Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
depends on the chemical tbh, that said afaik any bare un-treated resin is going to be poorly-compatible with many things. even if it doesn't chemically-react they still like to absorb liquids, seeing as how they're fairly porous on the micro scale. i've heard of prints warping badly or getting weird and mushy from extended water contact, who knows what'll happen if it's something nastier than water

for a cooling system the no-brainer tidiest remedy is to electroplate copper over the entire part- not only do you then get to work with copper's chemical resistance, you also fully halt the UV degradation of the part, which'll degrade any print on the timescale of months-to-years. copper will also help with heat transfer, but i wouldnt expect a thin plating to do much legwork in that regard. you can also use an electroless process for this, which is seemingly easier/less expensive to get into than proper electroplating, although i've never done it myself. iirc it's just one or two bottles of reagent you prepare a bath of, and it'll lay down a thin layer of copper on whatever you immerse in it. this doesn't create a copper surface suitable for stuff like mechanical mates, where friction wear will rapidly cut through the thin plating an electroless bath will usually create, but it's probably fine for something like this that won't get handled at all post-installation

e: fwiw i've heard Siraya Tech recommend Sculpt as their most inert resin, broadly speaking, probably because it's full of mica or a similar inert-ish heat-resistant filler

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Is it normal to have to use a raft on most prints? I've found that if I don't, 90% of the time the first layer will start lifting up and it fucks it all up. This is with PLA and ABS on an Ultimaker S5.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

No, that's not normal at all.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

That tends to happen on beds that get hosed up. You may want to try to get a replacement bed or see if you can get away with a deep clean

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Your print bed is crappy or, z axis is too high, bed is too cool, your filament is bad/wet

I'd start with moving your z axis offset down by 0.08mm and bump your bed temp up by 8c, and keep moving the z axis offset down by 0.04 until the problems go away

At least, that solved my problem, good luck. To keep the print from lifting up, you need good first layer bed adhesion, which means you need to really squish that first layer into the bed

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 28, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Anyone here with the Photon Mono SE? I think I've narrowed that down to be my (resin) printer of choice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have the regular Photon Mono and it's excellent. I've had literally one failed print since I got it about a year ago. I assume the SE is even better.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

I have the regular Photon Mono and it's excellent. I've had literally one failed print since I got it about a year ago. I assume the SE is even better.

Cool. What slicers do you use? Is the Photon Workshop thing worth using ?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do all the orientation and support generation in PrusaSlicer because I like its interface, export the whole plate with supports as an STL, and use Photon Workshop to slice that and format it for the printer (which takes like 10 seconds because the only settings left to mess with are layer time and pull height).

I want to write a drag-and-drop converter that will take exported Prusa files, which are just a ZIP full of PNGs with a text file for the layer settings, and spit out a .pwmo so that I don't even have to use Photon Workshop. Unfortunately the .pwmo format was obfuscated last time I checked and I don't really know where to start decompiling something like that.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Anyone here with the Photon Mono SE? I think I've narrowed that down to be my (resin) printer of choice.

I had one and printed happily on it for months 24/7. It's a great printer.

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012

Just use Lychee

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Seconding lychee, I eventually ran into some problems with workshop and it was more of a pain to use. Automated supports are much better out of the gate with lychee, and scenes don't have a tendency to change orientation, shift position, reset elevation, or dropping supports. Only bad thing I can say about it is that it needs internet connectivity to run (or at least the free version does) so my plan of creating some some *.pwmo's during travel fell through.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I do all the orientation and support generation in PrusaSlicer because I like its interface, export the whole plate with supports as an STL, and use Photon Workshop to slice that and format it for the printer (which takes like 10 seconds because the only settings left to mess with are layer time and pull height).

I want to write a drag-and-drop converter that will take exported Prusa files, which are just a ZIP full of PNGs with a text file for the layer settings, and spit out a .pwmo so that I don't even have to use Photon Workshop. Unfortunately the .pwmo format was obfuscated last time I checked and I don't really know where to start decompiling something like that.

Not exactly drag-and-drop, but UVtools will open and convert an awful lot of formats. I've never even bothered to learn how to use any of the other functions, but I understand it's a pretty powerful little program for people who want/need whatever else it does, and it's under constant development.

https://github.com/sn4k3/UVtools

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
uvtools is gold, i don't make nearly enough use of it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deviant posted:

can we talk about why you're still using a creative zen mp3 player in tyool 2021?
Wait, you don't?

