Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Halloween Jack posted:

Mideon/P.I. Godwinn competed in two different tag teams as two different characters in the WWF; I wonder how many people have done that?

Al Snow was Leif Cassidy in the New Rockers and Al Snow in Head Cheese and various Job Squad teams.

Same name, but Rikishi was Fatu/Phatu in the Headshrinkers and Too Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

Mideon/P.I. Godwinn competed in two different tag teams as two different characters in the WWF; I wonder how many people have done that? If he and Viscera had actually won the title, he'd probably be the only guy to pull that off.

Mike Rotundo held the Tag Belts as Mike Rotundo and later as IRS

Dolph Ziggler Freebirded the WWE World Tag Belts as a member of The Spirit Squad, then after that was retired, held the replacement Tag Belts as Dolph Ziggler.

As mentioned, Rikishi held the WWF World Tag Team belt as "Fatu" of The Headshrinkers, and then later as the Rikishi we know and love.

Cactus Jack sort of held the WWF World Tag title with Terry Funk (as Chainsaw Charlie), though the win was held up; he also held it as Mankind and Dude Love.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 29, 2021

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Bob Holly might almost count? He was tag champion with 123 Kid in 1995 for ONE DAY while still doing the Sparky Plugg gimmick, then he was later tag champion with Crash Holly and Cody Rhodes, apparently, as Hardcore Holly. He was also "Bombastic Bob" in the New Midnight Express during the NWA invasion angle, where they won the NWA tag titles (by beating the Headbangers on Raw).

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Davros1 posted:

As mentioned, Rikishi held the WWF World Tag Team belt as "Fatu" of The Headshrinkers, and then later as the Rikishi we know and love.

Cactus Jack sort of held the WWF World Tag title with Terry Funk (as Chainsaw Charlie), though the win was held up; he also held it as Mankind and Dude Love.

I don’t think these two count. Rikishi was Rikishi Fatu/Phatu so he was always the same guy with a different character. If he won as Sultan, that would probably count. Same with Mick and his various gimmicks.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Lots of people have had multiple gimmicks/multiple tag teams, I think the original question was specifically about Dennis Knight and Mark Canterbury tagging first as Phineas and Henry Godwinn, and then later coming back under their shoot names as Southern Justice. It's kind of an edge case (like Too Much --> Too Cool for another example) where I think there was some acknowledgement (at least initially) that these are the same people with a new attitude, or whatever.

The only "two gimmicks, same two people, actually won the belt in both gimmicks" case I can think of is that in the dying days of WCW both "The Harris Brothers (Ron and Don)" and "Creative Control ("Gerald" and "Pat") were WCW tag champions together.

If we're talking individuals who won tag team titles in WWF/E under different gimmicks, you've got

- Billy Gunn (if you consider Smokin' Gunn Billy, Mr. rear end Billy, and Billy & Chuck Billy three separate gimmicks)
- Dude Love, Cactus Jack, and Mankind (same caveat applies)
- US Express Mike Rotundo + IRS
- 1-2-3 Kid + X-Pac
- Headshrinker Fatu + "Odd Couple Pairing Rico and" Rikishi
- Spirit Squad Nicky + Dirty Dawg Dolph Ziggler
- MNM Johnny Nitro + [Miz &] John Morrison
- Legacy Cody Rhodes + Stardust
- New Nexus Michael McGillicutty + B-Team Curtis Axel
- Wyatt Family/Bludgeon Brothers

Admittedly I think every single one of these were acknowledged on some level as the same person, but I don't remember how explicit each one was.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

I don’t think these two count. Rikishi was Rikishi Fatu/Phatu so he was always the same guy with a different character. If he won as Sultan, that would probably count. Same with Mick and his various gimmicks.

Headshrinker Fatu was a WILDLY different character that Stinkface Rikishi.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Headshrinker Fatu was a WILDLY different character that Stinkface Rikishi.

you're forgetting the pupa stage of his transformation, "Make A Difference" Fatu

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Where does The Sultan fit into this configuration?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Probably in the bin labeled "Another Racist Idea from Creative"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

The Sultan was Fatu hiding his identity after Samu started showing up in the crowd as a villainous street tough who was angry at Fatu for trying to make the streets a safer place

That never made it to tv but that actually happened

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Bob Holly might almost count? He was tag champion with 123 Kid in 1995 for ONE DAY while still doing the Sparky Plugg gimmick, then he was later tag champion with Crash Holly and Cody Rhodes, apparently, as Hardcore Holly. He was also "Bombastic Bob" in the New Midnight Express during the NWA invasion angle, where they won the NWA tag titles (by beating the Headbangers on Raw).

