Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BurningBeard posted:

Maybe one for the recommendation thread, but thinking about Banks made me wonder if there are any good books about him since he’s passed? Collected personal writings, bio, whatever. Anything like that out there?
Something vaguely like this is on the way, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Neat. Obviously got Covid'ed but hopefully it'll be out soon.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller #1) by Patrick Rothfuss - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010SKUYM/
Yes, I know. You don't need to tell me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
On Amazon UK today it looks like Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett is 1.99 and Moreta - Dragonlad of Pern by Anne McCaffrey is 99p. The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson is on sale too and I've never heard of that one. Quite a few nice deals about.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

HopperUK posted:

On Amazon UK today it looks like Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett is 1.99 and Moreta - Dragonlad of Pern by Anne McCaffrey is 99p. The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson is on sale too and I've never heard of that one. Quite a few nice deals about.

Honestly I'd read this alternate version! :v:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Moreta. What a lad

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
vaccines are turning our dragonriders trans :tinfoil:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Wow I accidentally made that book a lot better

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

The Wee Free Men (Discworld #30) by Terry Pratchett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R33QWY/

Steelheart (Reckoners #1) by Brandon Sanderson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ARHAAZ6/
YA

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

pradmer posted:

The Wee Free Men (Discworld #30) by Terry Pratchett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R33QWY/

Steelheart (Reckoners #1) by Brandon Sanderson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ARHAAZ6/
YA

Unreserved recommendations on both of these. Steelheart is like The Boys in a YA package, and the constrained size means Sanderson has to rein himself in while still keeping the playfulness with magic systems that his fans love. And honestly, his adult books are basically YA reading level, and I think his voice is more natural in the that space.

Wee Free Men is the first Tiffany Aching
Terry Pratchett meets Studio Ghibli
It's great.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik £0.99 UK Kindle daily deal. No idea if it's any good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

EdBlackadder posted:

A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik £0.99 UK Kindle daily deal. No idea if it's any good.

I quite liked it!

minema
May 31, 2011

silvergoose posted:

I quite liked it!

I did too, a good change to the "magic school" formula. Next book is coming out tomorrow as well although I'm not convinced it needed to be a sequel.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Stardust by Neil Gaiman - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC13Y0/

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers #1) by Becky Chambers - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZP64F28/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Since I'm out of KJ Parker books I went back to his Scavengers series, skipped the second and went straight to the third. As usual with Parker's early trilogies, it's possible to ignore the middle volume and pretty much know how things turned out and not be totally out of the loop in the third. It's better, there are more things happening and knowing that the conclusion is nearer is keeping me reading. Such an aimless series though, he really learned how to make his narrative's pace work in Engineer and in his later books.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ccs posted:

Since I'm out of KJ Parker books I went back to his Scavengers series, skipped the second and went straight to the third. As usual with Parker's early trilogies, it's possible to ignore the middle volume and pretty much know how things turned out and not be totally out of the loop in the third. It's better, there are more things happening and knowing that the conclusion is nearer is keeping me reading. Such an aimless series though, he really learned how to make his narrative's pace work in Engineer and in his later books.

After the first book was way too long, the second was actually my favorite. Just chilling in the old country, vibing, impregnating your own daughter, as an amnesiac is wont to do.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I can see how the third book in Scavenger led into Engineer. There's so many overlaps with the stuff at the forge. He even namedrops Sirupat, another of those "wait are these books all set in the same world, no I guess he just likes reusing names".

Like Fencer, there's still too many dream sequences. Thankfully the Engineer trilogy dispensed with that and I haven't seen dream sequences crop up nearly every chapter in any book since.

Harold Fjord posted:

After the first book was way too long, the second was actually my favorite. Just chilling in the old country, vibing, impregnating your own daughter, as an amnesiac is wont to do.

Haha drat that's even more hosed up that what happens in a lot of other Parker books.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 27, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

EdBlackadder posted:

I'll third the recommendation. Its probably my favorite of her novels.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Zore posted:

I'll third the recommendation. Its probably my favorite of her novels.

Fourth, it definitely went a ton easier for me than anything else of hers I've tried. Looking forward to the sequel but it comes out the same night I start my new L5R campaign.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Abercrombie’s Wisdom of crowds was pretty good, where the plot is simply the French Revolution on speed. Brutal and intricate plots as expected, but ultimately the end was easy to predict.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Ccs posted:

Maybe some day we'll get a whole actual novel from Parker, or even better a trilogy, about the Studium and the rooms.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ccs posted:

Haha drat that's even more hosed up that what happens in a lot of other Parker books.

I should be clear. They are married.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

McCoy Pauley posted:

Maybe some day we'll get a whole actual novel from Parker, or even better a trilogy, about the Studium and the rooms.

