato posted:

I read the KU rules, and nowhere does it say that you can leave early chapters up. I think it's something people kind of...get away with? KU doesn't ding you unless someone reports you and Amazon takes issue. The chances are very low I think, but I personally wasn't going to take that chance.

I've read in multiple sources that you're allowed to have ~10% of a book out there as a free preview. I can't be bothered to read all the documentation to find out if that's actually a thing

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Megazver posted:

I've read in multiple sources that you're allowed to have ~10% of a book out there as a free preview. I can't be bothered to read all the documentation to find out if that's actually a thing

I decided to skim through the KDP terms and yeah I don’t see anything allowing authors to keep up any chapters.

“KDP TOS” posted:

1 Exclusivity. When you include a Digital Book in KDP Select, you give us the exclusive right to sell and distribute your Digital Book in digital format while your book is in KDP Select. During this period of exclusivity, you cannot sell or distribute, or give anyone else the right to sell or distribute, your Digital Book (or a book that is substantially similar), in digital format in any territory where you have rights.

I r not lawman, but that looks like if your chapters are part of a book in KU they probably shouldn’t be available elsewhere. Though I guess for an author the easiest thing to do would be to contact Amazon and just ask them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It says that but then there's a handful of authors who just do it anyway. Whether that means they got permission or Amazon just doesn't care since it's not being sold, or didn't bother to look for it, I dunno.