Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
does anyone have that gif of the fan in the sandman jersey turning his back on hhh after a pedigree? anyone know what show it's from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Does Rey Mysterio's autobiography give much detail on his work as Robert Englund's stunt double in Freddy vs Jason?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Seams posted:

does anyone have that gif of the fan in the sandman jersey turning his back on hhh after a pedigree? anyone know what show it's from?

From memory he is doing it on Ric Flair, on an episode of RAW. Post Evolution breakup. If that helps.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Remarkably, WWE put the clip on on their own website

https://www.wwe.com/videos/triple-h-vs-ric-flair-raw-february-6-2006

Also remarkable, it was in Atlanta and a mid-show non-title match sandwiched between an Ashley Massaro v. Mickey James squash and a Big Show vs. Shelton Benjamin (ft. Shelton's Momma) squash.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 25, 2021

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Edge & Christian posted:

Remarkably, WWE put the clip on on their own website

https://www.wwe.com/videos/triple-h-vs-ric-flair-raw-february-6-2006

Also remarkable, it was in Atlanta and a mid-show non-title match sandwiched between an Ashley Massaro v. Mickey James squash and a Big Show vs. Shelton Benjamin (ft. Shelton's Momma) squash.

I like their friend next to them who is like half turning around to support their friend but also wants to watch the show

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Dude has his back facing the hard cam long before the Saudis did it at Greatest Royal Rumble. A true visionary.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Way back when Jericho first came into WWF, why did they call his jumping finisher an "offsiding springboard moonsault" instead of "Lionsault"? And did he ever get to call it that in WWF/E? And were there any complications with AEW calling it "Lionsault"?

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Way back when Jericho first came into WWF, why did they call his jumping finisher an "offsiding springboard moonsault" instead of "Lionsault"? And did he ever get to call it that in WWF/E? And were there any complications with AEW calling it "Lionsault"?

I never remember a time when they didn't call Jericho's Asai moonsault the Lionsault in WWE. Since he used the name outside WWE as well, it isn't their IP.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

CommonShore posted:

I don't remember that, but it was probably to make a hockey reference

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I assumed "Lionsault" was the defacto generic name for a second rope springboard moonsault. If WWE/Jericho called it something different, he/they were trying to rebrand it into something - like how the Liontamer became the Walls of Jericho, before they became slightly different moves.

Jericho because Jericho was obviously trying to shed old Lionheart gimmick stuff. WWE because WWE always had a tint of wanting to own everything, even in 1999.

Either way, didn't stick, Jericho still doing them in 2021, it being called the Lionsault despite Jericho not being called Lionheart for over 20 years. It's much like HHH and the Pedigree when he stopped being the snobby Connecticut blue blood(as an on screen character at least) in 1997. I can't remember him ever trying to rebrand it.

Are there any other weird wrestler legacy gimmick tidbits that have stuck with a wrestler far after they've radically shifted to doing something different character wise?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

CommonShore posted:

They never called it that. What you were hearing was their pronunciation of Asai, ultimo dragon's real last name since i guess it was his move?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NameHurtBrain posted:

I assumed "Lionsault" was the defacto generic name for a second rope springboard moonsault. If WWE/Jericho called it something different, he/they were trying to rebrand it into something - like how the Liontamer became the Walls of Jericho, before they became slightly different moves.

Jericho because Jericho was obviously trying to shed old Lionheart gimmick stuff. WWE because WWE always had a tint of wanting to own everything, even in 1999.

Either way, didn't stick, Jericho still doing them in 2021, it being called the Lionsault despite Jericho not being called Lionheart for over 20 years. It's much like HHH and the Pedigree when he stopped being the snobby Connecticut blue blood(as an on screen character at least) in 1997. I can't remember him ever trying to rebrand it.

Are there any other weird wrestler legacy gimmick tidbits that have stuck with a wrestler far after they've radically shifted to doing something different character wise?

For a while Kevin Nash's finish was being called the Truckstop Powerbomb in WCW. Although WCW definitely benefited from people thinking the Outsiders were invading on Vince's behalf, so that might have been intentional.

Kanyon kept calling his finish the Flatliner long after he stopped being Mortis. Edge still called the leaping DDT the impaler for a good long while.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

E: I'm dumb

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

When Scott Hall was briefly back in the WWF in early 2002, did they call his finisher the Outsider's Edge or the Razor's Edge?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

For a while Kevin Nash's finish was being called the Truckstop Powerbomb in WCW. Although WCW definitely benefited from people thinking the Outsiders were invading on Vince's behalf, so that might have been intentional.

He was still calling it the Jackknife Powerbomb, which comes from another truck term. And unless I've really, really misunderstood the nature of his character in the nWo, I'm not sure he had a lot to do with driving trucks for a living.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 26, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

afaik one guy with a bad memory or some kind of weird complex created the term "truckstop powerbomb" wholesale many years ago online, when being someone who posts results made you a big deal to the wrestling community. he claimed it came from wcw magazine but i never saw proof

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you have proof of the truckstop powerbomb, please send me a pm.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

No one has any idea when Hangman is having his baby or when he's coming back, right? Other than announcing on 6/3 that he's having a baby and that beatdown on 8/4 - he's been gone and it's radio silence?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cavauro posted:

if you have proof of the truckstop powerbomb, please send me a pm.