Bob and a Cody lost the titles to Ted DiBiase Jr and his mystery partner…Cody Rhodes. I believe that was Bob Holly’s final wwe appearance. Did Bob and Cody ever cross paths again outside of WWE?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
did the Godwins ever win the championship? also it's the Dirty Dawgz (and I think they're multiple time champs lol)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the godwinns probably won it like 4 different times in 1997 alone

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don’t remember the Godwinns having the titles, but apparently they had two reigns lasting only nine total days, so it was pretty easy to miss.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

I don’t remember the Godwinns having the titles, but apparently they had two reigns lasting only nine total days, so it was pretty easy to miss.

When they beat the Headbangers I believe it was because Henry dropped one of them on his head KO'd him

And the other time they were transitional for transition champs, they dropped the belts to the LOD who lost to the Outlaws

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

When they beat the Headbangers I believe it was because Henry dropped one of them on his head KO'd him

lol, have there been any other "shoot" title changes cause of injuries or ref gently caress ups (i think there was one in WWE during the covid era with one of the womens titles? also not including the montreal screw job)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hirez posted:

lol, have there been any other "shoot" title changes cause of injuries or ref gently caress ups (i think there was one in WWE during the covid era with one of the womens titles? also not including the montreal screw job)

A Diva's title change years ago on a overseas tour when the wrestler didn't kick out on time.

I mentioned Men on a Mission winning the tag belts because Mabel, who was making the cover, couldn't get up fast enough.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hirez posted:

It's not a title change but Mark Henry and Matt Hardy had a relatively hot feud going that kept getting derailed by injuries. When they finally had a big blow off tag match, someone forgot to kick out of a pin in time; Henry never even got into the ring and the refs had been instructed lately to count pinfalls and such even if the wrestler messed up the finish.

The ref was fired for it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

El Gallinero Gros posted:

And the other time they were transitional for transition champs, they dropped the belts to the LOD who lost to the Outlaws
Those were the same reign.

The Smoking Gunns vacated the belts in early 1996, with a tournament for the vacant belts culminating at Wrestlemania XII. The Body Donnas beat the Godwinns at WM, and then the Godwinns won the titles at the same MSG House Show as the curtain call, with Meltzer reporting that they were meant to be transitional champions for Owen Hart and Davey Boy Smith in the summer. Instead the Smoking Gunns won their titles back at the In Your House PPV a week later, and they dropped the belts to Owen/Davey in September

The Godwinn's second reign was in 1997, when they beat the Headbangers at In Your House: Badd Blood. The finish came via the debuting Uncle Cletus (aka TL Hopper) running in from the crowd to help them win, so I don't think it was an audible due to injury or anything. The Godwinns dropped the belts to the Legion of Doom two days later (live)/eight days later (aired) in their first title defense, and then the LoD dropped them to the New Age Outlaws about a month later.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hirez posted:

Toni Storm won the World of Stardom title cause Mayu Iwatani injured her Elbow during the match forcing the ref to stop it

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's not a title change but Mark Henry and Matt Hardy had a relatively hot feud going that kept getting derailed by injuries. When they finally had a big blow off tag match, someone forgot to kick out of a pin in time; Henry never even got into the ring and the refs had been instructed lately to count pinfalls and such even if the wrestler messed up the finish.

The ref was fired for it.

What was the name of that ref?

Also, I vaguely remember a story about a wrestler being told to stand up to Vince when pitching himself for a push (or something) and getting fired on the spot. What are the details there?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Web Jew.0 posted:

What was the name of that ref?

Also, I vaguely remember a story about a wrestler being told to stand up to Vince when pitching himself for a push (or something) and getting fired on the spot. What are the details there?

https://www.wrestling-world.com/amp/news/wwe/41/the-miz-screws-up-finish-but-referee-gets-fired/

Wes Adams. And it was Henry/Hardy on a team together, and the Miz who hosed up which, well..

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hirez posted:

SuperBrawl in 1998, Rick Martel was supposed to beat Booker T and then Saturn to retain the TV title. In the match with Booker T, though, Martel took a bump wrong and absolutely destroyed his knee and ended his career. So not only did he audible to put Booker over for the belt, Booker then at first had no idea if he was going to keep it or if they'd go with Saturn beating him for it immediately.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I think Kofi was told to stand up to Vince if he wanted a push but obviously he wasn't fired for it

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Kofi story: https://talksport.com/sport/wrestling/725647/kofi-kingston-chris-jericho-vince-mcmahon-wwe-fight/

Then there was Titus case: https://itrwrestling.com/news/arn-anderson-recalls-titus-oneill-grabbing-vince-mcmahon/

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

which botchamania has the coffin flop/coffin drop edit google is failing me atm

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Those were the same reign.