It's got more space for music than the smartphones, great sound quality and a 3.5mm jack.

J/k, I just have it on my shelf as an exhibit among my personal music devices and and needed a custom stand as it has the battery latch on the bottom and won't stand straight on its own.

Chitubox works well enough that I can't be bothered to try anything else

Sagebrush posted:

What sort of serious mechanical properties? Impact resistance, stiffness, toughness, lubricity, heat resistance, cold resistance? Do you want something that has higher tensile strength, so it holds its shape rigidly but eventually shatters, or something that has a more gradual response to stress, so it bends a bit under load but springs back?

Broadly, the carbon and glass filaments tend to add a little stiffness, a lot of toughness, and some resistance to warping during printing.

CF nylon is one of the toughest materials you can print -- it will take a hammer blow or being stomped on or whatever. As ImplicitAssembler says, it's not tremendously stiff, so if you're going to be putting it under a lot of load, it won't be "strong" and hold its shape. PET is somewhat stiffer, and carbon-filled PET is about as stiff as unfilled PLA, but significantly tougher and more heat-resistant. PLA is the stiffest common filament, and I'd imagine that carbon-filled PLA is even better, but I've never tried it.

Overall I like CF-PET (I specifically use Colorfabb XT-CF20) the best, I think. It has the best balance of mechanical properties and a beautiful matte finish.

Anyway, no it is not a big pain in the rear end to print these filaments. CF-PET is as easy as regular PET, and CF-nylon is a little easier than other nylons, which is to say somewhat finicky and requires a filament dryer but can be done on a regular Prusa as long as you install a hardened nozzle.
Thanks for the effortpost!

This is really to prototype an intake for my car, so I think it needs a bit of stiffness, harness and heat/cold resistance would be needed since it'd be bolted to the head and will have throttle bodies bolted to it, and could experience vacuum or later boost pressure. Modern cars do use plastic parts there so it should be workable in principle.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The printer is great. The slicer is hot garbage. Use literally anything else. (Lychee)

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Would something like this Garolite bed be an upgrade to the, now that I look at it closer, really beat up glass print bed in my Ultimaker S5? Or should I just buy another new glass one. I pretty much just print with PLA, ABS, and TPU.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

On the topic of Lychee and Photon Slicer/Workshop/whatever it's called, I was getting crappy prints using Lychee Slicer to create the .pwmo file. Like, they'd print, but with anti-aliasing turned on, curved surfaces would look like a topical relief map, and with it turned off they'd have layer lines that would give a crappy FDM print cause for concern.

After some experimenting, I just did my supports in Lychee, exported the supported file as an .stl, and then opened and sliced it in Photon Workshop, with 8x anti-aliasing turned on. So far the prints off of my Photon Mono have been coming out great using that method. Thought I'd share that just in case anyone else was having the same sort of issue.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Would something like this Garolite bed be an upgrade to the, now that I look at it closer, really beat up glass print bed in my Ultimaker S5? Or should I just buy another new glass one. I pretty much just print with PLA, ABS, and TPU.

Did you buy that from a reseller? You should really be talking to an AE of theirs instead of asking randos on the internet about upgrades for a $6,400 printer.

FWIW garolite is primarily used for nylon printing, no idea about applications in printing other than that.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Did you buy that from a reseller? You should really be talking to an AE of theirs instead of asking randos on the internet about upgrades for a $6,400 printer.

FWIW garolite is primarily used for nylon printing, no idea about applications in printing other than that.

We did buy it from a reseller, however I wasn't here when it was bought, I've just inherited it. Ultimaker only make a glass bed for these, so I guess I'll just stick to that then. I'm sure that's what an engineer would say anyway.

Doctor Medic
Apr 15, 2013

Going to space today!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Garolite's primary use is to print polyamide (nylon) filaments. PLA/ABS/TPU will stick to garolite with glue stick, but if you aren't printing nylon (and don't intend to), it's not even a sidegrade, it's just Not As Good At The Job.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Doctor Medic posted:

Garolite's primary use is to print polyamide (nylon) filaments. PLA/ABS/TPU will stick to garolite with glue stick, but if you aren't printing nylon (and don't intend to), it's not even a sidegrade, it's just Not As Good At The Job.

That's what I needed to know, thank you!

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

If you've got the cash to spare, I'd say gently caress it and just go for a full Wham Bam plate setup instead. They make a 355x275 kit specifically for the Ultimaker S5 (not sure why its not in the matterhackers store though).

