Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Philthy posted:

Zuh? Nemesis while it's not top tier, it's regarded as one of the better reads in the series. It's one to look forward to.

You're one of the few people I've seen say that to be honest.

I haven't read it myself, but does it actually move the HH plot along in any way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Nemesis is the assassin one yea? It's a semi cool story to see all the various assassin temples do things but the target is Horus so the entire thing seems like an exercise in futility. It would have been better if they just wrote in generic chaos general or placed the story in a different time.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

You're one of the few people I've seen say that to be honest.

I haven't read it myself, but does it actually move the HH plot along in any way?

Not even a little bit. Though it dovetails into a short story and gets concluded in a novella.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

You're asking that in a.. what.. 50? 80? book series thus far. 90% of them don't move the story anywhere.

I mean, if someone wants to cut corners, read the first three and jump to Siege of Terra. Done.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
If you want books that needfully move the plot along you are going to read a fraction of the HH novels. Which is fine, but using that as a criticism is hilariously dumb. Theres a reason why the HH started getting the same flak that 40k did for not moving the plot along, and why the Siege of Terra was a big deal.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I think the HH book list would be like ..... 20 -25 books I'd actually read at most....

1. Horus Rising
2. False Gods
3. Galaxy in Flames (honestly felt this was skippable but it closes the opening trilogy)
4. Legion
5. Mechanicum
6. A Thousand Suns
7. First Heretic
8. Prospero Burns
9. Know no Fear
10. Betrayer
11. Mark of Calth
12. Unremembered Empire (messy but ties some stuff together)
13. Scars
15. Prateorian of Dorne
16. Master of Mankind

Debated Fear to Tread and Path of Heaven cause I liked both the books but honestly not super necessary...Path of Heaven is v solid though .you can probably argue for adding another one or two in here.... like whatever book the pharos got introduced in maybe, some of the Dark Angels sub plot books are ok but if you're looking at the overarching books that give structure I'd probably start here.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Nemesis is like lovely daytime TV. Sure you could watch it, but if you had literally anything else to do you'd be doing it instead.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's worth including the books that are well done even if they don't explicitly move the plot forward.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

wiegieman posted:

It's worth including the books that are well done even if they don't explicitly move the plot forward.

Hi, yes, this is all I was asking for. What books are just bad and don't contribute anything meaningful.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Waroduce posted:

I think the HH book list would be like ..... 20 -25 books I'd actually read at most....

1. Horus Rising
2. False Gods
3. Galaxy in Flames (honestly felt this was skippable but it closes the opening trilogy)
4. Legion
5. Mechanicum
6. A Thousand Suns
7. First Heretic
8. Prospero Burns
9. Know no Fear
10. Betrayer
11. Mark of Calth
12. Unremembered Empire (messy but ties some stuff together)
13. Scars
15. Prateorian of Dorne
16. Master of Mankind

Debated Fear to Tread and Path of Heaven cause I liked both the books but honestly not super necessary...Path of Heaven is v solid though .you can probably argue for adding another one or two in here.... like whatever book the pharos got introduced in maybe, some of the Dark Angels sub plot books are ok but if you're looking at the overarching books that give structure I'd probably start here.

Which book was it where Horus get all powered up? I haven't read it, I just know there is a book where Horus goes somewhere and I guess becomes more of the champion of the Chaos Gods. Last I saw him at end of Fulgrim, he still had enough humanity in him to mourn for the plight of his brother.

I just realized I don't have that book written down on my list and it seems important.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Philthy posted:

Zuh? Nemesis while it's not top tier, it's regarded as one of the better reads in the series. It's one to look forward to.

Regarded by who? Not only does the book go nowhere, it doesn’t even go there by a scenic route. It’s dull and forgettable all the way through. I’ve never talked to anyone who thinks otherwise (though admittedly the list of people I debate the relative merits of 40K tie in fiction with is short).

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I feel like Wolfsbane is kind of the starting point in HH where his transformation into the Horus we know and love from the Siege of Tetta begins to really get seeded. Then again there is probably something like a novella that precludes this.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Which book was it where Horus get all powered up? I haven't read it, I just know there is a book where Horus goes somewhere and I guess becomes more of the champion of the Chaos Gods. Last I saw him at end of Fulgrim, he still had enough humanity in him to mourn for the plight of his brother.

I just realized I don't have that book written down on my list and it seems important.

Vengeful Spirit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Philthy posted:

I've literally never heard anyone praise Nemesis even in the slightest

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The dozen or so 40k Facebook groups? Reddit groups? That's about the only places I frequent outside of this thread really for my 40k fluff fix. It's always coming up in one way or another since everyone has a hardon for assassins.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

I've literally never heard anyone praise Nemesis even in the slightest

I did about a page back. I said it was far from the worst but also not even close to the best.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Does anyone know when the Dawn of Fire series is going to catch-up with the rest of the timeline and start being the present?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I believe they've decided to do a soft reset and use the Indomitus crusade as a setting for story telling rather than as a back drop so it's likely to be quite a while before black library 'catches up' to the current status quo.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
We’re at the point where there’s unironic defending of Nemesis going on.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Philthy posted:

The dozen or so 40k Facebook groups? Reddit groups? That's about the only places I frequent outside of this thread really for my 40k fluff fix. It's always coming up in one way or another since everyone has a hardon for assassins.

Those are just filled with bots and malicious foreign operatives, spreading discord amongst the nerds.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

MrNemo posted:

I believe they've decided to do a soft reset and use the Indomitus crusade as a setting for story telling rather than as a back drop so it's likely to be quite a while before black library 'catches up' to the current status quo.