Honestly, after an actual copy of the birdshit WCW ad was discovered, I won't be too surprised if it was actually called that on a random Nitro or two back in 1996, in the same way Mr Perfect once randomly referred to Triple H as "Tri" a few times back in 97.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

edogawa rando posted:

When Scott Hall was briefly back in the WWF in early 2002, did they call his finisher the Outsider's Edge or the Razor's Edge?
It was the Razor's Edge, JR made a big deal of calling it that when he first used it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

edogawa rando posted:

Honestly, after an actual copy of the birdshit WCW ad was discovered, I won't be too surprised if it was actually called that on a random Nitro or two back in 1996, in the same way Mr Perfect once randomly referred to Triple H as "Tri" a few times back in 97.

I wonder if that wasn't just Perfect ribbing "Tri."

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if that wasn't just Perfect ribbing "Tri."

I think JR also said it on commentary at least once

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

I think JR also said it on commentary at least once

It was Shawn that tried to make it a nickname for Hunter during the very early period of DX where Rude was still with them. “Tell ‘em, Tri!”

JR, seconds later, befuddled and disgusted: “Tri.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

luchadornado posted:

No one has any idea when Hangman is having his baby or when he's coming back, right? Other than announcing on 6/3 that he's having a baby and that beatdown on 8/4 - he's been gone and it's radio silence?

It's presumed to be the PPV in November, but no announcement.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Cameo posted:

It was Shawn that tried to make it a nickname for Hunter during the very early period of DX where Rude was still with them. “Tell ‘em, Tri!”

JR, seconds later, befuddled and disgusted: “Tri.

The only correct response. JR has always been right.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Few announcers are as good at selling outrage and disgust as JR

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

When did smackdown replace raw as the main A WWE show?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When Fox started complaining.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

I definitely remember it bring said on commentary. But memory is tricky.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I definitely remember it bring said on commentary. But memory is tricky.

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I searched RSPW archives for truckstop/truck stop powerbomb and found a handful of people from 1997-98 mentioning it. Apparently Tenay and Schiavone called it that briefly in 1996.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

A speculative question: we have very good reasons to believe that Vince McMahon hates professional wrestling. So why then did he decide to do commentary for almost 30 years? (Wiki says he started on commentary all the way back in 1969). I mean I guess he didn't have much choice in the matter until he took the reigns but he kept doing it for another 15 years.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

A speculative question: we have very good reasons to believe that Vince McMahon hates professional wrestling. So why then did he decide to do commentary for almost 30 years? (Wiki says he started on commentary all the way back in 1969). I mean I guess he didn't have much choice in the matter until he took the reigns but he kept doing it for another 15 years.

My guess is because he's also a control freak. His dad would have been in charge in '69, Vince probably thought he was good at it or at least he knew he could trust himself to do it the way he wanted it done.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Vince of 2021 isn't the exact same as the Vince of 1989. I think he maybe just hated Southern Rasslin back then and has just gotten more and more weird and closed-minded to what is acceptable on his sports entertainment like structure as the years went on

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

jesus WEP posted:

The Vince of 2021 isn't the exact same as the Vince of 1989. I think he maybe just hated Southern Rasslin back then and has just gotten more and more weird and closed-minded to what is acceptable on his sports entertainment like structure as the years went on

I'm sure he's also enormously insecure about (among other things) rising into high society but still being considered a low-rent carny by other rich people in his milieu. He'd much rather be a more general entertainment/pop culture magnate than a rasslin' promoter no matter how much money it's made him.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

I'm sure he's also enormously insecure about (among other things) rising into high society but still being considered a low-rent carny by other rich people in his milieu. He'd much rather be a more general entertainment/pop culture magnate than a rasslin' promoter no matter how much money it's made him.
True, and this is hilarious because it’s not owning WWE that makes him look like a carny piece of poo poo it’s being a carny piece of poo poo that makes him look like a carny piece of poo poo

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

When did smackdown replace raw as the main A WWE show?

Immediately when Roman came back. Smackdown was absolute dogshit before then, with Bayley and Sasha being the only real highlights.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NameHurtBrain posted:

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, nephew of Sammy Steamboat.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I personally get the impression that “Vince hates pro wrestling” is probably a misleading oversimplification. I think Vince genuinely loves wrestling, he just has a very narrow, close-minded view of what makes for good pro wrestling, while simultaneously being embarrassed by the stigma of “wrasslin”.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Has Vince ever answered questions about who his favorite wrestler is, or what his favorite match or promo is? I feel like of the few interviews of him there are, they are all about -the business- of pro wrestling or about like, how much he wanted to beat WCW and not about fanboy stuff like a lot of shoots have.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jesus WEP posted:

True, and this is hilarious because it’s not owning WWE that makes him look like a carny piece of poo poo it’s being a carny piece of poo poo that makes him look like a carny piece of poo poo

Vince has never really recovered from the public perception that started with "Wow! This guy turned pro wrestling into a legitimate thing!" that quickly disintegrated when he attempted literally anything else and people started to realize he wasn't as much of a genius architect as they thought and is now the "You tried XFL again lol" guy to an increasingly shrinking circle of diehards advertisers don't care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

He doesn't hate it, he just has a very specific idea of what it should be. Once he was in control being on commentary meant someone who knew where things were going and that he trusted was doing commentary.