Yeah that's my dream book from him. But I'd also be content with another short story collection about those subjects.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pradmer posted:

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers #1) by Becky Chambers - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZP64F28/

it took me so long to read this because the blurb made it sound bad but it's probably one of my favorite books ever lol.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

EdBlackadder posted:

It’s good. It’s sequel drops tomorrow.

Edit: f, beaten by a year, but I will Nth the recommendation and look forward to seeing how Gal’s prophecy comes true but on a totally justified way, and why she’s supposed to stay away from Orion.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 27, 2021

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

DreamingofRoses posted:

It’s good. It’s sequel drops tomorrow.

Edit: f, beaten by a year, but I will Nth the recommendation and look forward to seeing how Gal’s prophecy comes true but on a totally justified way, and why she’s supposed to stay away from Orion.

it is not Gal, it has never been Gal, it’s Galadriel, and if that’s too many syllables for you to manage all in one go, El will do.

(I absolutely love this book although like others I’m sceptical about the need for a sequel)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Finally finished the Sandman Slim series by kadrey. Not gonna lie, was not expecting the plot that we got. Definitely wasn't expecting the ending. Still though, gonna miss the series.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Gave Void Star a re-read, still one of my favs. Great for fans of run-on sentences, dreamscapes, and cyberpunk dystopia, in that order. The language gets a little floral at times (a less generous description might be “talks like a very-online tumblr teen describing their ADHD symptoms, dog-eared thesaurus at the ready”) but somehow it Just Works.

Also got through the Eisenhorn omnibus - much better than I was expecting! Good blend of grimdark fantasy and military sci-fi that remembers to be funny occasionally.

Bounced hard off of The Fifth Season, something about the narration just got under my skin. Might try again later, after I get through this pile of Discworld ebooks.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Naomi Novik's The Last Graduate: it mostly good and I mostly enjoyed it a great deal but that last page, holy poo poo. I can see how it makes sense and fits, and it doesnt feel wrong or out of character or anything even but........its pretty harsh!!!

it might actually be that rare sequel (for me) that makes it harder for me to enjoy the previous books, which is kinda funny because that's what I was afraid of but in a completely different way - i thought it would be bad, not that it would be cruel

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 28, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So, I’m only on chapter 3, but the discussion about honeypots is confirming a nasty idea that I’ve had rolling around in my head during the last book. The school is 100% a honeypot to protect the Enclaves

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

awesmoe posted:

Naomi Novik's The Last Graduate: it mostly good and I mostly enjoyed it a great deal but that last page, holy poo poo. I can see how it makes sense and fits, and it doesnt feel wrong or out of character or anything even but........its pretty harsh!!!

it might actually be that rare sequel (for me) that makes it harder for me to enjoy the previous books, which is kinda funny because that's what I was afraid of but in a completely different way - i thought it would be bad, not that it would be cruel

Yeah agreed Jesus that was a gutpunch to end on. I am almost shocked we didn't get any catharsis whatsoever.

Good book and I'm glad to have read it but really don't think I'll be revisiting any time soon.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Zore posted:

Yeah agreed Jesus that was a gutpunch to end on. I am almost shocked we didn't get any catharsis whatsoever.

Good book and I'm glad to have read it but really don't think I'll be revisiting any time soon.

At least the third book is supposed to come out in 2022.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DreamingofRoses posted:

At least the third book is supposed to come out in 2022.

Ah, there's gonna be a sequel? That makes everything make a lot more sense. I thought it was a duology.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zore posted:

Ah, there's gonna be a sequel? That makes everything make a lot more sense. I thought it was a duology.

Amazon had listed it as a duology at one point but yeah I heard it was to be a trilogy. Maybe I'll wait for the third one before reading the second, it does not sound like I will enjoy the ending :\

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Zore posted:

It’s billed as a trilogy, and the blurb on the Penguin Random House website finishes with

quote:

The magic of the Scholomance trilogy will continue in 2022

So :shrug:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DreamingofRoses posted:

It’s billed as a trilogy, and the blurb on the Penguin Random House website finishes with

So :shrug:

Ah yeah, I was going by Amazon which up until today had it listed as a duology.

In that case I actually feel a lot better about the ending.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dangit I was hoping it being a duology. I can understand when authors get a hit on their hands both they and the publisher don't want to let go though. But I'm not as eager to get my hands on the sequel right away when I know it'll just be another cliffhanger.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Zore posted:

Ah yeah, I was going by Amazon which up until today had it listed as a duology.

In that case I actually feel a lot better about the ending.

yeah same
to be fair i didnt dislike the ending - in fact the more i think about it the more i like it - but im keen for the third one

as long as she doesnt pull a loving temeraire and milk that poo poo all the way to soap-opera levels

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Yeah, assuming the third book actually ends things, I'm reasonably happy about the end of the second. It's a cliffhanger, but also reasonably resolves most of the story of the second book, so it's not totally unsatisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I ended up buying Blood of Elves because I saw the number one on the spine but then I read that I should read the short stories first. Are they truly that important to read first or will I most likely be ok.