The Indomitus Crusade is now ongoing and the "current day" of 40k. I'm not sure where Dawn of Fire relates to stuff like the Dark Imperium trilogy, timeline-wise, but it's probably going to be the main metastory for a hot minute.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Shockeh posted:

We’re at the point where there’s unironic defending of Nemesis going on.

Is this what star war fans felt when unironic praising of prequels happened

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Indomitus Crusade is now ongoing and the "current day" of 40k. I'm not sure where Dawn of Fire relates to stuff like the Dark Imperium trilogy, timeline-wise, but it's probably going to be the main metastory for a hot minute.

The Dawn of Fire series is set (at least so far) at the beginning of the Indomitus crusade. Dark Imperium trilogy originally was the very end, but has been retconned to be between like 10-15 years after it started.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

boredsatellite posted:

Is this what star war fans felt when unironic praising of prequels happened

Well, Nemesis has a few good moments, a great concept, but terrible execution. I think the comparison to the Star Wars prequels is oddly apt.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
:gbsmith:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Well, Nemesis has a few good moments, a great concept, but terrible execution. I think the comparison to the Star Wars prequels is oddly apt.

Ah, for the innocent spring of our youths, when we thought the prequels were bad. How could we have known?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Telsa Cola posted:

If you want books that needfully move the plot along you are going to read a fraction of the HH novels. Which is fine, but using that as a criticism is hilariously dumb. Theres a reason why the HH started getting the same flak that 40k did for not moving the plot along, and why the Siege of Terra was a big deal.

wiegieman posted:

The books that are well done always at least feel as though they're moving the plot forward. Like in The First Heretic and Betrayer, the plot doesn't really develop, but at least we feel as though we learn important things about Angron and Lorgar and what the motivations are of those legions. There's thematic development, even if those books aren't really central to the overarching plot.

By contrast, in "Random Salamander Grunts Go On Some Stupid Shaggydog Side Quest #44" by Nick Kyme, the obvious delaying and diddling around and lack of development is just obnoxious.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Apparently its hard to get a copy of The Master of Mankind? I just looked and the best I could find is $30 used. Is it really that good?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Travic posted:

Apparently its hard to get a copy of The Master of Mankind? I just looked and the best I could find is $30 used. Is it really that good?

Lotta people want to learn how the Land Raider got its name.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Preechr posted:

Lotta people want to learn how the Land Raider got its name.

The Master of Mankind's real name is Michael Aster of Mank, Indiana.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DirtyRobot posted:

Like in The First Heretic and Betrayer, the plot doesn't really develop, but at least we feel as though we learn important things about Angron and Lorgar and what the motivations are of those legions. There's thematic development, even if those books aren't really central to the overarching plot.

Really surprising to hear you say this. I've read so many Betrayer quotes, spanning from Angron's early life to well into the thick of the Heresy (e.g. Kharn thrashing Erebus) that I got the impression that the book was 900 pages long and made entirely of plot.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Really surprising to hear you say this. I've read so many Betrayer quotes, spanning from Angron's early life to well into the thick of the Heresy (e.g. Kharn thrashing Erebus) that I got the impression that the book was 900 pages long and made entirely of plot.

I think it's the first time in the lore that anyone from the World Eaters or Word Bearers Legions is portrayed as anything but crazed psychopaths and mustache-twirling religious nutjobs. ADB seems to have a real penchant for doing that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Dark Coil chat: I recently reread some of Peter Fehervari's short stories and noticed some new details in Fire And Ice. I think The Calavera is the Angels Resplendent Chapter Magister.

quote:

‘They are not my kind, traveller,’ replied the giant. ‘We parted company millennia before your kind possessed the wit to dream of touching the stars.’

[...]

‘Your Chapter…’ he hesitated. He could see nothing of the Space Marine’s power armour beneath that ashen robe, but there was an undeniably magisterial quality about him, as though he’d been forged for judgement, not merely execution as most Space Marines were.

[...]

‘Wait!’ she said quickly, hunting for something, anything to delay him. ‘Do you truly see through that orb?’
‘Not through it,’ he said softly. ‘The Aphelion is not a lens.’

[...]

‘Name your Chapter,’ Omazet said as she backed away from the giant, ‘so I might curse its memory.’
‘I have no Chapter,’ answered the Calavera, advancing, ‘for I am Legion.’

[...]

‘Indeed not,’ the Calavera agreed. ‘Aion Escher was a significant and valued piece. A cardinal at the very least.’

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The new Adeptus Ridiculous episode got me intrigued about Genestealer Cults. Are there any good books featuring them? I feel like they'd be perfect for the Warhammer Horror setting.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

The new Adeptus Ridiculous episode got me intrigued about Genestealer Cults. Are there any good books featuring them? I feel like they'd be perfect for the Warhammer Horror setting.

Cult of the Spiral Dawn is good imho

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The coming soon page got an update and we are getting an Inquisition focused Inferno! anthology next month. No word yet on if they are all new stories or existing ones. Even if they are existing ones from old Inferno! issues those were published 20+ years ago so not many have read them.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/blacklibrarycomingsoon/

My copy of Warhawk I ordered from Australia should be here tomorrow or Monday so I'll have it a week or two before you all and I'll let you know how it is. It's Wraight doing an SoT Scars book so I expect it to be amazing.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

We’re supposed to be able to pre order Warhawk today right? LE and pleb?
Edit: There it is! Nvm

Miguel Prado fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 25, 2021

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
They need to release more audiobooks! drat you Covid

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My copy of Warhawk is out for delivery. Sitting at the window like a kid at christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Are we really not going to get the next episode of Angels of Death this week on Warhammer+ ?