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
wrong thread whoops tools tag was not tools

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/printinggoeseveron/puzzles-and-props

As a DnD nerd this is fun, but as a 3d printing nerd, this scratches all kinds of itches for me I didn't even know I had. I'm not affiliated at all with this campaign, it just seemed to fit the thread pretty much dead on with the mini talk and printing questions. There's a couple of free stls on the page as well, plus an additional pack of monster trophies you can sign up for.

Mods, if this is against some rule I dunno about, please feel free to delete. If anyone has any patreon pages or knows where to buy/get more of this kinda stuff, please let me know. I'm about 90% of the way of commissioning a Wand of Watoomb from Dr Strange. I needs all my preciouses...

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
There's also a 3D printing for the tabletop thread for anyone wondering.

But personally I think it fits here just fine on account of it being cool even if the gaming angle is not of interest, it's still a neat idea from a 3D printing perspective. Very successful campaign, too! Good for them!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Javid posted:

Anybody else notice they have to babysit a little more with cheap filament? I had been using hatchbox but just got one of the 10-packs from gst3d. It seems like the spools aren't wound as well or something, because barely into the first roll, I've had it bind up a few times mid-print. This has happened 0 times ever with hatchbox, even when I let it unwind like a moron; prints with it are otherwise fine, so it's manageable, just weird.

Took a couple days but I caught this in action; the filament was getting stuck in the little groove on the aftermarket extruder. Not sure if the filament is less dimensionally stable along the length, or just has a grippier surface on it, but I was able to print a little thing to guide the filament which has eliminated the filament jamming issues, yeehaw

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Javid posted:

Took a couple days but I caught this in action; the filament was getting stuck in the little groove on the aftermarket extruder. Not sure if the filament is less dimensionally stable along the length, or just has a grippier surface on it, but I was able to print a little thing to guide the filament which has eliminated the filament jamming issues, yeehaw

That groove was almost certainly worn into the extruder by wear over time, since the filament curls in from above. All-metal extruders will mitigate that to a large extent. Mine also has a little segment of bowden tubing at the filament inlet, so that if anything wears it's the tube which is easy to replace.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That IS a metal extruder and that groove was there the day it arrived

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Javid posted:

That IS a metal extruder and that groove was there the day it arrived

That's dumb. I mean I believe you, but that's dumb.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I don't know why it exists, but it created zero problems with nicer filament, so I'm not blaming the extruder here. If I cared enough to disassemble the thing I'd file it open wider and solve it that way but :effort: with a band-aid that works in place

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When you have a 3D printer then every problem can be solved by adding a cheap plastic part.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
It's just weird because that's specifically a failure mode for plastic extruders. Like, the tension arm breaks and the filament wears a groove that results in binding. Those are the two things that go wrong. I can't imagine why they would purposely put a groove there!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
A couple of my metal extruder arms have a groove, but they’re 100% from wear caused by printing either silk or glow PLA.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Well now I'm curious, so I dug up the exact cheap clone I ordered and:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JZ374W

they very carefully DO NOT show that side of the arm in even one photo (to the extent of removing it for all the photos from that angle); somebody's hiding their shame, apparently.

Javid fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 30, 2021

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
This is the one I have - https://macewen3d.com/products/mk8-extruder-aluminum-drive-feed-for-cr-10-cr-10-s4-and-cr-10-s5

(With the stainless steel drive gear)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Hamburlgar posted:

A couple of my metal extruder arms have a groove, but they’re 100% from wear caused by printing either silk or glow PLA.

Is silk PLA high wear? If so I had no idea

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

The Micro Center $99 Ender 3 Pro deal is live again. It's for new customers only but you're creative, you can figure out a way around that. You'll need to sign up for the coupon, they'll text it to you, and then you just head to your local Micro Center and get one.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

any tips for dealing with stringing? So far I've mostly managed to avoid the problem, most of what I printed didn't matter with stringing.

This is prusa default PLA settings, with a hatchbox PLA
From left to right here, I've changed settings:

• Prusa default (215, default retraction speed of 50 mm/s, default retraction length of zero, no lift)
  • 210, 3 mm retraction length
  • 205, 3 mm retraction length, 60 mm/s retraction speed
  • 205, 3 mm retraction length, 60 retraction speed, 5mm lift Z

This is a pretty painful process so far. The last one is getting closer, but still not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bowden or DD?