The Smoking Gunns vacated the belts in early 1996, with a tournament for the vacant belts culminating at Wrestlemania XII. The Body Donnas beat the Godwinns at WM, and then the Godwinns won the titles at the same MSG House Show as the curtain call, with Meltzer reporting that they were meant to be transitional champions for Owen Hart and Davey Boy Smith in the summer. Instead the Smoking Gunns won their titles back at the In Your House PPV a week later, and they dropped the belts to Owen/Davey in September

The Godwinn's second reign was in 1997, when they beat the Headbangers at In Your House: Badd Blood. The finish came via the debuting Uncle Cletus (aka TL Hopper) running in from the crowd to help them win, so I don't think it was an audible due to injury or anything. The Godwinns dropped the belts to the Legion of Doom two days later (live)/eight days later (aired) in their first title defense, and then the LoD dropped them to the New Age Outlaws about a month later.

Yeah, I distinctly remembered the Godwinns getting the belt around the time Sunny was in her 'ditch whomever her current guys were for whomever had the belt' phase.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Primo and Epico/The Shining Stars/The Colons were later repackaged as Los Matadores and were presented as different wrestlers (Diego and Fernando), though I believe they only won the belts as Primo and Epico.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

After the giant Dark Order HFO Tag Match on Dynamite it got me thinking. Whats the most wreslters that have been in a one fall to a finish match? Not including battles royal, royal rumbles or lumberjack matches.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

The first two Survivor Series' each had a 10 vs 10 tag on the card.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hirez posted:

A bit of a different situation: Blackjack Mulligan claimed he forced a pin in a November 1975 match to change the tag titles from the Blackjacks to Louis Cerdan to Tony Parisi because he said George Scott offered him a ton of money to go Mid-Atlantic (following the plane crash) and McMahon Sr. wouldn't let him go. Probably a load of bullshit as match results show that Mulligan was simultaneously working both territories at the time.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 30, 2021

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

disaster pastor posted:

SuperBrawl in 1998, Rick Martel was supposed to beat Booker T and then Saturn to retain the TV title. In the match with Booker T, though, Martel took a bump wrong and absolutely destroyed his knee and ended his career. So not only did he audible to put Booker over for the belt, Booker then at first had no idea if he was going to keep it or if they'd go with Saturn beating him for it immediately.

So in other words, Booker T's push in 1998 was purely by accident? I didn't know that, but... yep, sounds like WCW!

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Takuan posted:

The first two Survivor Series' each had a 10 vs 10 tag on the card.

Not one fall to a finish, though, since they were Survivor Series matches.

Off the top of my head: Cena/Orton vs. 17 guys on the Raw roster?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

rujasu posted:

So in other words, Booker T's push in 1998 was purely by accident? I didn't know that, but... yep, sounds like WCW!

Not purely. Martel had only won the TV title from Booker on the previous Nitro, and Booker had had it for a month at that point as the start of his singles push. But with Martel out of the picture, Booker got moved into the Benoit/Finlay feud that got credited with elevating him. (Though I have no idea if that was the original plan anyway and Martel's injury just moved up the timeline.)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

disaster pastor posted:

How many other times has a wrestler themselves* called an audible for a title match during the match because of an injury or similar?

*I assume Martel called it himself instead of the ref, I wouldn't be surprised if the refs didn't have earpieces in WCW.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That was such a shame. The Martel/Booker T stuff was so good (he said without bothering to confirm what his rapidly failing memory told him).

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dawgstar posted:

That was such a shame. The Martel/Booker T stuff was so good (he said without bothering to confirm what his rapidly failing memory told him).

At the time, as a teen, I thought Martel in WCW was so dumb and just another old WWF guy like the rest of them. After seeing some of his stuff recently again, I'm ready to admit I was wrong. He was still pretty fuckin' good, at least in the couple of matches I saw a few months back.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Suplex Liberace posted:

which botchamania has the coffin flop/coffin drop edit google is failing me atm

437 - 13:10

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
How soon do you think it will be before KENTA and Naomichi Marufuji get into the Hall of Fame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

At the time, as a teen, I thought Martel in WCW was so dumb and just another old WWF guy like the rest of them. After seeing some of his stuff recently again, I'm ready to admit I was wrong. He was still pretty fuckin' good, at least in the couple of matches I saw a few months back.

In Jericho's first book, I think it's Flair who tells Jericho that all you have in that company if you weren't NWO were having good matches and I think Martel realized it.